OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 19:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
A good win for your team Najay, and a good contribution from you to beat the old anti player. He can be a tough nut to crack at times. :clap:

While winning just 1 match in a week can leave you feeling a bit flat, winning 1 so that your team wins 6-5 rather than winning none (or more) and losing 6-5....I know which I prefer! ;)

Given the team came down from A4 to A5 this season you guys did well to win, although I have to say they didn't do too well in A4 only winning 1 match for last season. Still, A5 level obviously suits them to have been top or 2nd until this point. Hopefully you guys can string together many good wins for the rest of the season and make the final (and then win to keep my ex-teammate in A5 :lol: ).

Keep up the good analysis work, do you think it is helping your game?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2011, 01:44 

Coping with Various Playing Styles

This time we met the team consisting of three Eastern-European born players who displayed very different playing styles. The oldest player was very experienced and he had played more than 3000 matches at the club. He didn't look very fit, but he was very crafty. He used anti-spin rubber on his backhand and played very close to the table. His major position was the middle of the table. Even though he was not a quick mover, he compensated for this by playing shots aiming for corners and extremes. He usually played his shots while bending his body over the table and this habit enabled him to get to the ball early and get the corners and extremes quickly. He moved his arm and wrist in different directions in order to force his opponents to misjudge his returns. His anti-spin rubber enabled him to serve long with float and he earned some vital points when we hit the net :@ .

Our team-mate K and I lost to this player despite the fact that we fought hard. Since I had not played against him before, I could not work on particular tactics against him. I thought that the same tactics I used last week against the number one anti-spin player in the competition could be used against him too. However, they did not work against him since he played in a totally different way. When I analysed our matches against him, I found out that we must have forced him to move to the right and the left from his comfort zone- the middle of the table- in order to prevent him from getting his corners and extremes. Furthermore, we must have served mainly long with float or lot of spin to avoid his body bending short hits. His long float serves must have been returned with more lifting motion or looping motion. He should have been attacked more instead of engaging pushing rallies with him :?: . Team-mate D beat him quite comfortably since he played this way :D . However, our opponent teamed up with the other anti-spin attacker to beat my team-mates in the first double. Both opponents were able to get their corners and extremes and eventually won the double :^) .

Fortunately, we were able to limit their winnings to these three matches and win the other eight matches in hardly fought battles. I played extremely well with the other two opponents using my usual tactics. I had played many friendly matches against these two guys before and I had a very good understanding of their game. However, the anti-spin attacker made a tactical move before the match began. He decided not to use the blade with anti-spin rubber and came up with another blade with normal rubbers. It was a wise move since I wanted him to play with anti-spin rubber that I could handle well |( .

Anyway, the major strokes of this player were forehand smash from his backhand corner to my forehand corner and backhand smash to the right and the middle of the table. To prevent him from playing these strokes, I served very short to his backhand corner with backspin and sidespin and tried to get high balls which I could attack with a good placement. Secondly, I served very short to the extreme corner of his forehand side with heavy spin in order to force him to make errors or return high balls enabling me to attack. When he served half long to my forehand corner, I looped the ball to his backhand corner where he made many errors. He was not an easy opponent. I managed to win the first two sets. Then he came back and won the next two sets. Then I decided to be more agressive and I attacked him more often from both wings. Eventually I won the final set 11-8 and the match accordingly :D .

This opponent decided to use anti-spin blade against my team-mates. Fortunately, my team-mates were now in a much better position to deal with anti-spin players. They seemed to know the limitations of the anti-spin rubbers and the weaknesses of the anti-players. So, my team-mates also beat him, but each set was fought hard by each side :up: .

The third player was a looping attacker. His major strokes were forehand attack with topspin(mainly cross court) and forehand smash to my forehand corner from his backhand side. I kept on serving very short to the extreme backhand corner with backspin and sidespin to prevent him from playing his forehand smash to my forehand corner. Furthermore, I served to the middle of the table with sidespin in order to make the ball curve towards his body. The idea was to force him to make errors when he tried to play his usual forehand cross court strokes. Whenever I served to his forehand side, I wanted the ball to bounce near the net and at the edge of the table. This prevented him from playing his forehand topspin shots. Despite these measures, there were good attacking and looping rallies. I managed to win most of these rallies. This guy was not an easy opponent who managed to win the first set. Then I managed to win the next. He won the third set. I won the forth set and the final set. My team-mates were also able to beat this opponent who fought hard against them :sweat: .

As far as I was concerned, this night was quite good one since I won two sinlges and the double with team-mate D. We didn't do well as a double combination up to this point since we could not understand how we support each other to win points. This time I tried to communicate better with my team-mate and push the ball short with backspin until I got the right ball to attack. I wanted my team-mate to do the same thing and avoid risks and hasty shots. As far as serves were concerned, we both tried to set up the ball for each other's attack :up: . As a result of these changes, we were able to beat the two attackers quite comfortably.

Finally, we won the night by 8-3 and this win helped us take up the equal second place with the SP player's team. They lost to the team we beat last week by 6-5. So, now we and the SP player's team have equal number matches and equal points(34-16 and 34-16).

Last edited by Najay on 12 Aug 2011, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2011, 15:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Good win Najay, although this team would be the weakest in A5, having come from B1??

Anyway, if you can repeat your performances in the 2nd half of the season, maybe you will sneak into 2nd on set countback :lol: or maybe you can do a match or 2 better and make clear 2nd :up:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 20:52 

This team is not the weakest in the competition. As a matter of fact, they have been very competitive even though they have beaten only one team yet. The team that they have beaten or the team I described as 'couches' specials' is the weakest one. This weakest team has affected the placing in the competition more than any other team. Anti-spin player's team has taken the first place becasuse they won all 11 matches against this team since they had only two players at the beginning. When we played against this team, they had an experienced player to fill in. So, we managed to win only 9 matches. When the SP player's team played against the weakest team, they still had this filling in player. So, they also ended up winning 9 or 10 matches. However, the filling in player has become regular now, so no team is going to have a special advantage in the next round.

My team-mate K called me the other day and said that he got a back injury at work :( . He will be away for one or two weeks.I don't know how his absence will affect our chances to hold the second place or perhaps take up the first place. I must find someone who can fill in for him. This should be done carefully. I must find someone who has played in A5 recently. If I bring in a person who has played in a higher grade,there will be some complaints and we mightl lose some matches :?: .

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 17:48 

(Comments welcome)

We had another great win on Monday against a very tough team consisting of two LP players and a looping attacker. As far as I was concerned, it was a very good night since I beat both LP players comfortably :D . We had a very good player to fill in for team-mate K who was not availlable due to a back injury.

I have described the playing style of the LP attacker before. He uses pips to get more time to move to the ball by slowing down the speed of the opponent. Pips help him maintain his position close to the table absorbing power and spin of the opponent's strokes. Hitting flat and brushing the ball with pips in different directions, he tries to create spin reversal and float effect to force the opponent to make errors. When the opponent returns weak balls, he attacks them with both LP and smooth sides of his blade.

This time my LP opponent broght a Vietnamese friend/coach from whom he could get advice to deal with us :^) . So, I expected a tougher fight from him. He got ideas and coaching lessons after each set from his coach, but they did not seem to work against me. I just kept on executing my usual tactics against him and he became more and more frustrated. My major tactics were serving long with back, side and top spin to his backhand corner and to his body/playing elbow,serving very short to his forehand corner, pushing back his LP shots to his backhand corner and to the body area with variety of spin, serving and playing no spin flat shots to his LP side, slow and fast looping to his backhand side and attack him with speed and spin with a good placement. Despite the support of his coach, these tactics worked extremely well. His coach seemed very angry at the end :headbang: . The final score was 3-0 :up: .

Can you remember the LP lady blocker/pusher I have described in my previous reprts?. She plays near the table and uses pips to create speed and spin varietion to force her opponents to make errors by breaking their timing and rhythm. She is very patient,consistent and mentally tough. She pushes every shot back to you holding the racket at different angles. She always tries to wear you down being a brick wall. If you are not prepared for her game, you will be beaten by her quite badly.

Remember, last time I lost to her by 2-3. Yes, on that occasion, I had a wrong rubber combination. This time I had a right rubber combination and I was well prepared. My major tactic was to force her to move to the right and the left from her comfort zone-the middle of the table. Serving to the corners and to the body/elbow arears with variety of spin, pushing back her shots with variety of spin and with no spin to the left, the right and the deep middle of the table and looping slow to her backhand corner were the other major tactics. All of these tactics were used to break her timing and rhythm and make her unbalanced. When this happened, she tended to return somewhat high and weak balls which I attacked with speed and spin towards both right and left corners. This time Roxon 450 and Gewo Stratos Sound worked extremely well as a BH and FH combination. Eventually, I won 3-0 :D .

Despite these great wins, I again failed against the looping attacker. I had to play the first macth aganst him and this no doubt put me in a negative mind-set. For some reasons, I could not execute my usual tactics against him. Although, I completely stopped him playing his looping strokes by serving and playing to his weaker backhand side, I made many uncharacteristic and silly mistakes when I returned his spinny serves and rather mild backhand strokes :headbang: . At the same time, I noticed that his rubbers produced a very low ball trajectory and very low bouncing strokes. I must look at these factors when I prepare my game plan against him next time :?: .

Our substitute player performed extremely well and managed to win all three matches. When he beat the looper, he said that it was his first win against him :up: . Team-mate D also beat the looper and the LP lady, but failed to beat the LP attacker despite some tactical ideas I provided for him. The guy who came to support the LP player must have given some good points this time. Anyway, I noticed an attempt by team-mate D to play a different stroke which he learned from one of Youtube videos. He tried to play his backhand strokes more vertically instead of playing them in his usual way with upwards and forward motions |( . I warned him about negative consequences in doing so. This new stroke seemed to have contributed to his loss on this occasion.

We lost the both doubles. Our team-mate D tried to play his newly adopted rather flat backhand strokes again. He made much more errors in both doubles than in any previous double |( . However, we finally won the night by 7-4. Despite this win, we will be third since the team that shared the second place with us beat their weaker opposition by 8-3. The situation will change again next week when we play against the weakest team :) .

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 18:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

With a very limited choice of potential fill-ins you found probably the best available Najay! ;) Despite him winning all 3, no-one can complain given he's not played above A5. He may have made the difference between winning and losing. He most certainly did, against not having a third player at all! Sounds to me like you have a hard fight on your hands to find your way into the final. Will you have this fill-in until K returns?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 19:08 

We don't know how serious K's injury is. He will tell us about it after some tests. So we can't say how many weeks K needs to recover. I had full confidence in our substitute player. As a matter fact, D wanted Russian-born guy or the girl who played in A5 last season. I explained to him that M would be the best choice for various reasons. He will keep playing for us until K comes back.

Yes, this is a tough competition. The standard of all three teams seems the same. So, probably we have to wait until the completion of the matches in the final week to see the final placing.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011, 19:52 

We met the weakest team last Monday. Our aim was to win at least 10 matches and strengthen our position against the other two top teams. We thought that our aim was an easy one since their experienced player did not turn up. However, the young looping attacker whom I described as a player with some potential in a previous report tricked us intentionally or unintentionally. He managed to play with short pimples on his backhand until the end of the last match and win two matches accordingly :devil: .

First he beat our substitute player(who won all matches last week)quite comfortably. When I saw him winning points by playing flat and low backhand strokes with float and looping often with his forehand, I thought he had improved immensely. We did not know that he played differently because of his new equipment. So, I could not provide particular tactics for our guy to deal with his opponent more than my usual ideas against looping attackers. Team-mate D also had some difficulties to deal with this guy who seemed much better in playing his backhand strokes and setting up for his forehand attacks. He managed to took this match to a fifth set and lost only by few points. Even at this stage, we did not suspect that he was using short pimples :@ .

I played the last match against him. I had full confidence that I could beat this guy quite easily since I had beaten him in the previous round. However, he seemed to play much better now and he did not make any backhand errors this time. He returned my serves and strokes to his backhand quite flat and low with float. I made some errors in returning them or trying to attack them. So, I had to try his forehand now, but he managed to loop quite well on that side. Even when I lost the first set, I did not want to look at his racket. I managed to win the second set, but my opponent won the next two sets and the match accordingly. After the match, he left the racket on the table. Then, I happened to look at it and much to my annoyance, I found out that he had a Chinese SP rubber on his backhand side. I asked my team-mates whether they knew about it. They did not have a clue. How careless and stupid were we? :headbang:

I was quite frustrated and angry with myself. The only thing I could do was to convince the opponent to play few unofficial matches against me. We played four matches and I won 4-2. It gave a some sort of solace to me.

Anyway, we won the night by 9-2. This win will enable us to take up the second place now.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 17:40 

I couldn't write my weekly reports during last three weeks due to many reasons. However, I am going to write a brief report covering what happened during these three weeks.

First of all, I have to say that our team was in some disarray due to the absence of team-mate K who had a back injury. The person who filled in for him started playing up since his second week with us. He lost all of his matches against the top team of the SP player. He also demanded he wanted to play the first double despite my warning that it would give unnecessary advantage to the guy who had to play against me after this double. I was so angry and frustrated :@ . As I had predicted, I played my second match without any warming up against this guy who had already played a match. I had beaten this guy 3-0 in my last encounter, but this time he beat me 3-0.

I managed to beat the second looper 3-1 and it was my first win against him so far :up: . My tactics against him worked quite well on this occasion. I also used my tactics against SP player much better this time and the match went to five sets again. I was leading in the final set, but as usual, my opponent had many edges and nets.He managed to win the final set by two points :headbang: . Team-mate D did not play particularly well, but managed to win two matches. So, we lost 3-8 and this loss damaged badly our chances to go to the final :n: .

The guy who filled in for us for three weeks refused to play for us next week because we had to play against his previous team-mate who was notorious for abusing other players and behaving like a short-tempered teenager. Our substitute player seemed afraid of this guy.

We played against the second team in the following week. We had a young guy as a substitute player. He played in A5 last season and his team won the final. He decided not to play in the current season due to his academic commitments. In these circumstances, he was entitled to fill in for any team in A5. In order to avoid possible complaints, we got the approval of the officials who were present at the night. However, the guy whom I have explained above as a nasty person, walked out protesting that our substitute player was too good for the grade.

Our substitute lost one single match and the double with the team-mate D and this proved that he was not too good for the grade. Anyway, we won the night 8-3. Even though I lost to the looping attacker, I had a great win against the anti-spin player again. I executed my tactics against very well and he had no answers to them :up: .

The young guy who filled in for us did not want to do it again because of the way our opposition behaved. So, I had to find another person as a substitute for the final night. I managed to bring one of my friends as our substitute and win the night 9-2. It was rather an easy night since there were only two opponents.This time, I beat the crafty,awkward and difficult anti-spin guy by 3-0. It was a great and sweet victory :up: .

We thought that we had a great chance to go to the final since the guy who walked out did not turned up. However, much to my annoyance, the Vietnamese player in this team had brought another very experienced Vietnamese player who I had seen playing in higher grades before :n: . I explained this to the officials, but they had not seen him playing in higher grades. So, he went on to beat every one in the top team and made the second team win comfortably. In these circumstances, our chances faded away.

The final results of the first three teams were 72-32, 72-32 and 70-32. So we ended up with the third place.

Last edited by Najay on 17 Sep 2011, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 19:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Najay wrote:
We played against the second team in the following week. We had a young guy as a substitute player. He played in A3 last season and his team won the final. He decided not to play in the current season due to his academic commitments. In these circumstances, he was entitled to fill in for any team in A3. In order to avoid possible complaints, we got the approval of the officials who were present at the night. However, the guy whom I have explained above as a nasty person, walked out protesting that our substitute player was too good for the grade.

I think you mean played A5 last season here Najay, not A3.

I'm wondering who the fill-in for the 2nd team was? It wasn't the guy who was protested against filling in for the A4 premier last season was it? You guys were unlucky not to make it. I wonder what that 2nd team is going to do in their final. They won't have a 3rd qualified to play.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 20:48 

Reb, thanks for correcting my mistake. It was A5, not A3. Yes, they don't have a third player for the final. That means the team of your friend David will come to your grade next season. Are you happy about it?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 20:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I'd be happier if we win the final and go into A3 :lol: But given we might not even have our 3rd player either, this is unlikely.

Not my favourite opposition, but I can live with it. :P :envy:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 22:48 

I did not want to write my regular reports during the last season mainly because of the fact that my team in A5 became somewhat weaker. Our team mate D left the team for playing in A4. Someone had convinced him that he should play with them in the next grade because of his high percentage. Frankly, I did not appreciate this move. Even though he had his rights to be ambitious, team mate K and I expected some commitment and loyalty from him. I heard from K that D tried to move to the next grade even at the beginning of the season :n: . If I was aware of D's intentions, I wouldn't have joined him.

D's departure forced me to bring a player from B1. He played reasonably well and won about 40 per cent of his games. His game depended on his very spinny serves and spinny pushes. His backhand strokes were quite good, but his forehand strokes were not to the standard of A5. He was not willing to communicate and improve his game. He showed some sort of resentment when we tried to communicate with him. This weakness was quite noticeable in doubles. Even I could not perform to my best ability since I always thought that our team was not very strong. So, we ended up with the second last place.

I discussed the matter with my team mates and decided to recruit a stronger player as the third member. G understood the situation and expressed his willingness to join another team possibly in B1. So, hopefully, our team might perform much better next season in A5.

I had much better results in A4 Master pennant held on Thursdays. In the previous season, I was playing in A3 with a young guy who I thought was not very responsible.When one of my old friends(who had a long break due to injuries) asked me to join him and play in A4, I willingly accepted the offer. He was very good LP player and he lost only one match during the whole season. My performance was also very good and I lost only 3 matches out of 20. So, we were unbeaten throughout the season and eventually we won the final quite convincingly. My team mate became the leading player :up: . Hopefully, we will be in A3 next season.

I intend to continue writing my reports on strategies against various playing styles during next season which will begin from 23rd January, 2012.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 23:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I look forward to your return to reporting Najay. Teams have movements and migrations of players for varying reasons and its not always easy to keep everyone happy as you well know. Some will maneuvre to try to advance, while others prefer to remain loyal. It takes all sorts, but in the end we should all remain mates. I think you'd be aware D is now coming back to the fold of my team, something he left about 3 and a half years ago in search of greater ambition, yet ended up being overtaken by my various team make-ups since then :lol: . I wonder if he will stay loyal this time? He will have some hard work to do if my team keeps the A3 spot we earned to keep this season.

Congrats on the A4 Masters win. I think it somewhat hinged on your match against your Monday teamy G that you managed to squeeze out perhaps due to the knowledge you built of his weaknesses from watching him on Mondays? See, every cloud has a silver lining :lol: :up: Good luck in A3 Masters. A2 Masters will be interesting next season for me, taking on a new teammate there too!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 15:21 

Our new season started last Monday.I was told by the administration that we got a Chinese player with Japanese pen holder style. Since I knew that he was a good player, I was happy with his inclusion. However, he did not turn up. Disappointing thing was that I could not contact him since the telephone numbers given to me by the administration were disconected ones. So, I had to call someone else :headbang: .Even though he was busy with the Chinese new year, he was kind enough to come and play for us :up: . Even our opposition did not have one of their regular members. So, they had brought someone else to fill in for them.

Our opposition was led by the LP blocker lady whom I have mentioned in my previous reports.She had a new player who was the second player of the team that won the final last season in A5. He had a personal dispute with the Russian-born Polish guy in his team(I have explained how annoying this guy could be in one of my previous reports). So, he had decided to stay in the same grade instead of going up with this guy. I expected a very tough night because of the inclusion of this new player.

I have already explained in my previous reports the tactics I used to beat the LP lady who would be very consistent, patient and crafty. This time, apart from these tactics, I added a new weapon into my game plan, that is, spin variation with a higher degree of spin. So, I got more and more high balls which I could attack from both wings. I could limit the score of my opponent to 6,7 and 8 in the three sets and the whole match took shorter time than before.

Our team-mate K has also learned the art of beating this LP player. So, he also beat her in straight sets. However, the Chinese player, who filled in for us, had a real problem in getting points against her, even though he would be able to beat many players in our grade.He is left handed and he loops almost every ball. His strokes are mainly high and very spinny. Sometimes, they are slow and low too. He can create very difrficult angles.However, the blocker lady returned his shots without any difficulty and won the match by 3-1. This will show you how difficult she she is, if you have not studied her game and have not played against her before.

Our real threat came from the new guy who still used a pre-made Stiga bat he brought more than 15 years ago.He has played in higher grades than A5 before. He still wins most of his games using this old bat. His rubbers have no grip and they have become sort of anti-spin rubbers. This player uses his old bat in a very special way. His main tactic is to serve without spin or with a little spin and create very difficult angles when he plays his strokes. When he hits the ball, it travels in a low trajectory with a float. If you try to hit the ball hard, it goes into the net or flys over the table.His angles are very hard to deal with. K had a real problem in dealing with him since he appeared to have no game plan against this guy.We could not communicate this time since I was busy with finding a fill in player. So, K lost the match by 1-3. This loss forced me to find some tactics against him.

Our Chinese looper also had a big problem in dealing with this guy. Using his fast and slow loops, our guy won the first set. Our opponent came back and won the next two sets proving that he could handle top spin quite well. Our guy managed to win the forth set, but the final set went to our opposition.

Yes, I beat him in fiercely fought battle. I lost the first set because I tried to smash his floating ball every time.I also missed some of his angled shots. So, I decided to be more patient,consistent and quicker while trying to add more spin and variation into my serves and pushes. Instead of hitting hard, I decided to play strokes in a looping fashion with side and top spin while creating difficult angles.This plan worked quite well. I won the next two sets. He came back and won the forth set by playing more and more shots to my backhand. When I returned them with some back spin, he was able to send them back to my extreme corners. Therefore, in the deciding set, I had to try to add more and more spin to my pushes while serving more spinny serves to both corners. He made several mistakes in returning my serves and pushes. When I tried to lift his floating shots with a looping action, I could avoid any mistake. Eventually, I won the set by 11-8 and the match accordingly :up: .

I beat their third player without any difficulty. Again, using my improved serves and serving mainly to his right corner and to the playing elbow, I could set up my forehand attacks. He seemed to have no answers to my plan, even though he tried different things. So, I also won this match by 3-0.

We managed to win both doubles. We communicate quite well on these occasions. So, we won the night by 8-3. As far as I am concerned, my three single wins no doubt would raise my confidence in future matches :D .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next