OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 05:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 08:41 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Aye I bet Joo is a Man Utd fan. They've gotten rid of Park now but they've acquired even greater talent Shinji Kagawa so I'd imagine it shan't be long before the Japanese go Man Utd crazy too!

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 08:58 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Def-attack wrote:
Perhaps I should give DTecs another go :)

You feel the EJ bug biting again, don't you, DA? :P

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 16:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Quote:
What impact did ITTF decisions (like the 38mm ball) have on top level table tennis, and what influence do you think the new PVC balls will have (in particular for defenders and defensive style)?

The decision can benefit some players while hindering others. The players are somewhat weary because they have to make adjustments (in response to the frequent changes in the rules). Also, the PVC ball doesn't spin very well. Again, it's likely that the new ball will be a hinderance for long pip users.

I guess this comment did not really surprise me, as this was my own finding as well, but it's great to hear it direct from an Elite player that plays with LP as well!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 16:32 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Lorre wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
Perhaps I should give DTecs another go :)

You feel the EJ bug biting again, don't you, DA? :P

It's always there, buried deep in the pips of my P-4, but sometimes it crawl up to the surface, just to show its ugly face :)

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 16:43 
The Unprogrammable Player

haggisv wrote:
Was anyone else surprised to read this:
Joo wrote:
There are pros and cons for both DTecs and P1-R, and they vary depending on the table tennis table being played on. That's why I switch back and forth.

I've never heard of anyone changing rubber depending on the table being played on! :o :o :o

If we could only do a followup on that... :rofl: :rofl:

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 21:57 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Thanks for all the "thank you" messages and appreciation!

Steven and I are working on a thank you note to Joo SaeHyuk and to Roy Yun. We will do this on behalf of the forum and provide the link to the interview (and the reactions). We will also invite Joo SaeHyuk to join the forum!

Justas,
About the idea of a follow-up... Steven and I are not sure if it would be desirable to add any more questions through email conversation for Joo. Compared to other interviews we've seen on the web, our interview of Joo was rather long, and he was so gracious and patient in answering everything. We would think that it would be ideal if he joined our forum, that way we could ask him lots more questions. But maybe that's too much wishful thinking...

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 22:18 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Pipsy wrote:
Thanks for all the "thank you" messages and appreciation!

Steven and I are working on a thank you note to Joo SaeHyuk and to Roy Yun. We will do this on behalf of the forum and provide the link to the interview (and the reactions). We will also invite Joo SaeHyuk to join the forum!

Justas,
About the idea of a follow-up... Steven and I are not sure if it would be desirable to add any more questions through email conversation for Joo. Compared to other interviews we've seen on the web, our interview of Joo was rather long, and he was so gracious and patient in answering everything. We would think that it would be ideal if he joined our forum, that way we could ask him lots more questions. But maybe that's too much wishful thinking...

He might want to join our forum, but I think the problem is the language. He speaks a little English, but not a lot. :( Maybe we should start a Korean section? :P

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 22:56 
The Unprogrammable Player

Pipsy wrote:
Justas,

I totally agree with you, that's why I left " :rofl: " at the end. Meaning you didn't have to respond to that at all :P

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 20:41 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Lorre wrote:
He might want to join our forum, but I think the problem is the language. He speaks a little English, but not a lot. :( Maybe we should start a Korean section? :P

If Joo really would like to join the forum to answer some more questions, I think we will surely find some way of translating both the questions and the answers.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 20:49 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Pipsy wrote:

*Based on your experience, due to the changes in the equipment rules, how would you advise a youngster now starting the game who wants to be a defender? Would you suggest that they play with long pips, or should they turn to double inverted and attacking play? Would your answer be different depending on what standard of play they were aiming to achieve?

It's very challenging to be a defensive player. In order to win, you need to practice both offense and defense. It's really difficult to win with defense alone, so it's necessary to play offense - not just offense, but at the same level that the offensive players perform. Moreover, my guess is that long pips will be less beneficial when the ball changes to plastic in 2014. I've used it, and found that much less spin is produced.

*What impact did ITTF decisions (like the 38mm ball) have on top level table tennis, and what influence do you think the new PVC balls will have (in particular for defenders and defensive style)?

The decision can benefit some players while hindering others. The players are somewhat weary because they have to make adjustments (in response to the frequent changes in the rules). Also, the PVC ball doesn't spin very well. Again, it's likely that the new ball will be a hinderance for long pip users.

I have been wondering this before: would the upcoming ball change be the reason why there are some short pips choppers appearing on the scene lately? Would the ball change be less detrimental for short pip players?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 21:53 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Pipsy wrote:
I have been wondering this before: would the upcoming ball change be the reason why there are some short pips choppers appearing on the scene lately? Would the ball change be less detrimental for short pip players?

I suppose it is less detrimental for SP choppers because they can impart a great deal of spin themselves. But the creation of a SP chopper is started some 10/15 years ago. Then there was no sign of the arrival of the new polyball.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 05:58 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Lorre wrote:
Pipsy wrote:

I suppose it is less detrimental for SP choppers because they can impart a great deal of spin themselves. But the creation of a SP chopper is started some 10/15 years ago. Then there was no sign of the arrival of the new polyball.

A few things that come to my mind:

1) If the new ball is less spinny, it will also be harder for SP choppers to create their own spin (?)

2) Creation of SP choppers is started some 10/15 years ago when indeed there was no sign of polyballs. However when we go 10/15 years back, we are close to the introduction of the 40mm ball in 2000. Maybe the combination of a slower and less spinny game benefits SP chopping (?)

3) At the same time, LP chopping seems to be flourishing the last couple of years, with quite some LP top 100 players and with Joo Saehyuk even ranked number 5 some months ago. I don't know what the situation was 10 or even 20 years ago (?)

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 12:20 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Only now that I was able to read the full interview! Where had I been :lol: .

This is very inspiring indeed.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 15:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pipsy wrote:
Lorre wrote:
Pipsy wrote:

A few things that come to my mind:

1) If the new ball is less spinny, it will also be harder for SP choppers to create their own spin (?)

2) Creation of SP choppers is started some 10/15 years ago when indeed there was no sign of polyballs. However when we go 10/15 years back, we are close to the introduction of the 40mm ball in 2000. Maybe the combination of a slower and less spinny game benefits SP chopping (?)

3) At the same time, LP chopping seems to be flourishing the last couple of years, with quite some LP top 100 players and with Joo Saehyuk even ranked number 5 some months ago. I don't know what the situation was 10 or even 20 years ago (?)

Here's my view:

-The advantage of SP chopping over LP is its ability to create significant spin of its own. By alternating spin and no-spin chops with a great range of spin variations, a SP defender forces an attacker to read spin correctly on every return, much more so than against LP choppers. If the new poly ball produces a X amount less of spin, then the range of spin that a SP chopper can produce will also be reduced by the X amount. This will make spin reading by the attacker easier by the X factor as well. At the world-class level for men, as soon as the spin on a chop is read correctly AND confidently by the attacker, the chopper will be at a great disadvantage.

-LPs allow a defender to chop the ball at various stages of the incoming ball's flight, unlike SPs which must wait until the ball reaches past maximum height. This means a LP chopper can cover the court much more effectively than SP choppers, regardless of the amount of spin on the ball. So in this regard I believe LPs will still be very important (if not more so) for the new poly ball era.

-I believe with reduced spin that will come with the new poly ball, SP choppers must be a lot more aggressive in attacking with SP on their bh, because spin variations will no longer be as effective as before. This in turn will force SP choppers to stay closer to the table. By seeking to punch-block weak loops to their bh more actively, they will be able to do so and at the same time put more pressure on their opponents. Which brings another point: The new poly ball will bring players closer to the table and to hit harder than ever before. Faster equipments will be introduced. Rallies will NOT get longer at the top level than it is now.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 21:03 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
How much less spin are we talking?

If it's a significant amount, there's a chance that certain players will be able to drive through the backspin produced by LPs, which would make them redundant?

If it's a less-significant amount, you'd imagine that the spin variation produced by SPs will still be effective.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!