OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 20:41 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
YosuaYosan wrote:
Red_lion wrote:
Any update Yosua? How's your game this time around?
Ooooopss..
Hehe, thank you so much Sir for asking, and more important still pay an attention to this inactive blog. Much thanks again :up:

So to put it short, I want to make this blog a.. Vlog? I think its better for people to see my game through a video. I will write too, but mostly in points about what have been learned, etc.
I will still write reviews too here :)
But it's a shame I haven't bought a camera to record my games. Other than being busy lately, I think that's the reason I am rather inactive for a while both in my blog.

My journey thus far:
-Finished my high school (YAY :D)
-Playing like a noob for quite some time
-Get a new coach, an ex national player in the 80s
-Extreme fixes on my forehand and at last I acquire a consistent forehand loop
-Still improving my modern defense up to today while winning the 3rd place in my club's Goceng Cup 3 days ago. To enter, we need to pay goceng/5000 rups or around 50 usd cents to enter. I got 20000 rups (rather little even for a day's pocket money here ha), but the learning is worth much more than that of course :)

Ooh and I am still thinking about what custom title should I get dooh :@

For the next 3 weeks I will go with my father to Waingapu, Sumba (closest Indonesian island to Australia yaaay) to see our project there. So unless I get internet access, I will be off the forum again :(
That's all for now. I hope I could maintain a good, consistent participation in this forum and my blog too..

Thanks for reading and see you in the next post.
Viva la defence! :Defense:

Thanx for the update, YY. :) I have a custom title for you: "Sir, yes, Sir!" referring to your "sirring" all the time. :lol: 8)

Viva la defence! :up:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 03:10 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Lorre wrote:
Thanx for the update, YY. :) I have a custom title for you: "Sir, yes, Sir!" referring to your "sirring" all the time. :lol: 8)

Viva la defence! :up:

Just proper respect, Sir, which has been forgotten by most young men nowadays..
Until the point where it is rather awkward and unneeded to give props I think :sweat:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 03:21 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Entering Another Dimension of The Dark

It's been quite a while since I organized my blog right here.. My personal apologizes for the impression of spending much less time in the forum..

So I'll try to make it not too long, just my journey so far and what I have learned as a young darksider in a nutshell.. Half nutshell (will be adding some details.. Probably lots :P)

First, about my equipment, it's been 2-3 weeks since I have switched to SHORT PIPS (formerly long pips).
Even though I love the known ability of long pips, I feel the utter need to control the spin more thus the controlling the opponent and the whole game. In the other hand the versatility of inverted rubbers could never match my nature and need of deception and tempo-breaking ability of my backhand. My good nature in slapping with my backhand combined with these needs lead me to one conclusion (you guessed it): short pips. I am not going back to the lightside anyways, not my backhand (except from some ocassional twiddle flips and dips)..

Personally, I never regret using long pips for a year or so. It gave me an unparalleled understanding about the game with long pips thus I could fight against it and I could coach and educate well about it. Non, je ne regrette rien..

Okay now back to short pips. My first short pips choice was a red 802 classic 1.5mm orange sponge. But to my wonder after a period of time it lays unused it turns out to be 4/5 inverted with very little deception I needed despite the amazing control it provides.
Next I tried the med pips (which looks like short pips!) red RITC 799-1 1.8mm sponge. I love the spin varying and deception it provides while disliking the bad hitting property it gives relative to my hitting nature. Between the two extreme (of horizontal aligned pips), I finally choose the middle line AND a vertical aligned pips, the Yasaka Original T-Version 2.0mm in Red (thank Heaven Indonesia has an awesome, full-ranged Yasaka agent).

The Yasaka T-Original itself is a stepping stone before I want to settle to the ultimate short pips TSP Spectol. To make sure I am not EJ-ing while learning to proper use of short pips, I swear to myself that I will settle for quite some time with the T-Original. When I think that I'm ready, I will try the less spinning Spectol. Time will tell and I will switch back to T-Version if it is necessary.

The T-Original so far has given me much pleasure both in winning or losing (thinking long-term). It gives me the needed deception over (pushes and flips) and off (chopping, retrieving) the table. Hitting with it against many kind of spin is a pleasure too, probably it's the most astounding property the rubber has. I could impart spin very well (around 70% inverted) while taking away spin is sweet and relatively easy (the sinks and floats are pretty nasty too).
The winning ratio of my game is also rising steadfast from 20% to recently 60~% in the same club with similar level of play.

For the inverted in my forehand, I switched to my year old black Yasaka Mark V 1.8mm due to problems in developing correct strokes in my forehand, esp. the forehand loop (which have been my struggle for a long time). I believe my decision for now is most wise for my journey..

For the blade, I keep myself consistent using the LKT Instinct+.. I wanna switch to P700 though if I think I'm ready :P Switching back is always a viable option but seeing many sp bh pros used and are using it, I think the chance to revert is rather small :)

One of my thoughts which also led me to using short pips is the new plastic ball.. But that's all for now about my equipment and dilly-dallies I guess..

For now, the most important thing for me is that I'm in peace with my game, at least my setup :) Pheeeew... Haven't felt that since a long time..

I might also write a review here about the T-Original but because I've just switched from long pips not so long ago combined with my lesser experience in using wide variety of short pips.. I think I could wait for the better..

Second, about the vital aspects of my game I am currently improving:
1. Anticipation and the way I look at the ball after a stroke
2. Recovery after stroke esp. attacks
3. Forehand loop
4. Flips and hits with my backhand over the table
4. The optimal use of wrist in attacks
5. Heavy, fast, aggressive pushes
6. Overall strategy of my game

That's what I am trying to improve in a nutshell..

Last but not least, I want to thank everyone here (the Sirs :D) in OOAKForum for providing the knowledge and wisdom gathered over the years which enables me to be who I am today in table tennis. Never could've achieved it without everybody here :)

Once again, as a teen, a student, a player and as a young darksider, I thank thee..

I hope everybody enjoyed this simple piece of writing as much as I do, since what I am sharing is life and I believe it is all good :)
Viva la darkside! Ciao and be blessed!

Yosan

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 08:40 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Nice piece of writing, YY. :up: Your passion reminds me of my passion for the game: I already told you that. Tonight a really good trainer entered the club and he taught me how to topspin the ball. Needless to say just a few were good, the rest was bad (the contact was too full): most of those flew over the table. A couple of them flew in the net, probably because my stroking action wasn't fast enough. Problem with my current game is my forehand topspin: when I learn that, then the sky is the limit (as a matter of speech).

What I want to say is: go for it, YY, the passion is there: the rest will follow. Settling for a Mark V isn't bad for developing good strokes, in contrary. I settled myself e.g. on a Submarine 2.0, which also isn't considered a speedy rubber. But boy, in combination with my Joo blade: speed and a lot of spin.

Keep up the good work! :up:

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 00:59 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Thanks for the heads up, Sir Lorre. It elates me knowing that you still read my blog despite the bad organization (and after I can't fulfill your curiosity of one's progress with the Dawei, sorry for that..).

Well I can't find another better word for you, Sir.. Hm.. Thank you :)
I am glad that you could find someone with a similar passion thus I could see a good example for myself ;)

Thanks again and it is awesome too to know that your forehand is getting better thus your playing level, Sir, gets even higher.

I will try to update and organize this blog better and hopefully with videos too. See you in the next post, Sirrr :up:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 16:43 

Blade: Tibhar CO-S-3
FH: Yinhe Mars v2 2.0
BH: Yinhe 955 0.8
Really enjoying your blog YY! It's great to know that there are other younger darksiders out there 8)
I also think that a vlog would be awesome too, a bit of visual demonstration would be really good!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 03:35 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Phazit wrote:
Really enjoying your blog YY! It's great to know that there are other younger darksiders out there 8)
I also think that a vlog would be awesome too, a bit of visual demonstration would be really good!

Why thank you, Sir Phazit :) Being different is always fun and challenging, it creates a unique 'pathway' in my mind too I guess ;)
I'm sorry for my passiveness replying in another thread. Much obliged for the compliments, Sir.

At the moment I am trying to work my 'visual demo' in the midst of my business hehe..

Thanks again!
Yosua

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6