OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 22:30 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

seems like you want to smash a chop...:O, try looping it :P

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 12:20 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

decoy wrote:
seems like you want to smash a chop...:O, try looping it :P

+1

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 01:12 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

The Colac club is legendary, make use of some of the older guys at the top of that club, they have been putting shame to most the other small clubs in the state since the 1960s, you can learn a lot from them

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 11:31 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Duncan, you have gone quiet. Weren't you going to post a clip of you playing?

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 11:21 

Sorry all to the lack of blog posts, I have recently just had University exams which have been extremely time consuming.

I will give a wrap up of the last two weeks and tell you how things of gone.

First of all due to some "Circumstances" which happened last night, a new blade at least will be required.

So last week Monday the 6th we played a game versus the team pronounced Triple B". This team has the best number One in the competition and is quite handy, "Butch" an excellent table tennis player had not lost a game (And still hasnt) for the whole 5 rounds that have been played.

I arrive at the club and am immediately put to work by having a quick hit up with one of the guys and after a while since none of my team had shown up, I had to play against a fellow number two who I managed to beat quite convincingly, really hitting the ball well and just playing a good game. Mainly because this player had the same style I did. Which was good. 11-7 11-8 11-5.

Second match I played was the doubles, a very close and intense game which we lost in the 5th set 11-9, mainly because of Butch's ability to just about hit an attacking shot off any ball, seemed to be not phased by spin.

Third Match I played was against a number three who I thought i would beat quite comfortably, well was I in for quite the surprise. I think it was overconfidence or something but Mark beat me 3 sets - 0. I played his game and just gave him to many easy balls to smash, which brings me to the weakness showed.

4 Match Played was against Butch and I put up a fight losing 11-8, 11-7, 11-8 But he was much too strong, just proving his dominance once again in the club.

Overall I was disappointed with the entire night, absolutely shattered after losing my match to Mark... So yeah on a bit of a downer at the moment.

Deciding after I get my blade, it's back to basics, Footwork, looping blocking. Just going to start it all again.

Will post my match this week after some more study :)

Cheers,

Duncan.

(Video coming soon, just got to get past exams)

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 15:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I wouldn't worry too much about how you play when you have major things going on in life like exams. Its always a tense time and while TT is a great "study-break" activity, just play for the fun of it at this time and forget results. Doesn't sound that bad losing to your clubs best -8,-7,-8 anyway.

Good luck with the exams. :up:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 04:19 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... tleid%3A43

I know that's the enemy club for Colac (Camperdown) but this gives you an idea of the history of table tennis in that area

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 00:16 

Hello,

Excited to say Exams are all finished, they went well.. But enough about my future lets talk Table Tennis.

So Monday night was our last game before the school holiday break of 3 weeks and I'm happy to announce that the team had a great win.

Upon arriving at the venue I see no team members and all of the opposition players at the table we're allocated, I'm thinking "Great, they're pumped up ready to go
and none of us are here, lets go to it, shall we". I sit down, but for not very long before i'm put to work in my first match against the top team.

First Opponent "Warren"- Little Bio:

I've never beaten Warren and i've played him over 3 times, he is easily the most defensive player i've played against.

So the first set, he may have been a bit cold, after some intense rallies of just chopping chopping chopping, me making a couple of mistakes and then a few good forehands to take out the first set 11 - 9.

The second set he had warmed to my game, as he did in our previous instance. And it was over fairly quickly he dominated me 2nd set, with too many errors, mainly due to my Smashes going long, not adapting to backspin, which I need massive help.

Warren wins 2nd set 11-3

Third Set- Once again he gets the jump on me early, 4-0. I'm down I manage to get it to 8-5 his way and keep plugging. Warren eventually drags it to 11-8.

Fourth Set- With confidence up a bit from the previous set, where i was manage to claw a few points... I decide to play his game more and not get sucked into smashing until I absolutely KNOW it's the right ball, i'm patiently waiting and gruel out the 4th set win 11-6 with some nice combos and very long and intense rallies.

5th Set- I decide, okay i'm going to keep going with this, but this time bait him into doing what he doesnt practice very often and that is smashing and using topspin on forehand, So i gruel out some rallies and play some great table tennis, baiting him into a few smashes that go off, which lower his morale. I take the midway point 5-1 and keep trying and trying. And finally come out with the win 11-3

Very happy with how I played, ecstatic when i got to shake his hand and be deemed the winner. Great feeling to get a win over a foe who has troubled you for so long.

Doubles- We lose the first two sets quite convincingly to Warren and Jim, to both credit deserved, as we played terrible. However we picked our spots and manage to win the next two sets 11-9, 12-10. Down to the decider, there was a tenseness in the air, both teams really wanted to win this one.. We start off bad at the midpoint we were 5-3 down, change ends... With jim serving to me... I manage to pull out a great backhand loop straight back at him which doesnt get returned, feeling good.. I just chop the next serve and we win that to make it 5-5.

We tough out the set to win 11-9 and go 3-0 in the games.

Next Singles against Their number 3- Was a good follow up from the last match against Warren, I carry the form in to win Comfortably in 3 sets 11-8 11-6 11-7. I outplayed my opponent in every way and was very happy with the result.

After that round of singles and doubles our team is up 6-0

Third and Final Singles Match: Against Number 1 "Jim"

Jim outplays me right from the beginning, Highlighting one of my weaknesses, my backhand defend of a smash and topspin, Either the ball goes out or into the net.
He wins in 3. 11-8 11-8 11-9

Our team has won against the top team 10-1, with my game against Jim being the only defeat of the night.

Weaknesses to be worked on, Backhand topspin/loop and Backhand Block, Serve and footwork.

Thanks All. And let me know if you want more :) Hope it's not boring to read.

Ps.
Mum has requested that she needs a new bat, her side is all cracked and some of the rubber is out of the bat.

She is a defensive player, playing mainly chop on her BH Side. Currently using a Tulpe bat of some kind.

Things she wants to get better at, topspin (As she does not know how to play it) and backhand topspin, blocking and the like.

Her gamestyle is : BH CHOP, Forehand Chop, FH Smash... She does not play any attacking shots on her backhand and would love
an all round bat setup that would compliment her further development of her shots that I have just mentioned.

Cheers,
Duncan.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 00:24 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

DuncanMc wrote:
Mum has requested that she needs a new bat, her side is all cracked and some of the rubber is out of the bat.

She is a defensive player, playing mainly chop on her BH Side. Currently using a Tulpe bat of some kind.

Things she wants to get better at, topspin (As she does not know how to play it) and backhand topspin, blocking and the like.

Her gamestyle is : BH CHOP, Forehand Chop, FH Smash... She does not play any attacking shots on her backhand and would love
an all round bat setup that would compliment her further development of her shots that I have just mentioned.

How nice. :)

Perhaps something which is particularly very stable for chop and drive/smash? All-around bats which are a bit stiffer than usual sounds good for her.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 11:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

A top team that gets beaten 10-1 doesn't usually stay top for long :lol: Where does this put you on the ladder? How many teams in your grade?

Good win! Its always nice to beat a player you haven't beaten before. Wait until you beat someone you have lost to 5 or 10 times, often getting close but never quite snaring it. Thats a good feeling! Even better if you can back it up with a 2nd win the next time you play them. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 12:55 

Yea, I could imagine the feeling of beating someone you've lost to 5-10 times, it was just good to get the win.

After that victory we are currently 3rd on the ladder, there are 6 teams.

Top 4 play finals :)

So hopefully we can keep plugging and at least get 3rd to give ourselves the best chance to win.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 14:11 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Duncan, it maybe a very early 1970s style combo but the Yasaka Sweden Classic with Tackiness chop on BH and Tackiness Drive on FH both in 1.5mm is still about as good as you can get for a retro control, chop and smash and even some looping. On average club players back in those days were at a higher level than the average player today, the only reason I can think of is that most players now use 2.1 or max sponge and back then most players used 1.5 or 1.8mm. This is worth thinking about

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 13:34 

Well what a month and a half it's been.

First of all, i'd like to take this opportunity to apologise for lack of posts, I've had a mixed bags of things that's kept my time. Theatre Shows, University and the dreaded illness. Gastro.

Over the last couple of weeks however i've been able to play the game i love Table Tennis and thus fulfilled one of my goals in playing in a tournament. The week before last I had a shocking day when we met Tuesday Team". Still not fully recovered from Gastro I fronted up to table tennis and right from the get go, my heart wasnt in playing. Which showed in my performance losing all 3 singles games, but managed to not let my team mate down in the doubles department. As i can vaguely remember the scores i will allude you to the tournament I just played the weekend last gone.

TOURNAMENT:

There were four teams Portland, Colac, Terang and Orford (Could be wrong on the spelling of that one) all of which had entrants in four grades A, B, C & D

I played for Colac in the C Grade, as it was my first time in the competition, the event was held at the Warrnambool Table Tennis Stadium.
The event was a two day affair, on the Saturday and Sunday just been.

Early on the Saturday we played the young outfit of Portland, in which we managed to beat 7-4

Our team consisted of 3 males, Randall, Ken & Myself

My first game was against there Number 2, in which the game went to the fifth set.

The fifth game was extremely nervewrecking, the guy i was playing against was just so consistent getting everything back, so i went into the halfway back 5-4 up in the last set. The points were tit for tat, being won on both of our serves, The guy I was playing against was 9-10 up and I served a good ball which he put long over the table, fair to say being my first ever game in the tournament that was the best feeling ever. I went on to win the next two by forced errors on his behalf.. My teammates were very happy :)

My second Game was against there number one player, who was very good, I didnt play my game and missed some very easy smashes which caused mental games in my head... I lost 11-8, 11-9 and 11-6.

Third game which I lost was played in good spirits, i made a friend out of him, he beat me in the fifth set 12-10, after i come back from 10-7 down, I was disappointed but he was cool so it was alright.

From these matches I realise i tense up and dont believe in my ability to play the backhand loop which is killing me in games, i want to learn it so bad but we dont have any coaches in Colac. Any help would be very appreciated, I've read some reviews and might get some help out of the Table Tennis Master backhand loop video.

After lunch was the championship of the tournament where you play all the guys in your division and play against all the other teams, Terang, Orford etc etc.

There were 2 groups for C Grade i was in group B. I won my initial two games, One against Tim who i beat just in the Portland Match, this time it was the same until
Set 5 where I commanded from the start winning 11-3

My second game was against The guy from Portland who bet me in the fifth set 12-10, I'm not going to lie, I played really well.. After working on my backhand a bit with one of the senior guys from Colac I managed to hit the loop a bit better. I took it out in 3 sets, just totally dominating from the get go.

My third game was against a guy to have a spot in the Grand Final, (who turned out to be the games aggregate winner for C Grade) Gordon his name. After beating everyone apart from me in our group he was considered favourite and for good reason. He returned everything, a man of great experience Gordon being 73, knew how to get the ball back, "make no mistakes" his table tennis motto, (I found out after the game). 2-0 Up Gordon looked to close the match out, however after a brief inspirational talk from my mum, i managed to fight to get one set off him and nearly a second set, but he proved to good and beat me.

After this game and my teams games we headed to the motel where we were staying at and got ready for another big day on Sunday.

First off our team played Terang, we lost the rubbers 7-4.
Although i was very happy with my effort, winning 2 rubbers and my doubles.

I played their number 3 who gave me a scare, after being 2-0 up he came back to 2-2 in which i finally got over him, I reverted to chopping to force all of his errors.

The second game I played was against their number 1 who ultimately bet Gordon in the championship 3-0.
However i proved to much from him, (His main shot was a backspin backhand which seemed to prove to hard to smash or do anything with) So i decided, to chop again and just force errors, which happened. winning 3-1 and i looked in control of most of the match. I picked my shots to hit with least amount of backspin also hitting some nice forehands.

The third game was the game I wasnt looking forward to, Our team pretty much got decimated by this old hand Pat Nicholson who had a really good serve which gave him alot of free points, i didnt know how to handle it, I got one set out of him and that was it.

The next and final team we played Was Orford, who won every division in the team events and most of the championship events also.

Our team Lost 10-2 Like all the others.

I played Gordon again and managed to get another another set on him. He won 3-2, I started hitting my shots instead of getting into a backhand war with him, he gave me some great inspiration to come again, telling me I had great potential, haha. So that was nice.

I lost to their number 3 who was my last game, in which I was extremely tired and he just had the moves on me, I wasnt prepared to fight hard enough to come out with the victory, losing 3-0. 11-8 13-11 12-10

And finally, i said to my friend, my goal for the day is to beat their number two (who i didnt particularly care for).

Who i managed to beat 3-1, just by playing my shots and defending when necessary, my friend/teammate was very excited because he didnt care for him much either.

All in all, I had the best weekend ever and learnt a few things.

However I still need to work on a few things: And because i cant get coaching it will prove difficult.

Backhand Loop
Forehand Loop
Serve

So I think i'm going to buy the Table Tennis Master Backhand and Forehand Loop Dvd's unless you know better ones out there. If you have these dvd's is there anyway
I can get them off you for cheaper, that would be brilliant, otherwise dont worry about it.

Hope it wasnt to long and sorry for being out of action.

Take care,

DuncanMc

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 13:01 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

DuncanMc wrote:
So I think i'm going to buy the Table Tennis Master Backhand and Forehand Loop Dvd's unless you know better ones out there. If you have these dvd's is there anyway

I haven't seen them in their entirety but I know the hostess is very easy on the eye. I'm sure they would be of benefit but maybe you don't need to fork out the cash just yet. Have you tried the pingskills clips on youtube? they are vg and should keep you busy for quite a while. Also, studying clips of top players can give you technical ideas as well as inspiration.

Also, if you post a clip of yourself playing on here I'm sure you would get some useful feedback.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 14:25 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

DuncanMc wrote:
My third game was against a guy to have a spot in the Grand Final, (who turned out to be the games aggregate winner for C Grade) Gordon his name. After beating everyone apart from me in our group he was considered favourite and for good reason. He returned everything, a man of great experience Gordon being 73, knew how to get the ball back, "make no mistakes" his table tennis motto, (I found out after the game). 2-0 Up Gordon looked to close the match out, however after a brief inspirational talk from my mum, i managed to fight to get one set off him and nearly a second set, but he proved to good and beat me.

I played Gordon again and managed to get another another set on him. He won 3-2, I started hitting my shots instead of getting into a backhand war with him, he gave me some great inspiration to come again, telling me I had great potential, haha. So that was nice.

Great to get a tournament under your belt Duncan. I wonder if you will get a TTV rating out of it? Great experience anyway.

I take it Gordon was from Warnambool or at least registered there. I managed to find who I think is him on the ranking list. It's Gordon G right?

Anyway, it gives me a good feel for where you are at now roughly in comparison to my own club's standard. I would say you would play B3 or B4, but this is in a strong city club remember. Some of our top players are in top 10 in Vic and many in top 100). One of our juniors plays around this level and has a ranking a little below Gordon so I am figuring you and he would have a good match.

Anyway, it was interesting to read your report. :up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next