OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 14:50 

Yes it is Gordon G indeed, he beat me in the last set 11-8, oh well, them's the breaks.

Yes i'm still working on a video just need my sister to be a bit cooperative, it might mean washing the dishes tonight on my own. Haha.

Thanks for writing on it and I have to also post my results of last night's club matches.

Monday Night We played the top team again and this time it was alot closer.

I played my first match against their number 3 (Who beat our number 1 the same night)

11-8, 11-6, 4-11 & 11-9

I missed more smashes then they were worth in the four so i reverted to chopping and just plugged and plugged to get the win.

My second match was a fill in against my good friend Darren.

I missed easy shots and coupled with his ability to get the ball back he outplayed me and won in 3

12-10 13-11 11-8

My third game was against their number 1, who I had beaten once and lost twice.

However this time it was different, I managed to find my groove and fought for every game.

I won 3-0

11-8 11-8 11-3 His mindgames got to him in the end and started playing bad shots.

Still need to work on backhand wing together and serves, will keep you posted.

Thanks,

DuncanMc.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011, 03:40 

Ok Duncan. Good tournament and obvously you are improving on your road to be the best. Thr question I want to ask is why are you improving? Is it practice matches, just more experance, equipment, effort to improve certain areas of your game, or why? I find it help full for me to see what is getting better and contnue to do those things, and what is not and adjust my "training" accordingly. Kinda like my chicken wing shot with my anti. I tried for years to stop it by finally I had a friend track it in a match and found I won almost every point I tried it. So why change it. Look at where your at and see why, and I believe it will help you grow closer to your goal. Thanks for sharing your story

Tri-carbon HAMMER

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011, 14:25 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Nice job Duncan, I saw you there but I was kinda busy playing and losing finals :0 so didn't get a get a chance to talk to you. I was supposed to consult your mum about some rubbers also, but I think a couple sheets of tacky chop or one of tacky chop and one of tacky drive or Mark V would be good for her. 1.8mm sponge will be more than enough, even 1.5 should be fine.

It's a bit stiffer competition at that tournament that local pennant in the country, it's another step again to the official tournaments but one step at time is the way to go :up: Go for B grade next year!

Also about coaching you can go to Warrnambool and have coaching anytime you are able to get there go here and look up the top and chop coaching http://www.insports.com.au/ttv/wtta/default.asp

Reb, Gordon G is a different Gordon, he plays around the middle of A grade at that comp, Duncan played C grade, Gordon G's is a good solid looper whos just returned to the game after a coupe decades break, his rating is low (although rapidly going up) because he's from the country and doesn't play ttv tournaments (yet) other than country week but he would be on 1000 points in Melbourne no problem.

Most of the guys at that tournament don't play TTV tournaments as most of the clubs participating are small clubs so don't have ratings or if they do they are low compared they the standard they are at. Orford is the strongest club because of it's close proximity to Warrnambool, most of the Orford players are guys from Warrnambool that play both places and Warrnambool is a reasonably powerful club, to put the grades into perspective.

A grade is 1500-950 (Melbourne levels) If you want to be a good chance to win the A grade outright you need to play at around 1300-1400 level on the given day to win it
B grade is 950-600 (Melbourne Levels)
C grade is 600-350 (Melbourne Levels)
and
D grade is (sub 350)

Portland is the only club there with the entire club rated and the young kids they had in the C grade team are on (points are accurate TTV Jnr points, go about +200 to get them to adult points) 1) 410, 2) 320? and 3) 280 points, that gives you a solid idea of where Duncan is at so far. The tournament is obviously not a TTV rated one (only the full on opens are) nor is Colac a TTV club so there wont ever be any ratings unless he joins another club and goes there to play. In any case he was competing well the other young kids so everything is going well so far :)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 08:59 

Hello,

First of all, thankyou very much Foam for all the information you have provided, got a feel for where I am at the moment.

Second of all today is the day for the club championships, so hopefully I can do well and win a couple.

It's a knockout style tournament i believe, If you lose you are out... (But you dont focus on losing, right.)

So today's goal is:

Win at least One Match to advance to the second round.

However, I do have a sore neck and My new rubbers (Hopefully) arrive today, which will need to be practised with beforehand.

Righto.

Cheers,
Duncan.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011, 21:03 

G'day fellow Table Tennisers (Not sure the proper lingo).

Good news and bad news, first of all the good news.

I achieved my goal and made it to the second round of the club championships and played against the second best player in Colac and my fellow teammate from Old Spice
Russell"

He beat me in what was 3 tight games 11-9 12-10 11-8. He was just the better player on the night.

The second bit of good news is I'm currently ranked the best number two in Colac, which seems good, as i've made progress. And 7th overall in the club.

Bad news is,

I'm fairly behind the six in front of me. I've hit a bit of a wall with my progress i think, could be the new rubbers. Which are by the by (Donic Barracuda Red FH 2.0mm) & (Omega II Euro Sponge 2.0 mm Black BH) I'm liking the Omega II on the BH but the Red Barracuda is fairly different to my previous Joola Express. So i'm trying to get ready for it.

I just dont feel confident anymore on my drives and just really need to get back to basics, plus all my backhand loops are going off the table... So annoying.

Anyways,

Cheers.

Duncan.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011, 21:31 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

DuncanMc wrote:
Bad news is,
I've hit a bit of a wall with my progress i think, could be the new rubbers.

It's not the new rubbers ffs! :)

Some things just take time. Keep practicing your loops and going for them in matches - even if you lose doing it. For now aim for consistency - go for a comfortable net clearance with heavy topspin. Once you can get your first loop on all the time you are half way home.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011, 22:48 

What i meant was, I put that in the wrong spot haha. I meant hit a couple of forehands out...

I definitely know its my stroke, i'm not being egotistical, i know for sure that I've got some real bad habits going on..
I'm trying very hard.. I practise every day with mum it's just really really hard. But oh well, i'll keep plugging along trying my best.

Thanks Carbon.

Cheers,

Duncan.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2011, 00:53 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

No probs Duncan - you have a good attitude. Keep practicing and keep going for your loops. It will all pay off in the long run.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 13:17 

Hello,

Good news from the land of table tennis. "Old Spice" had another victory over second placed JDT. The last game before finals was great, we snuck in with a 6-5 victory.

For Reference, from now on i'll try putting my post in a kind of formula going something like :Team Players. :Games :Pros and Cons of the Night

So here goes.

JDT Consisted of:

John - arguably the 2nd best player in the Club - Mad backhand, able to topspin and get great angles of bad balls.

Darren - Top Tier Number 2 Player, very consistent good with spin and able to block smashes with ease.

Ted - Mid of the range number 3, very deceptive 70 odd old and beats the unwary player.

Games Order:
Duncan v Darren
Doubles Russell & Myself vs John & Darren
Duncan v John
Duncan v Ted

Duncan Vs Darren-

Darren took the first set 11-8 winning the first 3 points 3-1 and then just controlling the first set due to consistency
I took the next set 11-4 Playing a heavy consistent BH chop, and then a couple of smashes in the game.
Darren took the next set 11-7 a pattern occuring with a particular end, he got off to another great start and worked from there.
I took the 4th set 11-6 again, getting off to a good start chopping and i started to play FH Loop alot better, get a few off to spin which were slightly reacting off his end. You would be proud OOAK i actually hit a couple of good BH loops which i think everyone was surprised by, because I've been practising my ass off with BH loops so it was good to see it pay off.

I took the 5th set 11-4 just totally blitzing it with some great shots and even more BH loops, so I was very very happy.

Doubles -

We took that in 4 sets after losing the 1st quite convincingly, we dug deep and seemed to just chop our way to victory punishing any higher ball that was right for the picking.

Duncan v John

John beat me quite convincingly in 3. However i've worked out a bit of weak point towards the end of game 3 (when it was too late) he was not reacting to heavy i mean heavy topspin, so if we come up against him again i'll have to use it to give him a real go.

Duncan v Ted - I took this one quite easily, just being in too good of form and beat ted in 3. Props to him though, he's still a very good player. Much respect to Ted for even still playing table tennis at 70. Quite inspirational really.

Weaknesses:

BH Loop is still a bit weak and my FH Loop could be a bit better

Happy with:
I served a whole lot better tonight, which was good.

Alright. Take care,

DuncanMc

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 14:07 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

footage.... this needs footage

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 14:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
decoy wrote:
footage.... this needs footage

In club comps in Aus its unusual for people to bring out video cameras and record games. You will get weird looks a lot. Also it depends on the club but there often isn't room for a tripod either. Can make it difficult to get footage. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2011, 02:51 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

you could always find someone to hold it for you ?. :)

ooh and thanks for the reminder.... tripod :p

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 21:16 

Greetings All,

Long time no blog post.

I have been away from the sport for too long. Having a what seems 1 year break. From my small town of Colac, I have moved on to bigger things, I wouldnt say better
since i love my Colac Club.

I recently moved to Ballarat for University and as soon as I was settled in I managed to find the table tennis club, which I visited today for the first time.

Now let me tell you, it was quite the shock, Colac - 4 tables Ballarat 26+ tables. It was absolutely amazing, the people I've met were absolutely fantastic, being very
helpful and quite good table tennis players, showing me a thing or two.

It's great to be back and I can assure you that my blog is back on track, with my passion reignited thanks to the warm welcome from Table Tennis Ballarat,
I have already signed on for the pennant, commencing after the easter break.

Will probably do some research and ask a few questions on the blog.
Looking forward to talking to anyone who is from Ballarat that i didnt meet today through the blog.
Alright take care, thankyou for your time.

Regards,
Duncan.

P.S - I think i'll really work on developing my serve and backhand, into devastating weapons, cardio seems good, although alot of sweat was produced tonight.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 21:27 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Welcome back Duncan. There are some Ballarat players on this forum now. I'm sure you will catch up with them. I played a few seasons at Ballarat years ago - it's a great comp. What grade are you playing? Are you going to the coaching there?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 22:11 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Who was the guy from Portland?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next