OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 11:40 
Hard Justice

Regardless of whether China wins or not, the real let down is knowing exactly who is going to win before the tournament even starts. Half the fun of watching a sport lies in the suspense of the outcome. China winning every time is exactly this, hence people are sick of seeing China win.

It's about as exciting as watching the Bears win the Superbowl every year, if you already knew the Bears were going to win before the playoffs even started.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 13:52 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
I agree with many of the points here; China wins because of the effort they put into it. There professional players train daily. It's their sole job. And they have a huge amount of people that do that.

Even if other countries trained with them, they wouldn't become as good as the top Chinese players unless they had the access to constant, daily practice with others who do the same.

I don't think the Chinese have some "mumbo jumbo" that they pull to win. They just have a ridiculous amount of dedication and skills to draw from. They are rewarded with almost complete dominance of the sport.

Us people in the U.S. (I can't speak for Europe) attempt to be well-rounded. I'm in a 4-year degree program for and undergraduate degree (In Chemistry; WOOH!), and about half of the credit hours I'm taking in the entire program are for the Core Curriculum (They have to do with general education, not my specific major).

Is that a good thing? There are advantages and disadvantages.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that in China, most education received is for that person's specific area of work. Much more specialized.

Is that true, hookshot?

And how is that in Europe and Australia?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 15:37 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Adham says;
"Even in China itself, the general public is getting tired of seeing China winning all the time," said Sharara.

"We need more co-operation from the Chinese. They're opening the door but ever so slowly. They need to sacrifice to make the others better, even to lose to the others, so the sport becomes more and more interesting." said Sharara.

I never heard anyone in China say they were tired of seeing China win. They are very proud of winning. Table tennis is on TV there all the time. They watch it and cheer on thier players.
Adhams suggestion the Chinese throw matches, or tournements to make the sport more interesting is just unbelievable to me.
Is throwing matches or tourneys even legal? :n: That might even promote illegal gambling? Oh, top players would not do that? Really? Train all your life to be the best and be told to throw this match/tourney? Throw a $50,000 prize away because you are told to? To make the sport "more interesting"?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 15:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

THE GAMEr wrote:
Us people in the U.S. (I can't speak for Europe) attempt to be well-rounded. I'm in a 4-year degree program for and undergraduate degree (In Chemistry; WOOH!), and about half of the credit hours I'm taking in the entire program are for the Core Curriculum (They have to do with general education, not my specific major).

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that in China, most education received is for that person's specific area of work. Much more specialized.

Education in China, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea is extremely competitive. On average most students by age 18 would have received what's equivalent to at least two years of extra education in STEM classes, and on par in GE classes as compared to U.S. students. Most high school graduates from these countries would be shocked by the low level of STEM classes that most U.S. freshmen are taking when they start college. In other words, the fact is Chinese, Japanese and South Korean students would have completed a much heavier science-and-math-based curriculum when they apply for college than U.S. students. They still must take all the GE classes as well before they start college: Chinese (or Japanese, Korean, etc.), Literature, History, Geography, Political Science, PE, and English (every year for at least ten years). Most universities in these countries also require all their students to take the usual non-Major core classes that U.S. colleges require as well. Social life as U.S. students know it does not exist for the majority of students in China (big cities areas in China only), Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 22:11 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
hookshot wrote:
I never heard anyone in China say they were tired of seeing China win. They are very proud of winning. Table tennis is on TV there all the time. They watch it and cheer on thier players.

Even in the UK, mainland Chinese people (I'm talking mostly about people I encounter in Chinese medicine places - of whom I've met a dozen or more) are potty about table tennis. My back and shoulders and neck need fairly regular massage, and we often discuss what sport I play. When I explain 'Ping Pang Cho' they are thrilled, and start talking about the Chinese players, male and female, and how awesome they are.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 14:30 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
roundrobin wrote:
THE GAMEr wrote:

Education in China, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea is extremely competitive. On average most students by age 18 would have received what's equivalent to at least two years of extra education in STEM classes, and on par in GE classes as compared to U.S. students. Most high school graduates from these countries would be shocked by the low level of STEM classes that most U.S. freshmen are taking when they start college. In other words, the fact is Chinese, Japanese and South Korean students would have completed a much heavier science-and-math-based curriculum when they apply for college than U.S. students. They still must take all the GE classes as well before they start college: Chinese (or Japanese, Korean, etc.), Literature, History, Geography, Political Science, PE, and English (every year for at least ten years). Most universities in these countries also require all their students to take the usual non-Major core classes that U.S. colleges require as well. Social life as U.S. students know it does not exist for the majority of students in China (big cities areas in China only), Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.

Thanks for clearing that up. Guess I was wrong on that point :)

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2014, 22:47 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I'll tell Adham what we are tired of. We are tired of every club in the world struggling to hold its numbers and the average level of players diminishing every year. No one whos just a club player gives a crap whos winning or losing in the fantasy world he seems to be overly concerned about :). All they want is to be able to play the game they know and enjoy without some French muppets continuously messing it up because I they have some irrational theory that China is can't be beaten without CV hanging the sport.... Of course they can if any one else really cared. But we don't, it doesn't make them less fun to watch because they happen to be Chinese. Theres an enviroment in China right now where training and striving for perfection matters. It won't matter for long so enjoy it while it lasts.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!