OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 14:17 

Hello,

My Name is Duncan McIntosh. 19 Years of Age:
I am fairly new to Blogs in general but have found a great deal of joy to the response to the equipment section i posted just today.

I reside in a Small Town of about 11,000 and belong to a table tennis club of about 50 players. Ranging from (Best to Beginner)

A Grade
A Reserve
B Grade
C Grade.

I started my table tennis journey when I found out that my Grandfather was actually one of the leading players for the club of Colac. This was age 16. Like every youngster or beginner I started at C- Grade and have worked pretty hard to work my way to the 1st Grade (A Grade). I have won a couple of trophies, however the most memorable the A reserve Final with my mother and a family friend.

The way our system works is.
3 players to a Team. The best player is referred to as Number 1 and for lack of a better word worst player (Apparently) is Number 3. I am currently, the worst Number 2 in the A Grade Division, as our team "Old Spice" has the best player in the club. To even out the teams. And you play a different team each week.

The first week as a number 2 I lost 2 of my 3 singles games, which was disappointing.

2nd week, I Won 2 of my 3 Singles games, and narrowly lost one of them - when i was leading 2 sets to 0. Which i will talk about in detail because one of my weaknesses was highlighted and taken advantage of.

The man I played "Warren" plays a very casual style, he gets every ball back with not much force, and doesnt play many attacking shots. The epitome of defensive player. However I must have relaxed after being 2-0 in fairly good fashion, however he suddenly started to put alot of backspin on the ball and putting it high for me to hit. I would say that I missed about 15 smashes due to my swing approach, most of which went into the net. So it was devastating as I bet a number 1, but couldnt beat a fellow number 2 player, which would have been the first time I have ever won all three games in A Grade. (What made it worst is that the team lost 6-5).

As this is my first Blog Post. I will set out the Goals I want to achieve for the year. My weaknesses strength and the Blade and rubbers i'm currently using.

CURRENT PLAYSTYLE:
My playstyle is to look to attack on a forehand. I hit a fairly flat forehand due to Tennis background. My backhand is mainly to chop to move the player around and force a shot to free my forehand to hit a winner. I hit the occasional backhand topspin, but very rarely as I'm not yet confident in my ability.

GOALS:
To maintain an average of 2 games for the year (Meaning - I want to win 2 games each week)
To attend a tournament and Enjoy myself.
To Better my serve, Backhand loop, chop and overall back play.
Improve on footwork.
To not lose a game against a number 3.

Weaknesses in my Game:
My serving is pretty bad.
Overall Doubles play - Mostly due to players using a lot of spin
Backhand- I'm trying very hard to get my backhand to scratch but still have a long way to go. (Includes Chopping, Looping and Blocking).

My Axe:

Xiom Stradivarius Blade
Joola Express Red (Forehand)
Yasaka Mark V (Backhand) Both I'm pretty sure are 2mm.

As I play each week I will update my blog on things I did well, if any significant improvements have been made due to practice. I welcome any help on the weaknesses and will give a more detailed approach to my upcoming posts.

Also i'm looking to buy at least some new rubbers. (If not the whole Blade and Rubbers)

(I hope you enjoyed)

Thankyou very much,

Duncan McIntosh.

P.S - If there is anything you want me too add specifically just ask :)

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 14:37 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

get yourself an allround blade :P and none of that carbon malarkey , all wood, it will feel more comfortable to play with. Stiga Allround or something alike..

well done on the progress

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 14:57 

Thankyou Decoy for the Information.

I have been looking at blades and I have found this:

http://aussietabletennis.com/?Nav=Pdt&P ... egory_id=0

The Yasaka Balsa. (Is this the kind of Blade you were talking about. OR have I completely missed the mark)?

Also one other thing, am I able to embed a video?
As I may be able to set up a video camera of a practice game between myself and mum to show you the in's and outs of the playstyle and some of the weaknesses and challenges I face.

And thankyou for the kind words.
Thankyou.

Duncan.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 15:10 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I think your current blade has carbon layers in it. Decoy is suggesting to get a blade which is wood only (such as a Stiga all-round). I think it is a good suggestion. He doesn't mean that it has to be one-ply or anything like that.

If you are able I think it is an excellent idea to post a clip of you playing as I'm sure some forum members can give you some helpful feedback.

For now don't bother trying to match equipment with your current game as your game is bound to evolve over time. Just get something that has decent control and then focus on your game. Technique first, equipment second.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 15:17 

Sound advice, So here's what I'm thinking.

I'll post a clip of my playstyle. Then sort out the weaknesses and improve on strengths.
Then match a bat to the improvements.

Or do you think obtaining a Stiga All Around, would be a wise move?

Alright, now to just source a video camera. Thankyou :)

Thanks,

Duncan.

P.S - I'm at Uni and finished all my study for the day, if your wondering why I'm posting so quickly.
I'm not some freak that sits at a computer all day. *Cough*. Well that might be a lie, who knows.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 16:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm not sure if you need to buy new equipment... it depends on your level really, and the setup you've got is fairly fast but not rediculously fast.

A video is a great idea.... then try some of the tips that we can offer you..and see if you can make them work.

BTW There is no substitude for getting some hands-on tips from a coach, but if that's not an option, we're happy to offer some tips.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 17:39 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Hangon, we've got an A grader here (albeit low A as he said) who has been playing for 3 years and won an Ares finals and you're telling him to go from a high off/low off+ speed blade all the way back to an allround blade?

I seriously think this is a bad idea. A terrible idea in fact. It will require a large adjustment of your shots and touch.

If you really want to do something like this, take a smaller step backwards like to a blade in the middle of off or low off, not back to all. And don't go from a stiff composite blade to a highly flexible blade. A Butterfly Korbel/Adolescen would be fine, Stiga Offensive NCT/RosewoodV/EbenholzV, Donic Persson Powerplay senso, something like that.

And why are you telling him not to match equipment to his current game, since it sounds like he already has an established game, especially on the FH?

Anyway, I would suggest one of two things: change your rubbers or change your blade. A different blade could change the feel and speed altogether, while the rubbers could change feel, speed and spin. I would suggest only changing the blade if you dislike the feel and can't keep control on BOTH sides, whereas if you're happy with your FH (for both rubber/blade) change the rubbers only.

Of course, if you wanted a full switch of blades and rubbers I guess theres nothing really holding you back.

Which version of Express do you use? Express One (harder) or Express Two (softer)?

From your description, it sounds like you're comfortable with your forehand and want to improve your backhand. If you need a bit more control you could switch to something slightly slower than your current MarkV, such as the Mark V AD or GPS sponge (same thing, different name for regions). Sriver FX is also easy to learn on. On the other hand, have you tried flipping your bat over and using the Express? See how that feels; most likely it'll be a hell of a lot faster, but you might prefer a softer sponge or the feel of the express.

Anyway, just to throw something out there as a slower alternative, I suggest something along the lines of:
Butterfly Korbel, Stiga Offensive NCT or similar
Joola Express Two 2mm, Donic Coppa X2 2mm or similar
Butterfly Sriver FX 2.1, Mark V AD 2mm, Donic Coppa Tagora 2mm or similar

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 18:14 

Thankyou very much, I'll get to all the research when I get home.

I've sourced my sisters video camera, hopefully the quality will be okay.
I should be able to embed the video before the weekend.

And for the record I play TT on a Monday, so expect posts about the games Monday Night.

Cheers,
Duncan

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 18:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I have to agree with Silver. Much better to change one thing at a time and see the effect. Strad is not so fast that the right rubbers might bring it into the right feel for you. Have you been using the Strad for all 3 years of your playing? And unless the rubbers are worn out, some coaching tips to improve your techniques may even mean your setup is fine for you. Don't be too eager to change equipment as a means to improving your game, especially at your age. You can learn a lot still on top of what you have already learnt. A training camp like ttedge provides (see the coaching section's subforum - viewforum.php?f=59) might be something you could look at doing perhaps?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 19:02 

I've made my decision.

I'm not making any purchases until I get some feedback on the upcoming video.

Should be good, I really want to up my game and be the best.

Cheers,

Duncan.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 20:27 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Silver wrote:
Hangon, we've got an A grader here (albeit low A as he said) who has been playing for 3 years and won an Ares finals and you're telling him to go from a high off/low off+ speed blade all the way back to an allround blade?

I seriously think this is a bad idea. A terrible idea in fact. It will require a large adjustment of your shots and touch.

If you really want to do something like this, take a smaller step backwards like to a blade in the middle of off or low off, not back to all. And don't go from a stiff composite blade to a highly flexible blade. A Butterfly Korbel/Adolescen would be fine, Stiga Offensive NCT/RosewoodV/EbenholzV, Donic Persson Powerplay senso, something like that.

And why are you telling him not to match equipment to his current game, since it sounds like he already has an established game, especially on the FH?

Again, no disrespect to Duncan, but he is an A Grader in a country town whos description of his play would suggest beginner to intermediate level and no where near an established game. (I discussed this in the other thread). The length of time he has been playing doesn't necessarily mean a lot if he hasn't been coached, worked on his technique, and/or trained diligently. If I am right about his current level then finesses in equipment really don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. :) What is important is that his equipment doesn't impede his stroke development. Duncan is keen and if he works hard on his game there is a good chance he won't recognise himself in 12 or 18 months time.

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 10:04 

It is finally here:
Results from Game Day.

Overall feeling:
I was happy with my performance, however i'm even more happier because there are things
that I can work on and that you might be able to help me with.

So, I walk into the club's rooms where all the tables are set up. The Table Tennis Club here on known as (TTC)
shares it's rent and room with the Guide's which are the female version of scouts. Mum and I immediately start having
a hit, mum seemed a bit disinterested, I think she just wanted to get into it. We are in different grades, she's A - Res i'm A. Although in the shed at home she still beats me 80% of the time. Which is pretty irrelevant to what I'm talking about now.

After our pretty lack luster hit up session, I go over to check the draw and can remember being like. "GREAT, two players that I absolutely struggle against" A number two named Darren, who has consistently beaten me, I have never beaten him in my life and their number 1 named John, who I've never taken a set off. So I go to the tables where our team "Old Spice" will be playing the opposition team and I get there and after about 2 minutes there number 3, Ted an Old Journeymen asks to play the first game, to which I agree.
Ted is very deceptive, he's the type of player that if you go to sleep for just a bit he'll capitalise and come out with the W. The first set I was feeling pretty good, I managed to get out to a good start at 3-0 after a couple of serves and just some good rallies to which i forced some mistakes, however upon the first 3 points, Ted came back and came back well, The score came to 7-8 my serve, thinking of how terrible the last few points had gone I knew i had to dig deep and find a way to just keep him forcing the errors, so.. after a few good shots and a few of his shots that went a tad bit to high for me to lay down hurt. I managed the first set at 11-9. Well this must of stirred up a bit of fire in the 70+ year old man, as we the score got to 8 a piece, he managed to force it deep onto my backhand which forced 2 errors leaving it at 8-10 Ted's favour, I clawed back to 10-9 in what seemed the longest rally of my life and then lost the next point, which was anti climactic at best. Sets are 1 all.

Now i remember going into a state of extreme concentration thinking to myself "That i had never seen Ted hit the ball this well". So I cannot really remember the last two sets but, I won them 11-8. 11-9. Winning my game against ted the number 3. 3-1. However the scoreboard does not do it justice on how tight the actual game was, I mean some of the rallies were very long.

INTERMISSION:

Game Two against my Arch Nemesis Darren. Previously in our last few encounters Darren has either served me off the court or just out played me altogether. Darren I consider a good friend of mine has actually helped me alot into developing my game and never ceases to amaze with the amount of advice he's willing to give, even against his game. (Darren if you're reading this, you're an absolute top bloke). So we hit up and exchanging friendly talk we get into it. I win the toss and it's my serve. Well, I didnt get off to a very good start, because I missed an extremely easy smash, couldve been nerves, actually most definitely nerves. However after a grueling game with what I thought seemed to be a few near misses by Darren and I managed to win the first set 11-9 or 12-10 I cannot remember but it was extremely tight.
What seems like a recurring pattern, I think Darren woke up and absolutely demolished me, I mean he beat me soundly in the second set 11-5 or 11-4. The next two sets are where I stepped up the game a bit, after a few good rallies and some shots going in my favour i snagged the 3rd set 11-8 or 9 again. The 4th set also went much the same, every shot was intense and crucial in my eyes, because I had been in this position before, actually better. (You know when you're 2-0 up thinking this will be it, i'm going to win and then they come back and you're devastated after losing 2-0 up). Well I thought to myself that it wasnt going to happen, so I stuck to the game plan, and kept getting the ball back and keep getting his tricky serve back, to win the 4th 11-9. One of the best games i've every played tactically, I thought. Would love to hear darren's thoughts. Hopefully he joins the forum.

INTERMISSION:

3rd Game, was a complete waste of my time and my opponent John's. He was way to powerful, his backhand absolutely lethal with a forehand to match, the closest I managed to get was 7. However after the game John and Darren both gave me advice to beat him and other players like him, which I will take on board and talk about and hopefully obtain feedback.

All in all i completed my short term goals of winning 2 games and not losing to a number 3, which i was happy about.

Apparent Weaknesses:

Doubles play, I still feel pretty useless because i cant really smash, which is what i like to do, because of all the chopping and cutting and I havent developed a game where i can turn an opponents chop into an offensive advantageous position, ( to set up a better shot for my partner).

I'm having trouble reading spin and therefore the shots I'm meant to be playing off certain spin, such as chop, backspin, topspin and all that. I just need some clarification.

AGAINST JOHN- He played an extremely long game, hitting the near edge of the table, I've worked out that i've got to keep back from the table, but he kept pummeling my back hand, which i also need to work on. And any specific advice against long players would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou for your time. Our team lost 7-4. With our number 1 winning 2 games, myself won 2 games, our number 3 didnt win any, but theres reason for that. And we lost both doubles.

Cheers,
Duncan.

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 13:20 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Well done Duncan, sounds like your determination might have won you two games where other players may have thrown in the towel. Was looking forward to reading your post so keep it up.

I'd be interested as to how Darren and John told you to play against them and what kind of style they play.

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 13:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good effort DuncanMc! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 16:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Nice report there Duncan! A good win against Darren. I know how good it feels to beat someone who has always eluded you.

Its a little hard to give you advice not knowing your strokes and such, but I'll try. You say you have trouble playing the right shot against spin. Here is the biggest thing to ALWAYS remember against spin. PLAY A POSITIVE STROKE. By that I mean whatever you decide to do, don't hesitate and poke at the ball. Spin loves slow moving or still rubber. It will "ping" in its own direction every time.

If its chop and long enough, loop it heavily or chop it heavily. Chopping it is probably easier as long as you graze under the ball just right to send it low but dying once it passes the net. Often people find this easier on their BH. Looping it requires a lifting motion with the loop so that the underspin is wiped from the ball and your loop spin takes over and the ball still clears the net. If done correctly it should still drop before it reaches the other's table ending.

If its chop and short, at your stage of things, I would push it back with dig and lift in your shot. Be careful of it has some sidespin in with the chop as it can still go sideways. The more positive your dig into the ball though should overcome this, but if you have an idea which way the sidespin is, helps to push in the direction against it.

Topspin to you has its own set of challenges. Again a positive stroke will always help. Either loop it back meeting it with approximately equal force (or harder if you can manage). Getting the blade angle right on these is something that will come with time. Sometimes its better to block topspin though - especially if its heavy or very fast. Meet the ball with a closed bat angle with the bat moving slightly into the ball and directed back where you want the ball to go. You might find it best to aim middle table for now until you master it, and then good blocks can be deadly when you put it back fast where they are not. In the interim though, try to take power out of the ball with the block by not punching too hard.

Hopefully that gives you some clarification and fits with other advice you've had. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.