OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 20:46 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
So entitled as, like many, I am into a second stretch of competitive table tennis; having played competitively from age 12 to about 28; starting again at age 40 (3 years ago).

First up, whilst replies are welcomed (invited, even, nice to know you are being read by just the googlebots) I'd like to keep this blog free of the rules and ITTF type discussions that sometimes overheat and blight the forum. I won't mention them (again) if you don't; do we have a deal? Think of it as being a light conversation over a beer, let's have some fun.

Now, what I would like to record and chat about is a diary of my everyday training and competition; of equipment testing and thoughts; fitness work; plans and perhaps even nostalgia of table tennis memories gone by. In fact, I even have some nostalgia for later this post.

To position this first entry, we are out of league season here in the UK and I avoid Summer League competition so there is little to discuss in the way of matches, unless you count the pride-fuelled head-to-heads that inevitably happen at training nights (and are good at keeping you sharp). I’m sure I’ll write about some of those. Our Winter season recommences in September when I should be into routine of approximately 2 matches and 3 practices per week. Until then it is 3/4 practice sessions weekly.

I made a few decisions this summer. One decision was to rationalise my equipment hoard. Why on earth should anyone need 6 blades? So the target was set at 2 and by this time next week, courtesy of ebay, I should be there*. My T11 went to a rapidly improving youngster at the club, the Grubba ditto local and BT555, Primorac and Keyshot light will go online. Anyone still awake will notice that I started with 6 and am getting rid of 5, and 6 minus 5 does not equal 2. This is because I have bought yet another. I recently got a used Nittaku Violin on trial that I liked so decided to buy. I am currently alternating between this and the Acoustic to decide which to use as a main bat; they are quite different in many ways but, suprisingly, not too difficult to switch between. I also have come to think that if you buy good quality equipment you are liabe to persevere with is a it longer.

Now for a nostalgia snippet, the main dish of this opening post. I have for some while fancied a vintage blade. In the same way that I drove classic cars for many years - until having a family made it impractical - I wanted a bat to remind me of what were happy times (not that current times are not happy, I hasten to add). I’m soft like that. It’s not about collecting to make money. Some old bats seem to go for silly money though, so I just kept an eye out locally and on ebay until, yesterday, I won what looks like a very good condition Butterfly 'Kenny Style' blade (with the most incredibly perished Srivers on) for about £20. The handle even still has the stickers on, unlike most you see. I have fond memories of my coach using this model blade, with Tackiness rubbers, chopping balls off the floor with great consistency and mobility for an over-60. I hope I can do that when I reach that stage. As an aside my ex-coach is alive and well, about 85 now and retired to a nice part of the country. I hope my children have the pleasure of a role-model like Arthur. I will later devote a full post or more to my early training days at Fairbairn House in Canning Town, London.

Here’s the bat, which I haven’t got yet …..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
I’m not sure exactly what I’ll do with this – it certainly won’t be a match setup – I suspect I’ll make it a double inverted chopping bat for fun club use only. I hope the old rubbers come off without to much difficulty though.

The other bat I would love to own again is a Stiga Ehrlich, my first bat given to me at age 11 or so by a retired neighbour when he stopped competing. They seem to go for ridiculous prices though.

• so as you see, having set my target at 2 blades, I’m already up to 3. Grrrrrrr.

Anyways, enough for now......

185g

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 00:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Good on you for diving into a new blog so_devo. :clap: I am enjoying the little collection we have growing here. Every one is just a little bit different, which keeps the reading interesting. And don't worry, I well know how nice it is to have a few responses here and there to know people read and take in what you write. Gives a warm and fuzzy feeling. ;)

I think the Accoustic and Violin are a good pair of blades to own. Personally, I love my Gergely's. I hope they serve me for many years as long as the group we won't mention here don't make me change :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 08:57 
Stir Crazy

Welcome to the world of bloggers! And I'm more than happy to think of this as a light conversation over beer. (Are we allowed to discuss the relative merits of different beers?)

I'm also wondering how to rationalise my blade collection. My problem is that they are not the sort of blades that many other players are looking for. (Hmmm... Perhaps I should put something in the Buy & Sell section.) I also understand your fascination with older blades. I used to play with a Dunlop Barna and I'd love to have one of those again.

Looking forward to reading your next post.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 11:00 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Those early Stigas were beautiful blades and had great feel. You probably know this but the Stiga Ehrlich eventually morphed into the Butterfly Swedish Style. Sadly, (imo) I don't think the Butterflys from that era (including the Kenny) were in the same class as the Stigas as they were stiff and lifeless by comparison. Still, they would be fun to own from a collectors perspective.

Speaking of nostalgia...it's funny how times change. When I started out a 'set-up' was an easy put away. These days many players appear to have several 'set-ups' in their bat-case (although this appears to be less common with the higher end players). I don't understand the practice (I've been happily using the same blade for 15 years) but to each his own.

I look forward to reading about your early training days.

Last edited by carbonman on 12 Jul 2011, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 17:07 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Tassie52 wrote:
I also understand your fascination with older blades. I used to play with a Dunlop Barna and I'd love to have one of those again.

My old teammate about a year ago had a Dunlop Barna Tassie. He'd had it for about 30 years and there's no way you'd prize it away from him. It had the same age LP rubbers on it too, but I'd classify them as SP now :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 20:37 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Tassie; yes beer discussions are most definitely 'in scope'. In fact, I've just* had a lovely pint of 'Woodfordes Nog', ex-champion beer of Britain. I am a real Ale fan, especially dark ales and porters, and am probably a better drinker than TT player!

* regardless of the time I posted this, I started writing it in the evening!

On the subject of the Barna bats, I was watching one on ebay as I bought the Kenny. £50, in very good condition. Probably cheap, as a teammate just sold one for £129. Silly money in my book, and not appealing to me as it is a little before my time and therefore fails to tick my 'nostalgia' box.

I have a lot of topics lined up for use in this blog over time. Chapter headings if you like, which can be interspersed with current events to keep plenty of content going for a while. Today, I think I'll recount my earliest memories of TT, as well as the few TT events of this week which are too minor to justify a post of their own. Feel free to comment, or add yours. For this post I'll go up to age 11, the end of so-called 'Primary Education' here in England.

I grew up in the East End of London, England; Leyton to be more precise. Born 1968, 23 years after the end of the second World War. I do not have a clear memory of my earliest years, except that they were happy times.

In Leyton there was still some bomb damage in evidence from 'the Blitz'; a few places were even still actually pretty much bomb sites, and the housing was and remains a curious mix of new and old. We'd actually play on one of the bomb sites, although we weren't supposed to. A street parallel but two along from us had obviously been levelled and hadn't been rebuilt. Instead it had been converted into recreational space; at one end was a tarmac sports area, playground and craft hut. We played lots of football (soccer) there. There were then a few houses between, and then there was a park; the type with grass, playground equipment and, in this case, a prefab building that housed an informal youth club and had kid's play activities in it; painting, crafts, arts, drawing, a sloping pool/snooker table and - you know where this is heading I suspect - a foldaway table tennis table that sometimes also got used outside. Looking back the place was a bit of a wreck, but that doesn't tend to worry kids.

Back in those days we definitely had far less (materially) than we do now, but as children we would spend as many hours playing as we could. Give us a ball, an activity or a park and we could amuse ourselves for hours. So much energy!

Children were afforded a lot of freedom in those times. We'd be free to go from School to the park for an hour or two each day after School, and also for much of the weekend. There were lots of children, and made our own entertainment. I took to both the worn snooker table and the TT table and would play either at every opportunity. Later in life I have a real Snooker 'claim to fame', but we'll save that for another day.

I remember two other things around 1978. We had wonderful neighbours, mostly elderly. Many had lived in the road for years and years. There were about 120 houses in my street, and I knew who lived in all but ten or so. Very few people moved house from our road. There were organised coach trips to the seaside where virtually everyone in the street went.

The neighbours definitely looked out for us kids. One day an old man opposite gave me his old TT bat, as he was through with playing. He had played at work (london transport, a bus company), competitively. Now he must have been around 70, in poor health and retired.

This bat was the Stiga Ehrlich I have referred to before. It had two blue inverted Yasaka rubbers on it, and they had lost all grip and were very shiny. There was a bicycle puncture repair patch where the backhand finger rested, presumably as a hole had been worn over time. I loved that bat, and the vinyl stiga case it came in! Looking back it was effectively a slick, antispin bat; very retro now but at that time it was my bat, and a 'proper' bat at that!

At the same time my brother, 4 years my senior, had a 'Johnny Leach' bat; quite modern at the time with inverted rubber. Not an original. He played a little at School, but not seriously. We used to put some books up as a net on our dining room table and play for hours. Later we got a cheap net to put across. The table was small and attacking difficult, I think this may have been a formative factor for my cautious style!

On our annual holidays, we often went to the 'Sunshine Holiday Camp' at Hayling Island, near Portsmouth- a very 70's place looking back - but so much to entertain young kids; swimming, putting, snooker, table tennis, tennis, football, races, entertainers, films, cycles and I'm sure much that I have forgotten. I reckon mum and dad would have liked to go elsewhere once in a while but we nagged for a return each year. You can rest assured that I played a lot of TT there.

So at that stage I had plenty of opportunity to play, and took full advantage. Sadly casual youth activities like the club I mentioned seem to have mainly disappeared around here, probably a matter of cash combined with lots of child protection and health and safety compliance to deal with, but again that is another story.

I'd developed a 'style' that basically was built around consistency; self-taught aggressive pushing mixed with just keeping the rally going for longer than my opponent could; although I didn't really know anything about styles. We just played. I don't think the shiny rubbers would have supported any topspin strokes anyway. Serves were straight out of the hand bullets, we knew no better.

In 1979 I got my first competitive success! My school held a TT tournament and I entered. I don't recall much about the rounds but played a friend called Robert Harewood - another regular at the youth hut and terrific footballer - in the final with the entire School watching. It was a long game, a bit of a war of attrition, but I got there! I remember being quite nervous with several hundred children watching the game. I won a gold medal that I was incredibly proud of, and still have today, although some of the gold paint has flaked away. After School I ran around to see Joe Mills - the old man who had given me the bat - and show him the medal. He was so pleased that you would have thought he had won it himself!

So that was me up to age 11 as far as TT is concerned; lots of opportunity to play and maybe a little natural ability, but no formal tuition. That was to change drastically at secondary school, but we'll save that for another day.

I'll throw one question out there; when I did get proper coaching something that needed no change was my grip. I wonder whether this is because of that puncture repair patch that made my index finger gravitate to the correct place. Would this be a good thing to do for juniors routinely?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in the present day it is just Summer practice time. I have a couple of days at a coaching camp lined up, end of July and end of August; these are at BATTS in Harlow and headed by Gareth Herbert, a Commonwealth Games gold medalist and ex-England #2. I have done these before and my game always seems to take a jump forward afterwards. These will make good blog content.

General summer practice is going well too. My main club has moved to a new venue with more tables, and better players are attending practices. Some venues seem to be suffering from heat and humidity though; More 'wet balls' than I can ever recall, although it doesn't really matter I suppose.

I do think we play far too many matches in practice though; I think it is used as a fair way to allocate table time, as there are generally more players than table spaces. Not so good when you want to work on specific aspects of your game.

I have been using my 'new' Nittaku Violin and managed to take a first chunk out of the leading edge......I do this with all blades; I guess I'm just very aggressive in the short game. It lifted a small piece of veneer too. It repaired nicely, almost invisibly, but I think I'm going to try some padded edge tapes. If I cut the rubbers oversize I always catch the table and lift them, so that's not an option.

Enough ramblings for now folks.....I suspect next time I write 'project Kenny Style' will have arrived. I am thinking of making it into a fun, chopping setup........possibly with a spongey LP.....as the ST handle should be good for messing around twiddling.

185g

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 09:35 
Blockhead
Blockhead

A break from my TT history today to talk a little about "Project Kenny", and to get an opinion on what to dress him in.

My impulsive ebay purchase of a Butterfly "Kenny Style" arrived this week, covered in the most perished rubbers - 2 red Srivers - that I had ever seen. A quick chat with the seller uncovers that it was purchased new in 1977, used for 2 seasons and has been in his parent's loft since approximately 1979/80. This hiatus means that most of the stickers and paint remain very good. I was quite nervous about being able to get the rubbers off without damaging the blade but with use -lots of use - of a rubber remover spray (Acetone based?) I got there without a single splinter.

The blade really is in very good condition - I am delighted. There were a couple of little high spots at the edges to sand back, a small piece of veneer to glue down and a single ding to fill; Now sorted using Hookshot's suggestion of sawdust mixed with woodglue - it works well.

It is not uncommon for me to have to patch up my blades; I play in quite a committed way close to the table, it is inevitable. Usually I am quite quick in doing repairs, but I have felt a strange sense of responsibility with this bat as it is so old.

Anyway, my question; This will not be a match bat. What I'd like is to cheaply - very cheaply - put rubbers on this bat to play a dropping away from the table chopping style, maybe occasionally doing a little offensive work on f/h. I have a sheet of black Palio CJ8000 bio jap 2.2 36-38 that should fit the forehand role.

I have nothing suitable for backhand, so will need to buy. I'm thinking either a spongey, slow LP - Meteor 8512 def in 1.2 maybe - or a mid thickness inverted; maybe 729fx in 1.8 or 1.5, or Gambler Reflectoid. I am used to spongey rubbers, even used to full time chop with 2.0.

Any other [v.cheap] suggestions, as I'm not really sure what to put on b/h? It is just a fun bat. The original that inspired my purchase had Tackiness D and C on it, but I won't be paying Butterfly prices.

185g

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 09:58 
Stir Crazy

so_devo wrote:
My impulsive ebay purchase of a Butterfly "Kenny Style" arrived this week, covered in the most perished rubbers - 2 red Srivers - that I had ever seen. A quick chat with the seller uncovers that it was purchased new in 1977, used for 2 seasons and has been in his parent's loft since approximately 1979/80. This hiatus means that most of the stickers and paint remain very good.

I was intrigued by the "Kenny Style" part of your story so did a google search for images. I came up with this:

Is this the one? Or did they come in other colours? I picked it up from a thread on Denis' Table Tennis World. The poster doesn't give any indication of the age of the blade of the bat, but his also had two Srivers. Fascinating to see a Butterfly logo which is not today's Butterfly logo.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 11:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thats the same blade as was on the ebay pics Tassie, but the rubber there looks way too good compared to the ebay pic. :lol:

So_Devo I've not tried it yet, although I have it in hand now, but Giant Dragon Talon is supposed to be a good chopping rubber with easy control and not too expensive. It may be another alternative to consider. ;)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 13:23 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

so_devo wrote:
Any other [v.cheap] suggestions, as I'm not really sure what to put on b/h? It is just a fun bat. The original that inspired my purchase had Tackiness D and C on it, but I won't be paying Butterfly prices.

I had a hit with Red Diamond once. Very tacky, pretty deadish sponge, and very cheap. Not totally dissimilar to Tackiness Chop (except for the price). Should be ok for chopping away from the table. Worth a try.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2011, 14:17 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Red Diamond is twice as hard and 50 times faster than tackiness chop, other than that they maybe similar :) lol. There are good Chinese chopping rubbers like reflectoid and friends but you may as well just buy the real thing. As my father told me last week (he hasn't played since the 1980s but was a very good player then). Tackiness chop "that's the stuff". He used tacky chop 1.5 on BH and tacky drive 1.5 on FH on a surbek

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2011, 16:48 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

foam wrote:
Red Diamond is twice as hard and 50 times faster than tackiness chop, other than that they maybe similar :) lol.

Not the piece I tried! :) It was one of the deadest rubbers I have used. But in saying this Chinese rubbers do have quality control issues so maybe I tried a dud.

Post subject: Butterfly keyshot light
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2011, 16:55 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Tassie., yes that is the blade. Looks in remarkable condition, too good to play with. I only ever saw them with black painted handles, which were always straight. It is a remarkably comfortable handle. They were a little outdated even in the early eighties: which of course doesnt make them bad blades, just that the marketing men had got up into new ones. I have ordered its rubbers now. In red a meteor 8512 def with 1.2 sponge and also a 729fx with 1.5 sponge. On fore hand a black 729fx or the cj8000 i already have. So a choice of what to use. Tackiness would have been first choice but too expensive for a bat that will only get occasional play.

185g

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2011, 18:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I used that same Kenny blade about 20 years ago! I still have some lying around somewhere... I must dig them up to see what they're like...

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 21:35 
Blockhead
Blockhead

The Second instalment of my TT history......

And so to Secondary School; although not that far from my home it was a different School to that most of my friends moved to, us just being the other side of a 'catchment area' boundary line. This was not a problem though, I recall making friends very quickly.

There wasn't a lot of TT at this stage, but we would play lots of football (soccer), go cycling, golf, swimming and, most of all for me at this stage, athletics. I had joined a local athletics club several years before and trained there several evenings a week doing road and cross-country running. Athletics, like TT, has played a big part of my life.

Given all the activity it is no wonder we were fit; I was reminiscing with an old friend on Facebook the other day, recounting the 80 mile return day cycle trip to the coast we did at age 13. And what did we do when we got there? Play soccer......I still remember getting home that day, falling into the bath and mum bringing a cup of hot chocolate; bliss! I firmly believe that young adults need this sense of adventure and maybe we over protect our kids a little.

I must mention a friend, Ian Watts, that I met at this new School. We got on brilliantly from the start, but unfortunately Ian was very ill with leukaemia. He died mid way through my time at that School, but we had some great times before then, cycling, golfing and being mischevious. We always knew - the teachers had made us all aware - that Ian's prognosis was poor. Later in life I ran several marathons for the Leukaemia research fund, and am convinced that this early exposure to loss has given me a real sense of perspective about what is important.

The was always a long PE (phys ed) lesson every week, and at the start of our schooling the given sport for that week was prescribed; I think the object was to give us a taste of a lot of different activities; I recall soccer, rugby, running, weights, volleyball, basketball, swimming, trampolining and more. However, in our second or third year - I'm a bit fuzzy on dates - there was an opportunity to choose options. One of those options was table tennis, and I chose it immediately.

Very near to my School there is a venue that was known variously as 'Leyton County Ground', 'The County ground' or 'Leyton Youth'. The 'County' connection was that Essex used to play cricket there. Within the substantial grounds there was a running track, long/high jump pits, nets, cricket pitch and stands, a youth club, a sports centre, weights annexe, pavillion, cafe and ...... A purpose built table tennis hut. I can't recall the exact size but think it had between 6 and 8 tables. I don't think kids really notice the condition of venues, but this one struck me as decent.

I later learned that Waltham Forest - our local council - had funded a coach to engage its Schools. This funding did not last much beyond my time, but for me I had found a way in to coaching and a first step towards competition.

The coach's name was (and still is!) Arthur Thomas. In working terms he was not a young man anymore, being in his early sixties. When you are 13 it is very hard to imagine that anyone of 'that' age could be athletic; this illusion was to be dispelled with interest at a later stage.

I had a recent conversation with Arthur. He said that he was happy to coach up to 6 to a table, and up to 6/8 tables. I can believe that fully; he had a type of kind discipline that most children would respond positively toward; i.e not outwardly authoritarian but on the other hand do not disrupt the session. "If you don't want to be here, just leave!"

I remember the early sessions comprised of scored games, 'round the table' type fun, targets and a little bit of coaching.

I can remember being shown how to return spin services with Arthur first sending down a rather tame tomohawk serve, putting his bat down and going to the side of the table to catch the wayward return, cricket style. He'd then do the reverse tomohawk, go to the other side of the table and catch the ball there. There would then be a tutorial about what the spin was doing and what to do to counteract it, and lo and behold most of us (me included) could return basic spin serves. This was probably 1982.

A big difference I observe these days is in what I term 'the building blocks'. IIRC we learnt strokes in this order (excludes serves);

BH push
FH push
BH roll
FH roll
BH chop
FH chop
FH drive
BH block
FH block
BH drive
FH loop

There was no real tutorage of a backhand loop at that stage, and I never saw Arthur play one. These days it seems to me that the first thing taught is to counterdrive; a sign of the times or was our coaching based on the coach's defensive style?

Arthur coached in more than just Schools; he also coached at several clubs and had his own little 'feeder system'; a Saturday morning session at Woodgrange Church, Forest Gate and also at a very strong sports club, Fairbairn House (Canning Town). Those who showed promise in the School sessions might get an invite to Woodgrange, and the top Woodgrange players an invite to Fairbairn. In the late 70's Fairbairn had #1 senior UK man and #1 junior UK boy at the same time. Top players of that era - such as Chester Barnes, Stuart Gibbs - would all be familiar with Fairbairn (and Arthur).

Sure enough I got a Woodgrange invite, probably still in 1982. And also an instruction; The shiny Yasaka rubbers on my old Stiga Ehrlich had to go. I was told to go to to Ken Levin's house in Wanstead. He ran a mail order Table Tennis business, KDL sports, from home. That visit to 'Aladin's Cave' in itself is worth a forum post, so that's a logical break point for now.

185g