OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Dan's Table Tennis Blog
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 12:41 
Super User

I have recently decided to take more of an active interest in Table Tennis once again and get back into training to improve my game. I thought a blog might be an interesting way to document my progress and experiences along the way, rather then just keeping it to myself I thought a few people might find it interesting here (or maybe not :P ).

Anyway, to start it off I thought I would begin with a bit of history about myself and my TT career so far. I started playing at my local club when I was 13 at the end of 2002, so I have now been playing for 9 years. My first year of competition was in 2003, playing in the TTSA winter competition, starting at the bottom in Div 8. Through my Junior years I was quite keen and I was practising between 3-6 times a week, and as such improved quite consistently. I played for SA at the Junior Nationals in 2004, 2005, and 2006. By 2006 I was probably playing the best I ever have, started a season in State League Reserve (played 3 games). Although this was also the time I lost interest and stopped training, which was probably caused by a few things (final year of high school, girlfriend, other interests, etc...)

From 2007 until 2009 I cruised along playing Div 2 during the Winter season and not really practising. Then in 2010 I started to have an extra hit just once a week and it made all the difference, rather then finishing in the middle of the grade, I finished top and went through quite comfortably with my team getting the premiership. I then moved up to Div 1 in 2011 and kept my 1 or 2 hits a week going, finished middle of the grade and got another premiership. This brings me up until now, I am currently playing 3-5 times a week, and competing in two competitions. In the NEH A Grade, which has been an interesting experience so far with some different players, and I'm starting to pick up some extra form. As well as my clubs Spring/Summer internal competition, which is more of a friendly competition for new players to get experience, where I haven't dropped a set yet. :up:

Now, throughout my blog I will write about my experiences in training, competitions, and other thoughts about Table Tennis. At times I might also vent my frustrations and if I happen to make anyone unhappy, I am open to mature discussion and debate, but if you want to whinge/complain/annoy me, don't bother reading my blog as I don't care about your opinions :P

Being this is a sort of training journal as well I suppose I should outline some sort of goals which I will be aiming for in my coming years of table tennis. I may add to this as time goes on, and some of my goals at times might seem rediculous, but I might as well aim high ;)

Short term goal (by 2013): Complete a full season in State League
Long term goal: Get ranked in the top 10 in the state. Seems well out of my reach at the moment, but it is probably the highest achievement I can still get in my Table Tennis career. So might as well aim for it.

Well, that is about it for now, hopefully some of you will find this interesting and I look forward to your comments and thoughts along the way :up:

Last edited by Dan2105 on 21 Feb 2012, 13:56, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 12:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good on your Dan2105! :up: :up: :up:

I look forwards to reading your progress, and perhaps I might even get a mention one day, when you thrash me in competition ;)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 12:55 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Good on your Dan2105! :up: :up: :up:

I look forwards to reading your progress, and perhaps I might even get a mention one day, when you thrash me in competition ;)

Thanks mate. I'll try to do a special write up if I end up playing you in competition. Unless I loose by an embarrassing margin :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 13:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

And if I lose by an embarrassing margin, you might find your post mysteriously missing :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 13:19 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
And if I lose by an embarrassing margin, you might find your post mysteriously missing :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahaha, if that happens, I'll make sure that I am kind when I do the write up ;) :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 13:40 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Yeah, good on you, Dan.

I think your blog might inspire me to start one of my own - geez, it's about time! :envy:

I do enjoy reading forum member's blogs, especially if they're concise, i.e. under 1000 words per post. However, I do wish I wasn't so self-constricted ... who knows, I may even get around to reading another member's particularly verbose blog (not naming names |( ) I do try, Reborn. Really, I do. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway, this is your blog, so no more mention of the others out there. Just like to say keep it up and I hope your dream of being a top 10 player is made a reality! :rock:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 14:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Nice to see another blog appearing on the horizon Dan. I'd be particularly interested to hear about a match with Haggisv. I'll look out for that one! Take notes! :devil: :lol:

Now Oskar, the way I figure it, if I can write it, you should be able to read it! :P And besides, not ALL my blog posts are over 1000 words. Occasionally, I can't be bothered writing all the details :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 14:23 

Regarding the match against haggisv - video, please! ;)

Regarding Reborn's blog - sorry, mate. I do read the shorter entries, but while I was away it seemed such an avalanche of words my eyes started to hurt. What I have read, I have really enjoyed. :up: I'll make more of an effort. Promise. Especially because it's pretty much what these blogs are meant to achieve.

GOOD ON YOU, BLOGGERS!

Now, back to you, Dan!

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 17:01 
Super User

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'll try to keep things interesting for you :P

Sounds like there is enough demand for an exhibition match between haggisv and myself, broadcast live onto OOAK :lol: I probably need a bit more practice first :rofl:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 17:05 

There is, dan, but pinning down haggisv for an OOAK video is like filming the Tassie tiger or a bunyip. Half your luck, mate! 8)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 17:51 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Dan2105 wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'll try to keep things interesting for you :P

Sounds like there is enough demand for an exhibition match between haggisv and myself, broadcast live onto OOAK :lol: I probably need a bit more practice first :rofl:

More chance for Oskar, me and foam and even Tassie to come over there and watch it live! :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 19:10 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
More chance for Oskar, me and foam and even Tassie to come over there and watch it live! :P :lol:

Haha, almost sounds like you are suggesting an OOAK tournament :P

Otherwise, I might just have to wait and see if I come across haggisv in competition in the coming seasons ;)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 19:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Dan2105 wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Haha, almost sounds like you are suggesting an OOAK tournament :P

Otherwise, I might just have to wait and see if I come across haggisv in competition in the coming seasons ;)

Believe me that has been suggested many. many times. The members here are so geographically dispersed though, its pretty unlikely to get many together.

Another forum I'm on held a BBQ last year for local members and we played best of 3's and doubles all day. Still had to travel 90 minutes to get there! :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 22:31 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Make a time and a place. Preferably some unused factory in an industrial estate, invite only, no cameras or phones and I'm sure haggisv myself, reb and many other mystical creatures will magically appear for the underground ooak tournament 8)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 23:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

foam wrote:
Make a time and a place. Preferably some unused factory in an industrial estate, invite only, no cameras or phones and I'm sure haggisv myself, reb and many other mystical creatures will magically appear for the underground ooak tournament 8)

Now you're talking! :up: :up: :up:

Sorry, we seem to be totally derailing your blog here Dan :( :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next