OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 06:39 
Super User

Hello, I am aznfluteboy and welcome to my blog.

I have about 1 year of experience and am an unrated player but would be around 800 according to the SDTTA rating system, and hopefully get to play in some actual tourneys. I have never had any official coaching, but have trained most of the time with a friend who is much better than me, and picked fundamentals from forums and other sources.

I currently attend Westview High School where I am the VP of WVCTTC (Westview Competitive Table Tennis Club), the reason the club isnt called Westview Table Tennis Club is because there is a badminton/ping pong club already established (even though they don't even know where the table was :@ ).

Anyways, I am also pretty much the coach for the other members who have less experience , by teaching the basic form of the loop, push serve etc. My philosophy is to let each player play whatever style he/she feels most comfortable unless it is extremely inefficient, and then I'll intervene. Afterall, if everyone was the same, what's the fun of table tennis? :D So basically any form of the loop is okay with me as long it fulfills the basic requirements, is consistent and has plenty of spin.

Hope this blog is useful in anyway, even though all of you could pwn me in a matter of minutes :P

-Aznfluteboy

BH: Tibhar Grass D.Tecs OX

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 07:22 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Hi Aznfluteboy , you are showing a good attitude in trying to improve and help others, all the best on your endevours and fun times.
how many team mates?

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 07:44 
Super User

thank you, there are about 10 other members, we dont get alot of publicity because the student body are incompetent >:U

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 17:20 
Super User

anyways, been playing around with the club. Mostly loop block practice, where Im practicing my consistency of my stroke, since with cpen, I can get more momentum than shakehand, which means I can dial it down a bit. But even with the softer feel of the MAX sponge on the Rakza, I feel that I can't unleash the spin it has because of the harder feel with my loop drives. Even though I love looping away from the table, my favorite stroke (loop drive) needs a softer feel imo.

so Im thinking about getting either Rakza 7 soft because it has a high throw and medium soft feel or Stiga Boost TC since I heard it's a pretty good rubber. I'm not limited to just those to, but I am looking for a medium-medium high throw and medium soft feel rubber with lots of spin, reasonable speed and plenty of control.

anyways, holding a club practice tmmr, hopefully I'll bring my crappy webcam and laptop to record it.

-aznfluteboy

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 15:09 
Super User

yup, finally got to upload my video, but it's not about me, it's about 2 other members.
Got them to play a few matches, Patrick (shakehand) has a good offense but crappy short game and occasionally touches the table (which I let slide), Jerry has a weak offense (mainly due to the fact he hasnt gotten accustomed to his setup) but a consistent short game. Both have crappy serves and bad footwork :rofl:

But this match while very sloppy will be helpful for both players since they can analyze what they do instead of me doing everything :D

I also dd play, but I'll post that later. But first I must say farewell to penhold:

oh penhold,
so powerful and fierce,
how you destroyed opponents bold,
but alas,
your momentum was too much,
and left my arm in a bunch,
shakehand seems far better,
I'll leave the rest to OOAK to fetter,
but farewell penhold and thanks for the fish

so I switched from penhold to shakehand simply because my new racket is far heavier than my old one, giving me the momentum I lacked with my joyner hinoki setup, and too my surprise I have increased my consistency of loops since this changed.

well, I hope to get a better camera to film our practices and hope not suck.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 20:34 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Video tip: Try to find a camera angle that avoids windows (and preferably also lamps). You will probably get a much brighter result with improved contrast and detail.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 09:40 
Super User

ill probably try to do that :D

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 11:19 
Super User

well, went to my local round robin again, I got better results W1L2 :rofl:

match1: played a guy who simply tapped the ball which at first was pushed into a corner with my loops but since he never put any spin, it messed my game up ending in 2-3 :@

match2: absolute defeat, my opponent simply could counter all of my loops to the corners, almost pulled a muscle as a result. She controlled the game 100% of the time 0-3 :@

match3: close game against a pusher/driver, most of his points came of his extremely deceptive sidespin serves. But if I could get past the short game, I could unleash my looping fury onto him and win :P 3-2

jerry (jpen player) also came to the tourney, but lost all 3. He needs to work on his serves and transitioning from short game to his loop.

but I am considering switching to a modern defense+twiddling style. this was after trying out a friend's setup he didn't like which had yasaka phantom infinity 011 and rakza 7 soft on a ma lin carbon blade, which was almost magical. Chopping with the lp was almost natural and looping was much better than the harder ver of rakza 7. I'm thinking of getting a DEF+ blade with rakza 7 soft and phantom infinity 011

anyways hope to have videos of me testing the modern defender setup and jerry looping soon.

-aznfluteboy

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 13:22 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
The style you are undertaking is difficult but one of the most fun! If you are looking for affordable I just bought a yasaka sweeper $40. Phantom 0011 is good but there are cheaper long pips that are just as good. As for me I think a hard rubber suits flexible soft defensive blades. Chinese rubber will give you just as much spin as rakza7 and more control....though I have to say rakza 7 is good... the soft is not as good...at least for me.

Anyway good luck with your adventures!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 13:40 
Super User

well, I prefer rakza 7 soft since I get a little more feel and consistent stroke from the increased dwell time... plus it was awesome to play with :P

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 13:50 
Super User

here's Jerry attempting to loop, I think I will develop a side by side video comparing the proper technique and himself for coaching purposes, there's also a segment of me testing rakza 7 soft (which is awesome, much better than the regular version for me) and attempting to chop with long pips (I only got about a half hour to test it)

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 14:10 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Jerry,
1) do not stop your stroke at contact.
2) Do not turn your bat over after contact.
Keep the blade angle the same all the way through the stroke.
3) Do not lift your elbow!
4) follow through to a salute position at end of stroke.
5) #3 causes #2.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 14:17 
Super User

oh btw how is my loop form?

and thank you very much for the tips, I'll be sure to pass this information along :)

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 14:30 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Your loops have a similar problem. Stopping right after contact. You also are hitting too far in front of you. That is why your stroke ends up low by your other shoulder or in front of your chin. You will not get much spin that way. WAIT for the ball. Your bat should end up higher. And do not fold the bat over. :)

You will learn alot more if you take some power off when practicing. Go for 20 in a row. Then speed up some.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 14:33 
Super User

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!