OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 20:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Auzcar's Adventures
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 17:11 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
So we had our last four matches in the league this weekend, I only played one of them though. We lost two and won two, sadly we lost the one that we had to win and this means that we need to play qualifiers in two weeks to keep our spot in division one. The match I played was against the team that won the league, and they were never close to loosing a match to be honest, they are simply too good. The first match I played was against a slovak who ended the season on a ratio of 24-1, I played really well in this match actually and was close to taking it to a fifth set, I had 8-6 in the fourth set but couldn't capitalize. The second match was against one of Swedens top juniors, this should've been a better match-up for me and it was pretty close, 9-9 in the first set and I had 9-8 in the second set but it ended 0-3. We also lost in the fifth in the doubles.

These are not matches that I should be able to win by any stretch of the imagination and I'm really happy with how I played. I've been working out every day for the last two weeks and the body felt much better than I expected, my forehand was better than it has been in years and although I had some problems with the BH over the table my chopping felt pretty good. It's not fun to loose but it felt really good to get confirmation that I still have that level inside my body somewhere and that I could dig down and find it even though I've hardly practiced at all this winter. The workouts have really been giving me a lot, even though it's only been two weeks since I started doing that.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2018, 23:07 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I'm back! After two pretty big injuries last season (glute and shoulder) I gripped my paddle again last week, and it felt damn good to be back!

I got a call from my teammate asking if I was interested in playing in Division 1 this year and I couldn't say no, this means I have a lot of work to put in the next month leading up to the first matches. I've played two sessions already and even though it felt better than expected it's pretty bad haha. My chops and service receives with the LP is always what tends to drop the most in level when I'm out of practice and this was no different this time. My general physique is better than it has been in almost 10 years though so that's gonna help quite a bit I hope.

I took a look in the mirror before the first session and pretty much came to the conclusion that a) I'm not quick enough to be playing at the table as much as I've been trying to the last years and b) after all the EJ'ing I've done I still haven't found a LP that blocks well enough for me withut being tampered with. This has led me to the decision that I will focus more on chopping and being more aggressive at the table with the LP, while still having the FH attack as my main gameplan. For this I think a lot of LP's are good enough. I decided to go for a chinese LP since they're so damn cheap and had a few of them lying around at home.

I tested 388D, CK531A and 1615 the first session and decided that I clearly had the most control with 388D and thus that will be my choice. Sadly my sheet was the wrong colour and the only shop in Sweden carrying 388D's only had 388D-1 in stock. I ordered one of those and will have to play with that until my sheets of 388D arrives from TTNPP in a few weeks. But from what I've read there doesn't seem to be a huge difference, so I think I'll manage.

Post subject: Auzcar's Adventures
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 16:18 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Great to have you back! And a very good choice of pips (my all time favourite for chopping). It is very forgiving but at a point you may feel limited with it. Just ignore that and keep going :).

What blade are you at nowadays? FH rubber? Will you be chopping with FH inverted?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 17:18 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
Great to have you back! And a very good choice of pips (my all time favourite for chopping). It is very forgiving but at a point you may feel limited with it. Just ignore that and keep going :).

What blade are you at nowadays? FH rubber? Will you be chopping with FH inverted?

Yeah it felt very forgiving and safe, the plan is to be a bit safer on the BH compared to later years and hopefully 388D will aid a bit in that compared to D.Tecs and DG :)

I went back to Defplay, it's my first love and that's what I feel most confident with, especially on the FH actually. I'm playing with Bluefire M1 on the FH right now and probably will continue with that, if I change it would be to H3 which I also love on this blade and it has worked really well before. I won't be chopping much with the FH, I do sometimes but when I do that I twiddle :)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 17:31 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Sounds like o good plan. Ox or sponge on BH?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 18:11 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
Sounds like o good plan. Ox or sponge on BH?

I'm still going with OX! I'm not willing to give up what I can do at the table with OX. Also I love the feeling of it.

On a related note, 388D-1 had one of the thinnest backings I've ever experienced, almost messed up the glue job.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 16:44 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

So I've had a few more sessions and I'm slowly getting better. I felt a bit sluggish in the beginning but my body is slowly remembering how to be somewhat explosive again. Need to do more cardio though, can't keep my focus up for more than 45 min haha.

Setup feels mostly good, 388D-1 is one of the most controlled LP's I've played with and that certainly helps. However, it's quite a noticeable drop in spin compared to D.Tecs, both in chopping and blocking. I need to keep the shots long and low otherwise I'm toast. I also need to get my service receives and aggressive pushing in check, as of now it's way to many unforced errors.

Slowly getting there though.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 17:45 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

388D should be closer to D.Techs.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 23:03 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Auzcar,

Welcome back!!

I always go back to the defplay. I too always go back to the Defplay. I am bouncing back and forth between double inverted and OX but both on the defplay.

My BH Chop has changed for the worse over the last 2 years, so I too like OX for being more forgiving as well as to give options at the table. I just dislike OX very much against lower spin balls on pushes (everyone does).

I still want to try the Palio with sponge (like Ma Te) though.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 16:29 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Been playing with the 388D now for a number of sessions and I really like it. It's not as good as DG or Dtecs at the table but it's awesome to chop with, really good control. I'm getting a bit frustrated though, like I usually get, since it feels almost impossible to play a high level game at the table with legal pips nowadays. I'll have to take a step back and chop much more and that's taking a toll on my game since: a) I'm not as consistent and dangerous when chopping as I am at the table and b) I can't use my FH as much, which is my biggest weapon.

I guess I just have to keep on working. Is it possible to teach an old dog to sit!?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 17:05 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Keep working! Don’t give up yet.

But the only way we can help you is if you record some sessions :).

Also, the pips probably get a little better by time. But if they loose most of its grip, speed and stiffness (like if you play outdoor in the sun a lot) the will probably not be as good for chopping from distance. I did that some 5 years ago with a sheet of 388D (I was actually on vacation in Spain, so I had some real sun for a week). It got much slower and softer. I did not use it much though so I can’t say what it did to spin reversal.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 18:00 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
Keep working! Don’t give up yet.

But the only way we can help you is if you record some sessions :).

Also, the pips probably get a little better by time. But if they loose most of its grip, speed and stiffness (like if you play outdoor in the sun a lot) the will probably not be as good for chopping from distance. I did that some 5 years ago with a sheet of 388D (I was actually on vacation in Spain, so I had some real sun for a week). It got much slower and softer. I did not use it much though so I can’t say what it did to spin reversal.

Haha yeah that's always the problem :D

I will keep on working, need to be more consistent and change my mindset a bit if I'm going to make this work.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 16:24 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

We had our first four matches in the league last weekend, won three and lost one which we're very happy with. I only played in one team match, lost one and won one, which I'm okay with. It stings a bit since I think I played badly and could've won both if I were in better shape. I really felt the lack of practice and especially the lack of competing, I usually step up my game at competition but this time it was the other way around. I had real problems with consistency, mostly when receiving serves, too many easy mistakes. This made me hesitate too much and I wasn't as aggressive as I would've liked.

It felt good to win again though, even if it was against a player I should beat 10 out of 10. After a trip to Turkey for holiday last week I'm attending a smaller competition this coming weekend to get some more competition matches under my belt.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2018, 16:38 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Played a smaller competition on the weekend, things didn't really go according to plan. In the Elite class I can't complain much, I got a tough draw and lost to two players that are better than me now, I'm just not back fully yet. In the second class I was probably the favourite to win but lost in the quarters to a player I've beaten without problem Before, and that was really frustrating.

I played bad every match, couldn't keep a pip shot on the table to save my life and the same with the FH side. Sooooooo many easy mistakes. I was afraid to contact the ball and hesitated all the time.

It's time to get to work and get better again, I can't have it this way haha.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 18:30 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I need a change if this is going to work, as of now I'm getting hammered too often on the 3rd ball attack. This makes me uncertain and scared which makes me miss a lot of returns and easy chops, trying to do too much.

I've been trying out thick sponged LP and SP this last week and I think this is the way to go. I can put more spin on the ball from the get go and prevent really hard first loop. I've tried the sheets I've already had at home, which is:

Feint Long 2, 1,1mm
Curl P1R, 1,1mm
802-40, 1,8mm
802, 1,8mm
Spectol 21, 1,8mm

At this moment I'm actually having best results with SP. Who could've thought... The thing that makes it work so well is that I can put a lot of spin on the ball with my pushes which prevents a strong attack. This gives me a calm and even though it's harder technically to chop with SP I'm almost more consistent since I get an easier ball to chop and I'm also often in a better position and in a better state of mind. I can also focus more on attacking when I don't have to be scared all the time. This is early Days thuough, let's hope it continues.

802-40 worked pretty well but I have a tad bit more control with the regular 802 and can still put a lot of spin on the ball. Spectol 21 was way too bouncy but I have a sheet of regular Spectol on the way in 1.5mm. I'm gonna give this and 802 a go side by side and then try SP chopping for a little while to see if this is something worth putting my energy into.

One last note: I've tried SP chopping before but it's working A LOT better this time around. I've only tried it on Defplay and VKM before and it seems to work a lot better on a harder and stiffer blade for me (JSH). It might also be the poly ball. Nevertheless I've had more fun in the court this last week than I've had in a loooong while. It's like the frustration is completely gone at the moment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next