OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 23:56 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 1113.story

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 08:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very interesting! Somehow I don't think the ITTF will use this for promotional purposes :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2011, 20:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Good article. Anything that can make the lives of Alzheimer sufferers a little better has got to be a good thing! If TT helps us to prevent it without even realising it, that'd be remarkable!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 16:55 

That's such a good article :)

Dr Oz recently also was saying about tt and Alzheimers.Research showing it's a deterrent they're hoping.

Good stuff.Great game.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 01:20 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
That's pretty amazing that this article popped up.
I am a senior nursing student at oakland university and I have arranged for my local club is actually putting on a fundraiser for the alzheimer's association. It is at the Farmington Hills Table tennis Club on november 12th between 1-5 pm. It is a teaching and learning event were some of the best players in our state will be giving table tennis instruction to donors. Prizes have been donated by attack table tennis (Attacktabletennis.com), and spin nyc. Also Americantabletennis.com is providing paddles for beginners, and Able Health Care Services is sponsoring the whole event.

I have arranged for a PHD guest speaker to talk for a short time, and then there will be a short demo and the learning will begin followed with roughly 2 hours of free play.
The Alzheimer's Association in our area is excited about the event and has told me that if we get enough players to come they want to help us put together a program for the elderly and stage 1 alzheimers and dementia patients for local assistive living homes.

I'd love to eventually bridge that into research and grants because there is not a real scientific conclusive article supporting this claim, though there is research that exercise is great for alzheimer's and dementia. Hopefully we get there, and maybe I can turn that into a phd thesis one day.

Anyway if any of you would like to come to michigan on that specific date it would be wonderful:) If not. Wish me luck because between the press releases, and the video we are creating for the event and taping of the actual event. I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 03:52 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

I will of course be there to help and do what I can. There has been some research and I
even remember that DR.OZ on tv also said that Table Tennis/ ping pong was great for
cognitive thinking for the prevention of Alzheimer's. Good job Teddy. Cant wait to chop my
way up the ladder on the 12th

Peace GIG :clap:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 06:07 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Correct Bob. There has been some research but the research in japan is in progress, and currently none of the academic journals have and specific research to tie table tennis with prevention of ADT. Also Dr. Oz is a popular television show that took it's facts from popular resources.
Which is also why we have a need to further our knowledge in the benefits of table tennis to alzheimer's and dementia. It's a specific research that is only currently being worked with in LA and Japan as far as I know.

Hopefully we can create a great program here in Michigan:)

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 13:55 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Probably another reason why 'keen-agers' clubs are so popular! At our local club we have a Friday afternoon session for the less competitive and a few of them I've asked about why they enjoy the game answered that it was recommended by their doctors as a safe, low-impact sport.

One guy who had suffered a brain tumour used to be quite active (swimming, running, etc), but was advised by his doctor that he should consider a safer sport, table tennis. No, this doctor isn't a player (no vested interested), but certainly has been advised by his journals or seminars that table tennis is the best option.

Is table tennis really the fountain of youth?

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 14:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Oskar wrote:
Probably another reason why 'keen-agers' clubs are so popular! At our local club we have a Friday afternoon session for the less competitive and a few of them I've asked about why they enjoy the game answered that it was recommended by their doctors as a safe, low-impact sport.

One guy who had suffered a brain tumour used to be quite active (swimming, running, etc), but was advised by his doctor that he should consider a safer sport, table tennis. No, this doctor isn't a player (no vested interested), but certainly has been advised by his journals or seminars that table tennis is the best option.

Is table tennis really the fountain of youth?

You only have to take a look around some of the Melbourne TT clubs to see it is!! ;)

I reckon you could find enough "age-qualified" players to fill an Alzheimers ward and then some, that are as sharp as tacks still. Many of them, well over 70, would still beat the pants off most sub-50 players you could name. Go to a Vets tourney and watch them. They move slower and look like their shots should be easy to return...most people think that until they play them :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 07:03 

I hear you, Reborn. In fact, the older players have so much experience it's frightening and comforting. Just think how good we'll all be in our 'prime'. From my experience, what they might lack in terms of speed and flexibility they make up for in solid technique and guile!

This thread has already turned me into a mini-evangelist, going around to all my non-TT friends warning them that if they don't start playing soon they'll suffer the wrath of old age: alzheimer's, dementia, brittle bones, alien abduction, etc ...

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 16:41 

Oskar wrote:
I hear you, Reborn. In fact, the older players have so much experience it's frightening and comforting. Just think how good we'll all be in our 'prime'. From my experience, what they might lack in terms of speed and flexibility they make up for in solid technique and guile!

This thread has already turned me into a mini-evangelist, going around to all my non-TT friends warning them that if they don't start playing soon
Quote:
they'll suffer the wrath of old age: alzheimer's, dementia, brittle bones, alien abduction, etc ...
haha and loven the abduction bit :D

We have some older players that are very good too.Experience is great and I'm learning heaps from them.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 21:57 

mynamenotbob wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-alzheimers-pingpong-20110610,0,5651113.story

Awesome article. I hope this will help a lot for Alzheimer's and dementia patients.

PostPosted: 23 May 2013, 00:48 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Again it is very interesting in how many ways the Medical Fraternity are using our great game to benefit people with brain related issues! :clap:
In my Post of August 2012
Table Tennis is used in Stroke & Brain Injury Rehabilitation
I wrote of my wife's experience during her rehab after a serious head trauma caused in a car accident
"After she came home as a part of her of her rehabilitation at the Brain Injury Rehabilitation Centre they used TT to reteach her, balance, hand/eye co-ordination, lateral vision and thought & planning strategies." :up:
Before this rehab she had never played TT & now some 4 years later she plays at a club twice a week & loves it. :party: :party:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 23 May 2013, 22:32 
Super User

My original reason for studying Chinese was to try to slow my mental decline, but it's pretty sedate. That led to Chinese friends and ping-pong* and now club play. It's hard to measure which of these - mental or physical - is worth more, but I suspect it's the physical; being more fit lifts one's whole mental life to a more active state, not just during study-time.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 19:34 

Also the gathering I've been building at for nearly 4 yrs with help from partner and friend who's moved on (that soonish will become a club) I'm really happy to say we have some disability groups,(well one for now but plan to get more in near future with luck) in fairly regularly and I'm soooo happy to see some major improvement with play and even down to getting the ball without me having to remind them all the time.

Imagine what's happening in the brains with these beautiful mentally disabled people, it's pure magic to see them develope skills and that they probably had anyway and bringing them out. We also have a Blind lovely young chooky that plays incredibly well with her carer, you wanna see the action and rallies, Fast as ...phooey,... I'd be proud to be having them. She goes with a bigger ball, and it has a bell thing in it. Amazing.

So for all levels of cognitive action it's good.

tt rocks anyway...anyone that doesn't realise that needs to snap out of it lol

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!