OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 15:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
carbonman wrote:
Teddy you are such a talented attacker (both BH and FH) I don't know why you bother with LP and defending - it really doesn't make sense. When you attack you look like a 2200 player but when you defend you look like a 1400 player. So often when you return a serve or push with the LP it just lollipops up for your opponent to have an easy put away. Even though your opponent in the clip often wasn't good enough to take advantage of these opportunities such wouldn't be the case with a slightly more competent looper. Also, when you go back to defend your footwork, body and rhythm is so out of sync - you look so uncomfortable and unnatural, it doesn't flow. When you attack however it is the opposite - you are fast and you move very fluently.

While I agree with you in many ways Carbonman, I think the pips gives Teddy more options and probably makes him more unique, possibly giving him an advantage there. I'm sure he looks lower level when using pips at the moment simply because he is less accustomed to it. In the end he may well look like he is equally good either side, but it will take time.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 16:08 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

tabesamis wrote:
Carbonman I am quite willing to test your theory. I have a few sheets of globe 888 coming soon. I will try 1 out. I also have an inverted blade all made up. I will test different combos with some 2100 players and see what works best.

The backhand is always up for question...
I just have a hard time seeing myself as a two wing Looper again. However I can't say what will happen. I'll just let my game naturally progress.

Your BH is quite good and you hit a number of impressive winners in the clip. Try SP or MP but I actually think you might be better with inverted on both sides

Having more options or being different is not in itself a good thing if it loses you points (it's also not a whole lotta fun). I can chop to a reasonable level but if I try it against stronger players I don't get out alive. Have a look at the clips again and watch all the of the LP shots you play (especially against serve and push). I daresay that if you were facing those very same LP shots yourself you would be hitting a lot of winners! :)

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 21:59 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

Carbonman you can blame me for the LP that Teddy is playing with in part. I have used it for several years and he tried it like all of us as an experiment. I also agree with you that Teddy could possibly hit 2200 as a two wing looper..but would he be happy playing that style. we talked about setting up an inverted only blade to test and he does plan to address that also. I also agree with the "Count" to give him more time with the LP to learn what it is all about. I have seen him Flip really good when least expected. ALso 'Counts" comments on the 2000 player is correct.."ODD" is very correct. LOL
I have watch him play in the States Tournament for the last 3 years. I have seen really good players hit one of his chops in the Net ONCE..and get cold feet. I have also seen players get Flipped when he flips to spin a BH shot with his inverted and not know what to do. If you listen to the Video of him playing the 2000 guy..He said ( i was there ) he was not sure what side he was using..and so I turn to one of my fovorite songs (( DAZED AND CONFUSED)) LOL Oh and please be kind to my Vid of Teddy and me hitting. I had my back out and went to Chiroprator today and get cracked. Shouder was out as well and was found I was walking and standing and looked like a pretzle.. Feel better now.

Peace GIG keep the chops coming
:Chop: :rock:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 21:34 

well Teddy gave me a new set-up to try, a Burn All+ with P1R ox and Topenergy ( which came loose when i got home...I could had killed someone with a loose peice of rubber...LOL) anyways. Even though the blade has a slightly compact head it does manuver quite well. I...so sorry Teddy took off the sheet of topenergy and put an old sheet of Big slam on. ( yea thats right the evil big slam ) Teddy is too hard to play without injuring him in some way. I might just try to hit the ball hard at him to cause injury so I can at lease get a better game in. All kidding aside Teddy has shown he has jumped up from being in the middle of the pack at our club to the better 10%. In all fairness to Teddy I think if he went with inverted on both sides he would do the same, He might not win a close match to a person that plays a slightly better inverted game than he. That is bacause he flipps really well and "YES" you never know when it is coming. Does he have to chop from a distance..not really. His short game has really improved and is a great weapon he can use. Long pips? YES YES. what It does I think is make it fun for him and he will get only better with it. A modern chopper you say...no. I think "Random Chaos" is more what you will get.
Peace GIG
gotta get back to work :up: ** get some vids going Teddy..your "not" done with LP yet :Chop: :topspin:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 22:39 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Big slam bob? Really? The burn is sealed... Which I think with the wood it has requires more glue... If you like big slam do it... I recommend you find a low throw rubber that still allows you to loop underspin. The problems you had with me yesterday only came from your excessive use of the p1r which was predictable. You often took the lead only to wait for my mistake instead of attacking yourself. Once you figure out the best forehand rubber for you then you and attack more you will realize you are closer to your 1800 goal than you think.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 22:54 

Sorry Teddy, it was the only black sheet I had at home. I want to go something other than Big slam, But I really like the tensor rubbers. I will take the sheet off of course after I do some looking around. I also like the fact your standing your ground on that Bh side and attacking very very well...Watch out Baber...a repeat of defeat will follow..lol and your right I played a little passive..and was relying on P1R to do the work...I must work harder and smarter..Thanks for the tip

talk later I got some of use have to work for a living

Peace GIG..I agree wonce I find a Tensor that is slightly harder that Big slam I will get.

:up: :headbang:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 13:15 
LoopER Chopin

I came across an article today by Larry Hodges.

http://tabletenniscoaching.com/node/834

I avidly check his blog out pretty much everyday. This particular article helped me realize why I have been beating players who seem to have strengths that should take out my weak chopping game.
I am not the most consistent chopper yet I seem to find ways to get people to still put the ball in the net, and then they avoid my chop for a while and Go to my much stronger Looping forehand. Once they stop doing that and start trying to exploit my pips I twiddle and give them some backhand loops and for fun twiddle on their serves when they start to try to go back to the inverted and give some forehand swipes or just loop the ball with pips on my forehand.

When a player gets used to my serves I change the service set to get them used to something else and go back to the original serves that they were having problems with...

I guess this way I am covering my weaknesses with versatility, and it causes even 2000-2100 players to freeze up and cough up a game or two.

The reason I am writing this is because in our state we have players who have their go to games. 4 to 5 combinations for points that they never ever ever stray from win or lose. That is the same reason we don't have anyone in our state above 2300... Also our players don't travel much. I think variation and versatility is what made Waldner great. It is the same reason Persson can still challenge very high level players.

I think at my level I am just going to learn everything I can. If there is a shot that I don't have in my arsenal I want it. If I lose during club by using it who cares because if I am training for a tournament and I need the shot during the tournament it will be there. It may not always hit, but I will eventually get better. I have a few short term goals but most of my goals are long term so I am may not climb abruptly like a junior, but I intend to climb.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 14:31 
LoopER Chopin

So my new rating came up today. I did not expect an adjustment however the tournament director must have taken who I lost to and how close into account.... So my new rating is:

Abesamis, Teddy

78th Annual Michigan Closed

Rating before tournament: 1678 (adjusted to 1739)

Rating after tournament: 1782

Rating change: 104

Pretty good! I was making 1800 my goal for the year so I have to change that. Unfortunately for my goal I will have to beat someone higher in the US OPEN... not as likely but possible. I probably will only be able to play one event however so to accurately assess where I am I would have to play at least one or two more tournaments this year which kinda is looking not so good.

Overall I am happy with my progress this year and will be posting more training videos as soon as I can get a lesson. My coach did very well this year and lost in the semi finals of the open category which I probably would have to attribute to exhaustion. He simply played too many events. Overall though this guy is going to be a Michigan state champion within the next couple years unless someone else steps up.

There are very few days of success for us mere mortals so I will enjoy today and aim for 2000 for next years Michigan Closed. :Defense: :rock:

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 00:28 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

If you love chopping game, goes for it but.......
Chopping technique is not right. You were not chopping. You were scooping. Hit back of the ball, not under. Ball is too low when you made contact.
Tactic, how to set up your chop, is none existing.

Will be hard to play at 2000. No matter how good your FH is(unless you have 2300 penhold FH skills) you still have a LP on BH side. Find a coach who knows chopping game and LP.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 01:13 
LoopER Chopin

It's definitely true chopping is not my thing. I plan to work on block and hit with the pips more than chopping... Especially with the new ball coming. If the long pips are no longer effective by then I will switch to inverted both side or a short pip like 802-40. Chopping is fun to try but it's not a point winner for me. I plan for a strategic blocking hitting pip game with forehand loops being my point winner.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 02:35 

what might look like scooping the ball when the pros do it, might just be the followthru to get the blade back to position..hmm something to look at. I used to chop under the ball using anti, now I find myself chopping more up and down. I kinda like chopping from mid distance and will give it a try. Will make some changes when doing so. Id like a hit with your new blade set-up. Might be what I am looking for as well. I will be robot working some this weekend. Let me know when your back in town so we can meet up at the club.

Peace..GIG hope your vacation went well.

:party: :rock:

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 06:46 
LoopER Chopin

I'll be at the club on Tuesday Bob. At that point I'll try 388d-1 and use p1r as the fall back as usual.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 07:36 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

tabesamis wrote:
... I think variation and versatility is what made Waldner great. It is the same reason Persson can still challenge very high level players. ...

So true! I watched live Jörgen Persson vs Ma Lin in the World Teams Championship, and I was getting cold chills thinking "OMG, they're back".

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2013, 02:17 
LoopER Chopin

It's been a long time. Quick update. Still using lp. I actually got to my goal of 1800 only to lose points in my last tournament do to an equipment change... Silly ej. I have been playing more of an all round style than pure modern defence. Lately I've been using a harder faster blade with hellfire ox and grip-s Europe. I have to concentrate a bit more than with my defplay but it has been working out with my lack of playtime.

Right now still beating everyone 1850 and down. However higher rated players are still having trouble with the quicker blade and less prep time. I figure I still need to improve my close to the table pips game and keep up on my bh loop. Otherwise things are as good as they can be. I am maintaining my level with twice a month practice. We will see how things go come 2014 us open time:)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2013, 07:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great effort to achieve your goal tabesamis! :up: :up: :up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6