OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 03:14 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
How often do you play much better opponents than the one in the vid Yosua? I think you would benefit by playing against more experienced opponents if you don't already. Its great to play with your friends, but you will improve and learn by playing and watching superior players to yourself at least some of the time.

I also think your politeness on the forum is to be commended. When you first joined here, I wasn't sure what to make of it as youngsters these days aren't usually as polite. So I wondered what you were playing at. I now see it is genuine, and it is refreshing to see from a young person. :up:

To be frank Sir, the opponent I am facing in my last video is one of the top tier player in my club. Its surprising how low our level was compared to other clubs at least imo. He is just uninterested anymore in the match I think.
In the future for the sake of experience I will try to challenge the 'bosses' in my club. As long as they don't mind playing against pips :lol:

One of the reason why I reply so late is because of your commendation Sir. Really don't know how to respond properly :D
Now I think I decide just to thank you sincerely Sir :up:

Sorry for the inactivity in the past few weeks in the forum. My study is going nuts esp. its my 12nd year. I will try to update my little blog as frequent as I could.

Thanks a bunch Sir Reb !
:*: :*: :*: :*: :*:

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 04:26 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Good luck with your studies, Yosua. ;)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 10:47 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Good luck Yosua. At the end of the day, always remember, studying is more important than table tennis..

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 18:56 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Lorre wrote:
Good luck with your studies, Yosua. ;)

Thanks a lot Sir! Now it is done and I can venture in table tennis again! Wooohooo!

Red_lion wrote:
Good luck Yosua. At the end of the day, always remember, studying is more important than table tennis..

So studying table tennis is more important than both :rofl:
Thanks a bunch Sir !

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 12:07 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
:rofl:
Yes. Especially if it will become your profession and earn decently from it :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 00:18 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

My apologies for another inactivity in the forum and my blog. Really little time to play table tennis really ;(

I will write a review and three first impression of my table tennis equipment and a bit about my latest play in my club.
-Kokutaku 911 OX Black review
-Double Fish 1615 OX Red impression
-DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Black MAX impression
-Donic Defplay Senso FL impression

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 01:54 
Joo Too
Joo Too

YosuaYosan wrote:
My apologies for another inactivity in the forum and my blog. Really little time to play table tennis really ;(

I will write a review and three first impression of my table tennis equipment and a bit about my latest play in my club.
-Kokutaku 911 OX Black review
-Double Fish 1615 OX Red impression
-DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Black MAX impression
-Donic Defplay Senso FL impression

Yosua, looking forward to it. ;)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 02:58 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Kokutaku 911 Review

Type: Long pips
Color: Black
Thickness: OX
Tops: Ribbed

Tested on:
1. LKT Instinct+ Darkwood Varnished (7ply)
2. Tibhar Phantom X Carbon (9ply)

Playing side: Backhand

The first time I opened the package, the rubber is shiny unlike most Jap rubber (I guess). When I rub my hand and a table tennis ball onto the topsheet, I found the friction is little, yet when I press onto it, I found out that the sides are very grippy.

When I wanna glue it to the blade, I found that the basesheet is thicker than most of the pips I have used (D.TecS, 388D-1 and 1615) and the side that I am going to put onto the blade (the backside) is textured. I found that it is rather easy to glue for my 1st OX long pips (I only use one glue layer).

When I tried the 911 on the LKT Instinct+, the throw is surprisingly high for a stiff and medium elastic OX long pips.

Passive blocking yields a dead ball. A chop block provides quite a decent reversal off a topspin.
Chopping is good but not the best. The reversal is moderate and the ball is not that dangerous to my opponent. Most chops have a high arc which is not a very good thing for defensive players.

Pushing with the 911 is rather easy and predictable. Both pushing little topspin, float and backspin will yield in an empty ball. This rubber could 'eat' spin well.

One forte of this rubber is hitting. With its high throw for a long pips I could hit very well with it, esp. if the opponent only impart a medium-little amount of spin on the ball. Hitting topspin is another story, which I found hard. Hitting backspin needs a bit of a 'roll' on the ball, but the topspin generated is surprisingly good.
Another feature I liked from this rubber is its insensitivity to spin when only the tips are used. I use this to flip return my opponent's short backspin serve with ease and control.

It seems that when I am using a different blade (Phantom X Carbon), the difference is not much, just a slightly lower throw. I wonder how it will play if I use it on an uber-soft blade.

Recommended for:
-LP Hitters ala Carl Prean
-Aggressive LP blockers

Suitable for:
-LP Allrounder
-Modern defense

Not recommended for:
-Disturbing play close to the table
-Classical defense

Last edited by YosuaYosan on 22 Dec 2011, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 03:04 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Lorre wrote:
Yosua, looking forward to it. ;)

Fo Sure Sire ;)
There goes my first review :D

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 03:33 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

The Daywalker Setup
First Impression

So there goes my first REAL defensive equipment guys :D :party: :party: :party: :D
Its a joy that at last I get what I should play with, at last in my mind right now.

Here is a quick review a.k.a my first impression of my Daywalker setup:
-Blade: Donic Defplay Senso FL
-FH: DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Black MAX
-BH: Double Fish 1615 RED OX

The Blade
The blade's build and finish is amazing, now I know why the price is different :lol: The handle is hollow if I see it through the bottom. It is a 5-ply, elastic yet damp blade, light too. When I bounce a ball, I don't see much difference compared to another blade's test bounce, just the softer and more direct feel.

The Forehand
Woot, a nostalgic smell when I open the packaging of the new rubber. Sweet :D
Yep, it is tacky shiny by appearance and the sponge is medium-hard.
When I try to lift a ball like the one I watched on YouTube by sticking the ball onto the rubber, I didn't succeed :lol: But it is still much tackier compared to all Jap and Euro rubber I have used in the past.
This one is harder to cut, maybe because of the med-hard rubber. Made a mistake and got a bad cut on the top of the blade :(

The Backhand
"Wow! Almost frictionless!" is what gone thru my mind when I rub my hand onto the blood red topsheet of my DF 1615. It has the old rubber stamp. Like this:
Image But mine has a much red color than the one shown here.
The tips are ribbed, the topsheet is semi shiny and the pips are very elastic. Compared to my 388D-1, the pips are more apart and are slightly larger.

The Daywalker
The first day, I tried to smack with The Daywalker. GOSH! Who thought that my forehand and backhand loop is suited for chinese rubber? I know that the blade played a big part but the chinese rubber just feel so natural to me. Almost all of my loops hit the table with massive amount of spin and speed. Amazing! I could execute my loops with high confidence and POWER now :D
That sends my thought flying when back then I thought that my playing style is more suitable for Euro/Jap rubber :@

Then it is the other day I tested it with my pal. The 1615 is very disturbing and the reversal is awesome, maybe 3/4 the D.TecS. The ball also fly weird. For chopping off the table, I have never felt this confident before. LOVE IT :D The backspin is massive too :up:
Pushing is easy with it but my chop blocking needs some adjustment, the same goes for my attacks over backspin with the pips.
While defending, the ball comes back slower than I thought, which also need some adjustment.

The other thing is that now my usually consistent forehand chop is in oblivion, at least in my short test. All of them get dumped into the net. The bright side is that in the higher level I could control my opponent's hard loops and even impart a heavy amount of backspin in my forehand chop, which is my specialty. Once again I need adjustment, maybe a slightly more open racket angle and more forward movement.

I feel that this new setup suits me very well, esp. the 'soul' of my setup, the Defplay Senso. Today I will go to the club with it and lets see what will happen ;)

Oh I also want to thank you for Sir Alex M. (leatherback) for being my inspiration in improving my pips technique close to the table. Your technique is just DEVASTATING :up: :up:

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 03:48 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Then here is a quick story about me playing in my club a week ago.

I play against a good looper who defeated Ko A Fung, a two wing attacker in my club by 3-0.
In the first set I lose to him 11-8 with my Lightsider setup. Even tho illegal, I switched to my Darksider setup. I loss a set again, then I won the next set. Its 3-1 then I catch up 3-3 but at last lose 4-3 11-8 because I play lazy :D I am just trying my setup tho, so no biggie ;)

The next match is me against Ko A Fung. This time I use my lightsider setup and won 3-0. Cool 8)

Yeah, thats about it, two good matches after a long slumber in table tennis.

And now for some newfound 'wisee' I found during training:
1. In returning serve, contact where your opponent contact the ball and drive (or stroke) it to the opposite of its flying trajectory. Example: When an opponent give a backspin serve, contact the ball on the bottom like your opponent and lift the ball upwards.

2. Wonder why young choppers seems to get outgunned everytime and the ball returned to undesired places? I found out that if its a righty vs righty match, if the chopper sends the ball to the opponent's backhand, the opponent will most likely return the ball to the backhand, allowing it to be chopped. Even though the ball is sent to the chopper's forehand, it can't be wide and can be dealt with.
When the ball is in the forehand's side of the opponent, the chopper needs to be ready for a wide ball or a down the line ball. Found when I watched some of Joo's matches. This anticipation and self positioning is VITAL for a defender.

3. As most inverted stroke is used on the ball's peak position (or starting to descend), pips as its counterpart should take the ball of bounce. This applies for close to the table play.

Huff I guess that's for today guys, thanks for visiting my blog and spend some time reading :D

Yosua

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 09:52 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Great stories and reviews, Yosua. :up: Position is indeed crucial for a defender. But in contrary to you I'm a leftie and I defend. You get matches like Boll vs. Joo, but mirrored. So it is not always easy to know what to do, because I don't have known examples to copy. But it is very interesting to learn... :)

Keep up the good work. ;) Was your absence due to exams?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 16:10 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

The afterburn of the exams Sir Lorre :lol: I am preparing for my last semester in my high school too.
WOW! Sir Lorre, I don't know that you are a lefty defender LOL :D
Maybe for learning you invert a Joo vs Timo video? :lol:

This Monday:
Mostly training with a senior with a level below me while taking my feel of my new setup to a whole new level. To improve someone don't need to play with someone higher. True as it is.
My chop block went very low, my chops too. Lovely.

I did a session of multiball too and found the principal of looping with chinese rubber:
"In most cases, close to the table, the more you brush the better."

Thats about it for now ;)

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 05:54 
Joo Too
Joo Too

YosuaYosan wrote:
Maybe for learning you invert a Joo vs Timo video? :lol:

Yes, it might be very instructive to watch a mirrored Joo vs Timo match. That is btw possible using VLC Media Player, if I remeber correctly.

YosuaYosan wrote:
To improve someone don't need to play with someone higher. True as it is.

That is absolutely true. When playing a lower-leveled player, you can think more. That is indeed very useful when trying a new setup.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 01:43 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Sorry again for the absence lately.

Upcoming next:
- 2 videos - One is a match against my friend and the other is about playing table tennis @ new year time.
- A story about a great jump in my game recently.

Stay tuned with "A Young Darksider's Journey" with reviews of course ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next