OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: ILPs adventure log
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 16:06 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Actually my plan was to just get a break of double inverted for a week, as my coach cancelled the last session as he had some last minute shopping to do

Now I have my inverted setup ready to play

And I have been playing in tournaments weekly at the club (losing, but less so

hookshot wrote:
I coach for free so I have strict requirements for my students. I pick the equipment. Your coach is interested in the money. So he does not care as much if you keep changing even to your own disadvantage. My question is, how much consideration do you give to the people paying for your lessons? Do you feel an obligation to make the most use of the lessons? :)

Yes I do. But sometimes I just can't feel what I am doing...like the last session shown on here. I just couldn't hit for more than ten times, which I know I'm capable of. Thats when I switch it up a bit for a little. Then I go back. Usually it works.

Man...chopping with SST is really easy

So is pushing

And the blue sponge...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 15:24 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Played tonight for three hours with a really good player-definitely lower than 2000, but higher than say some 1400 players I've played.

I took a game off him...chopping.

I really like the SST 755 setup. It just really works.

You can literally do anything with 755 1.0. Even the hit has a high percentage. The chop can be controlled, and the chop on he run is fine. Chop blocking is easy too. Blocking against topspin is easy. This is a good pip.

SST is great chopping rubber. It has a good amount of tack to make short play and services spinny, but the sponge is hard enough to make a good smash once in a while.

He had some CTT carbon blade with a black handle that was sanded down and vibrated like a PG2 with 802-40 and some sort of Genius on the forehand.

He has a very loopy loop and a rocket backhand. I would say his serves are okay.

Hes more consistant than any other player at the club, save the Chinese Cpen masters and Chinese Style shakehand loopers who are consistantly 1800-2100.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 15:51 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Sounds good pie. Keep working. If chopping fits you keep it. 755 is a good rubber. Easy to play. Unless you got a fast motion though not too much chop... Enough though. Its more for hitting, but if you play kinda an all round game then it may fit. I may go back to it if dtecs doesn't work...

As far as chopping everything thats a difficult technique to learn due to the lack of chop coaches in the states, but you are young. You can do it if you really want.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 10:13 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Yea, 755 is pretty much an allround game oriented pip.

The SST is really shiny. You can almost use it as a mirror...

I heard that Pushblocker, who also uses SST, was told by a ref or a DQer person that his bat was okay, but he should change his SST for something duller.

The rules do state that the rubbers should be matt. So SST is a bit of a rule breaker.

Ok with me, I already use rubber cement.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2012, 12:31 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Progress Report

Lost to my dad the first time today. Probably because I haven't had a proper training session in over a month.

Had my first training session (regrettably after my loss to my dad) in a month.

Discovered some things: I am afraid to step around and use my Fh on my BH side because recent;y I ave ben playing only in my driveway and my driveway is a bit small, preventing me from stepping around.

My loop against underspin has improved.

I get tired a lot more easy now.

And my footwork really really sucks.

But the good thing is that I'm still steadily improving...Hopefully...

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 20:05 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

A WEEK IN VIETNAM

Im spending my Spring Break cruising around Vietnam, which was where my sister was born, and Korea, which is where Im from.

On the Korean airline we traveled to Vietnam in, I had to explain to all the Korean staff that I don't speak an ounce of Korean.

So far Ive only had half a week in Vietnam, namely in Ha Noi and Hoi An.

Walking is a hazard to life. Sometimes there are so many scooters and Motor Bikes in the road you can't see the other side. My sister is super scared kf the roads and avoids them like the plague.

The food is very good, very fresh and cheap.

Everything is cheap.

A bamboo root carving that takes 3 days to carve costs 4 USD.

I got a sheet of Mark V and Anti Power for 40 USD total. I'll put them on my old ressurected R*1. Unfortunately the store I went to didn't have any Feint OX, which was what I was looking for in the first place.

Mark V smells horrible, like a Hurricane. I have to keep it packed away...

They had no Phantom 007, but some Phantom 008. But I would have preferred the 007. But still, the 008 has a cool neon green sponge...

The table tennis club I went too was nice, but the floor was so wet. My shoes were like ice skates

Everyone in the club was using a Sardius, Schlager Carbon or some sort of fast composite. Thy have only Butterfly, YASAKA and some DONIC. There were no penholders. Average UATT level I would guess is 1800.

Its good it isn't too hot, like Hiroshima in the summer. But it is hotter in Hoi An than in Ha Noi. My eyes dry outfast, and I have to keep rubbing water in them to keep comfortable.

We got a sleeper train but got ripped off because my mom paid for a luxury car but instead we got cramped into a small compartment with a window and some prison like beds. But all in all it was rather comfortable and it had air conditioning. So I won't complain.

More to come, haven't reached Korea yet. Hopefully get to Nexy HQ...

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2012, 15:12 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Got 2nd place in the under 900s!

I got a trophy! The only things that I've ever won from competition is 25 dollars form a previous tournament and a 2nd place trophy for the Pinewood Derby. Yes, I used to be a cubscout :D

And I would have gotten first had it not been 9:30. My feet and legs were killing me, and I was tired. Next time, definitely next time.

The guys that do these tournaments don't do a very good of of coordinating these things. The under 900s were supposed to start at 4; they started at 6! And they continued on to like 10 pm

Other notable activity is that I got through the under 1400 qualifiers, but lost in the playoffs.

Right now I'm currently using a XIOM Fuga st with Skyline 3 Neo black and C8 OX red. It feels alright. I attack forehand and block/chop backhand... Working well for me. Inverted backhand is just too tiring.

Another thought; I tried someones Hurricane 3 Neo, but even though it was on a slower blade (STIGA premade) I felt it was so much faster and bouncier than my Skylne 3 Neo. I think that its the difference in sponge hardness.

Another thing, I laughed when I heard this: "Dude, you should see my Ludeack! Its sooo gooooood, I beat everyone with it." I wish I could talk like that to people. Unfortunately to most, they don't know what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2012, 19:33 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
congratulations! Second place in any event is difficult to attain because of all the ringers or guys who haven't played in a tournament in 3 years. Also good job moving on in a higher event. I assume you probably were the third seed and if there were 4 players you had to win some matches back to back with no rest.

If you think that H3 is faster than your skyline stick with your combination. Obviously you found something that works for you currently so lets see if you can improve upon that. Hope you win next time:)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2012, 03:53 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

tabesamis wrote:
congratulations! Second place in any event is difficult to attain because of all the ringers or guys who haven't played in a tournament in 3 years. Also good job moving on in a higher event. I assume you probably were the third seed and if there were 4 players you had to win some matches back to back with no rest.

If you think that H3 is faster than your skyline stick with your combination. Obviously you found something that works for you currently so lets see if you can improve upon that. Hope you win next time:)

Thanks! The under 1400s were in the morning, so I had an easier time with them. I had a good breakfast of eggs, potatoes and bacon :up:

Yes, I was the third seed, with a rating of 809. The others were 1200 and 1100, with an unrated guy. The 1100 went down easily to my pips. The 1200 I had a lot more trouble with, as he could handle my pips easier and could lob my forehand loops. I beat him 3-2... Whew! What a workout...

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2012, 07:59 
Horse Hockey!

:clap:

Beating those under-rated and unrated players at that level can be tough! I remember my first tournament when I was unrated. Eight players in the section and only one was rated (at about 1000). So even though I only lost one game (to that sole rated player) my initial rating was about 200! I played one kid who was about 6 or 7 who had one shot--he looped almost everything within his reach. Talk about nerves--I hate playing little kids! (I've learned since to have no mercy since they have no mercy on me!)

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 16:12 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Pie, you are improving. Keep practicing!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 06:49 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

I really need to stop moving my head when I'm swinging away, its just costing me too many points in a match. My service also needs buffing, as I missed about 10 serves in a recent match...

One of the local coaches in my area gave a Schlager Carbon with T05 FH and Nimbus BH to a kid rated around 600. Apparently he likes it, but hopefully he'll stop using it when he realizes he can't control the ball at all.

Apparently Will Shortz (the guy who did a bunch of videos on About.Com) is coming to Portland, for some sort of a crossword puzzle convention. He'll be stopping by my usual club tomorrow and Friday at around 5:00.

It would be interesting to meet him.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 16:41 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Sooo... Today, a high level player (2200) wanted to look at my racket... And he advised me to switch to softer pips, specifically RITC 755... Opinions?

On a side note... I got a severe bout of EJ, and bought a Pg2...

Pg2 VS Fuga:

Fuga is stiffer, harder. Pg2 has more kick when topspinning. Pg2 is better for forehand chop. Fuga is better for long pips chop. I get the impression I can't topspin hard enough to get the best out of the Fuga, but I dearly love Koto/Spruce so I got a Pg2. I hope I don't switch anytime soon...

On a second note, I lost in the semis of a under 1200 to an underrated power player. I played like crap, lost 3-0... Because of my crappy footwork. I relied too much on my pimples, which I couldn't use well enough against him.

Also I recently lost to a 1600 penhold/sp fh smasher 3-0, but actually got my forehand going. My footwork was better as well. (maybe because I got a better warmup with the penhold guy)

Fighting EJ symptoms... Even though I just bought something.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 03:45 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
whats up man....

first thing....

2200 is not high level enough to tell you what equipment you should use for your game....plus c and f III is softer and longer then 755 so this proves my point that this player may not know enough...

if you want to ej thats fine, but the quickest way to stop ejing is to play enough so that if u want to switch to something new you cant because if you did it would take away from your playing time.

i can suggest equipment for you but not on a personal level because i dont know how you play.

i know you want to play pips....and that's cool but you have to analyze what type of pip game you want to play.

pick a pip, it doesnt matter really unless you get to a national level what pip you use....and by national i mean USA olympic standard.....our olympian pierre luc-hinse lost to a 60 year old chopper with dawei 388d-1 0.5 sponge.

dont worry about soft or hard or spinny or not spinny, or wierd or wobbles or WHAT EVER.....

pick one....

decide what you want to do with it....chop? then add a 0.5-1.0mm sponge and chop 10 on the table in a row.....

hit and play close to the table...play with OX and chop block and hit backspin 10 times in a row each...

there is no rubber that does all of these things at an equal standard....so stop looking for one

it doesn't matter if its spinny or not spinny, it doesn't matter if you opponent can return it in his sleep, it doesnt matter if it has reversal or anything.....if it goes on the table then your alllllll good....if you decide to EJ and discover that one pip gives you more spin then the next....guess what.....thats not gonna make you win games, its just going to make you loose all the feel you had from the previous pip....which is a terrible trade off.

never ever trade new and shiny for comfortable and complete when it comes to pips...

take a defensive blade (u have a joo se hyuk? or a defence II already dont you?) and put those pips on it....don't take them off EVER....i don't care if it starts flopping off your blade or every single pip is torn at the base....unless the rubber becomes unplayable....dont change it

put on a forehand rubber....doesn't matter what, but don't change it untill it wears out....every shot can be done with every rubber

and practice blocking pushing and looping....

NOT chopping.....forehand chopping is fun and extremely effective up to world class levels, but its an advance skill that about 3 coaches in the world teach......just because you can hack at the ball with a slow rubber and make it land on the table does not mean its a good forehand chop.

blocking and looping on the forehand is all you will ever need and its way less frustrating....

i know you have the drive man....keep up the practice....

(sorry i got on a bit of a rant there haha, havent had a long post in a long time)

always remember, when in war, who are you going to be afraid of....somebody that has his armour all polished and shiny atop a clean horse holding a flag? or a gruff silent war torn soldier who has blood stains and dents all over his armor, holding a sword that looks like an extension of his arm, who could cut off your eyelashes without a thought and you wouldnt see him move....

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 04:45 

Amen. :angel:

Forehand: Palio CK531A 0.7mm
Backhand: 729 OEM 2.1mm
USATT: 1547

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!