OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: GrumpyJoes adventures
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 18:28 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Second time out with the D.tecs this morning.

My rallies are going longer than I like. I am finding they can loop at least two to three more time against my chops before they have to push. They couldn't do that against my P1r. I don't know if the lack of spin on my chops will offset the ability for me to push heavy. Still fast. I can control it ok but still do not care for the speed. I'm going to keep an open mind on this LP. I will use them till Jan. One thing I did notice is the D.tecs are a lot more forgiving.

Played three different player today. First was a 1300 looper. Very nice guy that I play a lot. He has only been playing maybe a year. Maybe two tourneys under his belt so he his under rated. I would say closer to 1600. Beat him 3-0. Second guy is I think right around 1900. Loops off both sides. Lost duece in the 5th. Third was a guy that has played since the 70s. SP on his BH and twidles a lot. He is about 1750. Won 3-0. Has some very nice slow loops close to the edge. His ball would bounce very high and I could do a line drive chop with a lot of control. That was nice. I will have to try that with P1r sometime.

Tried some blocking and wasn't too crazy about it. I don't know. Maybe because I was trying to SuperBlock it? Going to try and go again this Monday and Thursday.

My feet feel better after I put some arch supports in my shoes.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 08:38 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Well after three outings and about 15 matches. I don't D.tecs well be a good match foot my game. Its a good rubber, just not for me. Went back to P1r with sponge and feel sooooo much more comfortable. I just need to work on some other things now.I got some arch supports so my feet feel better.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 11:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Good to see you start a blog Joe, I look forward to reading the adventures of GJ! :up:

Good to see you're getting the feet sorted! ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 11:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Was that Dtec in OX, vs p1-r with sponge?

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 14:44 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I had a sheet of P1r in OX and a sheet of the D.tecs in OX. Used both for about 3 days and 15 matches each. The D.tecs did block better and was a lot more forgiving. But I just never felt comfortable using it. It didn't fit my game. The P1r had more spin OX vs OX. I'm not made of money so I'm not going out and buying the D.tecs with sponge. I don't think it would be worth my time. I have a few things I need to work on with my game so I think I going to stop with the EJing and get back to technique and tactics. I'm a chopper. Very rarely do I ever attack with LP. And yes I'm staying with 1.3 sponge on the P1r.

I do have a sheet of DHS Hurricane 3 coming soon. I don't know why. Maybe some last minute EJ bug just bite me.

More coming soon.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 10:26 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I am amazed at how differently a blade can act with a sheet of rubber. Put the DHS Hurricane 3 on and my Victas Koji blade just went straight to hell. Chop was different. So was the whole feel of the bat. I did like the way I could put some serious backspin on a FH chop. But the overall experience was not good. Back to the Rakza 7. Yep, that feels better.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 13:06 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Its funny how pips feel changes with a different inverted rubber. Glad you chose the P1r. Maybe if you come to the US open in Grand Rapids we'll get to play.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 06:17 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Have you ever used C8 with sponge? Its rather cheap, and in OX it can block really well.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 10:10 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Its been awhile sense I've been here. Thought I might do some updating. The equipment you see in my Sig is pretty much what I've been using for awhile now. I guess I'm pretty happy with it. I do have a sheet of Nittaku Hammond Pro Bata in 1.9-2.2 sponge coming this week.

In the years sense I made the move to a more modern chopping style, I have fallen away from an attacking FH. I have practiced so much to get a BH chopping game that my FH totally went away. I can still keep the ball on the table but don't have that "when you need it" FH shot. In warm up when I'm with friends I can do a hook shot, a fade, and a nice (not great) but nice loop. But put me in a match I miss the ball, get my feet screwed up, and all around look like a dork trying to hit the ball. I have been working on playing more relaxed but something just clicks and all hell breaks loose. I end up hitting the ball instead of looping like I should. I have a friend that is willing to work with me. I know it's going to be an up hill battle because I'm stuck with that muscle memory thing. Flat hitting for so long it's going to very hard to do anything but.

I will try to post something each week to and see if there is any change.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 14:04 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
GrumpyJoe wrote:
I end up hitting the ball instead of looping like I should.

So I'm not the only one with that problem??? I miss a lot of points simply from not enough topspin because I was doing a flat hitting stroke. :headbang:

I feel your pain. Let me know when you find the cure! :D

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 14:24 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
GrumpyJoe wrote:
I am amazed at how differently a blade can act with a sheet of rubber. Put the DHS Hurricane 3 on and my Victas Koji blade just went straight to hell. Chop was different. So was the whole feel of the bat. I did like the way I could put some serious backspin on a FH chop. But the overall experience was not good. Back to the Rakza 7. Yep, that feels better.

Darned Tootin right you is.

Especially H3 or hard sponged IQ. The vibraty blade that like to shake a lot make the H3 impact sound and feel like a brick cracking at first until it settles in after a week or two.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 16:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
GrumpyJoe wrote:
Its been awhile sense I've been here. Thought I might do some updating. The equipment you see in my Sig is pretty much what I've been using for awhile now. I guess I'm pretty happy with it. I do have a sheet of Nittaku Hammond Pro Bata in 1.9-2.2 sponge coming this week.

In the years sense I made the move to a more modern chopping style, I have fallen away from an attacking FH. I have practiced so much to get a BH chopping game that my FH totally went away. I can still keep the ball on the table but don't have that "when you need it" FH shot. In warm up when I'm with friends I can do a hook shot, a fade, and a nice (not great) but nice loop. But put me in a match I miss the ball, get my feet screwed up, and all around look like a dork trying to hit the ball. I have been working on playing more relaxed but something just clicks and all hell breaks loose. I end up hitting the ball instead of looping like I should. I have a friend that is willing to work with me. I know it's going to be an up hill battle because I'm stuck with that muscle memory thing. Flat hitting for so long it's going to very hard to do anything but.

I will try to post something each week to and see if there is any change.

I'm sure it will return in no time. It's quite common that when you focus on one aspect of your game, another fades away, but I don't believe you've lost it, you've just got to remind your brain you still need it. ;)

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 21:41 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Last night was good. Got that new sheet of Hammond Pro Beta. Played about 2 hours with it. Quick comparison with the Rakza 7. Lower throw. Not as fast. Just a spiny. Better control. Blocks better. Softer sponge. Need more playing time but so far I like it. I want to see how it acts after its broken in.

MOLON LABE!!!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!