OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012, 05:48 
Super User

Certainly sounds like you're enjoying yourself! :D :D I hope you play well for your tournament on the 25th & good luck on your aim to reach 2200 by the end of the season! :rofl: :rofl:

Blade: Joola Flame Fast
FH: Joola Explode Sensitive
BH: Tibhar Grip-S Europe

Change needed dramatically!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012, 09:41 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Michael4ster wrote:
He capitilized very well on one of my weaknesses which is my forehand flip, I kept thinking I could do it but it was just very heavy backspin and I always put it right into the net.

Are you trying to flick a short heavy backspin ball? That is a very difficult shot for anyone, especially if the ball is low. It may be wiser to just push it back short.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 06:25 

Hi Carbonman,

The answer is yes It was very short and spinny. He was doing one serve with a very high toss that I was able to forehand flip very well and won alot of points. When he started doing a low toss and heavier spin I couldnt flip it and lost alot of points that way.

I also wanted to use it for training purposes more than winning, so I kept trying.

I will take your advice next time though, it seems to be smart to just push it back.

thanks.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 15:26 

Hi Michael,

I really like it when table tennis players set their goals. Probably because too many people are ok with letting their training and improvement go its own way and are not willing to dedicate themselves fully.

That being said, I am on the same goal as you are. As you probably can tell by the signature, I am the author of "Breaking 2000". I have many stories to share, especially stories of my training and improvement this past year attempting to make a push to 2200, which is my next goal. I don't want to discourage you, but the goal is very aggressive. In my case, I was capable of gaining the first 400 points easy going from 1200 to 1600, but the next two sets of 200 points took me 10 months each! Mapping my next goal - 2200, I have already remained at the same ranking mid 1900s for almost a year, so it is a tough progress.

Having a two months old and 31 years of age, I feel your pain. I am only able to train two times a week. Though the improvement is visible, it is missing the necessary time in competition to solidify the new material. I think you should compete more to make yourself better against wider range of opponents. Going 5 games with a 2030 player is good, but there are many 2000 and 2100 players you will meet on your road to 2200 and none of these players are alike. It is a challenge to learn to beat 95 percent of people in that skills range. I am learning it myself having already beaten several 2150s, a bunch more of 2000, and even a 2250. However, the downside is occasional losses to 1800 and 1900s. Not many, but even one will set you back by quite a margin ( if you are looking at ratings ).

I would like to wish you good luck. If you ever need someone to compare notes with you, feel free to contact me. I am not the greatest player, but since we're aiming to achieve the same level, we could stumble on common issues that would be helpful for both of us to be aware of and resolve.

Carry on! Best of wishes!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 08:26 

Hi Leshxa,

Thanks for the post. I am aware of your book and am interested in reading when it comes out in paper form.

As you say the key is learing to beat all the different types of players. Give me someone with inverted rubbers on both side and I am great, give me a long pips player and I fall apart haha.

Congragulations on breaking 2000 thats a good accomplishment, and I think even that was rather quickly. Imagine what you could do if you started as a child, where you would be now.

I think we are officially in a race to reach 2200, good luck getting there. Once I post video after this next tournament I would love to hear your thoughts and critique.

thanks,

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 09:09 

Michael4ster wrote:
Hi Leshxa,

Thanks for the post. I am aware of your book and am interested in reading when it comes out in paper form.

As you say the key is learing to beat all the different types of players. Give me someone with inverted rubbers on both side and I am great, give me a long pips player and I fall apart haha.

Congragulations on breaking 2000 thats a good accomplishment, and I think even that was rather quickly. Imagine what you could do if you started as a child, where you would be now.

I think we are officially in a race to reach 2200, good luck getting there. Once I post video after this next tournament I would love to hear your thoughts and critique.

thanks,

Competition? Awesome! Who will be the first to 2200?! In that case, being a constant philanthropist, I hope you get your ducks lined up and get there sooner than I! I always like team spirit, seems to make things happen better, faster, and smoother!

As far as learning, I am completely opposite. I play defensive players better than inverted players, so I am working on different are of the game. I am looking forward to seeing your videos. I will be uploading mine shortly as well.

Good news about the book, the paper copy is going through a first print pass. If everything comes out good, it will be out very soon.

By the way, here is an interesting link - this was a post I've made back in first months of 2009 when I was 1400, wondering if it is possible to improve. Its an interesting read from myTT brother forum.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23203&PID=272009

Its a good source for inspiration if you ever need some extra mojo :)

Post subject: Re: The Quest
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 10:25 

I did not think I would post until after the tournament which is this weekend. However I am been busy playing and would like to put an update.

In my mind I think I play Table tennis with good form and I look great while playing. However I did video tape myself this past week and when playing it back to watch I can see that I am mistaken. So let me first advise everyone to video yourselves to see what you really look like because its not as pretty as you think. I write this while laughing because I think its funny.

I will not be posting that video because its a bit appaling haha. But I already wrote that I will be posting video of the tournament which is this weekend, so I will do that. I want to correct a few things before posting video.

I never knew I hold the paddle compeltly different than anyone else, I have come to realize that is why I could not get good accuracy with my backhand. I noticed that I was holding the handle very very low. So the past few sessions I have changed that. Its very important the moment you notice something you do wrong you need to fix it immidietly even if it costs you some matches, no doubt this will cost me a few in the tournament but I have to correct it.

Also I have come to the realization that my Mizutani Jun raquet is just to fast and its to hard. I have borrowed a friends TBS which I played with for the first time today. I must say that makes looping ridiculously easy, and blocking my friends super low fast sideloops were a ton easier. So I currently have a post on the forums to buy one so I dont borrow his to long. so let me know if anyone has one for sale.

Still I go into the tournament with high hopes. I think if I can get used to these adjustments rather quickly I will fair well. I still expect to come within top 3 on saturday.

thanks for reading.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 10:48 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
The first time I went to China I got a high ranked coach. First thing he did? Changed my grip, just a little but that was the very first thing he saw. (Shakehands) Sounds like you are on the right track. :)

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 01:14 

I changed the grip a few times too. I had a forehand oriented grip first, then backhand oriented. Now its more neutral. But also my wrist position slightly changed over time.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 03:54 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

To those who are 30+ years old and just having a baby.

Those should not be your excuses. If they are then you will not get there. You will feel like "it's ok, I'm old and I just have a baby" every time some 1900+ guys beat you.

As a defender, I think it's even more difficult for me to run around chopping fast ball from 2200+ players. My rating pretty much stayed the same since I came back to play gain(stopped for 9 months).....if dropped maybe 20 points which is insignificant. Now my little girl is 2 and I'm playing my best ever.

You might be slower but you get wiser!!!

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!