OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 21:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 11:42 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Evolution FX-P max
BH: Tenergy 05 max
Bumper crop at the community centre Saturday afternoon - made last month financial. A few new people, at least one was somewhat surprised that I do what I do for free. My brother was back from medical issues so we had a bit of a hit, both of us getting edges of bats and fingers in our shots.

Last night at the club, a player from the club that folded where I and a couple of others there, turned up. D? had had an operation to reattach the tendon to the bone near the inside of the elbow of his playing arm, and either at the end of the op or in recovery had torn another tendon on the outside near the same elbow, and this was his first time back playing. He was a bit cautious and under doctor's orders to stop if it hurt. I had a hit (no games) with him first up. I later played IM and won 4-1, MD and won 3-2, JC and won 4-1. All I needed was for AF to have turned up and beaten him and it would have been complete. JC admitted that I seemed to be playing well. For him I targeted his forehand and put it under pressure with more aggressive shots than usual, while really trying to vary my pushes and chops between little or no back spin to full back spin.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2018, 08:07 

Unexpectedly was able to play last Thursday night. Beat IM & lost to JC but beat OC his son. Good hit out.

Saturday we had quite a number with tables pretty full.

Last night played JC and won. Played IF and won 11-0 first game (no mercy!). We played 5 or 6 games and I won all of them with varying degrees of comfort.

Won't get to play next Thursday :(, but have a TT committee meeting where hopefully I can persuade it to buy some of the new D40+ orange balls for the community centre. Also at the last committee meeting, which I didn't attend due to not knowing it was on as I had mysteriously dropped off the secretary's email list, they resolved to apply for a grant from TTA to buy new tables for the community centre. The things that happen when I miss a meeting. Maybe if I don't attend they will buy the orange balls any way :).

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 07:45 

I look around and it is almost a month later. Table tennis wise, I have been running the community centre on Saturday afternoons and playing on Monday nights at the club.

Saturday afternoons have been quite well attended, with lots of doubles being played at peak times.

At the club there is a group of us who almost take it in turns to lose and win against each other. MD usually beats me but I get the odd match. JC usually beats me but I get the odd match. With AF we usually split matches. Last night IM turned up for the first time in a few weeks. He got to 1-2, but then I came back for the win 3-2. We finished with doubles.

In off the table action, the local district TTA has put in an application for a grant from TTA to help replace the tables & nets at the community centre, along with a supply of orange balls, now that there are 40+ orange balls available in theory. Yours truly supplied a lot of the material for the application.

The district championships are on next Sunday which I will be helping set up and run for the morning, originally the whole day.

In the afternoon I'll be going to the local edition of the TTA Strategic Planning Open Forum. It will be interesting to see what format it is and what sort of review of the problems that led to the upheaval at TTA will be given, and how they see the way forward. I have already been given material by 2 former presidents of the local district TTA to contribute.

We have already had teams submitted for the next Spring Competition, and had a local district committee meeting to firm up which teams are in which division and when the comp will be finished.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 07:36 

Woot - our application was successful to get the grant from TTA - we have gotten 3/4 of what we asked for. Now we have to actually do what we said. The grant pays for just under 1/3 of what we are going to do. Our secretary forwarded on the success email and I saw it last night when I got home from work. Just looked at the news section of the TTA web site and it announces all grants made. There were 10 grants made out of "more than 30" applications made.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 11:44 

Have been running Saturday afternoons at the community centre and playing for myself at the club on Monday nights since my last update.

Against EC, a long pips / short pips player, I have been splitting matches pretty much down the middle. JC I have mostly been losing against but won 11-0 in the decider last Monday night. In that time I have again been asked what pimples I am using. :)

The local committee has been stuffing around with the quote we used to get the grant, trying to get better prices instead of just using it and doing it. We all know how frugal table tennis players are.

In late breaking news, one of the other clubs is going to charge parking fees on top of venue use fees for visiting players playing in our pennant league. Shades of a certain recent US tournament!

Some time real soon now I will be getting new rubbers in preparation for playing comp next year. I'll probably go for Tenergy 05 max both sides, hanging the expense. I currently have it on my back hand as per the signature on the left, and both rubbers are about 2 years old.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 11:48 

Another Saturday afternoon at the community centre with questions about coaching and people leaving items of clothing behind.

Played at the club on Monday night and played a couple of guys, J?1 who uses some sort of Hurricane which is too fast for him, but he enjoys getting the odd massive shot 3-0 and J?2, a pen holder who has never previously gotten a game from me 3-1. I had previously commented to someone else that he had improved a bit, but I had not realised by how much. Also played JC and after winning the first 11-9, losing the 2nd 14-16 managed to win the 3rd 11-9. Whew. Last of all I played IF, a combination bat player that I have played with and against for decades, probably since almost 1982. Because of my familiarity with his game and the fact that my game is so much slower than what he is used to (he plays local pennant, Veterans etc while I just do the Saturday afternoon & club thing) I manage to win all 3 convincingly. Oh, he is about a dozen years older too.

In non-table tennis news, my youngest, a daughter, is graduating from high school tomorrow & also has the school formal tomorrow night, then the HSC exams after the school holidays. Feeling older.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 06:32 

Apart from a certain conversation alluded to elsewhere, I have been running Saturday afternoons at the community centre, playing at the club on Mondays and played also at the club the other time it is open, last Thursday. I think I have played JC a couple of times losing 0-3 last Thursday, also losing to MD 1-2. My excuse was that I donated blood that morning. :). On Monday the team was playing comp at home, and it got to 4-4 with the last rubber a doubles to decide the match. Those of us playing socially stopped to watch so the guys had more of an "active" audience than usual. Fortunately our guys came through in an exciting match. I hope to play tonight as well. Why Thursdays? It is school holidays again.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 10:51 

Played last Thursday night at the club, ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre and played again at the club last night. Last night, played JC and lost 0-3 all under 5 I think, lost to MD 1-2 but it was a lot closer, and beat DZ, who had just beaten MD 2-1, 2-1. Styles matter. I also played acouple of doubles and went home.

I have sent off my entry to a round robin tournament in the country which happens after my daughter's HSC exams are finished.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18