OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 02:20 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

This LP rocks ! :rock:
Lemme give a mini review of my first impression after using it for a few days.
Some notable info :
- My height is 170 cm, around 5'7". Height do affect how you play alot !
- My previous LP was Grass D.Tecs 1.2mm black.
- I am using the Dawei in 0.7mm, black edition too.
- I am using it on a LKT Instinct+ blade.

The pips are skinny and elastic, the topsheet are tacky and shiny, the pips diameter is small compared to D.Tecs, and its much more packed, similar to Feint AG, but have much much more reversal.

Dunno if its because it is new but its heavenly spinny. Imagine! I could do a backspin serve and it returns to the net !

Pushing is much more inverted like since its much more grippy compared to D.Tecs which plays more like FLP.

It also hold much more control and very friendly for new LP users. Chopping with it feels like deflecting an attack. Very cool feeling at least for me :D Great reversal and control when chopping.

It is very deceptive, I could vary the spin easily. I could lessen the topspin by chopping a bit sideway and kill the next ball with a big forehand loop. Awesomeness.

One of the greatest characteristic I like from this LP is its high versatility for attack strokes, at least for me. My backhand is similar to Kreanga but its much more upwards, many LP user have this backhand characteristic, incl. me (and Ruwen Filus).
If I want to bh loop with inverted, the ball will usually pop out off the table, but with the Dawei 388D-1 I could loop from the backhand like crazy and got all the ball on the table, literally.
So, yes when the ball sinks onto the sponge, the LP will play like a low-throw inverted rubber. Cool 8)
The ball has some spin tho, this makes the opponent bewildered since LP attack are usually dead balls. To add more confusion, I could slap the ball like Joo by changing the stroke at the end, resulting in a 'sink' ball (very light topspin).

Heck yes, this is the best LP I've ever used :rock:

Last edited by YosuaYosan on 19 Oct 2011, 00:23, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 04:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I liked it a lot too (red w/ 0.5mm sponge). I could attack with it and block aggressively easily... I felt like Deng Yaping. :lol:
Unfortunately, after just one session (about 3 hours) I found many pips nearly broken at the base in the sweet spot area...

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 04:36 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

roundrobin wrote:
I liked it a lot too (red w/ 0.5mm sponge). I could attack with it and block aggressively easily... I felt like Deng Yaping. :lol:
Unfortunately, after just one session (about 3 hours) I found many pips nearly broken at the base in the sweet spot area...

Wow :o is the durability that bad ?
Where do you bought it sir ?

Mine seems fine even though I hit and loop aggressively with it.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 04:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I bought it from China-Friend.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 09:03 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
YY, can you keep us informed about your progress with that pip? I do not intend to change my 1,6 DTecs, because the Dawei has a max sponge of 1.0, but it would be quite interesting to know your progress with it. Why did you change from the DTecs in the first place?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 19:13 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Lorre wrote:
YY, can you keep us informed about your progress with that pip? I do not intend to change my 1,6 DTecs, because the Dawei has a max sponge of 1.0, but it would be quite interesting to know your progress with it. Why did you change from the DTecs in the first place?

Would be glad to do that sir.
In that case I will use this thread as a little blog too :)

Why I changed from D.Tecs ? Hmm..
Well its started out like this :

I used Tibhar Phantom X Carbon. A 9 ply smallhead blade with 4 ply of carbon. The worst nightmare a defender could get. I slapped the D.Tecs (presumably legendary old D.Tecs) to it and cutting it to the size of the small head. This is like a few months ago..
Next monday I will have a school cup and I can't use my D.Tecs because my new blade can't get its head covered by the D.Tecs. Thats one, but not my main reason tbh.

D.Tecs 1.2mm is my first LP and for me and my rather wild strokes, it is too much to control.. For now..
I have honed my lp skill for a few month with D.Tecs and I gotta say that LP suits my nature very well, but still I need more control.

Thats how I bought the Dawei, first 1.0mm then changing it to 0.7mm because I want to learn fine LP skill and I appreciate control more than ever now, esp. I am a defender.

For someone with good hands like you sir, its no surprise you could move to the 1.6mm version of D.Tecs. Maybe the blade also contribute large to your change.
My blade LKT Instinct+ is definitely an allround semi-off blade with good flex for defending. Even my 1.2mm D.Tecs with my half-honed skill is not good enough. So I changed my setup, my WHOLE setup as you can see in my other thread.

My previous setup was :
Blade : Tibhar Phantom X Carbon
FH : Tibhar Nianmor Red MAX
BH : Tibhar Grass D.Tecs Black 1.2mm

And my setup now :
Blade : LKT Instinct+
FH : Tibhar Volcano 2.0mm
BH : Dawei 388D-1 0.7mm

In short sir, I am re-learning.
Slowing my setup for a faster development is never a bad idea right ?

Oh and maybe in the future I could try to change the sponge and see how it works.
Thank you for the idea and question sir. Much appreciated :)

Yosua

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 22:21 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Thanx for the compliment. :)

I understand that you couldn't control the 1.2 DTecs in the beginning of your pip career. it's a pip that's hard to control. I think you made a wise move by going for a thinner sponge and another blade.

BTW, You don't need to sir me, YY. ;) We are all table tennis fans together... Lorre is more than good enough.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011, 21:24 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Lorre wrote:
Thanx for the compliment. :)

I understand that you couldn't control the 1.2 DTecs in the beginning of your pip career. it's a pip that's hard to control. I think you made a wise move by going for a thinner sponge and another blade.

BTW, You don't need to sir me, YY. ;) We are all table tennis fans together... Lorre is more than good enough.

Sorry sir, but it is a nature formed from a very long time ago, so hard to detach :lol:
And I think it is a way to respect people too ;)
Since I am born here in Indonesia, the environment helps me to form it :up:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011, 21:44 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

29 September 2011
Playing area : My TT club (PTM Tunas Citra)

This is the first time I use the pips outside my experiment area.
I am fighting an old man in the first match, lose to him 5-0, his services are all sidespin to the middle of the table. I can't receive it with my lp :( All the balls get stuck in the net and some flew out, and before with D.Tecs I could receive any serve given and its because I could read serves well too..
And the unfamiliarity with the grippiness also destroyed my strong point of the game, the short game. I do able to attack with it and steal some point from each set but I can't pull my usual game. My control with D.Tecs was even better.
The way I say that I need more control in my previous posts means that even though my control with D.Tecs is already good, I need a slower setup for better learning. It seems things turned out the different way eh :lol:

The second game I played with my fellow old-school senior and win 3-2 (usually 3-0) because I play less seriously and want to learn how to play with the new long pips, my attacks are cool tho ;) Pulled some Kreangatastic backhand loop :D

After I finished I met with one guy who was a pip EJ and he told me that the Dawei break easily, after getting obliterated in the game, it disheartened me even more.
However I have a life principal that nothing comes instantly and my bad-TT day is sth to learn from and a bad TT-day could be a great TT-day with the right mindset.
So I got home and re-opened sir Kees' trouble-shoot page to find that the invertedness of this rubber needs me to push shorter and faster (just a theory).
I thank God for the good day and slept :rock:

30 September 2011
Playing area : My church (GBI Citra 5)

After I got home from school, my teammate asked me to train together for the upcoming school cup. We trained and trained and I got some enlightenment !
Since the LP is inverted like, I need to direct the push UPward in the end, not to the net like I always do with the D.Tecs, it turns out my short game is back ! WOOT !
I also trained my attacking game with it to found out that its simply devastating !

Afterwards I played a match with him. Surprisingly, his hard services which I usually have a hard time, I could return them very well with the pips! I also conquer the short game, leading the game to my usual attack patern and ball-placement. My attack with the pips were also devastating.
In the end I won 3-1, we thanked each other for the good match and training.
To note, we've been playing TT together @ school for more than 5 years now and this is like the 5th or 6th time I defeat him, which is extraordinary :)

I also found out a mistake in my chopping. I put too much pace to the ball whereas my new and right mindset is to make the pips as a deflection plane for the ball to return.
Pace is given only when it is needed.

What a change in a day ! I am so happy that my belief didn't fail me :rock:
Thank God 8)

Thats a bituva story with my new pips, and hey I think the pips is very sturdy and it won't break easily ;)

Thanks for the great article from OOAKForum members, I won't be in this level without them :*: :*: :*: :*: :*:

I shall write more after the matches in the upcoming school cup (tomorrow!) and I will also record it if I could :)

Oh and here is a vid of me playing like more than a month ago with D.Tecs, still having bad footwork and bad stroke choices, but now I think I am much better ;)

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011, 23:47 
Joo Too
Joo Too

I'm quite curious about your new vids, YY, and how much you've improved. You did a right thing to change pips and more importantly going to a thinner sponge. It was also good to give that 388D-1 a second chance. :up:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 00:27 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Lorre wrote:
I'm quite curious about your new vids, YY, and how much you've improved. You did a right thing to change pips and more importantly going to a thinner sponge. It was also good to give that 388D-1 a second chance. :up:

I will ask my friend to bring his cam tomorrow, because my cam is broken atm.
Thanks for the compliments sir ;)

I will try to upload it too, there are some vids I haven't edit so maybe it will take some time :)
Thanks for taking some interest ! :D

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 02:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

What is your video set up, hardware and software?
Thanks,
tOD

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 02:55 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

theOldDuffer wrote:
Thanks,
tOD

Video setup ?
Let me check once again..

For the program I used Corel Video Studio X3 Pro.
For the raw video recording, I used Canon IXUS 110 IS with 1280x720 (HD) recording.
The file uploaded to YouTube was an mp4 with 640x480 resolution, 29 fps, 192kbps/44kHz with 2053 kbps data rate (around 256 kBps).
My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad T6600 @2.40 GHz with 3.25 GB (4GB) RAM. Quite outdated now..

Sir, what is a video setup ? I don't actually understand :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 05:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

YosuaYosan wrote:
theOldDuffer wrote:
Thanks,
tOD

Video setup ?
Let me check once again..

For the program I used Corel Video Studio X3 Pro.
For the raw video recording, I used Canon IXUS 110 IS with 1280x720 (HD) recording.
The file uploaded to YouTube was an mp4 with 640x480 resolution, 29 fps, 192kbps/44kHz with 2053 kbps data rate (around 256 kBps).
My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad T6600 @2.40 GHz with 3.25 GB (4GB) RAM. Quite outdated now..

Sir, what is a video setup ? I don't actually understand :lol:

You explained to me, "video set-up" very well. I was asking what hardware (computer, camera, etc.) and what software you used (Corel and You Tube upload) what you used to produce and post your videos. I liked the subtitles. I appreciate your answer to my question.
the Old Duffer (Thomas)

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2011, 02:31 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Updates !

Yesterday (9/10), me and my team emerged as the victor of Sang Timur Cup XII's Interschool Table Tennis Competition :party:
I finished the last decisive singles n a relaxed manner and full of smiles ;) A 3-0 win for me :) The bad thing is I played way too relaxed and got attacked a bit frequent :rofl: I also stand a bit straight, which I know is wrong. Gotta change my mindset on that part ;)

Anyway, I have adapted to the way Dawei 388D-1 plays and it turns out that my short game (service receive, push and placement on the table) went just nuts :D I am in control of the game.
My serves went very well, but I forgot to give topspin balls from an underspin motion (deception). I also twiddle and used my Dawei to fast serve. The sink ball is very very effective in closing the set :lol: Thanks coach Salatiel Jr. for the tips (channel stcvideos from YouTube)

My forehand loops off a push also went very accurate, none of them missed in my matches, which is elating since my weakness months and weeks before the match is my forehand loop, because of the intensive time I put in my forehand, now it is one of my main weapon.

Since the opponents I played don't play too much loop and focus more on pushing on the table, I can't go with my modern defending, so as usual I played pushblock instead.

The point that stand out from the Dawei I learned from the match is it is damn good receiving serves, pushing and especially for blocking topspin. The returned ball will be an empty one when a passive block is used and a very heavy underspin will be generated from a chop block. VERY deceptive :rock:
For receiving serve, I don't need a full motion stroke like Grass D.Tecs, I just alter my bat angle and push in a short and slowish motion, and if I wish, I could return some backspin by side sweeping.

Too bad no one brought a recording device, mine is currently being repaired as well :|

Oh and we got around 165 EUR prize money too hehe.
Sang Timur school sure have pulled out another prestigious event.

Yep, thats my first competition win with Dawei 388D-1.
It seems until the end of June there won't be any school matches anymore since this is my 12th year and the tests are getting nearer :lol:
I will keep update of some club matches and maybe a club tournament, even tho my report will be less frequent.

Thanks to God.
Thanks for my team singles (Eric Lee) and doubles (Surya Kurniawan, Anthony Heryawan and Yosua Wasita) for the great games, leading us to victory.
And much thanks for the great articles and thoughts from OOAKForum, can't win and improve this much without you guys :)

Cheers and God bless,
Yosan

Last edited by YosuaYosan on 11 Oct 2011, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.