OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 09:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Retriever wrote:
Oh noes, the facial recognition pixies will get me, not to mention the de-anonymisers.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 11:20 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
haggisv and PRW must be my biggest fans. Only fans? :)

Still no word on the Bennelong Cup supposedly happening the weekend after next.

Played our last regular pennant comp match last night. We started off in 5th place by 1 rubber, and were playing the 4th place team.

JC played their best player JH and lost in 4, while I played SM from last season and won in 4. Again I didn't let him be comfortable playing his forehand loops, and large parts of the match were me pushing / chopping with added sidespin to his backhand and him pushing me all over the table.

JC & I played doubles v JH & AC and lost in 3, getting to deuce in the 2nd game and losing to 9 in the 3rd.

MD then played AC and won in 4, while I played JH. The 1st game he went for everything on his forehand for the loop, and my block and sidespin pushing / chopping was on form so it it was mine to 4. The 2nd game he totally changed tactics, a tribute to how things went in the 1st. He lollypopped the ball back, daring me to attack and figuring that his counter attack would be better. On the whole I was content to just push / chop with sidespin his lollypops. A few I tried to attack. His game 9-11. I then resolved to only attack very very obvious balls that I could chop smash or put right away. 3rd game to me 16-14. Lather, rinse repeat for the 4th 13-11. I am not sure how pretty it was to watch, but I was very pleased to have won.

MD & I combined in the next doubles quite well to win it in 4 - after losing the first 15-17.

At this stage we wer up 4-2 and looking good for the win.

JC then played AC and lost in 4, while MD went down horribly to SM 0-3 (-9, -3, -4). MD has just gotten new rubber, but I think there was more to his lack of form than that, given how well he had played the preceding doubles.

Now it was 4-4 in the rubber score and everything rested on the final doubles.

JC & MD played AC & SM. Fortunately for the captain (me) they won it 3 straight (9, 9, 1).

So it was a narrow win for us 5-4 in rubbers and 17-16 in games.

Now for the interesting part. I mentioned before we were 1 rubber behind our opponents going into the match - they were 4th and we were 5th. This result meant that we were equal 4th. Going back to ratio of games won out of total games we are ahead 51.87% to 50.28%. However, it may be possible for the teams coming 6th & 7th to leapfrog both of us as they both appear to have a game in hand. So we will see what we will see. The best we can come is 4th and the worst is 6th, according to the current competition table on district web site anyway.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 02:10 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Your blog is always fun to read, Retriever!

I'm always amazed at how you remember scores in games, who won, individual points - I get home and can't even remember how many matches I played!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 07:19 

PRW wrote:
Quote:
I'm always amazed at how you remember scores in games, who won, individual points - I get home and can't even remember how many matches I played!

Small secret: I am the captain of our team and usually retain the score sheet from the pennant match. In this particular case I was reading from the score sheet. Unaided I can usually remember games won and how many matches, and sometimes even which day it is.

We are in the finals in 4th. We play the team that came 3rd. The winner plays the loser of 1st & 2nd. The loser plays the winner of 5th & 6th. The winners of those 2 matches then play and the winner of that plays the winner of 1st and 2nd in the final.

Went to the PCYC for the last Friday help out - Similarly L1C won't be coming on Sunday afternoons. Played L1C a few games and he didn't get very close in any of them.

Saturday afternoon at the community centre had a very good attendance, 2 from the PCYC the previous night, and an enquiry that should bear fruit next Saturday.

Sunday afternoon at the PCYC was very quiet. For whatever reason the PCYC leaves tables out for free in the foyer area while the paid tt session is on. It is a very hard decision for the punter - pay $8 to play in a room with better balls and someone who knows what they are doing or $0 in the foyer with el cheapo balls. I woke up when one of the players from the club came along to see how things were and join the PCYC itself. Back to sleep and then a Saturday afternoon regular came along and we hit till the end of the session. Discussion with the PCYC management revealed that they are getting a pool table and air hockey to join with the foosball table they already have in the foyer and that perhaps tt tables won't be there for free "soon".

I won't be playing at the club tonight as I will be accompanying my daughter to a HSC info night. I will try to drop in to firm up the team for the semi match which will probably be on Friday at the opponent's venue.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 11:07 

<non TT interlude from real life (tm)>

Yesterday I had the pleasure of turning up to court for my eldest to be given a "real" AVO protecting us, converted from an interim one. Fortunately no dramas.

</non TT interlude from real life (tm)>

TT angle: he did represent the state in U/13 years ago.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 11:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Retriever wrote:
haggisv and PRW must be my biggest fans. Only fans? :)

Biggest fans for sure! :rock: :rock: :rock:

I also just enjoy reading your stories...perhaps it's the way you write and makes it entertaining and engaging.... some people have it, some (like me :oops: ) don't. :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 11:56 

Last Thursday night was the district committee meeting where pertinent table tennis matters were discussed.

Then over the weekend we had an email poll about the result of a Div 2 semi final where competition by-laws were breached, however both captains were happy to abide by the committee decision fortunately.

Last Friday we played the first in the extended semi final series, away.
First up I played MS, Tenergy on forehand, long pimples on backhand, although with a somewhat weird forehand stroke at times. I managed to beat him either 3-1. I was able to make him hit into the net on his long pimples and otherwise out spun him.

Meanwhile JC beat LY 3-0.

Then JC & I played doubles and lost fairly badly 0-3.

Next up I lost to LY 1-3. He was just too good like last time, while AF lost 2-3 to GM.

Then AF and I won the next doubles 3-1.

JC & AF both lost their last singles and we had lost the night 3-5. We played the final double anyway and won that 3-0.

Saturday at the community centre there was a very keen new player who I had spoken to on the Friday during work hours and who had become a member at the PCYC and tried to go to the Friday night session there which had been cancelled unbeknownst to me in favour of an all-ages gig. Anyway he was very keen.

Sunday afternoon at the PCYC and again they have free table in the foyer while I have nothing. The keen player turned up, also another one, so there is some trade at last.

Monday night at the club, I played AF first up and beat him 3-1, then L1C from PCYC and beat him 3-0. I then take pity on a new guy and explain and demonstrate the wonders of spin etc.

We play the next in our extended semifinals against the winner of 5th and 6th at our home venue and night next Thursday, as we lost the 3rd v 4th match last week. It's now sudden death. I have the key to open up our venue then.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 08:13 

So we played on Thursday night and ...

First up I played KL, a double winged looper. I think I got a game off him to go down 1-3. His loops were very low, very fast, very spinny. Meanwhile JC played MK and won. So 1-1 in rubbers.

AF & I played the first doubles. We were competitive but went down 1-3.

I played MK and went down 0-3, although I thought I was playing OK and got to deuce in one of the games. Meanwhile MD played GR and lost. Next up was AF & MD in the doubles and another loss.

So now we had lost the night 1-5 in rubbers. We agreed to play the rest of the matches.

JC played GR and lost in 5, while MD played KL and won. The final doubles had some very good points but AF & JC lost as well, so 2-7 all up.

Personally, I started the year overrated on 1570 +- 170 RC (from the Australian Vets in 2009).
After the Autumn competition in Div 2 I was on 1470 +- 62.
After the Spring competition in Div 1 I was on 1403 +- 43, with the latest from the semi final still to come, which may bring me under 1400.
Next year I won't be playing competition (last of my children is doing the HSC), but will still be running the community centre on a Saturday afternoons .
The year after, watch this space!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 10:51 

Oops, my RC rating is now 1387 +- 40 :( I am somewhat surprised as I lost to 2 players, both with higher RC ratings than myself.

On the bright side, assuming no further RC matches or changes to local competition criteria, I qualify for Division 2 when next I play local comp.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 10:50 

On Saturday went to the community centre as usual and J, a very keen new player, showed me his new blade & rubbers, bat cover, cleaning sponge and solution, all from a bricks'n' mortar TT shop in the south of Sydney. Blade was some sort of Yasaka allround? for just under $100 & 2 Mark V rubbers at $40 each, which was pretty close to what I had recommended him to get, although the blade was a little pricier. We had more than enough to pay the rent, and J insisted on some singles with moi, which showed him that he had better learn to read spin better now that he has some reasonable equipment.

Sunday afternoon at the PCYC was slow to begin with but eventually 2 paying customers turned up and a good time was had by all.

Monday night at the club I hit with a couple of lower graders, then played MD and won 3-1, and played DA and won 3-2 after being down 1-2.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 14:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
My blog has no fans...so I rarely write it anymore :P :?:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 15:27 

Well, I read it whenever there are any new entries in it.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 06:55 

I believe this is my 1000th post, so here goes.

It seems that I am becoming an uncredentialled coach. Yesterday at the PCYC there was an older oriental lady who was there for the coaching, and she also enjoys the play there more than the other places she plays locally. I also seem to have picked up a groupie - there is a guy who has come along to both the PCYC & the community centre for the last few weeks, bought a blade & rubbers from on my advice, through Pinkie who gave him much the same advice thankfully, and seems to hang on my every word.

In other news, the Friday night sessions at the PCYC have been cancelled by the PCYC due to lack of interest, and L1C has told me that he won't be back there until they get surrounds, paint the walls any colour but white (I was thinking orange (the new black?) for when the orange balls eventually arrive), and the session fee is reduced, not necessarily in that order. I have also given some people (the district and some who go to the PCYC) warning that I won't be at the PCYC for Sunday afternoons once school goes back in late January or early February as my daughter will be in her final year at school doing the HSC.

I am in the throes of organizing the community centre TT end of year lunch for the 16th December. Hopefully that will go well. We have around a dozen so want to go.

Monday night at the club last week was OK, but I wasn't playing all that well - lost to JC probably by being too passive, gave DH a hit and gave a new guy a hit.

OOAK nut here I come.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 10:52 

Last Saturday I went to the community centre as usual, tried to organize more of the end of year lunch and have fun.

Then on Sunday went to the PCYC and there was 3 of us. Things there went OK too.

Then on Monday night to the club, where I played AF and lost in 5 when I should have won in 3. Oh well. I later played JC who I beat in 5 I think, so not all a downer. That was the last Monday night for the club for the year, back in January.

I also wrote an email to the manager at the PCYC saying that I could not run Sunday afternoons after the end of January next year, that I was trying to get someone else to do it, and also asking if the PCYC was going to be closed down over Christmas - New Year. He replied that he thought it best if it finishes next Sunday, and that it would be reviewed over the summer, but in the meantime that tables would be available free in the foyer area. Now the foyer area has a few strikes against it: polished granite floors, some direct sunlight and people just walk through to get to the multi-function rooms, change rooms and toilets. But it is free.

So next Saturday is the last day for the community centre till 1st Saturday in February, Sunday is the last day for the foreseeable future for the PCYC, last Monday was the last day for the club till around the 15th of January, and I won't be playing comp next year (though I may be able to sneak in the district championships tournament in August). Oh no, table tennis withdrawal ahoy.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 12:29 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Add me to your growing numbers of fan :up:

So much action there retriever. Good for you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 30  Next