OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2018, 05:01 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: TTR-Killer
Played a league on thursday. Went all the way to the final and won.
Took the camera with me and forgot to film the final :@
It's a pity cause the final was against a young boy who played very well and has great touch so the match was really hard for me. I won in the fifth after trailing 1:2 and 5:8.
I played a really solid defense and risked more twiddling and attacking with the BH - this way he felt pressure and sometimes tried attacking not the most comfortable balls and this way giving me a chance to do what I want.
All in all I played very well, needed to play on all 100% and that's why I'm very dissatisfied that I forgot to film the match :(
The 55A on the FH works great - superb control and has very good speed and spin. I'll stay with it now till the end of the year (we have team matches coming November).

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018, 03:44 
Super User

Another regular Thursday's league night. Played really well and filmed the semifinal and the final.
So the semi was against the boy that has been growing in a very rapid pace in the last months and is giving me a hard time now :punch: I was satisfied with my performance but after I watched the video I understood that there were some moments that I obviously was not concentrated enough(bty this was happening at around 10 p.m. after a full working day, so, let's say, that was understandable.).
The final was somehow easier. The guy was a lefty and I've never played him before but somehow I felt at ease. He had some serious problems with my serve and despite having a very good FH attack he didn't put enough pressure on me. I think it's just the fact that he didn't know my game and I could read his game quite well (not very complex strategy but well executed).
So here are the videos. I'm the guy with the glasses. Comments are welcome(critics is very welcome cause I don't have a coach). :Chop:
SF(the better match):

Final(not very interesting):

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 05:02 
Super User

Ok, that's where I want to go....

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 20:06 
Super User

So after about 2 months of playing with the tuttle 55A I can say that it's a very nice japan/chinese rubber. It is medium hard, tacky, has great control on blocks/punches, plays as well as BH rubber as a FH rubber. You can kill a ball with it, you can slow loop it. The arc is higher than most of the hard chinese rubbers.
But yesterday I played with my new setup. Why's that - because my Tuttle Miracle has some very hard hits and the cork layer is starting to peel off(because it was hit hard from the side). So I decided to leave my setup as it is (this way the racket is still playable, but if I try to unglue the rubbers - then I'm not sure the blade will be usable anymore.).
Yesterday played for the first time with the new setup: Palio Chop #1 + Battle 2 Prov + Neptune 0.7. First thing's first - the setup is rather heavy - 172 grams (the blade was 94 or 92 I think). The previous setup was 160 gr. The feel on the pips is harder (not as soft as it was with the cork sided blade) so the Neptune plays more like it should play with 0.7 sponge - more passive reversal and a little harder to add my spin. But faster, flatter trajectory and the over the table attack became easier. Also chopping is easier near the table but I still need to adjust my technique.
The Battle 2 needs some time to start playing at it's 100% but overall I can say that on this blade it plays better than how it played on the Miracle - more top speed on hard hits.
Overall I'll be getting used to this setup for now. Don't have a lot to write here cause for now I just play fine and don't think about it a lot - let's say that I've made a pause on my active self-improvement in tt and let it improve passively by enjoying and having fun without thinking for now :)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 03:26 
Super User

So I bumped in the live stream of the US Open and watched the women's semi's.
Well even when the quality of play is not very high (not like the top players playing) when the video quality is good(different camera angles, 60 fps), then our sport becomes much more interesting to watch. Why can't the ITTF understand that :(
It's great that the quality of the stream is so good.
Also the next men's semifinals match should be quite interesting:
1:30 PM (US Eastern Time) - Men's Singles Semifinal: Ryohei Kanoya (JPN) vs. Takeshi Atsuya (JPN)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 19:29 
Super User

I don't speak Japanese but this video somehow speaks for itself. It's about testing the Galaxy Apollo 5 in 0.7 thickness (it's a regular tacky rubber).

I think if this thing becomes available in my country(and we have a Yinhe official for Europe) then maybe("just maybe") I would try it as a backhand rubber for chopping.
The least it seems like a lot of fun playing with such thing. :D

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 04:26 
Super User

Started playing regularly again after almost 1 month. Well I played 3 times in that period so I can't count that as real play.
But because of the absence of table tennis I started doing some PT. It was regular twice a day for about 2 weeks before I returned home and went to my club. nothing special: some stretching/yoga in the morning and a little bit more serious things(push ups, ab wheel, etc.) in the middle of the day :muscle: :rofl: .
Still doing all those things cause after returning to the club I felt much faster and I gained some additional explosiveness in my strokes. My opponents (and the results) confirmed the fact that I've became faster and more consistent with both my defense and my attack.
Yep, I know I discovered the hot water (I'm not sure you can say so in English), but still - very nice to remember that table tennis is a sport where fitness matters also very much. I'm pretty sure I hadn't become stronger or anything like that in these last 3 weeks but it's just that the body is now in more active condition and it works faster when playing. :party:

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2019, 01:47 
Super User

Yesterday played with my friend who's a chopper too.
When we play - I'm more like the attacker.
So he recently changed from OX p4 to p4 with 1.0 mm sponge(on Stiga defensive wood).
Although it's not as nasty as it was, the chops now are much heavier and much harder for me to kill. Now even if I give him a float ball he can return it with decent underspin and rather low so I won't feel very comfortable lazy-looping it. All in all - the p4 with thick sponge is a very dangerous weapon.
I took it for a couple of shots and it felt sooooo sloooow. Very strange. My Neptune on my blade feel much faster. Although I like the fact that he can put more spin then me with my setup I think if I was to switch to the p4 I would lose some variation in shots that I can produce because of the lesser insensitivity to the spin with the Neptune. And the Neptune still chops very well, so no need for the heaviest chop in the world for now. Maybe when I grow stronger and the opponents become more fierce.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 15:53 
Super User

Yesterday trained a little(about 2.2 hours :) ) for the first time this year against( :rock: :rofl: ) a friend of mine. Mainly chopping.
filmed a couple of videos of the process using the Eos M5 + 10-18 (wanted to use the 18-35 Sigma but it there was not enough space for it (too narrow)). didn't use the 1080p 50fps because I don't think it's needed - so 720p 50fps.
The quality is still much better then from my action camera(even though it's ISO 1250) but there's a BUT(a big and fat one :lol: ) in there: the M5(and most of the Canon's bodies) has a limit of 29 min 59 sec for one take of video and so I couldn't shoot the whole training process in one take and really missed some very nice shots( :( ) because the camera had stopped by that time and the recording needed to be restarted.
So a couple of unedited videos. Not interesting - raw, slow, half-serious training ))))

overall after watching this I can say that my FH chop has improved a lot in consistency(it was much worse before :) ) and that if I add some more side and under spin to it it becomes harder to play against but it's also harder to execute.
And yep - the camera was not placed very well for the FH chop :)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 17:45 
Super User

Overall played 5 days last week.
2 days training and 3 days tournament play(one weekly tournament, one monthly and a team event(4 team matches in one day - 12 hours in the club)).
Played well, got lot's of videos of myself and my comrades playing(34Gb, abot 8 matches or so), so now I'll be slowly editing the videos. And, yeah, a little break from this (a couple of days) before training for the nationals(on 28th, not that I have a chance for the main draw there, but I wan't to grab a win or two in the qualifications :oops: )

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 01:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
good blog-ill have a good full look later-needs more sexy women pics though :devil:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2019, 15:50 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
good blog-ill have a good full look later-needs more sexy women pics though :devil:

Ha-ha, thanks. I'll think about including some girls in the posts if there's a need for that :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2019, 16:33 
Super User

Okay.
I've finished editing(just cutting out the time between most of the points really) the team matches from saturday - 11 videos - it took me quite a while :)

Overall after watching my matches a several times I identified those problems as the main that need fixing:

1. Going too far in a bigger area. I almost always find myself too far from the table when I play in a venue that has more room behind the table. The main problem is that in our club the distance from the table is limited and I feel comfortable there but when I start playing in a bigger place I somehow often find myself too far. This can be seen in both of the matches - I'm too far for most of my FH shots in defense position(the ball falls too low - couldn't chop from the FH at all).

2. Somehow I feel like sometimes I'm more like watching what's gonna happen than getting ready for the next shot. :^) Some kind of weird curiosity or something. If it's not that then I really don't get it why in some points it seems like I play a shot and then wait to see what's my opponent going to do :rofl: I would suggest that the problem lies in having not enough experience against such type of opponents, but still.. this seems strange to me :|

3. Not going for my FH is a fun problem that I have against stronger players. When I play against my friends I tend to unleash the 100% of my FH attacks cause almost always the position is not suitable for a second shot, but here I see that I play the FH attack too safe and that way they pin me in a very uncomfortable position :swear: And why would I play a half-assed FH loop?! :swear:

Well, for now i think those are serious match-play problems that are more easily fixed I think. (Yep - I don't think that bending my knees more or moving faster are problems that are easier than those 3 :D )

So here are three singles matches(in their historic order) and one doubles (the doubles was more for fun..) with some comments. The other matches I played were not filmed - not enough space left on the cards :lol:
#I'm the gut in the grey t-shirt with the glasses on

This was my first match of the day. I don't like playing lefties. It can be seen that the 1st problem I listed is very distinctive in this match. Had my chances but somehow didn't feel comfortable through all of the match.

The doubles match with my co-defender friend. Overall we played ok :lol:

Another lefty(well of course!) but he just couldn't control his temper and made so much mistakes that the match was no fun :( (although after that he beat my teammate who's not weaker that me. seems to me that my style was too uncomfortable for him)

The last match I filmed(the camera ran out of space before the handshake :lol: ). This was an interesting match. I started badly, then I adjusted, then he adjusted, then we played ok, then the 5th set.. and my serves literally saved the match for me. This guy's FH topspins most of the time were with not a lot of spin and this somehow threw me off in the beginning. Also he holds the racket very strangely and his receives are weird because of that.

Well I'll be always glad if there is some critique (or the opposite :rofl: ). Any opinion is welcome.

P.S. The first 3 videos were made using the EOS M5 with the 10-18 Canon. The last one - sjcam M20 action cam.
P.S.S. no Mal Malloy pics here :lol: (for now)

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 17:38 
Super User

Yesterday went to the nationals.
In the qualification group there were only three players.
So the first guy was the same guy I played last year in the groups (what are the odds? :@ :rofl: ) - a very fast and strong lefty. Basically he played anything he wanted and I tried surviving most of the time. Overall I played well - got some good rallies :)
The second guy was a penholder (well, nothing special - everybody in Europe plays penhold :lol: ). I played ok, lost 3:2 having a good lead in the 4th while leading 2:1. Really missed some very easy points in the 4th set (like high balls basically over the net - three of those in one set) and thus failed to close it.
And that was it - no more matches :)
I really need to play more in different venue cause I can see how much more insecure I am playing in different locations with different lighting conditions. The lighting is very important to adjust to. Basically both of my matches I couldn't adjust and serve as I want to - most of my serves were not high toss or from the BH side cause when I tossed those as I'm used to (high) I lost the ball in the light for a second and then performed a poor serve most of the time. Still not sure - maybe wearing glasses doesn't help in such situations too...

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 22:26 
Super User

Trained for an hour and a half with a friend of mine this Monday.
After that we played a couple of matches - I filmed (and edited) them.
Overall I didn't play well - too many easy mistakes. Probably I wasn't set for matchplay.
so here there are (I'm the guy with the glasses):
at 7:08 in the first video there's a great display of my tremendous feeling for the ball :rofl:

There are some good points.
I'll probably switch from Neptune to P1-R 0.5 in the future cause the Neptune always develops bubbles under my fingers. This doesn't affect the game but it somehow irritates me. Not sure that P1-R will be a good replacement but I hope I'll get used to it.
But still not sure about the switch - I really love the Neptune.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next