OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 08 May 2024, 11:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 09:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
leatherback wrote:
Im trying out the coach....she is a super energetic late 50's post national team chopper....i couldnt tell you her name...but she has the most marvelous form i have ever seen...and she is super excited to team someone from Canada...

Since you have a new coach, perhaps you (gently :oops: ) can bring up the topic of LPs again?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 11:28 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
roundrobin wrote:
Der_Echte wrote:
Rubber Cement is fractions of the VOCs of real Speed Glue, yet it also has its own distinct odor, but then again so does my feet after playing in the same shoes after 6 hours straight...

OT: I've finally found the solution to shoe odor... Get some unscented underarm deodorant spray (make sure it's marked as "unscented"). Spray it generously inside your shoes before you play. No more odor!
*Works ten times better and cheaper than those useless "athlete foot" deodorant sprays. ;)

RR, there is no avoiding the production of foot odor. There is simply too good an environment inside shoes sweating for hours on end to avoid it altogether. I agree the foot liners are a complete waste of money. The cheapest, and best solution is to wash the shoes and use old-school foot powder before each session.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 12:47 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Big Post Number 3.

I have the afternoon off, and its an interesting enough story at that as well...

I havent chopped much in the past few days, they have been trying to develop my forehand to have more power.

I have been practicing with a female Japanese chopper who plays professionally on a team in Japan....I havent seen amelia or irene anymore since the second day, I think they left, but the entire Chinese National B women's team is here....and wow....they cover every range of styles from Jpen to all sorts of pips out and loopers.....

I managed to get a few words in with my new coach, and she asked me why i was having so much trouble with the short game and I mentioned the pips thing....

turns out....the guy who switched me....was Wang Hao....(not the number 2 in the world)...the old chopper from the 90's!
apparently he does that to every defender he coaches...she presented another tough call...go back to long pips, and not train chopping so much...more short game and chopping when necessary (ala Sun Jian Fei), or stick to short pips for a more deceptive game away from the table...

Here is my opening ....any votes?

The half day I have off today is to go to the city so my new coach can choose my equipment (blade and backhand rubber)
she wont let me use anything else other then chinese forehand which i dont mind....

EVERYBODY uses hurricane....everyone...from age 3 and up....ive seen 1 person use skyline 3....and 1 person use donic acuda s1 because he was waiting for the glue on his hurricane to dry lol

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 13:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

leatherback wrote:
Here is my opening ....any votes?

I vote for going back to LP, as long as she feels she's capable of teaching you this style. This is the style you wanted to play, and judging from your videos, you're quite talented and seem to enjoy this style.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 13:15 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
@Leatherback,

Alot of this sounds familiar, the first day, my coach took off the Outlaw and put H-3, speed glued on my bat. He said I had the power but needed more spin.

At the higher levels from what I saw, double inverted loopers ruled. There were a couple SP hitters that were very good. The owner of the club was a SP hitter and former champ, not sure if Provincial or what but he is good. My coach is double inverted looper and beats him. I got to meet and hit with his coach last trip and he is also a double inverted looper.

I saw many that used inverted forhand and LP backhand but none of them could handle the loopers but they were not choppers either. Looks like you have some real thinking to do before shopping.

You are right about everyone using H-3. They even start kids with it, just not speed glued. The best women at a tourney I was in also were double inverted or SP hitters. The choppers there were never in the game.

Your story is really interesting to me. Good luck. :clap:

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 14:55 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Wang Hao knew a bit about chopping...

I don't know the right answer but maybe listen to Wang Hao and give the short pips a go - it does offer a few more dimensions. If, after time, you really don't like it then it is not going to take you too many sessions to readjust back to LP. You game will still be improving there no matter what you choose.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 15:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

carbonman wrote:
Wang Hao knew a bit about chopping...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krWUvQXkZNs

I don't know the right answer but maybe listen to Wang Hao and give the short pips a go - it does offer a few more dimensions. If, after time, you really don't like it then it is not going to take you too many sessions to readjust back to LP. You game will still be improving there no matter what you choose.

No doubt he was a top chopper, but the irony is he only chopped with long pips with super-thin sponge during his entire career...

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 15:32 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

roundrobin wrote:
No doubt he was a top chopper, but the irony is he only chopped with long pips with super-thin sponge during his entire career...

It would be interesting to find out why he is now advocating short-pips. Can you find out leatherback? Maybe it has something to do with the 40mm ball(???).

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 16:18 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

carbonman wrote:
roundrobin wrote:

It would be interesting to find out why he is now advocating short-pips. Can you find out leatherback? Maybe it has something to do with the 40mm ball(???).

for away from the table chop at the highest levels, nobody gets beat by the LP, it just provides a solid defence, take a look at joo and see how many balls his opponent miss coming from his back hand chop....very few....

however, short pips chop.....is another thing....although nowadays all you see is hou yingchao who has a very unique style and in my opinion does not really count if you are looking at short pips choppers....

at a lower level long pips chop is superior because amateur players simply cannot handle their own spin coming back at them, and a) push....or b) loop into the net...

i feel as though to have a world class style with lp relies on several things

1) your forehand....the MOST important thing where your lp is just for a steady defence to wear your opponent out
take a look at joo....10 back hand chops on the table....opponent gets tired and BOOM forehand loop for a win

2) forehand Chop....this is where you can very the spin and blow your opponents mind (koji matsushita)

3) the ability to deliver wierd balls with your LP....and by wierd i dont mean just bumping the ball back and changing back spin to top spin....i mean being able to throw a complete slow or fast knuckle ball where anyplayer in the world be it number 1 or the lowliest basement player has issue reading it....this usually leaves an opening for the forehand and without the forehand this is not as effective...Sun Jian Fei, Chen Weixing and Fabian Akerstrom are perfect examples of this type of player especially on serve receive

4) the ability to deliver consistant attacks with the LP - Ni Xia Lian, haruna fukuoka....the long pips are the weapon....the best part about properly hitting with your lp is that if your opponent cannot block or be passive with the next shot for fear of the forehand....and the passive block against an lp hit usually end up in the net anyway.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 17:31 

As a novice modern defender I really appreciate your analysis of this style. I watched your videos and I want to practice the same drills you do. If I can be half the TT player you are I will be very satisfied and I will be following your journey every step of the way. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Style: FH counterhitter, BH disruptor

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 22:44 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Hello OOAKers

Sorry I have not posted anything in 2 days, it has been a whirlwhind here but I will debreif you all…

Two days ago I brought my backup LP bat to the training hall and demonstrated my chop block for my coach…

All smiles….this was a good sign and she said this was very good….and although the other coach suggested I switch to short pips….this was a better syle for me….

But the training style has switched…

Before 75% of the time I trained various chopping methods, and the other 25 attack and service training

Now it is the opposite.

The emphasis is to draw a push or a weak return from my opponent and relentlessly attack with both my forehand and LP untill the point is done….only chop when forced to and only as “something to do with your backhand when away from the table..”
Liu song comes to mind…

This training is different….with multiball….chop training is all about the movement and the footwork…and it is IMHO more tyring then attack training

Single ball training is more tiring with this new training method….

Chop training with a single ball is super easy, especially if your partner is a very good looper.

The clipper Is currently what Ive got in my hand….with 39 degree H3 neo…and p1r OX….this blade is GREAT everything except the choppig away from the table….and although I am not training that as much anymore, I would prefer something a touch more chop oriented…

If anyone has a butterfly defence II that they are not using….drop me a pm! This was the blade that was suggested to me by every coach I have talked to….

They suggest the Joo for all choppers with sponge, but when I say NO sponge, they say…OH…..you need soft….

Which is contrary to the popular opinion here on OOAK… I guess for passive blockers the hard outer surface of blades allows one to not think as much when putting the bat In the way of the ball as well as in creeases passive reversal…..but in china….or from what I have seen at least….this is not the case...

The P1R…..is ok….I personally have finally come to the conclusion that I prefer chinese pips over japanese pips….japanese pips are very slow and defence oriented while chinese pips tend to be faster and more allround oriented….

Europe pips….thats a while other ball game, some being japaneseish and some chineseish….d. tecs…..definetely chinese oriented.

As far as training partners go….I havent seen the german womens team around in a while….im not sure how long their training session was, but perhaps they are taking an extended break somewhere else in china…

Im extremely excited because just after chinese new year the legndary chinese mens national team will be here for 1 month…..I…..a lowly canadian table tennis player…..will be living in the same buliding and training in the same hall…..as ma lin and company….

Too bad I might as well have no arms when it comes to chances I will have to play with them hahahah.

Talk soon

Alex

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 00:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Great to hear you've gone back to LP, and that the coach appreciated your chop blocks (your are one of the best I've ever seen!).

Yes, interesting about the soft blade... I guess they don't rely on reversal at all, and since you have no sponge, a soft blade will give you just a little more dwell time, which helps in attack.

Sounds awesome about the National team. Don't forget to bring a camera, and make us even more jealous! :devil: :o :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 05:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thank you for your update! We all love your posts to share your experiences with us. :) :clap:

If you could get a very thin sponge (0.4-0.5mm or so) for your long pips, it should help your chopping away from the table a great deal, while still allowing most of your close-to-the-table block-chop techniques quite effectively.
A very thin sponge will allow your pips to bend more when needed (as in chopping) to increase dwell time, and you can actually change the spin on the ball quite easier than ox...

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 06:48 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

roundrobin wrote:
Thank you for your update! We all love your posts to share your experiences with us. :) :clap:

If you could get a very thin sponge (0.4-0.5mm or so) for your long pips, it should help your chopping away from the table a great deal, while still allowing most of your close-to-the-table block-chop techniques quite effectively.
A very thin sponge will allow your pips to bend more when needed (as in chopping) to increase dwell time, and you can actually change the spin on the ball quite easier than ox...

yes,i have tried very thin sponge many times...and the feeling for chopping is great, but the one thing that i detest is the ability to side swipe, block very short and throw floating ball becomes almost null for me if i add any type of sponge thickness!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 06:50 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

haggisv wrote:
Great to hear you've gone back to LP, and that the coach appreciated your chop blocks (your are one of the best I've ever seen!).

Yes, interesting about the soft blade... I guess they don't rely on reversal at all, and since you have no sponge, a soft blade will give you just a little more dwell time, which helps in attack.

Sounds awesome about the National team. Don't forget to bring a camera, and make us even more jealous! :devil: :o :lol:

thanks!

all though im not sure if the softer outer ply aids in attack, or allows you to take the spin off the ball and throw a very odd floating ball.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next