OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Jackson's Blog
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 21:19 

Hi All,

I was asked to write an article for my club newsletter about the week I spent in Adelaide at the Australian Athletes With Disabilities (AWD) Table Tennis Championships, so I thought I’d it would be a good opportunity to use it to kick-start a blog here too:

From the 9th to the 15th of July I was in Adelaide for the Australian Athletes With Disabilities (AWD) Championships.

I stayed with Dave Delpratt, international umpire; Kate Juillerat and Ashley Parrott from Bundaberg Table Tennis Club; and John Juillerat, Kate’s father.

The tournament was held at Woodville Table Tennis Club, and we were staying at a house only about 5 minutes drive from the club, which meant we were the first ones there most mornings and had plenty of time for a good warm-up before each day’s play.

Adelaide was cold, but not as cold as I thought. The house we were staying in seemed to stay pretty warm. Some spectators commented about how cold the playing venue was. I guess I didn’t feel it as much as I was constantly playing matches and having warm-up hits.

After arriving on Saturday, the first experience for me was being classified. Athletes playing the tournament must be put into one of 10 classes based on their abilities. Classes 1-5 are for wheelchair athletes and classes 6-10 for standing, with 5 and 10 respectively being the least restricted whilst playing. I’d been provisionally classified a 9 before leaving QLD, so was expecting either that or an 8 in the more thorough tests. I have cerebral palsy, which affects my entire right side so Class 10 was out of the question for me as it is typically for athletes who have only one limb affected. After some discussion, the classifiers decided on a 9. As I played through the tournament, I was more convinced that it was the right decision, after playing numerous class 8s and experiencing their range of movement.

The first day of play, Monday, was the team’s event. I played in a Presidents team with Connor Johnstone, a Class 8 from WA. I was pretty excited to see that we would be playing the Victorian team of Sarah Lazarro and Melissa Tapper during the event, seeing as though they have both played at international tournaments this year, with Melissa doing especially well picking up three gold medals and quickly rising to number 2 in the world in Class 10. Unfortunately though, Sarah was sick with the flu, so they had to withdraw.

It would have been great to play against them, just to see how much extra training I’d need to get to their level. Maybe next year. Melissa and the rest of the Paralympic Preparation squad were heading to China for another tournament on the following Tuesday.

Despite missing the best team, we still had some very tough players to play starting with the other Victorian team of Barak Mizrachi and Nathan Pelissier. Nathan was the first match I played and managed to take a set despite being really nervous. I lost in straight sets to Barak but was starting to play better toward the end of the game.

The next team we played was another Presidents team of Michael Tomlinson and James Swanbury. I managed to pick up my first win against James, in the fifth set no less! I was really wanting to do well against Michael too, seeing as he was in Class 9 also, but he had a very agressive and unorthodox game, often putting a lot of sidespin on his shots, and I lost in straight sets.

Our final teams match for the day was against a team from South Australia. I picked up wins against both players and we won our first match as a team with Connor picking up his first win of the day. We were the last ones to leave the hall that day, but we were pretty happy.

Tuesday morning was pretty quiet for me as I waited for the rest of the teams matches to finish, before starting the doubles in mid-afternoon. My partner was Phillip Hurst, a Class 7 player from NSW. We managed to get through the group stage, and were getting ready for the quarter-final when we were surprised to learn that we were starting the singles event. Most players, including me, were not expecting to start the singles till the next day, so it was a challenge to get mentally ready quickly.

I was in Class 8-9 singles and had a 4-person group including Michael and James, and with the top two progressing to the next stage. I lost again to Michael in straight sets, but was still feeling pretty good about making it through. My match against James was next, and although I felt I wasn’t playing badly, I lost in straight sets and it meant I was out. I was really disappointed considering I’d beaten him the day before and thought that was the only singles event I’d play.

Wednesday came with a pleasant surprise however. After our doubles campaign ended in the quarter final, we learned that there would be another singles event. Apparently yesterday’s event was supposed to allow male and female athletes to compete against each other, which seemed a bit odd because there were no female entrants in our category anyway. We looked at the draw and it was almost identical to the last event, so the question was whether to let the results stand. After some discussion, we took a vote and decided to play it anyway. I really didn’t care if the results did stand, I was just happy to get more matches.

So the group was identical, except for having one extra player this time. Michael was once again my first match, and I lost again though this time I managed to win a set. I finished the match feeling much better about getting through this time though.

Once again though, that feeling didn’t last long. In the next match I lost in the 5th set to the extra player in the group, which felt awful because I’d beaten him fairly easily in the teams event. I really thought I was out after that. It affected me so much I almost lost the next match as well, just winning the 5th set against another player I’d beaten in the teams event.

I knew I had to recover quickly as the game against James was next, and I played what was probably my best game of the week, winning 3-1. It felt good to redeem myself after my loss to him the day before, even though I knew I’d probably been eliminated again. However, after the game, I learned that I’d made it through the group on countback! Turns out that I had to beat James in 4 sets or less in the last match to make it. Dave, who was my coach for the week, said he knew during the game but deliberately did not tell me so I wouldn’t feel the pressure. Good call Dave! I only just scraped through anyway, 13-11 in the 4th and probably wouldn’t have made it if I’d had the added pressure.

So the semi-final was next for me. I played Barak for the second time and was beaten again in straight sets, though I was happy with my play, and we had some long rallies.

So I was guaranteed a bronze medal for being a losing semi-finalist, but I played off against Michael again anyway. It was straight sets again but I got close in the 1st, losing 12-10. I came away this and my other losses with lots of notes on what to improve before next year. I also had good chats with Roger Massie and Alois Rosario, the head coaches for the Paralympic Preparation Program, and hopefully I can go to one of their training camps later this year.

Thursday was a relaxing day as I watched the finals of the respective classes, then was presented with my bronze medal at the awards ceremony, then finished with lunch. We arrived back at the house early afternoon and had a fairly early night, seeing as though our flight back to Queensland was at 6am the next morning!

A lot of the South Australian and Victorian players were saying how great it would be if the event was on the Gold Coast next year. That would certainly suit me! Fingers crossed we can get it done guys!

All in all I had a great time and can’t wait until next year. Hopefully I’ll be bringing home medals of a different colour next time!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Butterfly keyshot light
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 03:07 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
That is a great report jackson, thanks for posting. A great reminder that we have a sport for all. I look forward to your future installments. By the way, are replies ok on your blog?

185g

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 06:48 

so_devo wrote:
That is a great report jackson, thanks for posting. A great reminder that we have a sport for all. I look forward to your future installments. By the way, are replies ok on your blog?

Thanks Devo. Glad you liked it. I was super impressed by play.
Replies are of course welcome.

Jackson

Post subject: Re: Jackson's Blog
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 07:34 
More Block Than Bite

Hey Jackson, nice blog so far. Enjoyed reading of your experience at the AWD TT Championships. Seems like you played pretty good (no one wins every match). I Look forward to your future posts as well :) .

Donic Defplay Senso | Yasaka Mark V 2.0 | SL Dornenglanz OX

Donic Defplay Senso | Butterfly Sriver | Testing

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 07:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, great start to a blog jacksonm! :clap:

I had no ideas that event was on here... it's only 20mins from where I live, and I would have popped in!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 08:55 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Very interesting report JM. I didn't realise Melissa Tapper was impaired at all. How bad does an impairment need to be to qualify for Class 10? Maybe I'd qualify with a missing PCL and arthritis in the knee. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 03:33 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

You sound like Melissa herself, refusing to admit there's anything not normal :). Truth is she's got a wasted free arm. I'm not sure she has any movement in it at all other than from the shoulder. It must be quite difficult to serve with an arm that wont move. Only her personal pride stopped her competing in these events years ago, for a high level player the free arm is very important to your overall game for balance and power so she's done very well playing like that with all the fully able bodied players. You can imagine how hard that makes all the gym work required to make an able bodied Olympic team, it would be very very difficult with only one arm.

I've got my money on her making both Olympic teams sooner or later and likely winning a world championship along the way, she's a very talented player

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Very interesting report JM. I didn't realise Melissa Tapper was impaired at all. How bad does an impairment need to be to qualify for Class 10? Maybe I'd qualify with a missing PCL and arthritis in the knee. ;)

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 14:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks for the info Foam. I've never met or seen Melissa play. I only know her by reputation, and its a very good one. To know the players she mixes it with, is to know how good she must be. But to now know what her impairment is, is to be dumbfounded that she could reach such heights.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 22:26 

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I'm usually at the club most weeknights so didn't have time to reply sooner.

Dawg15 wrote:
Hey Jackson, nice blog so far. Enjoyed reading of your experience at the AWD TT Championships. Seems like you played pretty good (no one wins every match). I Look forward to your future posts as well :) .

Thanks Dawg. I was pretty happy with my play overall. Just a little disappointed in losing to players I'd beaten earlier on. I guess that physical and mental consistency will come with more practice. The saying "Do it once, you're lucky. Do it twice, you're good." comes to mind. At least it gives me something to strive for next time around.

haggisv wrote:
Wow, great start to a blog jacksonm! :clap:

I had no ideas that event was on here... it's only 20mins from where I live, and I would have popped in!

Thanks haggis. I did think about you and the rest of the forum whilst I was there, but not being a regular contributor I wasn't sure how interested anyone would be.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

LOL it could be worth a shot for you. As foam mentioned, Melissa's free arm only is affected. As I recall from interviewing her (shameless plug), she was born with nerve damage in her shoulder.

foam wrote:
You sound like Melissa herself, refusing to admit there's anything not normal :). Truth is she's got a wasted free arm. I'm not sure she has any movement in it at all other than from the shoulder. It must be quite difficult to serve with an arm that wont move. Only her personal pride stopped her competing in these events years ago, for a high level player the free arm is very important to your overall game for balance and power so she's done very well playing like that with all the fully able bodied players. You can imagine how hard that makes all the gym work required to make an able bodied Olympic team, it would be very very difficult with only one arm.

I've got my money on her making both Olympic teams sooner or later and likely winning a world championship along the way, she's a very talented player

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

You raise some good points foam. As well as Melissa, Barak Mizrachi has only recently joined the AWD circuit after representing Victoria as a junior. I know from experience the pride thing is a factor. In TT and in other areas of my life I often ignore the existence of my disability. I know I'm lucky to be as mildly affected as I am, but sometimes being so close to normal can be a curse rather than a blessing, and it's still quite difficult to talk about to anyone but my closest circle. The experience at the tournament has taught me to loosen up a little bit though.

Thanks all and I hope to write again soon.

Jackson

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 23:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Its funny that you should mention Barak, Jackson. I'd never heard of the guy before, but a friend of mine gave me some vids of him playing some matches very recently. One of them was him playing Barak at Uni games in 2009. He didn't say anything about him having an impairment. I'd post the vid if it was small enough, but photobucket won't load it.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 10:30 

Hi again all,

Hope to make a few more posts here as I have a bit more free time over Christmas. For starters, here's a video that was (finally?) uploaded recently that was filmed during the tournament in Adelaide. I'm in it for about 2 seconds at 1:53. Thankfully it shows one of the few points I won against Mick :-D

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 10:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That's a great clip! Do you know who filmed it? They did a great editing job :up:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 11:05 

Hi Haggis,

Yes it is a very nice clip. No I'm not sure who edited it. If you're interested, the video appears to have been uploaded by the Australian Paralympic Committee themselves, so I'm sure you could find out by contacting them through their website directly.

Jackson

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 12:49 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Great vid Jackson....Melissa is such a cutie! ;)

You got a mop of hair there lol.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 21:37 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Great vid Jackson....Melissa is such a cutie! ;)

You got a mop of hair there lol.

Haha that's exactly what Roger Massie said about my hair whilst trying to put the medal over my head. It's probably the longest it's been in my life. I let it grow for about a month more after getting back, then took it all off, to the delight of some people and the dismay of others :D

OK next up is my results from my latest season of fixtures. I was very happy with the 2nd half of my season. Feel like I made some good mental and tactical progress including keeping a notebook for different strategies against specific opponents and it started to show results. There were only two people who beat me twice this season. I choose to see that as a testament to my growing ability to learn and adapt my strategy against different players.

Typically the top 3 players at the end of a season get promoted. However this often gets convoluted by fluctuating numbers wanting to play each season, and some politics. None of the players above me can/want to go up for various reasons (Division 2 is played on a different weeknight). I think I have a strong case for promotion considering I've had the best 2nd half out of anyone but it still looks like at least one more season in Division 3 for me. Im trying not to let myself get caught up in things I can't control and just focus on picking up where I left off next season and hopefully finishing 1st comprehensively so no-one will have an excuse not to promote me. ;)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!