OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2009, 23:30 
Chinese Forum Spy

[translated article] An introduction to famous short pips
How pimple out rubbers perform greatly influences our choices for them. The following aims to differentiate the common types that are floating around on the market:

Friendship RICT 802 series: This series includes 802, 802-1 and 802-40 these three types. Of these the 802 and the 802-1 have smaller pimples, with the 802 being more balanced; it has good speed and good spin. This is a common choice for amateur players. The 802-1 is more geared toward speed, and is much closer in style to traditional pips-out rubbers, fast speed, noticeable sinking effect when attacking, drives tend to float a little (ie, high speed not high power), but the ability to generate spin is lowered. Both the 802 and the 802-1 are available in OX (topsheet only, no sponge), and also comes under various sponges. Prices are quite economical.

The 802-40 is a large pimpled pips out rubber, and satisfies the requirements for a pips looping stroke. Very allrounded, and is used by many professionals, including Liu Guoliang in the later years. 802-40 has a very strong ability to produce its own spin, and its attacking power exceeds both the 802 and the 802-1. However the 802-40 doesn’t have a noticeable sinking effect, and the ball trajectories are closer to that of inverted rubbers. It is rare to find it sold as topsheet alone, and typically costs a fair bit more than most Chinese pips. Typically sold under either a Japanese sponge or a German sponge. The Jap sponged version is quicker and favors a hitting style, while the German sponged version has more power and small loops are even more penetrating.

Double Happiness series: Double Happiness was once the only equipment choice for the Chinese National Team. Their famous offerings are the 651, 652.
The 651 (1980’s version), 652 (1980’s version), PF4-651, PF4-652 represent traditional pips out rubbers. The pips are slippery, small in size, and have small patterns on the pimples. This makes the rubber have good rebound speed, good sinking effect, but it reduces its ability to generate spin. However, loops are floaty which compensate the lack of spin. These are classical Chinese pip out rubbers, but are very hard to find today.

The newer versions of 651 and 652 perform dramatically different to their predecessors. However for those who like to play “weird balls”, they may still want to have a try with them.

Recently [in relation to when the article was written] DHS pushed two new pips out rubbers onto the market, namely Sharping and Dragonow. Sharping basically copied 652’s abilities, although it doesn’t play quite as well. Dragonow was developed to further players’ requirement to loop with pips, thus the pips are larger and provide better friction, but we can still see the reminiscing shadow of the 652. It could be said that the Dragonow is the 40mm ball version of the 652, and would suit players that like to small loop.
Also, DHS has used their #12 sponge on pips out rubbers for many years now, however its production is limited and usually only offered to provincial or national teams.

Dawei 388B series: Pips out rubbers that carry the traditional characteristics. Two rubbers belong in this series, the 388B and the 388B-1, both are available in OX and with sponge, prices are economical. The 388B has small pips, even smaller than those of the 802, and nearing the 651 region, its overall ability is above average and has decent speed and spin.

The 388B-1 has larger pips, the size is identical to 802-40, and the topsheet has a high percentage of natural rubber, making it lean towards a raw pip. Its speed is blazingly fast and its spin generation is not bad. This makes it a very impressive pips out rubber. Hitting with it is very crisp, and maintains that traditional feel of pips out rubbers. Just by these strong points, it can be enough to be a replacement for 652. Really quite an amazing pips out rubber that’s good at everything.

[Editor’s note: Please be adware that as of last year or so, both rubbers were removed from the ITTF approved list]
X& l' b* b- U( d

Epoch/Bomb series; otherwise known as the Hammer series is developed by Epoch (which is sold under Bomb). Its appearance is similar to 802-40, and has similar characteristics. Fast speed, good spin, it’s not a bad rubber. Hammer is sold in OX and comes under sponge, and to a certain extent can be a substitute for 802-40. It comes under quite a few sponges, the “Japan” Bomb 4 sponge (made in China), which is quite cheap, and the other two are 1st generation and 2nd generation tensor sponge. This is the first rubber to face the glue ban problem for pips out players. There is also the Japanese sponge, which is a bit faster, and the German sponge, which bites the ball better and has greater power.

Globe series: Globe 889 was once used by both Liu Guoliang and Chen Longcan. Its spin generation is not bad, and although in sheer speed it falls below the 802, but the ball behaves strangely and sinks considerably. Suitable for those looking to play “weird” balls. Also the XuShaoFa 889 pips out rubber is a copy of this rubber.

TSP series: The two more famous ones are Spinpips and Tyranno. Spinpips is the rubber Liu Guoliang used the longest in his career, it has fast speed and strong spin generation. Afterwards it was banned, so TSP came up with Spinpips MD to replace it. Strong spin, but much slower speed. The MD has much more “normal” trajectories, it relies on the user’s ability to use effectively, and pays off good technique. and up to now is still a choice for professional players.

The Tyranno is a newer pip from TSP, it has fast speed and noticeable sink when attacking, it also has a rather strong spin generating ability, but its price is on the high side.

Stiga series: famous pips include the Clippa and the Radical. The Clippa once came on premades with the Clipper wood blade, and was tested by Liu Guoliang. It has a high percentage of natural rubber, and leans towards a half raw pip. It has good spin, and good speed, and noticeable sinking on hits.
Radical is a newer product from Stiga, it has harder pips, and slightly worse control, but it has much more sink.

Butterfly series: Butterfly is a good representation of pips in general in the Japanese and European markets, their pips aren’t separated into “cooked” [which I’ve been calling pips out] and “raw” pips, they all tend to fall into the half raw pip category. The most used rubbers include: Challenger (used by Gao Jun), Speedy P.O., Imperatial, Rein (Used by Chen Jing).

The Challenger and the Speedy P.O. both have outstanding characteristics, while the Imperatial and the Rein have considerable sink, and can be used as if they were raw pips.

Raystorm is their newest creation and claims to be a high tension pips out rubber. Its abilities are similar to that of the Tyranno.

Matching blade: just a quick mention as to what is typically chosen to fit pips out rubbers. The most common blade is a 7-ply all wood that has a hard feel to it, or a composite blade (usually carbon). Commonly seen are: Stiga Clipper Wood (Liu Guoliang), Butterfly Clearfield (Chen Jing), Butterfly SK7, Avalox P700, Butterfly Shamada, Butterfly Chinese Real, DHS “old 08”, 032, and the Sword King (from Sword).

Matching sponges: apart from using stock sponges, you can DIY and choose a sponge to match what you want. A typically thickness is around 2.1mm, and roughly 35 degrees or so. Some of the better choices are: DHS #12 sponge, Japan GP3 sponge, Bomb 4 sponge varieties, Tibhar 3 sponge, Donic sponge, ESN sponges etc.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 02:24 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Great article. I enjoyed reading it. What exactly is the difference between "cooked" pips and "raw" pips?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 02:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks, it's good to have a different perspective on these as well as some historical background.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 06:42 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I Enjoyed reading this short pip article, thanks Gek's.

Shame on the 388B-1 being removed from the list, as it was a great rubber.

Well I think the difference between raw and cooked pips. Is that the cooked pimples are treated in someway sorta like with Lp's. Too behave strangly.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 07:36 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Aye, enjoyed reading this article. Thanks geko!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 07:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

A question, that I also noticed about Kees's discussion of 651: "The 651 (1980’s version), 652 (1980’s version), PF4-651, PF4-652 represent traditional pips out rubbers. "

So is the PF4-651 not the same as the new version 651?

Personally I remember the older 651 I saw as hard to use, though I guess probably would produce some very strange balls. I imagine it was similar to the old Butterfly Resilon, for fast hitting off-the-bounce and blocking rather than power play.

I think "cooked" pips are hard (like 802) while the raw are soft (like 799) so different characteristics.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 09:54 
Chinese Forum Spy

mynamenotbob wrote:
Great article. I enjoyed reading it. What exactly is the difference between "cooked" pips and "raw" pips?

Cooked pips (which I have just called pips out), remains in the oven for a bit longer and thus the pips gets a little harder and spinnier.

Raw pips in the truest sense, just means a rubber that is hardly treated (more than the necessary moulding), and is basically all natural rubber. The pips are usually softer and balls hit will sink a little more. A good example of raw pips is the Friendship 563.

agooding2 wrote:
A question, that I also noticed about Kees's discussion of 651: "The 651 (1980’s version), 652 (1980’s version), PF4-651, PF4-652 represent traditional pips out rubbers. "

So is the PF4-651 not the same as the new version 651?

Personally I remember the older 651 I saw as hard to use, though I guess probably would produce some very strange balls. I imagine it was similar to the old Butterfly Resilon, for fast hitting off-the-bounce and blocking rather than power play.

From what I have read and heard, DHS has changed their formulas for all their pips out, and even the PF4-651 would be a new version. But by all means, if a shop still has older batches of the PF4-651 (since it's not that popular), then it would play like the old one, and not the modern version.

Yes, I have also heard from my dad's generation that 651 was hell to play against. Thank god the newer 651 is much more friendly to inverted players!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 13:49 
Super User

A great informative article and nice translation Gek. Enjoy reading it.

Sorry I am unable to help translating at the moment, as my finger is aching if typing for more than, say 5 minutes.

3. Btty Viscaria: Gambler SS , and Outlaw.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 21:11 
The Artist
The Artist

Thanks very much, Geko. Excellent stuff :)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 23:06 

gekogark1212 wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

Cooked pips (which I have just called pips out), remains in the oven for a bit longer and thus the pips gets a little harder and spinnier.

Raw pips in the truest sense, just means a rubber that is hardly treated (more than the necessary moulding), and is basically all natural rubber. The pips are usually softer and balls hit will sink a little more. A good example of raw pips is the Friendship 563.

In Chinese forum, there are some quality discussions of different SP including this one. But, some new generation SPs are not included such as Moristo SP, Andro Logo.

The main difference between raw and cooked is transparency. Raw SP is more transparent than that of cooked sp especially those red rubber. It can be simply compared TSP super spin-pips and spectol. Only Chinese specifically differentiate it. :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 18:45 
Super User

Blade: On Elmstreet Ulmo
FH: Palio Flying Dragon
BH: Spinparasite
Really great article about short pips but I haven't seen Dr Neubauer Pistol in this list.Pistol is a great short pip rubber for me with its magnificient control,good hitting capacity and even for fast looping on the table.When you block passivly you will be able to send very short balls to the opponent.For me ,Cooked pips are the hard pips with less friction and have some kind of wobble effect.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 00:35 
Chinese Forum Spy

Fadil Olguner wrote:
Really great article about short pips but I haven't seen Dr Neubauer Pistol in this list.Pistol is a great short pip rubber for me with its magnificient control,good hitting capacity and even for fast looping on the table.When you block passivly you will be able to send very short balls to the opponent.For me ,Cooked pips are the hard pips with less friction and have some kind of wobble effect.

Oh definitely, this article is a little dated. And I agree with you completely with Pistol. In fact when I was still using SP's on the backhand, I used Pistol in 1.5mm, which did everything really really well.

The only downside to it was cost and availability, here in Sydney I think only two guys carry it and it's $50 a pop (if you're lucky).

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 14:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Fantastic article geko, thanks a lot!

PostPosted: 04 May 2011, 11:57 
Super User

Johnny1996 wrote:
gekogark1212 wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

In Chinese forum, there are some quality discussions of different SP including this one. But, some new generation SPs are not included such as Moristo SP, Andro Logo.

The main difference between raw and cooked is transparency. Raw SP is more transparent than that of cooked sp especially those red rubber. It can be simply compared TSP super spin-pips and spectol. Only Chinese specifically differentiate it. :lol:

would be nice to know what the top hitters are using in china¿¿ anybody know???

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 03:37 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Extremely cool :clap: