OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 12:25 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Dan2105 wrote:
Red_lion wrote:
... is there such a thing as "private tourney"?.

Only in underground illegal Table Tennis clubs that we aren't meant to talk about ;)

Yes, Dan ... you know the consequences!

1) You'll get no :pizza:
2) Absolutely no :^:
3) And, worst of all, a smack on the :mooning:

So, no more talk about the :punch: club!

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 12:31 

Red_lion wrote:
I'm one of those video conscious individual :lol: . I play better without the camera rolling.
Back to topic, I think it's ok to post video without naming players and making offensive remarks on a public tournament ( is there such a thing as "private tourney"? ).

There's that double-edged sword. You can't play with the camera rolling, but being able to watch yourself play is so valuable. I hate to bring up music again, but the only way I bettered my performance was to watch myself. No, I'm not narcissistic (as much as my partner might think so)! :*

I think the point is that once we break through our self-consciousness we can truly step up to that next level. There's only so much we can learn from the views of other people - coaches included.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 12:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think all the blogs here so far are actually fine... I have no trouble reading them, and very little personal information is given out. Even when some names are mentioned, it's unlikely to be a problem as most people use comment sense.
I think it becomes more of an issue when pics or vids are concerned, as it's much more likely to embarrass people, so a little more tact is required.

I think it's worth discussing, but I don't think we need to make rules or anything...discussing it just helps make people aware of it.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 12:40 

Retriever wrote:
Are we anonymous in our unanimity, or unanimous in our anonymity?

At this stage, a little bit of both, I'm afraid.

I think part of the solution, and quite easy to achieve, is to disguise actual names. So, John Smith could be JS or The Reaper. As long as it is consistent, because some of us do get involved in these game discussions, that's okay. It seems to work on this forum and, I suppose, it's the least we can do to prevent disharmony.

Yeah, so, as haggisv suggests, let's have no rules (or at least keep them to a bear :hug: minimum). And, perhaps, we (meaning, me) can over-think these things.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 13:46 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I think I may have the longest running blog here, just by a bit :lol: And I have always kept names out of it, but struggled a little with having to type "my younger teamy" and "my older teamy" 200 times per post :sweat: So I resorted to using first initials only, after a long time of doing the former (so now there is more actual content I think :rofl: ).

As far as posting vids and pics goes, I certainly think people need to give their permission. We cannot be the judge of what impact it may have on another person to have their image appear online. How would you know if someone had a stalker, or if they had left another life behind they wanted to forget that could be inadvertently dug up by a chance viewing of them online? That's just a couple of examples I can think of where it could be damaging, but there could be 1000's of other possibilities we cannot think of. Not just that they don't like their TT skills shown to strangers, it could be more serious, and we would never necessarily know. I think prudential action is always the best action here.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 14:00 

Respect is a key factor, but 1) they are playing in a public arena and, therefore, already open to being discovered, and 2) even if they appear on a video (names disguised or omitted), they'll always be strangers to the viewer, unless they recognise them as old school or work collegues.

I really think if a person is either self-conscious or paranoid, then why should others have to suffer? I say, get over it. Okay, I'll step back a bit and remind myself to be respectful and courteous, but we now live in the age of the Internet and must learn and accept that if you google your name chances are that part of you or your history will be revealed.

This issue/debate has parallels with being photographed in the street. You know the score - you see a guy taking photos and you suspect you might be in one of them and it makes you think, 'What's my right in all of this?'

Well, the simple answer is very little. You are in a public arena and, therefore, susceptible to being captured on film. Your local government does this 24/7 in most public places you visit, so why should an innocent picture-taker feel he has less rights. Okay, there is a law protecting you from being used commercially or in some derogatory way, but the fact is that you 'signed' on the dotted line when you left your house. Think about how much the paparazzi get away with and you get the jist.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 15:25 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I think a lot of people are embarrassed about looking bad when others post video of them. Especially since certain players are known for editing out their bad points, thus making the opponent look like a klutz who loses point after point. Also people mostly post their own wins, so the "B" side of the video is generally not presented in a good light.

I think it's acceptable to shoot video at a public tournament and post it, but within the sanctity of your home or club you should get permission.

As far as posting names, it's all public record from an official tournament or league so there shouldn't be any problem if you choose to do names. If it's a private practice match in your club you should probably not mention names.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 15:29 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I think "public" within a club, is not the same as "public" on the internet. There's a big difference to having your name where a couple of hundred people might see it, to where many thousand may.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 21:32 

Any hesitancy on my part for allowing videos to be posted online would be due to the nastiness of some online forums (not this one :rofl: ). I have seen people post videos online only to see conversations dwell on how they would not be a 1400 in California. I have not figured out if the nastiness is due to online forum habits or ping pong culture.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 15:38 
Super User

magister wrote:
Any hesitancy on my part for allowing videos to be posted online would be due to the nastiness of some online forums (not this one :rofl: ). I have seen people post videos online only to see conversations dwell on how they would not be a 1400 in California. I have not figured out if the nastiness is due to online forum habits or ping pong culture.

I think that mostly comes down to online forum habits rather then table tennis culture. People tend to say things online that they wouldn't in real life as they have the protection of anonymity and hiding behind their computer screen. Luckily there are still some communities out there which don't have these types of keyboard warriors. :P

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 04:59 

Regarding video, there have been many cases of people filming competitions and posting them here. A recent example involved the Aussie Veterans competition in Adelaide. Was permission sought for that? Or was it a case of it being a 'really' public affair and, therefore, excluded from the normal need to ask this permission?

When I start blogging about my games, I'll use initials of player's names mainly for the sake of shorthand.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 05:13 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Quote:
When I start blogging about my games, I'll use initials of player's names mainly for the sake of shorthand.

Why not just tell the players that you are writing a "blog" on a table tennis forum and ask if they mind if you either use their initials, first name, full name or would prefer not to be written about at all.

I have filmed a number of different types of videos for our table tennis association. It doens't matter if it's a public event, or a public venue, one thing you must always be wary of, is filming children playing. Regarding championships or league matches, I ask "before" filming and explain what I'll use the footage for. If someone objects I don't film at all. It's that simple. Only on two occasions has someone asked me not to film. Once was because they didn't want to be seen on the internet and once because I'd filmed the person in the past and they'd lost and they were supersticious. Ironically, the final I would have filmed if they let me, they won.

Something to bear in mind. If you don't ask and someone objects ,you may have already got your video out on the internet but the next time you come to film or write about an event or match, any good will you had with players will have gone out of the window.

If you're playing in a tournement I'd ask the tournement organiser first and if they said filming etc was ok I'd still ask my oponent. I think the same can be extended to blogs. Just ask, explain what and why you're doing it and take it from there. I'm sure an amicable agreement can be reached and one that takes the guess work out of what you can and can't say.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 08:11 

Debater wrote:
Why not just tell the players that you are writing a "blog" on a table tennis forum and ask if they mind if you either use their initials, first name, full name or would prefer not to be written about at all.

Something to bear in mind. If you don't ask and someone objects ,you may have already got your video out on the internet but the next time you come to film or write about an event or match, any good will you had with players will have gone out of the window.

If you're playing in a tournement I'd ask the tournement organiser first and if they said filming etc was ok I'd still ask my oponent. I think the same can be extended to blogs. Just ask, explain what and why you're doing it and take it from there. I'm sure an amicable agreement can be reached and one that takes the guess work out of what you can and can't say.

I think your absolutely right, Debater. I don't think anyone has the right to act like an arrogant journalist willing to step on toes to cover a story. I think TT players (and most people) are kind and thoughtful folk. I would always ask, even my friends, if it was okay to include them in something I was going to write. I think the key is to remain sober about this issue, meaning that we should never lose sight of why we're doing it in the first place. :up: