OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 17:02 

Coping with Various Playing Styles

We had two very tough nights last week and this week. We lost the first one by 5-6, but managed to win the next one 7-4. So, we are still the second on the ladder. On the first Monday, we met the team led by a Cambodian/Vietnamase SP attacker.His second player was a double inverted looper. Their third player was the left handed Chinese looper who filled in for us in the first week.

I knew that most SP players had some common weaknesses. My tactics against this guy were based on this understanding. My first tactic was to serve very short to his SP side with heavy spin and get weak returns and attack. My second tactic was to play slow loops to the same side when he served long in order to force him to make errors.The third tactic was to create difficult angles and placements in order to break his rhythm, especially the rhythm in his SP driving shots. This plan worked quite well and I won the match 3-1. Team mate K also beat the guy using his own tactics :D .

I had beaten the Vietnamese looper before many times in friendly games. I thought I could beat him quite easily. As a matter of fact, I won the first two sets quite convincingly. He had no answers to my tactics. However, he appeared to have changed his game plan after the second set. He began to serve long to the middle of the table with a little back spin aiming at my playing elbow. His aim was to attack when I returned them high. I knew what he was trying to do and I tried to avoid weak returns. So, this set was a hard battle and the score was 10-10 at one stage. However, my opponent was lucky enough to avoid his mistakes at this stage and I failed to do so. Therefore, the set went to him 14-12 :n: . I thought I must have won this set and the match accordingly. I was quite frustrated and mentally somewhat down. As usual I became cuatious and my opponent attacked relentlessly. So, he won the next two sets and the match :^) .

K understood what really happened and used his tactics accordingly against this guy. It was a tough match which went to five sets.Fortunately, K won the fifth set and the match. K and I used our understanding of the game of the SP player and the double inverted looper in our first double against them. We beat them quite convincingly 3-1 by increasing our chances winning the night :up: .

I failed in dealing with the left handed Chinese looper who looped almost every serve and shot. All of his loopy shots came to my backhand. I tried to hit them back in a looping motion and made many errors in doing so :n: . When I analysed the match later, I found out that I must have done two things to beat him. Firstly, I must have run around and attack him with my forehand instead of my backhand. Secondly, I must have attack his loopy shots quite flat when I used my backhand instead of trying to counter loop.

The LP defender who played for us failed to win any match and failed to help K to win the second double. So, we lost the night 5-6. The LP player was quite frustrated and he did not want to continue playing for us. To make the situation worse, the young guy who managed the centre had given the Chinese guy(he suddenly turned up)whom they had included in my team originally to another team. This forces me to find another regular player for us :?: .

Last Monday we met another tough team led by a Russian-born Polish attacker. His second player was an Indonesian-born SP attacker. Their third player was the Chinese guy who was in my team originally. He was a Japanese pen holder.

I asked our left-handed Chinese looper( who played against us last week) to play against the tough Polish flat hitter. This guy had a particular style of playing. He always played close to the table while staying in the middle. Surprisingly, he attacked every loopy shot played by our player very flat without any problem. He also created very difficult angles and placements. His rubbers seemed pretty old, but he played very well with them. The trajectory of his shots were very low and long and most of his returns appeared to be floating shots. So, he won the match quite convincingly :o .

I had to play against the SP attacker who was in my team when we won the final in B1 long ago. So, I knew his game to some extent. Using this knowledge and my usual tactics against SP players, I beat the guy 3-1. I had to adjust my tactics to some extent since this player used SP on his forehand side. Therefore, when I served to his forehand, I served short with heavy spin in order to get high and weak returns which I could attack. His backhand attacks were more powerful than the forehand ones. This forced me to exploid his relatively weaker forhand for my attacks :D .

K and the Chinese looper also beat the SP guy quite convincingly. K and I beat the Polish flat hitter and SP atacker in our first double. Chinese lopper and I also beat the Polish attacker and the Chinese player, who had a Japanese pen grip, in our second double :) .

I had beaten the Polish guy before. My chances had been 50-50 in these games. However, I found out that this guy had improved his game in few areas. Firstly, he had learned to push when his opposition served short with heavy spin. He had also learned to serve short instead of serving long all the time. His angles and placements were more difficult now to handle. His blade and rubber combination was different now too. Now he could play some floating shots which were hard to attack. He was the leading player of the team which won the final last season in A5. He could not go to the next grade because his team mates did not want to play in his team. All in all, he was a tougher opponent now. I did not have new tactics against these new developments in his game. As a result, I lost to him 3-0 :^) . This would force me to find new tactics against him in the next round.

We had discussed new tactics which we could use against him before K started his match against him. Our major tactic was to push/cut/chop his serves and shots back to him with heavy back spin in order to prevent him playing his normal shots. We believed that this approach would stop him creating difficult angles and placements. Furthermore, we decided to serve very short mainly to his body/playing elbow with heavy spin in order to force him to make errors. These tactics worked to some extent, but the opponent was also adjusting his tactics all the time. So, at one stage the score was 2-2. In the final set, the Polish guy appeared to be winning, the score was 10-6 in his favour. However, he could not get the last point for some reasons, and K got the last 5 points and the match accordingly :D .

The Chinese opponent with the Japanese pen grip had lost all of his matches last week. He was talking about giving up because of the pressure put on him by the Polish guy. He wanted to win this time. So, he played quite differently on this occasion. I had beaten this guy before in many friendly matches when he played with his attacking style. He resorted to a very defensive mode against us this time. He beat K and me by doing so. We were not ready for this type of defensive game from him. What a cunning player? Any way, we had time to discuss the matter with our Chinese looper and asked him to follow some tactics to beat him. He had no answers to the tactics used by our guy and, as a result, he lost quite badly :up: .

This was a tough night, but we managed to win it 7-4. This win would enable us to keep at least our second place. I am not quite sure whether the top team won or lost. If they have lost, we would take the first place.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 18:45 

Constructive comments and suggestions are welcome.

We had our greatest victory last night against three young attacking loopers. They were led by the guy who had the highest winning percentage up to this point. These guys have been getting coaching lessons on a regular basis and have become terrific players. Their major tactic is to serve with lot of spin and attack the third ball with a lot of top and side spin. They always waite on the backhand corner until they get a weak return to attack. They are well trained to play forehand cross court and forehand down the line strokes. They are so quick and their forehand covers the whole area from the backhand corner to the forehand corner. They do not play with their backhand too often, but Gio- the leader- has a very loopy backhand. The degree of back and side spin they put on their serves and the degree of top and side spin they put on their strokes are very high. |(

I knew that we had a real competition this time. So, I had a few tactics against them and I discussed these tactics with team-mate K well before the matches started. We tried to pass on these tactics to the young girl who joined us as our third regular player. Our first tactic was to exploid their backhand and stop them playing their lethal forehand strokes. This prompted us to serve very short mainly to thier backhand extreme with lot of back and side spin. If we needed to serve to their forehand, we decided that these serves must be very short, spinny and double bouncing ones. As far as I was concerned, I decided to use the short version of side spin tomahawk serve to their forehand extreme and and attack when their returns were weak. :?:

These tactics worked well when I played against all three players. They made a number of errors when they returned my short spinny serves that often went to their backhand extreme. Remember, you must go to the extreme, but not to the area where they could play their forehand very well. They were so quick and they could run around and play their forehand if the ball went to their comfortable zone. We tried to avoid that situation throughout all matches. When I wanted to serve to their forehand, I used very short sidespin tomahawk type serve which often curved away from them. They again made some errors and I could attack the weak returns with some top and side spin. I felt that my service game had improved and because of that I had more chances to attack. So, I beat all three players quite convincingly by 3-0, 3-1 and 3-0. :up:

K beat Gio and the third player using some of tactics we discussed above and his own tactics. :up: However, he failed to beat the second player since he could not execute his attacks effectively. He appeared to be making a lot of errors when he played his backhand strokes.These errors again appeared when we played our first double and, as a result, we lost the match 2-3.

Our new 18 years old girl player played very well. As a matter fact, I had some reservations before I agreed to take her in. I had not seen her playing before and she had not played for nearly two years. However, the young manager guy assured me that she would be a very good player. She indeed proved to me that she was a very good all round player by beating all of our three opponents. She had a very good spinny serve and she created very difficult angles for our opponents. Her consistency was noticeable. This playing style helped us win our second double too. :up:

At the end we won the night 9-2 and this win would enable us to keep our second place witout any major threat. :)

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 09:26 

Comments are welcome

This time we met the team consisting of three Eastern European- born players. It was led by the anti-spin player whom I had already mentioned in my previous reports. He was very experienced and crafty. He used anti-spin rubber on his backhand side and played very close to the table. His major position was the middle of the table, but this time he regularly moved to the left corner to play down the line strokes. Even though he was not a very quick mover, he was able to compensate this by playing shots aiming for corners and extremes.He played his strokes while bending his body over the table and this habit enabled him to get to the ball early and create difficult angles.He moved his arm and wrist in different directions in order to force the opponent to misjudge his returns. This time he appeared more agressive and offensive. He played more forehand strokes from both the left and the right corners. :o

Our girl player had to deal with this guy first. As the match progressed, I knew that our player had no experience in playing against this type of opponents. Despite my tactical support, she could not change her way of playing against this guy. As a result, he won the match quite convincingly. Even very experienced K could not deal with guy well. He appeared to play his natural game without adjusting it according to the changes made by the opponent. As a result, K also lost his match raising the confidence of our opposition. :^)

However, I had a very clear set of tactics against this guy whom I had beaten last time quite easily. As I mentioned before, he appeared to have more agressive approach this time and he was playing more cross court and down the line strokes. In the first set, I used the same tactics I used last time. I tried to serve long mainly to his backhand corner and to his body area with back and side spin and get weak returns and attack. It did not work this time since he attacked my serves. Even my long spinny serves to his forehand corner were attacked. He seemed very confident and won the first set comfortably. So, I had to change my tactics quickly. In the second set, I began to serve very short with more and more spin while targetting three major areas. The backhand and forehand extremes and the playing elbow. My opponent showed that he could not handle these serves well. He made several errors in returning my serves and when he was able to return them,they were very weak. He could not play his cross court and down the line strokes in this situation, but I could continue my attacks. As a result, I won the next three sets comfortably and the match accordingly. :up:

Their second player was an attacker who could loop well from his forehand. His major strokes were forehand cross court smashes from his backhand corner and forehand loops from the middle and the right side of the table. He served mainly long with side/top spin or with no spin in order to get high returns to attack. So, my major tactic against this guy was to serve very short with heavy back and side spin mainly to the backhand and forehand extremes in order to stop him from playing his backhand and forehand cross court strokes. From time to time, I also used my modified and very short tomahawk type serve to his body area and to the forehand extreme. My opponent had a real problem in playing his bread and butter strokes while I had many opportunities to attack him with top and side spin. As a result, I won the match 3-0. :) However, my team mates, K and K, failed to adjust their tactics according to the playing style of this guy. So, he beat both of them, but in a close encounter. :^)

Their third player was a flat hitter. His major strokes were forehand smashes from his backhand corner(could be cross court or down the line) and backhand smashes mainly to the right and the middle of the table.He used half long side and top spin serves to the right side of the table and half long back spin serve to the left side of the table to set up his attacks. K's game was quite suitable for this type of playing style. His spinny serves and backhand and forehand attacks were quite effective and our opponent found K's game very difficult to deal with. Our girl player also had a very consistent and attacking style against the style of our opponent. So, she also beat him convincingly. :up:

This opponent had experience in playing against me. We had played so many friendly games before and my opponent knew how to play against me. However, I was smart enough to change my game around and offer my opponent some surprises. My newly developed double bouncing serve with a higher degree of back and side spin to his backhand and forehand extremes were quite effective in getting weak returns which I could attack. Short version of my tomahawk type serve to his forehand extreme was also effective. So, he did not get many chances to launch his lethal backhand and forehand attacks. However, he was smart enough to adjust his tactics against my tactics. For example, when I looped his half long serves,which came to my forehand, he started to serve short. When I tried to stop him playing his stronger backhand attacks, he started using his forehand more frequently. So, it was a very close battle. I won the first set. He won the second set. I won the third while my opponent managed to win the next. In the deciding set, I became more agressive. I believed that I could beat him. As a result, I won the set quite comfortably. :D

K and I beat the attacking combination quite easily in our first double(3-1). K and K combination also beat the anti-spin guy and the looper/attacker in the second double. So, we ended up with a great victory(7-4). This victory will strengthen our second position as there is 4 point gap between us and the third team. My personal victory will raise me to an equal leading position with the first player of the top team. :)

Last edited by Najay on 24 Feb 2012, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 13:19 

Hey Nanda, remember our practise match where I used short pips on the backhand to smash everything? :devil:

Tactical Rubber: Feint Long Old 1.5....................................Divine Rubber: Dr Neubauer Pistol 2.0

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 21:00 

Jonnexus, Did you forget the final score? It was 2-2. I could have beaten you, if we played the final set. My team mate K turned up for practice, so I did not have that chance. Yes, you had some SP smashes, but I had more smooth smashes all over the table.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 22:06 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Najay when Jonnexus gets serious you won't beat him, but don't worry, neither do I! :lol: :lol:

Not sure I've ever lost a practice match to him though! :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 19:30 

In my opinion, he used to be a better and quicker player several seasons back. Now he has put on weight and slowed himself down a bit. He attacks nicely with SP, but has not mastered the other SP tactics yet. Sometimes, he plays with LP too. So, I was quite successful in dealing with him in some of our friendly matches. You are right. He could be much more serious in real matches.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 19:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Interesting Najay. Perhaps I did the wrong thing not letting him play with his LP setup that had a hole of missing pips the size of a 20 cent piece :lol: Cos he then played with SP and took victory on me and G a few weeks back in A2 Masters :oops: I doubt his weight gain can be helped, but I don't think its hurt his game too much. And he actually used LP before SP. The only thing now is that he uses "tricked-up" LP, which makes his strokes less consistent. What he needs probably is to have Carbonman sit him down and explain things to him! :P :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 20:01 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
What he needs probably is to have Carbonman sit him down and explain things to him! :P :lol: :lol:

lol - I would love to help but unfortunately I am too busy practicing my long pushing! :o :?: 8)

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 20:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

carbonman wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
What he needs probably is to have Carbonman sit him down and explain things to him! :P :lol: :lol:

lol - I would love to help but unfortunately I am too busy practicing my long pushing! :o :?: 8)

ROFL!! :lol: :rofl: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7