OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 23:02 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

I understand what your saying. I have played with guys that I do very well against and sometimes have trouble with the players that might just have a different game. That is why this year I wanted to play more matches and less HIT HIT HIT chop chop chop. It is fun to let a players practice there loops and I can practice my chops just for something to do. Well after doing that for 4-5 years and really not concentrating on the game..Its just is good enuf now. I will still practice my BH chops from mid distance, but take more time working my blocking and pushing. That seems to work better. I need to take my own advice I give. make your game simple- not complex. Be really good at 8-10 shots. Make your game compact-quick-simple-comsistant. I find it better to use that shots that I am good at and when I get to a point I am caught in the middle and out of step. Push or present a shot that will alLow you to get back to your X (STARTING POINT)
Teddys New blade looks really cool, Give me some feedback on it when you try it out. I will be playing at the club tue or thur.. got to get to work

Peace GIG :party:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 05:54 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
vanjr wrote:
tabesamis wrote:
So I have to say that chopping is not my best game. It works against players under 1900 but above that it's too difficult to sustain at my current ability... I however Learned to counter fairly well with long pips so I decided to play attack and twiddling on both sides to getting a forehand attack. I will have to improve my blocking however I block decently... I also switched to a donic burn all+ blade... It gives my forehand more power without losing control and is still slow enough to chop if I need it. I ordered a few sheets of globe 888 to try and will be experimenting with medium pips after our state tournament which I will be using as a tuneup and assessment of what to work on making the us open in July my season goal.

Vids coming this week of bob and I doing some training. His chicken wings pips shot is really becoming a weapon... Bob may turning pushblock 2 the quite rentable sequel... Or he'll change his game. Bob keep trying the long pips... That's my vote for you.

Will post some of this week soon and some footage of my next lesson.

I am enjoying your posts.

One thing about the defender style is that it is all about match-ups and less about USATT rating. I was playing a player rated 50 or 100 above me this week who has some clear weaknesses and he just destroyed me. While another player who is over 200 above me and I had a few good matches an great points. I find the match-ups to be a big factor-certain players with certain skills give me problems. Others not so much. That said I can reasons for trying the MP or SP options.

Thanks. I also agree that match-ups are a big thing for defensive players. I know there are several players who I can chop and loop against who will lose to me no matter what because I'm chopping an looping. I also know there are players I need to loop and hit against and flip to throw in backhand loops to surprise them in order to beat them. The goal is being able to beat them all with 1 combination...

That is where the medium pips strategy will come in. Hopefully in the future.
At this point I have an allround blade that I can attack with more than my defensive blades...
The trick is finding a quick backhand for states...
I'm taking the time in the next week to experiment with 3 possible backhands: p1r, air upupup, and 755-2 which is a medium pip that has some long pip qualities to it and is very easy to chop with yet even more simple to attack with...

I think 755-2 would be a gamble but I'm gonna try it 1st out of the 3. Air upupup is very fast but can pushblock well and I have gotten to try that on the new blade with my robot...Probably the fastest of the 3.

If one of those two do not work I will be forced to cut down my sheet of p1r and play with a slow backhand rubber. p1r can do it all. Chop, hit, shortgame, even loop if I need a little topspin.
I think it would be unwise for me to switch my equipment so close to the state championships if I really cared about winning my events, however this is just another tuneup for me, and I care more about finding what will be the right game for me in July. I definitely hit better than chop. So all I have to do is be more offensive with my backhand but hit fewer shots blocking and chopping there. If my footwork is good than my forehand should be used for over 60 percent of my shots and it won't really matter so much what I use on my backhand as long as I can return serve... If I have trouble I'll start with my inverted on my backhand and twiddle if a serve comes to the forehand. That should reduce my errors knowing that my inverted is used to return serve and as much as possible.

Whatever I used I'll need to warm it up with good player in the morning of the tournament for at least a half hour. Which makes my necessary warm up time about 45 minutes.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 22:41 

Your new blade is really a good set-up. I really liked the controlled BH with the air. The FH however just had a little too much higher throw angle to it. Over-all a very impressive controlled blade. ( Donic Burn ALL+ ). The straight handle was not as narrow as some of Donic blades seem to be. That is the only reason I never went back to the blade. They seem to have the right width, just not thick. After playing last night I have to go to my lighter Kirs blade. My wrist is sore, shoulder, hand. The heavyer set-up is just too much right now. It was better when I had the Big slam on it, it was much lighter. I just will have to change blades down the road. I just got finished cleaning and sealing my Lighter Kris. I will take the rubber off that tonight and work with it this weekend. I did not have a great night playing VAl ( 1900+ player ). he moves the ball very well and spins it with a higher throw. i did manage chopping the ball and did gte some points from that. i did not gain much when blocking and I did not get off the table and chop block much either. He, like Lin have great success playing against LP. But I did see a break in the armor after heavy chopping from 5 feet away. I also thought of using reg attacking pips or an inverted rubber that is not spin sensitive. I did get 7 or 8 points and was tied at one point at 8-8.
this does give me a chance to look at my game and equipment as well as tactics to make some changes.. all and all a good outing...this is what I need to focus on..playing better people.

Peace GIG
got to get back to work..like your Burn A+ alot..might get one.

:Chop: :headbang:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 05:39 
LoopER Chopin

so the equipment change really wasn't much of a change. I was able to execute better short game shots with the faster harder blade, but chop with less consistency. Overall not really an issue to me considering in less than half of my points I end up chopping.

With the feedback of my coach my game is moving towards an on the table blocking/hitting, pushblocking backhand that either wins points through spin variation or sets up my forehand which I pretty much loop or block everything.

Therefore I will probably use the donic burn All+ exclusively with grip-s or whale II on my forehand. As for my backhand I think Air has lots of possibilities, but I probably wont rule out dtecs ox. Or even in the future a medium pip like globe 888.

I played a match with my coach (2179) and lost 3-1 however I see how the variation from my pips can give even a great left handed double wing looper problems.

After my tournament I will reassess but this change gives my pips backhand more power, and also my forehand.
Will post videos soon. I got lots to clip...:) :(

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 06:56 

I found the A+ blade very easy to chop with because I have a much different stroke than yours. The FH side was a different matter. I sometimes find if I change my Fh angle to off-set my forward looping motion it tends to react to my BH side and I have to remind myself to hold the blade a little different. Still a nice set-up to work with. I will also access my game and make some improvements and changes if needed. Playing a close 2000 player always helps. I dont know why I waited so long to play in the upper levels as I know better.
good Luck Teddy and will see you at the states

peace GIG :up: :topspin: :Chop: :topspin: :Chop: :topspin:

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 21:43 

Making changes is a tough call. It is normally a Blade that just isnt right, or a rubber that might be a little faster or spinny and Long pips or medium pips that just make things right. I know one thing that is constant in this table tennis universe. Dont let a blade or rubber change who you are as a player. too many times have I put rubber on a blade or have a blade that is too fast or slow or has too much flex..it goes on and on. Teddy your Fh is the real deal. i would like to see you work on Fh drives that come off your blade quickly and be able to change to a multi-gear loop drive when needed. A great BH push to set-up your Fh and concentrate on BH counters ect....That is the only way you will get above 2000 is much less time, because the skill set is already there. I too will make some changes and will do so after the States as well. I am currently OK with my FH as it is. I can loop and hit with the Top E soft and/ or big slam and both are ok with me. The Top E does work better on looping underspin better than Big slam. But Big slam drives and counters/blocks well..we shall see. I am also looking at changing to a slower blade and also a faster one for a possible anti-setup..I will see after states. After taking off the glue sheet (Talon ox ) it made my set-up for my BH too fast and had lost some touch shots. I have a sheet with the glue sheet I will put on tonight. Teddy I always say try it and see what happens, Now its time to get back to basics and start running with the big dogs.

Peace *( gotta work )
see you at the states I will be there as early as possible ( 9 ish )

GIG :Chop: :topspin: :Chop: :Chop: :topspin: :Chop:

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 05:24 
LoopER Chopin

It's true what bob says. I give up.
I will still play with long pips for fun but the days of me playing long pips in competition are about over.

If I can find a good red sheet of inverted that I can use for sunday at states. I will probably use it to gage what I have to do to get my backhand to optimal shape.

:party: this goes out to all the modern defenders out there. I salute you. I will have to start a new blog.

fin.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 05:56 

As I said before and again, you took a leap to try it, and it is fun. But is it for everyone..no
But you don"t know unless you try. A few things you did learn, Different tactics against LP Players. judging spin off pushes and blocks. what goes through a LP players mind when they play. ?? :devil: yes thats right. LOL. I think a whole lot more. You have quicker hand speed. Better forward movement and tactical advantage to engage your Fh power loops. faster Hand speed and touch for your BH. and got a good leg workout that we all need more than once a week. All and all I think it was a different school of thought for you to understand playing any LP is great until you reach a certain point and the players you play are better and you might get away with some of the points, but in the long run you have to tip your hats off any defender and pushblockers that even reach 2000 lease of all 2300. Keep the train going Teddy you have the talent and drive to get to 2100 and maybe more. See you in the States.
Good Luck
Peace GIG
:party: :Chop: :topspin: :Chop: :topspin: Im having a party......

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2012, 13:23 
LoopER Chopin

tabesamis wrote:
It's true what bob says. I give up.
I will still play with long pips for fun but the days of me playing long pips in competition are about over.

If I can find a good red sheet of inverted that I can use for sunday at states. I will probably use it to gage what I have to do to get my backhand to optimal shape.

:party: this goes out to all the modern defenders out there. I salute you. I will have to start a new blog.

fin.

Psych!!!
Long Pips you are like a woman who keeps stringing me along.

I did not feel comfortable competing in the state championships with double inverted. It may have been the faster blade which I did not feel entirely comfortable with. Therefore I played with the backups setup I chose for this occasion.

Blade: butterfly Innershield (cut down to reduce a little vibration) FH: DHS neo Prov 40 BH: Curl P1r ox

U1900: I did how I expected to do. In this round robin I drew a horrible matchup with a nearly 2000 player who recently dropped to 1880ish who played medium pips. She beat me 3-0 with only the first game being competitive.
I however did beat a long pip/ inverted penhold twiddler (rated 1400 but at one point was 1800 a couple years ago) 3-1, and a mid 1600 seemiller anti player 3-0. Which means I did what the ratings indicated.

U2100: My first match I beat a double inverted blocker/hitter looper (1600ish) 3-1. In this match I was lulled to sleep the first game and had to wake up to actually take the next three. My next match was my best win yet.
I beat a (1944) two wing looper who has been in the low 2000 level for over a decade and at one point a long while ago was a state champion. I found the the variation of twiddling, chopping, and looping kept him on his toes and stumped him, and I was lucky to pose a new question once he found the answer for each of my revolving tactics. 3-2 me.
I unfortunately lost to another mid 1900 long pip player who used to be a two wing looper at the same level and has been playing for several years with long pips longer than I have. He beat me 3-2 with every game being close. He also lost to the number one seed 3-1 therefore the player that I beat moved on past the round robin stage.

Overall it was a good tournament for me. I won all the matches i should have, and lost none that I should not have. I also was able to pull a nearly 300 point upset.

I will cut some of the standing around and post the match as soon as I can as well as some hitting that bob and I did during the tournament. From watching it I see where I can improve on my chop technique, and movement. I am actually pleasantly surprised how today turned out therefore I have to continue my blog... :Defense:

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2012, 21:41 

Congrats to Teddy ( everybody clap ) :clap:
Yes I was there and Teddy did very well indeed. We both were not sure what to do regarding his set-up. The choice proved to be a good one. He always had a better than average FH and his chop play and twiddles seem to get the job done. I still remember playing with inverted on both sides of a carbon blade and doing pretty good then After having alot of hand problems I switch to a lighter set-up. Then after meeting Teddy when he was just getting his game on, He had a few hits with my long pips and my anti and after trying the LP he was was hooked. We also mentioned about going back to inverted, I still believe Teddy could do that and not loose a beat. But Teddy ??would it be as much FUN :party:
In closing again..CONGRATS on a great tournament ...Like I said before its time to run with the BIG DOGS

Peace GIG
:headbang:

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 12:45 
Super User

nice job :up:

BH: Tibhar Grass D.Tecs OX

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 13:11 
LoopER Chopin

Ok. Heres some videos of my last tournament.

First this is a video of Bob and I warming up courtesy of Bob:

The first game of the one match I recorded I lost 11-9 this is the match starting at game 2:

And here is the final conclusion:

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 13:55 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Video's embedded for you Teddy.

Now I haven't watched all of both match videos cos they were freezing on me on video but the audio kept going. (Probably my internet playing up.) Enjoyed what I did see. Was also good to see Michiganbob for the first time in the first one, which I saw all of.

You are playing with pips on the BH there still, are you not? Was surprised to see you say earlier you were giving up the pips. I think that would be a shame as you seem to incorporate them well into your game and perhaps just need more patience to let them grow on you (and yes I will pull the pun of a nurse needing more patients LOL :lol: ). What I saw of your match, you look to be every bit of what I would expect a 2000+ player to look like. I don't know if you just played like that for this match, or if the opponent helped you look this way, but your movement and strokes come across this way here.

Speaking of movement and style, is it me, or did your opponent have a quirky sort of "way" about him? Can't quite describe it, but something about him just struck me as odd. Having said that he blocked well. His slow loop though also fell into that "odd" look. Anyway, well done on the win. You look to me like you have improved quite a bit since the last vids I saw, mainly in the area of consistency.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 14:40 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

How come they don't use side barriers in the U S and A? It must be infuriating having to put up with all those balls and people coming into the court so often.

Teddy you are such a talented attacker (both BH and FH) I don't know why you bother with LP and defending - it really doesn't make sense. When you attack you look like a 2200 player but when you defend you look like a 1400 player. So often when you return a serve or push with the LP it just lollipops up for your opponent to have an easy put away. Even though your opponent in the clip often wasn't good enough to take advantage of these opportunities such wouldn't be the case with a slightly more competent looper. Also, when you go back to defend your footwork, body and rhythm is so out of sync - you look so uncomfortable and unnatural, it doesn't flow. When you attack however it is the opposite - you are fast and you move very fluently.

Just in case the is any confusion I intend the above comments to be positive and complimentary. You have a lot of ability and look really good when you attack. To me that is clearly where your strength is and I could see you getting to 2200 quite easily. I just don't see any upside in LP for you at all - it doesn't even help with your service return.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 15:21 
LoopER Chopin

carbonman wrote:
How come they don't use side barriers in the U S and A? It must be infuriating having to put up with all those balls and people coming into the court so often.

Teddy you are such a talented attacker (both BH and FH) I don't know why you bother with LP and defending - it really doesn't make sense. When you attack you look like a 2200 player but when you defend you look like a 1400 player. So often when you return a serve or push with the LP it just lollipops up for your opponent to have an easy put away. Even though your opponent in the clip often wasn't good enough to take advantage of these opportunities such wouldn't be the case with a slightly more competent looper. Also, when you go back to defend your footwork, body and rhythm is so out of sync - you look so uncomfortable and unnatural, it doesn't flow. When you attack however it is the opposite - you are fast and you move very fluently.

Just in case the is any confusion I intend the above comments to be positive and complimentary. You have a lot of ability and look really good when you attack. To me that is clearly where your strength is and I could see you getting to 2200 quite easily. I just don't see any upside in LP for you at all - it doesn't even help with your service return.

Carbonman I am quite willing to test your theory. I have a few sheets of globe 888 coming soon. I will try 1 out. I also have an inverted blade all made up. I will test different combos with some 2100 players and see what works best.

The majority of all players are loopers. So finding a good one is easy. Sticking with lp through states had to happen bc that is what I am most comfortable with at the moment... We will see what will happen. I know I like defensive blades and h3 or bw2. The backhand is always up for question...
I just have a hard time seeing myself as a two wing Looper again. However I can't say what will happen. I'll just let my game naturally progress.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next