OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 20:09 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://www.tabletennismaster.com/profil ... ly-believe

Is this article correct?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 22:01 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
mynamenotbob wrote:
http://www.tabletennismaster.com/profiles/blogs/one-myth-about-attacking-backspin-that-you-probably-believe

Is this article correct?

I heard this also and I experienced a very high level player who used this technique. I misread what he sent to me, but I was lower level then, so I can't know how I would do it now against him. I think, however, it's 1) a lower percentage shot and 2) it generates more speed than spin.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 02:16 
The King

mynamenotbob wrote:
http://www.tabletennismaster.com/profiles/blogs/one-myth-about-attacking-backspin-that-you-probably-believe

Is this article correct?

Of course this is correct, all depends on timing, touch and bat angle. One question I often ask players is if they think it is easier to smash a high bouncing backspin or topspin ball. Most of the time they will answer topspin while in fact it is much easier to smash a high backspin ball. Again, depends on timing, touch and bat angle.

The example in the article is the same principle but more difficult to perform.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 07:41 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

i suppose the dame can be said about attacking backspin near the floor :P as it slows down spin wise :P

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 16:54 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

decoy wrote:
i suppose the dame can be said about attacking backspin near the floor :P as it slows down spin wise :P

I think a little too hard to top spin a backspun ball near the floor, maybe if you were doing the old roll on the floor under the table shot and it hit the op leg and rolled up and off his belly button and on the table trick

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 18:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm not convinced that the effect is that significant, compared to the spin already on the ball.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 02:07 
Super User

The article is completely true... and this has also great effect on the loop styles differences. You can see that chinese players hit with more power, more straight arm and more weight of their body, producing a straighter flyng path and a faster ball that in general is less spinney. European instead use the foreharm much more, resulting in a generally more round trajectory and more spin put less spin. The best ones of each type usually are able to mix the two things a bit or very much (don't think that wang hao's forehand is not spinny and bolls one is so slow! :D ). The modern tecnique used by zhang jike, ma long, Fan zhendong and others is almost a perfect mix between the two approaces: they still use a pretty straight arm and use their body a lot, but with also a good use of their foreharm, especially near the table, when speed is needed in fast shots (look at zhang jike's or yan an's at the table counterloop).

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 12:23 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Hm....Interesting thought. I might give it a try. Attacking backspin early huh? Generally, when I do that, it's a flick.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 14:10 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Hmm, a year later I'll add my response! (For future readers of course.)

Yes, it is true. This is actually the secret to continiously relooping to a frictionless OX LP player. Because you don't increase the amount of topspin on the ball each time, and an OX defender can't add much spin, it puts the attacker in control.

Instead of top spinning the underspin, you take the ball on the rise, with almost a topspin v topspin style loop/hit, except you open your bat more to counter-act the underspin. Your bat angle, not your stroke angle, do most of the compensating.

The top players becoming good at this technique, is one of the main reasons defenders get continiously defeated at the top level. :'( :'( :'( If attckers always had to turn all of the underspin into topspin (instead of just some of it), it would be a defenders dream.

In the demo slow-mo video Zhang is using a mixture of both styles to give himself "margin" against under spin variation, but he will switch to a more brutal hit (as described above) on balls he is confident with.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club