OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 03 May 2024, 16:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 12:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great effort to come back from 8-1!!!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 12:59 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Great effort to come back from 8-1!!!

Thanks haggisv, I was so relieved to scrape through in the end. I think I just had the mental edge over my opponent by having more experience and playing through situations like that before. :up:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 13:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You have the added pressure of expecting to win too! It's much easier being the underdog...

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 13:18 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
You have the added pressure of expecting to win too! It's much easier being the underdog...

True, although pressure is easily overcome with experience. I do enjoy a good underdog win though, unfortunately I don't get that opportunity in this competition :P

I have a good quote from my coach about pressure which he told me years ago, I think it came from his father who I believe was quite successful in AFL as a coach, it was something like "sportsmen don't know anything about pressure, pressure is when you are climbing out of a trench and someone is running towards you holding a rifle with a bayonet on the end". ;)

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 13:45 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:

Not when you are much stronger than most the competition and your confidence gets a boost from knowing it. ;) :lol: But if you are just keeping your head above water against most, then that makes the pressure higher, but I agree with what Dan's coach's Dad said... there isn't pressure in sport really if you compare with a life-death situation as in war.

Enjoyed reading your blog Dan. Its always nice to read another blog that gets into some match details. A good comeback there. I've had a few of these myself, and it always amazes me how we let ourselves fall in such a hole to begin with. Its satisfying when you dig yourself out, but there's always the chance you won't. :oops: :lol: I think this emphasises the need to focus well early on in the game, and on the flip-side (like you opponent last night), not to lose focus before you cross the finish line! |(

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 14:52 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Not when you are much stronger than most the competition and your confidence gets a boost from knowing it. ;) :lol: But if you are just keeping your head above water against most, then that makes the pressure higher, but I agree with what Dan's coach's Dad said... there isn't pressure in sport really if you compare with a life-death situation as in war.

Enjoyed reading your blog Dan. Its always nice to read another blog that gets into some match details. A good comeback there. I've had a few of these myself, and it always amazes me how we let ourselves fall in such a hole to begin with. Its satisfying when you dig yourself out, but there's always the chance you won't. :oops: :lol: I think this emphasises the need to focus well early on in the game, and on the flip-side (like you opponent last night), not to lose focus before you cross the finish line! |(

Thanks Reb, glad you enjoyed it. I think the most confusing thing about a huge comeback is wondering how I dug myself into such a hole to begin with :lol:

On another note, my new table has been delivered:

The sticker on it says "Very Fragile. Please Handle Like Eggs!", I don't know what sort of eggs they are talking about, but I have never had to use a sack truck and break into a sweat bringing a carton of eggs inside :lol: I am about an hour into assembling it now and it's time for a break. :P

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 16:51 
Super User

Two and a half hours later, the table is assembled and ready to use, and the instructions tried to tell me you needed two people, pffft :lol:

I have currently set it up inside as I still need to clean some stuff out of the garage :P (My fiancée might be in for a surprise when she gets home :lol: ) Definitely looking forward to getting the ball catch net, at the moment the curtain is kind of stopping most of the balls on the floor in front of it, might also need to invest in a fishing net of some sort to collect those stray balls. :up:

Time to start training hard 8)

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 17:01 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Looks good Dan! Nice space for robot training. I'd leave it there! :P

As for a ball collector, the best I have seen is if you can get a hold of one of those water cooler bottles. Cut the end off it and string some fishing line across the big end about 38mm apart in a grid. Then put a handle on it, like a broom handle. This lets you pick up multiple balls at once as the fishing line flexes to let the balls in but not out. Then tip upside down for balls to flow out the hole the water normally comes out. If you can't get one a laundry bucket will do same, just cut a hole in the bottom and string the line over the top.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 17:19 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Looks good Dan! Nice space for robot training. I'd leave it there! :P

As for a ball collector, the best I have seen is if you can get a hold of one of those water cooler bottles. Cut the end off it and string some fishing line across the big end about 38mm apart in a grid. Then put a handle on it, like a broom handle. This lets you pick up multiple balls at once as the fishing line flexes to let the balls in but not out. Then tip upside down for balls to flow out the hole the water normally comes out. If you can't get one a laundry bucket will do same, just cut a hole in the bottom and string the line over the top.

Yeah, it's not a bad spot at all. Although a bit more room to move back would be nice at times, but that will be solved when it moves to the garage :up:

That's not a bad idea, I think I have seen something like that before. So I need to decide between making something like that, and getting a net. The net might be easier as I can scoop up balls which are under the table, etc... :?:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 20:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Put a piece of cardboard folded in an A shape and closed off at both ends under the table and balls won't stay under there. The box the table came in comes in useful. ;)

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 16:17 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Put a piece of cardboard folded in an A shape and closed off at both ends under the table and balls won't stay under there. The box the table came in comes in useful. ;)

That's for the tips, seems like you have a few good ideas for setting up a great practice environment at home :up:

On another note, things are progressing with my custom blade from Ross, here is the first picture he sent through:

The handle halves were still being glued and it still needs a final sand and seal. Should be shipped next week :party:

I might need some assistance with naming it, I am never good with those sort of things :P

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 17:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

What's its composition and characteristics? That might help name it.

Initial thoughts are:

Southpaw - given the Aussie state you live in ;) and southpaws pack a punch (so good to have on your side)

Daniel Boon - your name combined with Daniel Boon being a "woodsman"

Another idea is to go along the musical line of blades like Accoustic and Violin with

L'Amour - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'amour_(venue) sounds like a rocking place for a blade to be named after!

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 19:40 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
What's its composition and characteristics? That might help name it.

It is actually very similar to my Acoustic, I am trying to imitate it but with a nice sized ST handle. So it is a 5 ply wood blade with: Limba - Limba - Ayous - Limba - Limba

So being it will be very close to an Acoustic, a musical themed name could be very relevant :P

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 20:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Dan, could there be a better name for it than L'Amour then? How much coincidence do you want? :P Its Limba and Ayous, as in the L'A of L'Amour. I don't even know why that name popped into my head. Divine intervention maybe? :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 21:26 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Nice blade you had made, what's the thickness on it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!