OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 09:23 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
roundrobin wrote:
Here's my view:

-The advantage of SP chopping over LP is its ability to create significant spin of its own. By alternating spin and no-spin chops with a great range of spin variations, a SP defender forces an attacker to read spin correctly on every return, much more so than against LP choppers. If the new poly ball produces a X amount less of spin, then the range of spin that a SP chopper can produce will also be reduced by the X amount. This will make spin reading by the attacker easier by the X factor as well. At the world-class level for men, as soon as the spin on a chop is read correctly AND confidently by the attacker, the chopper will be at a great disadvantage.

-LPs allow a defender to chop the ball at various stages of the incoming ball's flight, unlike SPs which must wait until the ball reaches past maximum height. This means a LP chopper can cover the court much more effectively than SP choppers, regardless of the amount of spin on the ball. So in this regard I believe LPs will still be very important (if not more so) for the new poly ball era.

-I believe with reduced spin that will come with the new poly ball, SP choppers must be a lot more aggressive in attacking with SP on their bh, because spin variations will no longer be as effective as before. This in turn will force SP choppers to stay closer to the table. By seeking to punch-block weak loops to their bh more actively, they will be able to do so and at the same time put more pressure on their opponents. Which brings another point: The new poly ball will bring players closer to the table and to hit harder than ever before. Faster equipments will be introduced. Rallies will NOT get longer at the top level than it is now.

Thanks for your view, RR. It sure makes sense that LPs might be even more important than SPs in the new ball era, and also that the new ball might bring defenders closer to the table...

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 09:34 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Pipsy wrote:

*We hope to see you for many more matches, but when do you plan on retiring as a player?

Joo SaeHyuk: My plan is to retire in 2015. I wish I can play longer, but decided to retire because I'm disappointed with myself for not being able to play as dynamic and stylish as when I was younger.

2015 isn't far away anymore :( . On the one hand his reaction is a bit strange since Joo reached his highest rank (WR 5) only half a year ago. On the other hand it is understandable since he probably feels that he isn't as quick and 'stylish' as before.

2015 would mean he will give the new ball a (short) chance...

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 09:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pipsy wrote:
Pipsy wrote:

*We hope to see you for many more matches, but when do you plan on retiring as a player?

Joo SaeHyuk: My plan is to retire in 2015. I wish I can play longer, but decided to retire because I'm disappointed with myself for not being able to play as dynamic and stylish as when I was younger.

2015 isn't far away anymore :( . On the one hand his reaction is a bit strange since Joo reached his highest rank (WR 5) only half a year ago. On the other hand it is understandable since he probably feels that he isn't as quick and 'stylish' as before.

2015 would mean he will give the new ball a (short) chance...

He could adopt Akerstrom's style and play closer to the table... This way he will be able to extend his career for a few more years...

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 12:56 
Comeback Chopper

Joo SaeHyuk wrote in his interview:

"Wang Hao and Samsonov are the most difficult players for me. Wang Hao seems to have only the pros of the shakehand and penholder grips. His shots are strong and fast, and his backhand is flawless. Samsonov is good at defense and has the stamina that I cannot match."

I was not surprised that Wang Hao made this list, but I was surprised that Samsonov was listed and Xu Xin was not. I have watched several matches on youtube between Joo SaeHyuk and Samsonov. Even though Samsonov won each match, they did look like tough wins for Samsonov, that could have gone in Joo's favor with some breaks. Perhaps because Samsonov is so good a blocking Joo's loops, and because his strength is maintained to the end of the match, Joo has the feeling that even if the match is close the outcome will always favour Samsonov. For Xu Xin, on youtube, I have never seen Joo come close to winning. Even though Xu has an incredibly powerful loop, since at times his loop can be somewhat erratic, perhaps Joo has the feeling that Xu is beatable, in contrast to the always steady and consistent Samsonov.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 20:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sometimes even when you can beat a player, you don't always feel comfortable playing against them or their style. Perhaps spectators can't always see this...

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 03:24 

roundrobin wrote:

Here's my view:

-The advantage of SP chopping over LP is its ability to create significant spin of its own. By alternating spin and no-spin chops with a great range of spin variations, a SP defender forces an attacker to read spin correctly on every return, much more so than against LP choppers. If the new poly ball produces a X amount less of spin, then the range of spin that a SP chopper can produce will also be reduced by the X amount. This will make spin reading by the attacker easier by the X factor as well. At the world-class level for men, as soon as the spin on a chop is read correctly AND confidently by the attacker, the chopper will be at a great disadvantage.

-LPs allow a defender to chop the ball at various stages of the incoming ball's flight, unlike SPs which must wait until the ball reaches past maximum height. This means a LP chopper can cover the court much more effectively than SP choppers, regardless of the amount of spin on the ball. So in this regard I believe LPs will still be very important (if not more so) for the new poly ball era.

-I believe with reduced spin that will come with the new poly ball, SP choppers must be a lot more aggressive in attacking with SP on their bh, because spin variations will no longer be as effective as before. This in turn will force SP choppers to stay closer to the table. By seeking to punch-block weak loops to their bh more actively, they will be able to do so and at the same time put more pressure on their opponents. Which brings another point: The new poly ball will bring players closer to the table and to hit harder than ever before. Faster equipments will be introduced. Rallies will NOT get longer at the top level than it is now.

Hi RoundRobin! It makes sense with what you say and i agree with most of what you say, with one exception. world class attacking players will most likely dictate most points early on, the lack of spin variation choppers receive gives the chopper the harder time, less options and opportunities to hit a high quality first chop back; which is possible now with the rotation this ball gets; and I agree with Joo at the top level choppers with LP will suffer harm, or be limited; but for players under 2350 US rating or so, you might be right on. But once again you might be right at the club level. Nonetheless, we will be able to tell when the new equipment will come out!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 03:25 

by the way, very goooood interview...thanks

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 02:41 
Comeback Chopper

"Do you believe a (modern) defender can become number one in the world? If not, how should modern defense evolve to produce a number one in the world?

Of course it's possible, but I think that it'll be very challenging (for a defensive player to become the top player) because the opponent can control the game by starting the attack and by deciding its course."

I have sometimes wondered how a defensive player can be number one in the world. In addition to being a tremendous modern defender like Joo, with an incredible defense and very powerful forehand, I was thinking that perhaps the ultimate modern defender would be a player with Joo's skills but uses inverted on both sides, and can perform a backhand loop at a distance, similar to that of Kreanga. That would force the offensive player to attack very aggressively at all times, i.e., no relatively easy attacking shots to the defender's backhand. Does this sound reasonable? Is this type of defense possible? Presumably it would required chopping with something like tenergy 64 2.1mm on the backhand.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 03:42 

Why should such a player defend anyway then? Makes no sense :)

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 01:05 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

birding&table.tennis wrote:
"Do you believe a (modern) defender can become number one in the world? If not, how should modern defense evolve to produce a number one in the world?

Of course it's possible, but I think that it'll be very challenging (for a defensive player to become the top player) because the opponent can control the game by starting the attack and by deciding its course."

I have sometimes wondered how a defensive player can be number one in the world. In addition to being a tremendous modern defender like Joo, with an incredible defense and very powerful forehand, I was thinking that perhaps the ultimate modern defender would be a player with Joo's skills but uses inverted on both sides, and can perform a backhand loop at a distance, similar to that of Kreanga. That would force the offensive player to attack very aggressively at all times, i.e., no relatively easy attacking shots to the defender's backhand. Does this sound reasonable? Is this type of defense possible? Presumably it would required chopping with something like tenergy 64 2.1mm on the backhand.

Steven

I don't think this is so senseless and find it to be a rather challenging proposition... However, I doubt if it's realistic. Backhand loops from a distance should be somehow possible, but... is there any inverted chopper in today's world top 500? Yuto Muramatsu was... but he changed to short pips once he made it to top 300 or so... I think it's almost impossible to chop top player's powerloops today using inverted.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 01:54 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Quote:
I think it's almost impossible to chop top player's powerloops today using inverted.

Not sure impossible is the correct word - most of the top defensive players, if not all, will chop on their forehand with inverted rubbers. They never seem as effective as pimple loops though.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 03:09 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

WifWafWon wrote:
Quote:
I think it's almost impossible to chop top player's powerloops today using inverted.

Not sure impossible is the correct word - most of the top defensive players, if not all, will chop on their forehand with inverted rubbers. They never seem as effective as pimple loops though.

I meant especially BH chops...

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 06:46 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Table Tennis Daily also managed to have a great and extensive interview with Joo SaeHyuk, a very fine addition to our own interview! A lot of questions, some are very direct, but Joo SaeHyuk answered them all. You can find the interview at http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum ... rld-Rank-5) and I copy-pasted the interview text below, so we also can have further discussion and reactions about it here!

Joo Se Hyuk Interview - Professional Player (World Rank 5)
TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with Table Tennis professional Joo Se Hyuk!

Thanks for taking part in our TableTennisDaily interview Joo.

Full Name: Joo Se Hyuk
Date Of Birth: 1980, 01, 20
Height: 180
Club represented: Samsung Life and Ningbo (Chinese Super League 2012 season)
Highest World Ranking: 5

Equipment –

Peter wants to know what do you use?

Blade: Joo SaeHyuk
FH Rubber: 64 Tenergy 64
BH Rubber: tsp curl p-1

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?

I have been playing table tennis for 26 years, I started when I was 9 years old.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?

My parents.

You’re a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?

When I achieved a silver medal at Olympic games, I was praised by many others.

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?

I was completely vanquished by Wang Liqin at the World championships in 2008. I was devastated as it was the final game in my group.

YosuaYosan asks, What are your targets for 2013?

I want to show the world a great match at the World Championships in Paris, however I am not to sure whether I can go there.

Svttc ask, What made you want to become a chopper instead of the usual offensive attacker?

My Coach at primary school recommended me that I am good at being an offensive attacker.I mixed this with my chopping.

TTPoster asks, Did you believe you could reach the final of the WTTC 2003? How did this event change your life?

I never expected it at all it was a real achievement for me in my career. This event changed my life and I developed further skills and I also received a lot of praise and was recognised by many others around the world.

Editing Sports asks, How long time (till what age) did you play offensive style before changing to defensive style?

When I first started I was offensive for 1 year, and then I started to defend.

YosuaYosan asks, What is your major goal in your lifetime career in the sport of table tennis?

My major goal would be to become a Gold medal coach and to ramin as a respectful player around the world.

Equipment

TerIphik - Hi, I would like to know if the material (rubbers and blades) of professional players is the same to the same material as we (nonprofessional) buy in table tennis shops?

I receive Joo Sae Hyuk blades thats are non-professional but they make special order for professional players. My forehand rubber is a special order and my backhand rubber is received from my team.

Do you use booster to enhance your rubber?

Honestly I do not boost, I only used it for one year during 2009-2010

sebas-aguirre asks, What do you think of players boosting/tuning their rubbers?

I only agree within the limit that they are able to control use.

Wang asks, do you think boosted players have an advantage over defensive players?

It is an advantage to boost as during 2009-2009 I really felt more backspin on my chops as the rubber was softer.

jedimasterplk asks: Why do pro's like Tenergy so much - what differentiates it from other rubbers

I'm not 100% sure, but players seem to find it very good for the power and control.

Pingpongpom asks, The plastic ball will have a number of effects on the defensive game. Have you had a chance to chop with a plastic ball yet? What implications do you think the introduction of the new ball will have on your game and the games of other world class defensive players and do you think it will improve or reduce your performance level on the World Tour and in major events?

I have tried the plastic ball and there is overall reduced spin and therefore it is a disadvantage for the defensive player. I may need to change rubber or blade to adapt to the ball.

Spinandspeed asks, At the Hungarian Open 2012 you beat Zhang Jike 4:0. After the Match you Said you've switched to other pips. To which Ones you switch to?

At the time my rubbers were Glass D Tecs, but I changed to Curl P-1 from TSP just before I played with Jang Ji Kur.

YosuaYosan asks, -Has the speed glue ban affected your game? Could you specify?

At the beginning players suffered due to the reduce speed and controlling the ball, but now it is ok we are use to it.

YosuaYosan asks, -We generally see Korea's National Team member using non-Chinese rubber.. Why don't the Korean National team use Chinese rubber?

This is because we cannot get the Chinese National Team Rubbers.

chuklebolt asks, Do you think you could have achieved more if you decided to go with 2 inverted rubbers and play offensively or an all round game instead of being a defensive chopper?

I don't think I would have been able to achieve what I have done offensively. It might of been a bad idea

Table Tennis in general

ttmonster asks, What do you believe should be done to encourage more choppers in the game ? Do you play to work on making defensive game more popular after you have retired from the sport?

I would really like to emphasise that stamina and being dynamic is essential in making the chopping game more popular. You need to be creative. Sorry, I haven't thought about retirement just yet.

Steven asks, What do you think of Yuto Muramatsu and Kang Dong Soo? Can they become the next best defensive players and reach the top 10 of the world like you?

They might be to defensive, however both player have lots of ability and potential and I look forward to their future achievements.

derekho asks, How do you change the spins when you chop but still make the actions look the same? When forehand chopping, how to chop a heavy backspin ball and no-spin ball with the same actions? How to change what you're doing to the spin when you're chopping on the backhand side, (long pimples)?

I tend to apply the same amount of spin on the backhand side, but i change spin on my forehand depending on the situation. Changing spin requires work on the hands, arms and understanding the spin on the ball.

PaulJ5 asks, what do you think will the future of chopping in table tennis? We see less and less choppers at the top..

Yes you are right. It is long a journey and I had to learn a lot and it was hard work however many players tend to dislike and quit and begin playing offensive.

China - Table Tennis

GECA asks: What's your view on the Chinese dominance at the moment, Why are the Chinese players so good do you believe?

China have managed to perfectly develop not only domestic table tennis but also international game. Lots of research conducted by coaches, associations and forecast for future developments in table tennis.

Tom asks, How was your experience playing in the China Super League, is this the most exciting event to take part in??

Yes, it is very exciting for me it was such an experience. Not only strong opposition but so many hidden strong candidates which made it very interesting.

You were on the same team as Ma Long representing team Ningbo. What was it like playing with the world no.1 table tennis player? We saw the two of you had a very close relationship.

Yes, I do have a close relationship with the Chinese players, unlike in European players we have a very similar culture background.

Do you have anything interesting to tell us about Ma Long? What was he like in the training hall?

He is a very talkactive person and always creates funny things. Is a funny man.

Pingpingpongpong asks, how do you communicate with Ma Long? English or Chinese?

We spoke half Chinese and half English together. Ma Long speaks a little English.

Training

FuryToMax asks, What kind of exercises do you do for your footwork and for chopping with either side?

I practice a lot of movement backwards and forewords footwork on the BH and FH side (defensive and attack) I also practice a lot of irregular/unpredicted practice.

Bollforte94 asks: How do you train your footwork? You are extremely fast on your feet! What do you do off the table? Jog, jump, sprint?

Yes, lots of intensive jogging and weight training.

What do you practice the most? What aspect is most important in the game table tennis?

Lots of basic practice this is important, and chopping and forehand topspin..

xxdreppexx asks, how much do you now practice a week?

I practice two hours per day, but rest on Sunday.

Do you serve practice often?

I don’t serve practice much, but before a big match I practice half an hour each day.

Leankints asks: Do you train on the mental aspects of the game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?

I had an experience of training on the mental aspects and I think this is important even though I don't do it that much.

Legislate – If you don’t have much coaching, do you motivate yourself. Can you still be a good player without a coach?

I don’t practice much and I do not receive a lot of coaching, it is just there to give me mental support.

Matches

Der_Echte asks, You have brought a lot of excitement to the sport of Table Tennis. When you play vs a top player, the crowd is on its feet nearly every point going wild cheering. What do you feel the sport could use to bring this kind of excitement to more matches across the ITTF?

Yes you right! I think the crowd need to cheer more with wild cheering, this will help the atmosphere. Also, more top ranked players need to enter the tournaments.

Super Chopper asks, If you don't mind Joo, which attacking players do you find playing difficult against in the top 30 in the world?

Ryu Seung Min, Wang Hao, and Vladimir Samsonov are very difficult to play.

Joelstar asks: What warm ups do you do before a game to get you ready to compete?

Starching and a light practice.

Gauravvrak – Wants your mind strategy when you are 2-0 down. What do you think to have the belief to get back into the match?

I try to become more relaxed and I try to be more creative to change the game player. Hopefully this will give me an opportunity to get a set.

YosuaYosan asks, What do you do to prevent choking?

Usually, after one set I am fine however I can get slightly nervous towards the ending of the game.

Do you watch yourself on youtube?

Yes I have seen some great tributes and clips. I really enjoy those on youtube. i really like the 1 ball point videos to.

Do you watch your opponents on youtube to find out how they play and tactics you can use?

No, because they are all edited versions.

Editing Sports asks, What's your best match ever?

All of the games I played in at the World Championships in 2003.

Off the topic questions

Who’s the most famous person you know through table tennis?

We all know each other

Who’s your favorite sportsman of all time?

Song Jin Woo from Han Wa (Professional baseball player)

Favorite film?

I like all.

What car do you drive?

I have BMW 528 and HD NF Sonata.

What’s your favorite music?

Rock ballade, Queen and K-POP

What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?

I play with my kids and go out for a drink with mates.

Do you eat well or eat junk good?

I do like a Korean food and also fast foods some time.

PS3 or XBOX 360?

I PS3 a lot, football and baseball games

Have you browsed the website TableTennisDaily.co.uk before?

Ha ha ha.............Sorry I haven't, but maybe in the future ill check it out .

Your team mates

Who’s the funniest player in the training hall?

Ryu Seung Min, he does lots of jokes, he jokes around a lot, he is funny.

What is your motto in training?

Train like you're in a match

Who trains the hardest in the training hall?

Jung Young sik.

Who has the best nickname?

We call Scotty to Oh Sang Eun because looks like NBA player, Scotty Pippen

And lastly, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the TableTennisDaily forum to learn and know more about the life of a professional player.

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspirational message to us passionate members of TableTennisDaily?

Thanks for loving my table tennis play, I feel obliged to always play your very best in every match all the time, we need your support and love. Thanks again guys!

Happy Table Tennis

Joo See Hyuk

Good luck in your next competition

Thanks for your time Joo!

TableTennisDaily
TTD want to thank Juyoung Joun for helping contact and retrieve this interview from Joo

Last edited by Pipsy on 04 Apr 2013, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 07:02 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Quote:
derekho asks, How do you change the spins when you chop but still make the actions look the same? When forehand chopping, how to chop a heavy backspin ball and no-spin ball with the same actions? How to change what you're doing to the spin when you're chopping on the backhand side, (long pimples)?

I tend to apply the same amount of spin on the backhand side, but i change spin on my forehand depending on the situation. Changing spin requires work on the hands, arms and understanding the spin on the ball.

That's a really interesting point - no spin variation on the LPs.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 08:44 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Am I the only one who found some inconsistencies across the two interviews (the one of OOAK and the one of TTDaily)?

Examples:
1) We all know he doesn't play the Joo.
2) We know he switches between P1-R and DTecs.
3) His coach at primary school advised him to go defensive.
4) He also mentioned he didn't have plans of becoming a coach, while it's now his main goal.
5) He says he never thought about retirement, but in our interview he stated otherwise (2015 if I recall correctly).

I also find some questions to be answered in a quite standard way.

To be honest: or he didn't answer TTDaily's interview, or he didn't answer ours, or he didn't answer both our interviews. I think it's the first option. I think someone close to him, however, answered the questions.

Last edited by Lorre on 04 Apr 2013, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!