OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 16:41 

Well I have introduced myself in another thread, and now let's start with a little bit of history.. It's ok Haggis, you are safe for now, I haven't started the 'All about Haggis thread yet'...

I started playing the game while I was studying computers at about 19.. They had a table there and I remember buying a Tackiness Drive as my first rubbers. I remember a friend telling me that either you had the skill in table-tennis or you didn't. I disagreed while he was beating me, but after a few months i was creaming him.

After a few years of constant improvement I had a chance encounter with a friend i made but lost contact with for a few years. Only to find out that we both played table tennis (Haggis).. From there we kept in close contact and eventually both received some coaching by the same coach. We played for a while until we got up to A grade level and occasionally a stint in Super-League reserves, and then I decide to retire.

I stopped playing for about 10 years and only started again a year ago. Straight back in A grade (over 35s) and currently sitting on 16-3. I have set a few goals for myself over the next 12 months.

1) Improve Return of Serves.
2) Think harder about what the opposition likes (and doesn't like).
3) Develop some new serves from new positions.

4) Aim for a state ranking in over 40's and try to make veterans teams.

Will keep you updated. I have a couple of videos that I will upload from State League competition a couple of months ago.. Have footage of our last game in a best of 5 match..

More to come....

Spare 2 - Tamca Gergely - Focus III 755-2

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 17:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great idea to start a blog...it's a good way of keeping track of your own progress and aims.

You haven't said anything about the pips yet 8) ;)

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 21:32 

Ahh yes, the pips. I have practised in the past with pimples. I find a good way to understand a rubber if you are going to play against, is to actually use it yourself. I have used anti-spin , short pimple and long pimple. One of my tasks above is to improve my return of serve, so I have decided to put some 755-2 on my spare bat and have some fun with that. There are people around that have a couple of serves, or even a game style that I haven't figured out yet, so I think it's time to chuck them a curve-ball.

I am filling in for Premier League again this Tuesday night, another chance to attempt my first win. Sounds like an opportunity here, I do have issues with some of the serves here and am pretty confident that the rest of my game can do some damage. Will see how it goes on Tuesday night.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 21:58 

To set the scene. Both of the opposition are quite good combination bat players. We are a little careful after coming back from 2-1 down. This is the 5th set and we're just getting our bearings. I have the Shorts with the yellow strip down the side. Some of my favourite shots here, pity you can't see the backhand at 5-8 too well.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 22:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Quite a few of your trade-mark backhands there! :rock:

The scary thing with guyschul's backhand is that he seems to be able to do it no matter what rubber he uses... even with long pips OX! :(

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 23:04 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Yes, some excellent backhands! It would be good to see a singles match also.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 23:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Nice vid. ;) Does playing on carpet there play slower than playing on other surfaces like a wooden floor?

Guy hits his BH so much like I hit mine in doubles when I get an underspin ball I thought he had LP on :lol:

Glad you took up my suggestion to do a blog Guy...even if you didn't adopt the title I suggested :lol:

You should have made the title and posted same content...just so I could imagine the expression on Haggisv's face! :rofl: :rofl:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 01:38 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Guy, U are so right.n Using a "Scout" bat is a good way to learn firsthand and HAVE FUN to boot. Hehe.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 11:56 

Thanks for the comments. The carpet is a bit of a pain to play on, the ball does come on a slightly different bounce. I am quite pleased with the backhand, it is my strongest shot and one that I can rely on if I need it. Playing with various speed rubbers and being able to keep the same backhand is quite effective, pips should be good fun in the occasional match :)

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 10:11 

As a person who doesn't mind stirring the pot.. my spare bat has undergone a change and now has :devil: pips on one side (the other remains 729-Focus III). I have chosen 755-2 with .8 mm sponge. I feel I have enough control and versatility in my game to cause a few headaches. Keep an eye out and I'll post some videos over the next few weeks of practise matches with both bats.

I will aim at getting a few good angles of some attacking backhands (for me is there another sort) with both pimples and inverted. Would be a good exercise for comparison.. Watch this space.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 10:40 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I really don't think it is a good idea to be switching from pips to inverted and back again. It can't be good for honing your touch and technique for a higher level. Of course there are no doubt some bunnies that might have trouble against medium-pips but I think you should be aiming higher than that. IMO it's best to choose pips or inverted and then stick with it.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 23:06 

understood carbonman. After the games I played tonight, it might stay as an emergency backup bat. I was able to beat my doubles partner from the video, and another top rated player.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 23:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I think that while changing from a pip combo bat to dual inverted does take a little adjustment time, its not too difficult, especially if you primarily use one or other most the time. This is easier than coming to terms with twiddling a combo bat and playing inverted on BH and the back to pips. I have one dual-inverted setup and while I don't use it very often, when I think to I like to muck around with it now and then. The thing I find greatest about using pips on my BH, as far as a dual-inverted setup goes, it that the pips have forced me (in terms of drives with them) to play a better stroke than I ever used to when I played dual inverted. So when I do adjust with the inverted setup to the power on my BH, I can rip shots that I couldn't do as well in my youth! ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2011, 22:05 

Back again and I thought I'd work on something new. I always used to serve from the backhand corner to try for a loose return and a third ball attack. I finally realised that i was cutting out so much opportunity, and a few steps to the right i have picked up a totally new angle that the opposition must get used to. In the following clip the first serve sets up my backhand beautifully, and sets the tone of the game. These shots were coming off so crisp, volume up and you'll appreciate the sound.

BTW - next time I'll get in closer and show of the great OOAK T-Shirt :)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2011, 23:41 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

You have an excellent BH but nevertheless you shouldn't stand in the centre of the table as it leaves a huge hole down your BH side. Try standing more in the centre of your BH side. It would be interesting to see a clip of you playing a strong attacker.