OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: ILPs adventure log
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 16:12 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

This thread is designed to share my adventures and expiriences. Comments and questions welcome.

Tonight at Harold Street I played with Peter as I usually do, except I used double inverted for the first time. I was playing better than I was with pips. I even used Peters FWP with Talon and 802-40 and found the Talon nearly unplayable. Needless to say I am going to stick with double inverted for a while, until like 1400-1600. Then I'm going to EJ like Silver did but to try out new styles and to see if I can keep a consistent rating playing all these different styles. Basically muck around. But the style I think I will have the most fun with is classic chopper.

Why? Well I tried chopping with Sriver FX both wings tonight and found my chop on both wings is better than with my defensive setup. I really got he hang of pushing aggressively like Silver advised me to. Although Peter was playing hardbat and I usually have a hard time playing against his Toxic 5 with PK OX, it was a breese playing against him with chops and pushes.

He even said my chop was better with inverted than it was with C8.

Its going well for me so far.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: ILPs adventure log
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 21:40 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

:party: :party: Gotta celebrate the new thread YEAH ! :party: :party:

Just cool Pie :D
Keep them coming !

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 22:05 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

You seem to enjoy TT - why do you have no aims to become an advanced player? You are young and if you trained diligently you could get to a decent standard.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 10:02 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

I just muck around way too much.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 11:01 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

You can't be paying a coach or having him coach you for free (whichever is the case) with an attitude like that. If you try 100% in your training and show your appreciation for the time and effort he's putting into you then he will also put in more effort with you. There's nothing worse than trying to coach someone that's only half interested in the game, it makes for a bored and frustrated coach.

You can see in your videos that you get upset more and more with each ball you miss, trying to correct your strokes with air swings afterwards and then kind of half heartedly continue on with the drills. You should cut all that out and just get on with hitting balls and do it with some intensity, there's no need to get down about missing balls in table tennis all you need to do is hit as many balls as you can in the time you have available. The more balls you hit the better player you will be, so long as you are hitting them you are improving, it's 100% certain.

Something to think about :)

intensity

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 12:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
If I was your coach, I don't think I'd be your coach for long.... unless I was slugging your parents some very BIG BUCKS!! :devil:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 15:14 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

I have changed my attitude. Its still relaxed but more focused. I also have a better stance.

Played a 1400ish player tonight and got a game through chopping, yes chopping. He had real problems with backspin.

Saw a Defence Alpha and a Liu Shiwen ZLC.

One of the guys I played laughed after a few points and said "I was expecting pips!"

Took my dad to he club and he was horrible. He has a stance like Thomas Keinath, moves just about never and has a backhand stroke like an anti swipe. Oh well, I hope I can work it out of him. He never listens to me though, and his finger keeps slipping up so he almost has a basement player grip. I keep telling him but he keeps getting mad at me for my insistence, saying "its what feels natural for me."

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 15:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Sounds like a "Like Father, Like Son" scenario! :lol: Just out of interest...does your Dad like pie too? :rofl: :rofl:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011, 16:52 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Yes he does. Speaking of pie, Thanksgiving for whatever reason is coming up.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 06:53 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Last night played more...Used a Yasaka Ma Lin extra offensive with HPA and Genius...Almost unplayable until I started extreme brush looping on the FH. Blade is fast. Not my level. FL handle wings are uncomfortable. Genius is rather hard, like a solid 37 degrees Harder than Baracuda, but softer than H3. HPA felt great for the BH. HPA is a great rubber, I may start using it on my BH if I get way better. But Sriver FX still beats it in terms of durability. The YEO felt nice too but I would have sanded the wings down a bit.

Used Peters TBS with 802-40 and T05...Ugh. Too heavy. My setup now is like 160g. Makes me wonder If I'm going to find a suitable manufactured blade that is light, thin and fast with balsa. Maybe something Giant Dragon...

Got asked if I really did take a game off Ky. Ky is this 1400 like guy who tries to smash everything. Some TIBHAR blade with nimbus and sinus. I did take a game off him chopping.

Figured out that running around the court helps my game a bit before each match.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 07:48 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
ilikepie wrote:
Almost unplayable until I started extreme brush looping on the FH.

ilikepie, please don't take offense at this but I've seen your video of you training and I've read your comments on how you practice and I read your comments about equipment and how it performs and then I read this sentence above and you talk about extreme brush looping. And then next sentency you say "Not my level."

I struggle to put the two together. To extreme brush loop is a very hard shot to play and requires excellent timing and good concentration on the ball and movement and positioning and then I think back to watching you in your videos and the inexperience you openly admit you have in playing table tennis in your written posts and well I struggle to put the two together. It's almost like it's a different person talking when describing what eqipment can and can't do. Can you extreme brush loop?

Please note I'm not saying only quality players should review table tennis equipment or compare it but the way you describe it and the type of shot you describe as playing to get the performance you talk about - extreme brush loop that you play for it to become more controllable - doesn't go together in my mind. :)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 08:02 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
+1

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 08:20 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I thought exactly the same thing debater - both with the most recent post and with other of ilikepies comments on equipment. At the level he plays i dont see how he can make the judgements on equipment that he does.

Also, as has been mentioned before, ilikepie spends all his time obsessing about equipment (eg his latest post) when in fact equipment will have ABSOLUTELY ZERO effect on his game at present. Ilikepie you need to focus on learning how to play first and worry about equipment sometime around 2014.

Like debater i mean no offence but you do need to leave the fantasy world of equipment and learn how to play. :)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 18:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

While I pretty much agree with all of this, ILP is practicing and training, as shown in his vids. While he has a long way to go, it is his (and his parents) choice whether he dabbles around in equipment or not. We can advise him (and all have done so), but in the end if he enjoys exploring the equipment world as a secondary "hobby" element to TT, there is nothing wrong with that. It may hurt his game, but eventually he will learn this, and if he seriously wants to improve a lot more quickly, he will settle on what suits. While I am concerned that ILP may give poor advice on the forum due to his lack of experience, he would not be the first to do so. We all know trusting forum reviews carries a certain risk for many possible flawed basis'. So I don't think we need to continually tell ILP to leave equipment alone. Its been said, he clearly doesn't wish to (although he has taken advice and returned to a double inverted setup) as he obviously enjoys exploring the equipment world for now and enjoys talking about it on the forum. We have quite a few youngsters here that like to talk about equipment, although most of them ask more questions, than making statements about equipment. If you disagree with something ILP writes about equipment, you have the option to state your own opinion on the forum, just as you do at any time, as long as its done within forum policies. ;)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 18:40 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Yep it's hard to find kids that are keen to play the game, so it's great to see one that loves it like ilp does. However I play at a reasonable level similar to most the older better players on here, I also have a YEO and it's too fast for me with fast rubber and too low dwell to use with a slower rubber. That's a very demanding and very high level blade perfect for Ma Lin on the longer cpen version with heavily bootest TG2 but not so good for anyone else.

It's easy to get a good thin balsa blade to suit your game and level, you just go and buy the TSP balsa 3.5 OR the TSP 4.5 but I'd recommend the 3.5 for starters since the 4.5 is still fairly fast. You'd play 100 times better with the 3.5 than a YEO

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!