OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 08:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
leatherback wrote:
Day 2 complete-

the men and women split for single ball practice and got together again for multiball practice at the end.

i realized a few more things today...

number 1: I SUCK at feeding multiball.....gotta get better at that....and fast.

number 2: i did not actually play that poorly today when it came to chopping....

the dramatic switch, was exactly that....dramatic....

if I move really well and make sure im in the exact position for the chop that I want, I can chop just as effectively with these short pips....which i did not think I would be able to do....

and the interesting thing is....If the person is intent on killing to my back hand repeatedly, I can basically choose when i want them to miss the ball by throwing in a same height no spin....gets everyone 99% of the time.

the main thing is....with these loops that i have to deal with....there is no dawdling around at the table being relaxed because i can make sweet blocks with long pips....

its "you better make and awesome push to the back line....and back up REALLY fast while watching your opponents racket hand to see where he is going"

what I miss the most is the serve receive with long pips.....SO EASY...

I hate having to pay attention....

some interesting developments on the other players front....

If amelia is training like this, there is no way many women in Europe will beat her....Mu Zi, a top female chinese player appearing in some very high pro tours is her main practice partner (and also a pips user) and they are neck and neck with everything they do....

By watching irene, ive gained some very interesting short pip chopping advice....she holds her racket....ODD....i had to watch very carefully, buts its almost as though the handle is not in her hand....many pictures on google confirms this....and its very wierd.....i tried it and it actually allows the racket to feel more relaxed in your hand....

If Im not mistaken....Wang Wei is here.....I didn't see him play or anything, just saw him at dinner....

I didnt play with anyone that was famous....still the monster forehand guy.....i should find out his name...he calls me David Bekham....

i dont know weather or not to be complimented or insulted....so i just went with it.....tomorow i think i will be zoro...

good thing no one speaks english...

The coach spent alot of time with me today regarding attacking with the short pips or any pips for that matter.

he says the faster the ball leaves your blade, and with the less spin....the better....seems to work only if the ball is above the height of the net though....guess that means i have to move faster.....

TOO MUCH MOVEMENT!

On the equipment front I decided to go temporarily with the Joo See hyuk Blade, as its the only chopping blade they sell here....Ill stick with that for thenext 4 months untill i get around to looking for another one...

another interesting point....

every penhold player is a pips out smasher with an RPB.
Not one penholder plays with inverted....everyone of these guys looks the same....super skinny and lanky. they all use the same equipment....TSP super spin pips 21 sponge....and tenergy on penhold Timo Boll ALC's, the speed the generate it pure scary.

Every other player uses hurricane 3, speedglued to the max with tenergy 05 or 64 on a stiga or butterfly blade

I am surprised they are speed gluing H3-you have seen them? Seems like they would want to develop technique on something they could play with at ITTF tournaments, but maybe the competition is so difficult that they want to rise to the top before they go legal

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 09:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
nathanso wrote:
leatherback wrote:
nathanso wrote:
Awesome stuff! I will be watching this thread with great interest.

802 with 1.7 sponge..?!

802 with stock mystery III sponge 1.7 red....

i was as shocked as you are.....there goes my chop block, my sideways pip swipe and my drop shot....

without these in my arsenal i am at the extreme basics...
I was curios enough that I just ordered a sheet of 802, albeit a 1.5 35* version from Zeropong. I'm just about at the end of my rope with breaking LP pips so maybe SP is a way forward. Do share your SP lessons!

Maybe a pip you can't break-I admit I did some shopping around for some thin sponged SP like 802-1 or 802, but really would like sponge less than 1.0.

To the OP- can you tell us how thick Irene Ivancan's sponge is on her SP?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 09:37 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
@ vanjr,
You should not be surprized they glue in China. It is common place. At a large tourney I was in, they had a room for glueing. If you were in there more than 5 minutes, you would feel drunk. :D

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 10:08 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
The speed gluing ban thing is an ITTF rules that a lot of national association also made by default.

That doesn't necessarily apply to city tourneys, back woods tourneys, club play, and training halls. Some or many players simply don't give a crap, they will never be a member of national team.

Although that waz eloquently put, it is not nearly as cool as Keifer Sutherland capturing you and summarlily informing you that your constitutional rights no longer apply.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 11:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

We had quite a few juniors who attended such camps in China in the past ten years. One thing to be very careful is they (the Chinese coaches) were overly enthusiastic trying to "reconstruct" a player's game instead of building on what he/she already had... It is very important to let them know your goals beforehand, so they know exactly what kind of training to give you for your style. It is not a joke that "some players actually came back home worse"... :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 17:30 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

You'll play better in the long run if you learn to chop properly with sponge and it seems like everyone learns to chop with short pips first the best so you may as well stick with it

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 18:04 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
When I went to a long pips training camp in Germany, they insisted that I change my blade and long pips to something slower. That wasn't a big problem, but changing from OX long pips to short pips with 1.7 sponge is radical. Good luck!

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 20:43 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?

Katy Parker (daughter of Jill Hammersley and Donald Parker) was I think the youngest player to play for England at the Commonwealth games at age 12. She gave up playing competitively very early in her career (teens) and started working for the ETTA as a coach in 2008. During her short playing career she won national titles at three different junior levels and became England's No.1. This is the only video I could find of her and she is working for the ETTA helping with a mulltiball practice, Katy is the one returning.

She used short pimples on her backhand and chopped / defended. I once asked her why she used short and not LP's. She felt she got good control defending with the short pimples and they were more versatile ie she could do more with them than long pimples. I'm not saying short pimples will be right for you or switching to training with them is a good or bad thing, but LP's aren't the only type of rubber to use to chop and defend with.

I'd be interested to hear why the coaches have asked you to train with short pimples so soon into the training.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 01:16 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
maybe they switched you according to your muscle strength. You said they were feeling up on you. They must have assessed something that we just arent aware of.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 12:59 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
just a short post right now....the internet in my room is as slow as a dinosaur and i dont want to waste what precious time i may have with a long post and then let it die and lose it all!

i had to make a tough decision today....

stick with the group training or take a full time personal coach...

Im trying out the coach....she is a super energetic late 50's post national team chopper....i couldnt tell you her name...but she has the most marvelous form i have ever seen...and she is super excited to team someone from Canada...

I wont get to play consistently with any one super famous....just matches perhaps and the odd single ball practice....but i hope that will be worth it....we still have team matches every wednesday.

I am also proud to say that I actually got a chinese coach to tell me that my forehand was very good....and people are afraid to go to it...especially when i am off the table!

The short pips get wierder every day...

All i know is that if i got back to long pips...its gonna be the easiest thing ever, because with short pips....its ALL about the movement....if you are there....u dont miss....if u arent....its a 30% chance its landing on the table...

the lady coach says I move and walk like hou ying chao....maybe thats what they saw im not sure....

another bonus about short pips....i no longer fear short pips players :lol: infact...they are easier then some loopers...

to those who are interested, yesterday a old chinese man came in with a winter coat on and he was like god....everyone was shaking his hand....he whips out his single sided penhold shortpips blade and kills everybody....quite curious as to who he was...

I also got to hit with the current paraolympic champion who has only one arm....he has a distubingly spinny serve and about everything else a chinese national player has

talk soon!

alex

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 14:25 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

This is getting really interesting :)

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 17:09 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

hookshot wrote:
@ vanjr,
You should not be surprized they glue in China. It is common place. At a large tourney I was in, they had a room for glueing. If you were in there more than 5 minutes, you would feel drunk. :D

WHEE

When I use up a lot of rubber cement to prime something i my room I have to set my fan on high, open the windows and evacuate and wait for an hour

My room is probably smaller than the glueing room

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 23:42 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

hookshot wrote:
@ vanjr,

Whoa thats very dangerous and I knew that they knew :^) They could develop cancer in their later years :@

I always glue outdoor if possible or at least in a room with a very good air circulation.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 04:35 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Rubber Cement is fractions of the VOCs of real Speed Glue, yet it also has its own distinct odor, but then again so does my feet after playing in the same shoes after 6 hours straight...

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 05:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Der_Echte wrote:
Rubber Cement is fractions of the VOCs of real Speed Glue, yet it also has its own distinct odor, but then again so does my feet after playing in the same shoes after 6 hours straight...

OT: I've finally found the solution to shoe odor... Get some unscented underarm deodorant spray (make sure it's marked as "unscented"). Spray it generously inside your shoes before you play. No more odor!
*Works ten times better and cheaper than those useless "athlete foot" deodorant sprays. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next