OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 May 2011, 23:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Looks pretty impressive, nice stroke. :clap: How would the weight of the machines topspin compare to a person looping? Very hard to tell except I can't envisage carrying that shot out on the loopers I play. :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 May 2011, 23:43 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I think the difference is level of play. At higher levels of play, the topspin balls, (loops) will be Much faster, Much lower and Much spinnier. Then your shot will just go long. It looks like you have a direct line to the table. If so, you can counter even with anti.

A good loop will probably be hit from net height or below, just clear the net and not bounce higher than the net. It looks like you are contacting the ball almost at chest height while standing almost straight up.

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 02:43 

Thanks. These were like medium spin and speed loops that you'd hit in warmup.

Against a harder and flatter shot I shorten this stroke up and it's more of an aggressive block, same blade angles though and generates the same speed. The sinking effect helps this shot and I played a lot with 563 which does the same thing.

I try to adapt to the opponents that I'm playing, and yes it is true I'm playing lower level players than you guys are playing so my comments need to be taken with this context. If these shots only work against weak topspin shots as you are saying, then I'll just use it in those situations. I'm going to keep testing it in different situations, so I can figure out when it works and when it doesn't. That's kind of what I'm doing with all of my shots right now.

Last edited by Bogart45 on 28 May 2011, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 05:54 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi Bogart45,
Don't let me discourage you. I am enjoying reading your posts. Just letting you know what to expect as you move up.
I think you will find blocking a real fast, spinny loop will give you some problems you do not see now.
1) Any attempt to punch a hard low loop will send it long.
2) A "spinny", fast loop will make backspin when you block. Unless you can take speed off the ball with your block, (passive or pull back block) the ball will actually rise having no chance of hitting the table.
Hitting higher balls like the vid is still a usefull thing. Tat is one that specializes in this.
If you go to a tourney, try to find a 2000 rated player and ask him to hit a few loops to you. Seeing the problem first hand will help you understand about the backspin created and how hard it is to scrub speed off a loop. :)

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 06:25 

Thanks Hookshot. In the last double round robin I played, I got to play a player 2100 in the first group so I'm sure I'll get someone at least 1900+ again. I'll be sure to try different types of blocks against them and will keep in mind to try the pull back block.

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 22:29 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Nice blog Bog, keep it coming, Reb and Speedplay's blogs are awesome and you look like you are on your way to join them, welcome to the friendliest forum in the world! Good luck on you journey, it is a great game with lots of downs on the way up, but always remember the positives and play positive even if you are getting a thrashing!

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 15:32 

Thanks RB.

Well, I'm back from the tourney and waiting for scores and new ratings to be posted so I can post accurate info with my descriptions. It was somewhat of a success but how much so will depend on how high an unrated player that I beat will be rated. The tourney director estimated her at 1500 but after losing to me who knows how low she will go. Hopefully it will all be posted by next Friday.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2011, 17:07 

4th Tourney Day 1
End rating 1180 (+170), match record 6-9, played Bomb Talent 0.6 BH, on Allround blade

The HD video camera I was going to borrow fell through at the last second so I just used my regular camera to record a couple matches. I just wanted to put some video up to add content to my blog so hopefully people won’t be too critical of my level of play.

2 weeks before this tourney I finally started hitting my LP attacks with good consistancy which has made a big difference. I also switched to Inspirit Quattro 2.0 on the FH for extra power on slams and better ability to attack no spin, but with no ability to FH chop (this is painfully clear in the videos). My inability to FH chop hurt me in a couple matches, but I was also able to put away incoming lobs much more easily in other matches. In the end I was probably better off staying with my Mark V 1.5 though.

Under 1600
1st match vs rating 1420, Short pips on FH and LP Donic Piranha on BH.
This player was very solid on both sides and was good at both attacking and defending with his LP. His short pips were giving me all kinds of problems especially when he served. I’d actually never played against SP before. Although I got a game off him, he held a consistent advantage over me the entire match. Final score (1-3) 7-11, 8-11, 11-5, 7-11.

2nd match vs rating 1450, double inverted.
This player was an attacker, but one who when I gave him spinny chops was patient enough to just push them back. His push against my chop was very effective and tricky and I had to really make some adjustments to be able to return them. He beat me the first game 5-11. I played better and won the next two games 12-10, 11-5. At this point I don’t know what happened but I started missing the same shots I was hitting the previous two games. I lost the 4th 10-12 and then played horribly in the 5th and lost 4-11. I felt like I really gave away that 4th game. Video of first 4 games.

Under 1400
This event started 3 hours late, so lots of sitting around on hard benches. This was a major theme the rest of the tourney.

1st match vs 12 yo rating 1080, double inverted (after this tourney he is now rated 1150).
I won the first game routinely 11-6. Suddenly in the 2nd game he started to land his attack shots against my LP pushes. I tried backing away from the table, blocking at the table, attacking as much as I could. Nothing worked and he rattled off easy wins in the next 3 games. Based on this players’ other results and my other results, it looks like his game just matched up well against mine and he had better execution of his shots. I didn’t want to lose to anybody under 1100 though, so I’m feeling pretty disappointed at this point. Final score 1-3.

2nd match vs rating 1320, LP Donic Piranha on BH.
My second match against this rubber today, but this player was using it more defensively. My basic plan was to go LP to LP and try to beat him that way. He got up early in the 1st game but then I got on a roll and came back to win the 1st game 11-9. He recovered nicely and won the 2nd game 8-11. I made some adjustments and won the 3rd game 11-8. The 4th game he is playing a little better and things stayed even the whole game. Starting at duece I started serving exclusively to his FH and then 3rd ball attack to his BH. After several deuces I finally land a LP attack on one of his service points and win the match. Game score was 17-15. My 1st win against a 1300 level player. First video is of games 1-3, second video of game 4.

-----------------------------
3rd match vs rating 500 – won this 3-0

The 1320 LP player beat the 1080 player 3-1 so there is a 3 way tie, but I finished 3rd due to my bad game scores in the first match.

Under 1200
This event started 3 hours late and was supposed to be a group of 5 but was reduced to 3 because 2 players got tired of sitting around all day and left.

1st match vs 14 yo rating 830
I’m feeling pretty confident with this match but once again this kid has no trouble at all with my LP pushes to his FH. He was smacking me around all over the place and won the first 2 games 9-11, 7-11. I had to really bare down at this point and focus on his BH and staying at the table and blocking. He was parked at his BH side of the table so unless I hit it right in the corner he was hitting forehands. For the next 3 games I gave him a steady diet of deep, soft but well placed BH pushes and soft sideswipes which led me to come back and win this match 3-2. Whew!

2nd match vs 10 yo rating 810 - Won this match 3-0

After this match I had to wait for the other tables to finish, which took 2 full hours of waiting. Then they had to figure out who was advancing which took another 45 minutes. Once that was figured out they just let the draw sit there and weren’t calling any matches because they were so behind on so many other higher rated events as well and it was already 8pm. Finally me and my opponent grab a scoresheet and clipboard and just tell them we are going to play our match and they say ok.

Quarter final vs 12 yo rating 1080, double inverted that I lost to in the under 1400.
To make a long story short, this kid had my number again and beat me 11-8, 3-11, 11-5, 9-11, 9-11.

4th Tourney Day 2

RR Group 1
1st match vs rating 1710 – routine loss against a much better player.
2nd match vs rating 2010 – another routine loss.

3rd match vs unrated player, but for seeding purposes she was estimated at 1500 (after tourney, initial rating was 1220)
Left handed and short pips on FH. An all out attacker on FH with very flat shots that were very hard to return. I had success hitting LP serves to her BH then I’d hit a 3rd ball BH attack to her FH side and about 1/3 of the time I hit a clean winner, 1/3 she counter attacked and won the point, 1/3 she counter attacked and missed. She was playing slightly shaded to her BH side. Her FH was as fast as anyone else I played and I think I was only able to block one of them all match. In game 1, I missed some BH attacks late and she hit some nice counter attacks to take it 10-12. I felt pretty down and lost the 2nd game 3-11. I snapped out of my funk in the 3rd and for the rest of the match I tried to play the same type of point over and over again. Serve or return serve to her BH and then attack the next ball with my BH to her forehand. I was aiming for the extreme corner and sideline and hitting it over and over again. In the 4th game she started getting really irritiated and was cursing her missed shots. The 3rd & 4th games were won 11-5, 11-7. In the 5th I kept up the same pattern and got to a 5-1 lead. I started missing and she started hitting and she got it back to 5-5. We traded points to get to 7-7. At this point I pulled away to take the 5th game 11-7. So now I accomplished my 2nd win against a higher rated player and this comeback win takes much of the sting out of my loss yesterday.

RR Group 2
1st match vs rating 1680 – routine loss against better player.

2nd match vs rating 1780 (1660 after this tourney) - Yasaka Anti Power on BH
Well this was an interesting one. This guy had a massive FH that he could also get really sharp angles with, but on his BH he just blocked with his anti. So guess what I’m going to do? I hit most of serves to his BH and 90% of all other shots to his BH. I think he only hit about 4 attack shots with his forehand the whole match (he won all 4). My shots were really on and we had many 10+ shot rallies and he was able to just block everything back that I threw at him. He tried to twiddle once and missed and that was the end of him twiddleing. I alternated between passive no spin push rallies, attack with BH, and attack with my FH throughout the entire match and often switched tactics in the middle of points and felt like I really had a strong chance to beat him. I had a 10-9 lead in the 4th but just couldn’t get a ball past him. His consistent blocking was just able to outlast me as he beat me (1-3) 8-11, 11-9, 5-11, 12-14.

3rd match vs rating 1320 - double inverted
I played her before in a tourney 2 months ago and she beat me 3-1. She held a steady edge against me the whole match and is clearly the better player. She beat me again 3-1 but this time the scores in the games that I lost were much closer.

4th match vs rating 1080 – double inverted
He was putting some tricky spins on his shots to me from both his FH and BH and was very consistent. After losing the first game 9-11, I began to focus on his BH and just played high percentage pushes and soft sideswipes to his BH until he missed. This proved to be enough and I won this one 3-1.

-------------------------------

Throughout this tourney my BH pushes were easily attacked. I’m attributing this to having to hit the ball over the net with enough clearance to account to the random affect I’m getting with BT. If I try to keep the ball too low, it gets sucked into the net. I missed so many easy pushes and chops into the net this way. I’m going to try to find some LP setup where I can keep the ball lower to the net more consistentaly.

I now have 3 months until my next tourney. I’m going to give BT ox another try as well as a couple other LPs. I will also be trying to learn to chopblock with slower setups, continue to get better at attacking on both sides, and to incorporate my FH more into my matches (this is already happening since switching back to Mark V).

Last edited by Bogart45 on 24 Jul 2011, 13:21, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 07:23 

The results from the tourney are finally posted and I’m happy to report that my rating went up to 1180, a little higher than I expected. The unrated player I beat ended up getting an initial rating of 1220 which helped me.

I have begun playing with Bomb Talent ox and have decided that that’s what I’m going to be playing with in my next couple tourneys. My game improved with it right away. The pluses so far are: more disruptive LP effect, I can keep the ball shorter to the net, I can hit a fuller stroke at the table, more reversal on blocks, blocks are a little easier to keep on the table, plays more consistently so easier to keep pushes lower to the net, I can now hit what I’d call a “tap” where I can send all the sidespin on serves back to my opponent. Some initial negatives are that: attacking requires a whole new stroke that will take time for me to figure out, I’m getting less topspin when attacking backspin which is sending some attacks long, there are some situational shots that I just can’t hit the same way.

My next session, I’m going to try to sideswipe as much as possible to figure out when those shots may work with BT ox. I wasn’t sideswiping much with BT sponge.

Aside from this, I’m learning to make adjustments quicker, which just comes from getting more match experience against lots of different types of players.

There is another local non-usatt tourney next weekend that I’ll be playing. There are 3 levels u1150, u1650, and open; so this time I’ll be playing the under 1650. Hopefully I can play well against some higher rated players and get some more experience.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 14:54 

I ended up winning the under 1650 today at the local non-usatt tourney.

I beat everyone there 3-0 except in the semi-final where I had to play an all out attacker rated 1335 who was being coached about how to play against pips between games. I won the first 2 games 11-7, 11-7. Most points I’d block one or two attacks back and then she’d miss. Then suddenly the coaching started to sink in and she won the next two games 5-11, 6-11. During these games she was no longer missing against my blocks and would win the point after I made 2 or 3 blocks. The 5th game I just tried to bare down and make my shots a little more crisp and to stay away from her FH and ended up taking it down 11-7.

This was my best day ever using LP for blocking. I kept several balls on the table that were shocking even to myself. I’m also able to keep a lot of blocks nice and short. I’m really getting the hang of knowing when to block and when to chop from 2-6 feet when receiving all out attacks. Today also reinterated how much more consistant BT ox plays compared to BT w/ sponge. Because it plays so consistent, I’m able to place the ball so much better and not play such safe shots which can be attacked easily. I think I’m playing close to a 1300 level now. Next tourney is still 2 months away.

In addition to all of this, I’m also starting to get some compliments and respect from quite a lot of players, including players much better than myself, and ones who before I could tell didn’t think much of me. It’s really all about results though.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 15:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
There are aspects of your journey that are sounding very familiar! ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 16:49 

I haven't updated this blog in quite a while. Since my last post I played 3 tourneys and got up to at rating of 1340. The highest rated opponents I beat were 1435 and 1410. I became frustrated with how people were beating me and my continued inability to attack with Bomb Talent ox that I decided to take a break, that turned into a 15 month hiatus.

I've been playing for a month again now, and have been experimenting again with my equipment. I was previously playing with MarkV 1.5, BT, on a Donic Walner Senso V2 blade. I decided to try MarkV 1.8 on my Fibrecomp blade and it was too fast. I then put the MarkV 1.8 on my Nittaku Endless and to my amazement, it was perfect. Not only that but now all of my attacks with BT are going in the way they usesd to with sponge.

First time with this combo was on a league night and I beat USATT rated 1710 and 1660 players 3-1 and 3-0, and lost 2-3 to a 1690 player. I've never had such success against this level of player.

This Endless blade has so much control for my game it's amazing. I can even return serve with my FH with this setup, which I was never able to do before. I actually tried this blade before, but found it unusable due to it's lack of power, but I think it is now usable with the thicker sponge and due to my FH improving. Everytime I went for a FH putaway, I didn't have to hit another shot (this was a problem of mine before). I feel very confident going for a full swing with my FH with this setup. I do believe the time off helped me get rid of some bad habits as well which has helped. My new weakness is now BH chopping, but that's only due to lack of practice with this new slower blade.

I have now decided to play 2 upcoming tourneys in April. We'll see if all this can translate into some higher pressure tourney wins.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 16:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sounds like you've broken through a barrier, well done! :rock: :rock: :rock: