OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 181  Next
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 15:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
haggisv wrote:
I've used the Tackiness Drive (and Chop) before as well, although it was a long time ago. I could never get as much spin on my serves as i can with tacky rubbers, and since this has always been an important part of my game, I gave it up.

Absolutely true. Big drop-off in serving. :(

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 23:49 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
He's also the current world champion in his age group. Too bad that style is disappearing from mainstream table tennis.

Indeed, was pleased for him to win at Hohhot. As well as being a fine player he is a very nice guy.

Yasaka Single Ply Hinoki Cpen (8mm) - Yasaka Original Soft (1.0mm)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 00:06 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Why did you change?

I basically tried it on a whim, like I did the Yasaka Original today, and it just clicked. I've never found a forehand rubber that I really and truly liked on the problematically slow Neubauer Barricade until I tried this.

Try Yasaka Original XHG sometime if you have opportunity. Bit thicker sponge (1.6mm XHG vs 1.0mm Original) to add a bit more pace.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 17:17 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Liu Song, the favorite pro player of myself and a few other forum members, will be playing for Team Joola at the North American Team Championships this weekend in Baltimore. I can't be there in person, but the good news is they will be streaming featured matches on http://www.natabletennis.com on Friday afternoon/evening, Saturday, and Sunday.

Quite a number of recognizable names among the entries including a rare appearance by former world top 20 Eric Boggan.

Here are the team lineups: http://www.natabletennis.com/tournament ... ay_order=1

I hope YouTubers will shoot some good video of this event.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2011-11-25 at 2.34.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2011-11-25 at 2.34.37 AM.png [ 289.5 KiB | Viewed 4115 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 17:10 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Beautiful camera angles on these ETTA videos. It really makes the game more 3-dimensional than the flat angle the ITTF uses.

Also, what's up with that floor color?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 17:55 
Stir Crazy

mynamenotbob wrote:
Beautiful camera angles on these ETTA videos. It really makes the game more 3-dimensional than the flat angle the ITTF uses.

I need to be far more conditional in my praise: some of the camera angles are beautiful. The rest are just plain annoying. :@ :@ :@

For example, in Ding Ning vs Joanna Parker, the first point (11 seconds) is from so far away we may as well be sitting in the crowd; then the angle changes to the "beautiful camera angle" - close enough to appreciate the action in the second point (12-27 seconds) and still see all of the movement of the players and their strokes; then it changes again for the third point (25-44 seconds) to too close to see all of the movement - if that angle had been used for the fourth point, where Parker defended at distance from the table, she would have been out of shot for most of the point; then you get the idiocy at 54-64 seconds where half the table isn't even visible!!! :headbang: What is the point of that? In both games there are extended points where it's virtually one side of the table only! I thought TT was played by two players! :headbang:

Another thing that annoys me is that the angle is constantly changing - I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to watch sport I view it all from one spot; I'm allocated a seat, or I choose a vantage point and I stay there. I certainly don't say, "Well I'll wach the first point from here, and the second point from there, and then I'll think about finding somewhere else." Chopping and changing the zoom or angle is just people in the control room who need to understand that we're interested in the game, not in their cleverness with camera angles. And when I do find a spot, it's usually higher than those used in these clips - I want to see more than just the back of the player closest to the camera.

PLUS, no scores are shown! :@ How in the name of all that is holy are we supposed to understand what is going on?

As much I appreciate the depth the diagonal angle gives, what is in these clips is not the answer.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 18:48 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

The perfect angle is this one. The close in shots would be good for replays, but obviously would not work during live play. The far away shot doesn't work.

The important thing is from this angle the viewer can get much better appreciation for the speed, height and spin on the ball, as well as the movement of the players.

The scoreboard would be easy to add.

Also for games with lefties, you would need to shift to a camera to the other side. As we saw in the women's game, the action was often blocked by Ding Ning.

To me, the above angle is much preferable to the ITTF's standard far-away flat angle perspective where the ball (and most backhand shots) will often blocked from view by the player in the forecourt:

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 23:29 
Super User

Interesting, I much prefer the from behind shot. Perhaps I am just accustomed to that view.

Agree floor colour is poor choice.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 08:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Had a lot of fun watching the NA Teams tournament today on http://www.natabletennis.com. They've been mainly showing the matches of Team Joola, which is fine with me since Liu Song and Lin Ju are both long pips players. The best match was between Song Liu and pip/anti killer girl Wu Yue, whom you might remember crushed Amelie Solja twice at the U.S. Open. Wu won the first two games, and Song had to fight hard to take the last three. Very exciting and satisfying revenge for the LP community. :party: :party: :party:

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 12:03 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Last two sets from the above-mentioned match. Finally, near perfect camera work. Good mix of my favorite angle (repositioned for lefthander and righthander as necessary) and the angle favored by Kryptos/Tassie. Almost enough to make you forget that world top 100 rated Liu Song almost lost to the world #193 rated female player.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 11:53 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Got this image in my email. Not much court space and not a great surface for footwork.

Attachments:
beach.gif
beach.gif [ 97.66 KiB | Viewed 3931 times ]

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 12:15 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

I think there's a table down there somewhere. Why do they keep the fans so far away? And why no seats on the sides? Table tennis is a game meant to be seen closeup! No wonder they have attendance problems. A bigger ball won't help this situation.

Attachments:
ittfgrandfinals.gif
ittfgrandfinals.gif [ 127.21 KiB | Viewed 3924 times ]

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 12:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mynamenotbob wrote:
I think there's a table down there somewhere. Why do they keep the fans so far away? And why no seats on the sides? Table tennis is a game meant to be seen closeup! No wonder they have attendance problems. A bigger ball won't help this situation.

Why would you even want to go and see that? Better take a vid camera with a 100x optical zoom and a 7 inch screen on it to see the action AND sit out to the far right of the table :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 12:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mynamenotbob wrote:
Last two sets from the above-mentioned match. Finally, near perfect camera work. Good mix of my favorite angle (repositioned for lefthander and righthander as necessary) and the angle favored by Kryptos/Tassie. Almost enough to make you forget that world top 100 rated Liu Song almost lost to the world #193 rated female player.

I have watched this over and over and I cannot understand how Lui Song wins the point at about 10.45 when he nets it. I can't see what Wu Yue can have done wrong to award him the point. It would have made her 7-5 up and changed the dynamics of the set and therefore the match result could have been different. Instead the score went to 6 all. What am I missing?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 12:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It's probably not a TT venue...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 181  Next