OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 11:42 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Bumper crop at the community centre Saturday afternoon - made last month financial. A few new people, at least one was somewhat surprised that I do what I do for free. My brother was back from medical issues so we had a bit of a hit, both of us getting edges of bats and fingers in our shots.

Last night at the club, a player from the club that folded where I and a couple of others there, turned up. D? had had an operation to reattach the tendon to the bone near the inside of the elbow of his playing arm, and either at the end of the op or in recovery had torn another tendon on the outside near the same elbow, and this was his first time back playing. He was a bit cautious and under doctor's orders to stop if it hurt. I had a hit (no games) with him first up. I later played IM and won 4-1, MD and won 3-2, JC and won 4-1. All I needed was for AF to have turned up and beaten him and it would have been complete. JC admitted that I seemed to be playing well. For him I targeted his forehand and put it under pressure with more aggressive shots than usual, while really trying to vary my pushes and chops between little or no back spin to full back spin.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2018, 08:07 

Unexpectedly was able to play last Thursday night. Beat IM & lost to JC but beat OC his son. Good hit out.

Saturday we had quite a number with tables pretty full.

Last night played JC and won. Played IF and won 11-0 first game (no mercy!). We played 5 or 6 games and I won all of them with varying degrees of comfort.

Won't get to play next Thursday :(, but have a TT committee meeting where hopefully I can persuade it to buy some of the new D40+ orange balls for the community centre. Also at the last committee meeting, which I didn't attend due to not knowing it was on as I had mysteriously dropped off the secretary's email list, they resolved to apply for a grant from TTA to buy new tables for the community centre. The things that happen when I miss a meeting. Maybe if I don't attend they will buy the orange balls any way :).

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 07:45 

I look around and it is almost a month later. Table tennis wise, I have been running the community centre on Saturday afternoons and playing on Monday nights at the club.

Saturday afternoons have been quite well attended, with lots of doubles being played at peak times.

At the club there is a group of us who almost take it in turns to lose and win against each other. MD usually beats me but I get the odd match. JC usually beats me but I get the odd match. With AF we usually split matches. Last night IM turned up for the first time in a few weeks. He got to 1-2, but then I came back for the win 3-2. We finished with doubles.

In off the table action, the local district TTA has put in an application for a grant from TTA to help replace the tables & nets at the community centre, along with a supply of orange balls, now that there are 40+ orange balls available in theory. Yours truly supplied a lot of the material for the application.

The district championships are on next Sunday which I will be helping set up and run for the morning, originally the whole day.

In the afternoon I'll be going to the local edition of the TTA Strategic Planning Open Forum. It will be interesting to see what format it is and what sort of review of the problems that led to the upheaval at TTA will be given, and how they see the way forward. I have already been given material by 2 former presidents of the local district TTA to contribute.

We have already had teams submitted for the next Spring Competition, and had a local district committee meeting to firm up which teams are in which division and when the comp will be finished.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 07:36 

Woot - our application was successful to get the grant from TTA - we have gotten 3/4 of what we asked for. Now we have to actually do what we said. The grant pays for just under 1/3 of what we are going to do. Our secretary forwarded on the success email and I saw it last night when I got home from work. Just looked at the news section of the TTA web site and it announces all grants made. There were 10 grants made out of "more than 30" applications made.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 11:44 

Have been running Saturday afternoons at the community centre and playing for myself at the club on Monday nights since my last update.

Against EC, a long pips / short pips player, I have been splitting matches pretty much down the middle. JC I have mostly been losing against but won 11-0 in the decider last Monday night. In that time I have again been asked what pimples I am using. :)

The local committee has been stuffing around with the quote we used to get the grant, trying to get better prices instead of just using it and doing it. We all know how frugal table tennis players are.

In late breaking news, one of the other clubs is going to charge parking fees on top of venue use fees for visiting players playing in our pennant league. Shades of a certain recent US tournament!

Some time real soon now I will be getting new rubbers in preparation for playing comp next year. I'll probably go for Tenergy 05 max both sides, hanging the expense. I currently have it on my back hand as per the signature on the left, and both rubbers are about 2 years old.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 11:48 

Another Saturday afternoon at the community centre with questions about coaching and people leaving items of clothing behind.

Played at the club on Monday night and played a couple of guys, J?1 who uses some sort of Hurricane which is too fast for him, but he enjoys getting the odd massive shot 3-0 and J?2, a pen holder who has never previously gotten a game from me 3-1. I had previously commented to someone else that he had improved a bit, but I had not realised by how much. Also played JC and after winning the first 11-9, losing the 2nd 14-16 managed to win the 3rd 11-9. Whew. Last of all I played IF, a combination bat player that I have played with and against for decades, probably since almost 1982. Because of my familiarity with his game and the fact that my game is so much slower than what he is used to (he plays local pennant, Veterans etc while I just do the Saturday afternoon & club thing) I manage to win all 3 convincingly. Oh, he is about a dozen years older too.

In non-table tennis news, my youngest, a daughter, is graduating from high school tomorrow & also has the school formal tomorrow night, then the HSC exams after the school holidays. Feeling older.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 06:32 

Apart from a certain conversation alluded to elsewhere, I have been running Saturday afternoons at the community centre, playing at the club on Mondays and played also at the club the other time it is open, last Thursday. I think I have played JC a couple of times losing 0-3 last Thursday, also losing to MD 1-2. My excuse was that I donated blood that morning. :). On Monday the team was playing comp at home, and it got to 4-4 with the last rubber a doubles to decide the match. Those of us playing socially stopped to watch so the guys had more of an "active" audience than usual. Fortunately our guys came through in an exciting match. I hope to play tonight as well. Why Thursdays? It is school holidays again.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 10:51 

Played last Thursday night at the club, ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre and played again at the club last night. Last night, played JC and lost 0-3 all under 5 I think, lost to MD 1-2 but it was a lot closer, and beat DZ, who had just beaten MD 2-1, 2-1. Styles matter. I also played acouple of doubles and went home.

I have sent off my entry to a round robin tournament in the country which happens after my daughter's HSC exams are finished.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 11:16 

Played in a round-robin tournament out in the country on Saturday, and had a ball mostly.

The format was 48 players entered, in 12 or 16 (3 or 4 player) groups and 4 different round robins played during the day, with the final round robin hopefully against players of roughly your own strength. The results of the final round robin was what counted, with the winner of the top table being the winner of the whole tournament, but prizes given out to winners of every table.

The 1st round robin was groups of 4 players so using 12 tables. It was roughly seeded so that the expectation was that player 1 on the score sheet would come out on top, player 2 would come 2nd, 3 3rd and 4 4th. I was player 1 in my group and won all 3 of my matches (best of 3, no deuce) without dropping a game.

The results of the 1st round robin were used to split the 48 players into an A stream (1st and 2nd from each group) and a B stream (3rd and 4th from each group).

The 2nd round robin was the same format but only against the players in your stream. Again I won all 3 of my matches without dropping a game. One of the players in my group was our own Dusty054 (Hi Dusty). He even compared me to the canine species from whence I derive my nickname. I let him know who I was on this forum. I was also proudly wearing my OOAK shirt in the hopes of someone recognising it, but no-one did :(.

Then we had lunch which was part of the tournament experience. I commented to someone there that I felt that I would probably reach my level of incompetence in the next round robin. At the time I did not know how prophetic an utterance I had made.

The 3rd round robin was groups of 3 so using 16 tables, and the matches were the best of 5 games with no deuce. I lost both my matches 1-3 so dropped out of contention for the top table in the final round robin.

Things must have been running ahead of time, because the organizer offered us a choice for the final round robin of 4 players to either play deuces in a best of 3 games or play best of 5 with no deuce. We ended up playing best of 5 with no deuce.

I was drawn to table 3 as a result of my 2 losses (the guy who beat both of us in the 3rd round robin went to the top table while the guy who lost to him but beat me went to table 2). I played against 2 players I had played against in previous round robins, and Dusty054's older brother. I again went through undefeated but may have dropped a game against 2 of the players, to win table 3.

Then there was the presentations, with each player receiving a certificate with the table number and rank within that table. The winners and runners up on each table got prizes from the sponsors, with 3rd & 4th place getters receiving their choice of some promotional items.

After repairing to shower and change, dinner was had at a local hotel bistro, again part of the tournament experience.

I must pay tribute to the organizers for the amount of effort to get prizes even for those who came last on the bottom table.

In other news, the community centre where I run things is finally getting the new tables partially funded from a TTA grant. They will be arriving and being assembled next Saturday, so I will be getting there a couple of hours early to let that happen. I have organized a board member of TTA to turn up and say a few words, along with our association president to do the same and to take semiprofessional photos. I'll also be fixing the sign we put up on the footpath outside, which fell apart last week.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 15:54 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Hi Retriever, was nice to meet you. It was my second year playing in that tournament which I enjoy. I like the format and the social aspect of it. I ended up on table 4 and will aim for table 3 next year. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 06:35 

I forgot to mention I sort of had dinner with Dusty054 and his brother as I got to the hotel early and they had to leave earlier than dinner was scheduled so they ate while I sat with them.

Played at the club last night - lost to IM, having won the 1st game then losing from there. I hadn't played him for months. Also lost to MD - he was just too good. I took him to deuce in the final game. Also played M? & J? with no troubles.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2018, 06:51 

After the drama of getting new tables at the community centre as documented in a separate post, and unbeknownst to me being made the contact to sell the old tables and hence getting calls and texts on Sunday, I went to the club on Monday night.

First up I played IM who played loops that I could not block back on the table. Nearly every single one went long. 0-3. Need more practice against such loops. I find that when I don't play as much my block against good loops like these were, goes walkabout.

Next was EC, the long pimples / short pimples player. He too was too good for me, and every so often my returns just died into the net. Another 0-3.

I then played a couple of lower grade players, one of whom J?1 (penhold attacker) got the first game, and was serving such that I set up his forehand and he was capitalising on it. The next 2 games I played him on his backhand more and varied the return on the setup serve and managed 2-1.

Last singles was with MD, arguably the best player in the club. He had beaten IM. I think I managed 3-0 (it could have been 2-1 - the wonders of memory). He missed a lot of what he would normally get, while I was mostly my usual steady self with the odd calculated risk shot.

We finished off with a doubles, MD & PU (who played for our club in the just finished comp) vs myself and J?2 (different J? though still penhold, spinner and smasher). Things see-sawed with us leading 2-1, then 2-2, then leading at the change in the 5th. We ran out winners. When our opposition made particularly good unreturnable shots to me and I missed them, J?2 jokingly berated me for letting the side down and told me I had to get my level up, all in good fun.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 06:31 

Played again at the club last night. What a difference a few days makes.
First up played J?1 and concentrated this time so 3-0. Then MD and 2-1. IM retired when I was 2-0 up. EC was 3-2 after being 1-2. I fell that I was sharper last night.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 06:51 

Arrived at the community centre and the guy was there to take the tables already. I had been texted instructions as to which table was to go where, and to mark them in a particular way. He then asked me to also write the suburb as well. Last thing I gave him the old nets. This all put me back in getting the hall ready for the TT session. We set up all 4 tables in the new configuration, but only used 2 of them. At least they are easier to set up and pull down than the old ones.

The next day I get a text from the negotiator asking if the nets had been given with the old tables. Of course I was able to text back Yes.

Last night at the club I played JC (penhold counter hitter) and lost 0-3. I also played M? and won 3-0.

Then it was IM. I had watched him playing JC and worked out what to do and what not to do against him. At 3 games I was down 1-2, but came back to win 3-2. Afterwards we talked and he mentioned that his game goes down very quickly as he gets more tired. I told him what I had worked out against him (may have been a mistake). I told him that some players can loop better against a bit of back spin, and that it looked like he was one of them. So my serves were mostly side top or pure side or no spin so that he couldn't tee off on them. My returns I tried also not to do mid pushes - they were either lots of back spin or none or even some top spin. Between him missing some and my tactics I got the win. We'll have to see what happens next time.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 10:49 

Went to the club last night. I played a lower grade player (same one as I played first up on Monday night) as we arrived at the same time. Then played PU (lefty AWD penholder) and won 3-0 fairly comfortably. Played MD again - this time he was "on" and he beat me 3-0, although all 3 games were reasonably close. Then a couple of doubles matches - one one and lost one before calling it quits for the night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 30  Next