OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 12:05 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
So I was recently asked what my equpiment was changing to. (My old sig said: Equipment hopefully changing soon!)

I realized I had been lazy and hadn't updated it!

Anyway, Now I'm using Donic Appelgren Allplay, lkt rapid sound on my forehand, and gambler reflectoid on my backhand. Just keep the ball controlled....I'd like to find something a bit more Euro/Jap feeling, without the price.

How is Joola Turbo?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 12:14 
Super User

And today is warm.....like no-jacket-warm....whereas yesterday I needed a coat.....

Nothing new in table tennis. I went to the pokemon league tonight and got some cards i needed.

Random fact: There's this house in our neighborhood that some friends of ours lived in. They moved out, and some people bought the house, and now it seems no-one lives there. But there's a bed in there, and one time through the window (Yes, they have their bed by the window facingt he street) we happened to see someone laying there. It doesnt look like there's other furniture though....?

Occasionally there's cars there. Usually not. :?:

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 12:29 
Super User

Tuesday I went to the club and played some good ol' table tennis.....my backhand is getting better (I'm focusing on improving it). I can flick pretty ok with it as a return of serve, but other than that, it's pretty unimpressive. Getting there, though!

I've found that I like to do this fast, dead block to people as a return to a push or light topspin. It really messes people (Who arent loopers) up.

In bad news, one of my clubmates who is new to building rackets I guess misheard another club member. Someone recommended rubber cement to glue a rubber on, and he used contact cement :( I recommended acetone to try to dissolve the glue......

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 23:14 
Super User

Tonight, I may give the Seemiller grip a try. I play close to the table anyway, and I mostly hit loop, push, and block. I will try pushing with the true backhand side (My reflectoid), so I can still push.

Wish me luck! Off to work now.....Dairy Queen. WOOH! Working with ice cream......yum.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 12:48 
Super User

I'll not try to switch to the seemiller.....I'm improving with the shakehand. seemiller just felt awkward. I switched back pretty quick.

I really drilled my backhand tonight. I think it's the weakest part of my game. I actually noticed an improvement. :party:

Played a couple of hardbatters tonight. went to deuce a couple of times with one (still didnt win a game), and beat the other 3 straight. man, is hardbat WEIRD to play against! I had to treat almost everything like light underspin!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2016, 05:08 
Super User

So...I'm back after a bit of a hiatus. Hopefully I'll be able to start playing again regularly, at least every couple of weeks. I am giving up on my grip-switching and EJ days (Mostly, anyway. I might slowly try new rubbers on my FH. Reflectoid is just an amzing BH rubber for the way I play).

News of my life:

I'm married now. Part of the reason for the extended break. Got married August 8, 2016, and still loving it :party: :party: :party:

No kids yet, though :P

I'll be graduating with my B.S. in chemistry in the spring, and have been working on grad school stuff, aiming at a PhD in analytical chemistry. School keeps me quite busy!

I might or might not occasionally post in the blog, but I hope to continue my active membership in the general forum. :)

Good to be back!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 22:34 
Super User

So I caved to the EJ in me. I have been curious to try the Nittaku Acoustic, but didn't really want to spend $150...I've been trying to develop self control.

notfound123 presented too strong a temptation by posting a used one at a good price :headbang: :lol:

Unfrtunately, I won't get to play with it for a couple weeks, probably, as I don't get to play TOO often, but once I do, I'll definitely report as to how I get along with it.

After last night's play, I'm considering moving to a different BH rubber, as the reflectoid lacks something...I may try a different defensive inverted rubber or move to an allround one. I mostly block, chop, push, and occasionally drive or flick on the BH.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 23:49 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Nittaku Acoustic is one of the best. Have fun with it!

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 05:11 
Super User

I'm sure hoping it's as good as everybody says.

I don't want to buy ANOTHER sheet of Mark V. Thinking on trying Galaxy moon as a substitute on the FH. I would try Dawei Inspirit, but can't find any anywhere for sale in the U.S. for a decent price!

I thought the OOAK shop stocked Dawei, but I was mistaken... ;(

We'll see how moon goes. I'll probably try 729 FX Super Soft on the BH. Reflectoid, I'm realizing, has its limitations....

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 09:33 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
THE GAMEr wrote:
I'm sure hoping it's as good as everybody says.

I don't want to buy ANOTHER sheet of Mark V. Thinking on trying Galaxy moon as a substitute on the FH. I would try Dawei Inspirit, but can't find any anywhere for sale in the U.S. for a decent price!

I thought the OOAK shop stocked Dawei, but I was mistaken... ;(

We'll see how moon goes. I'll probably try 729 FX Super Soft on the BH. Reflectoid, I'm realizing, has its limitations....

You can buy Dawei Inspirit Quattro from ColesTT...

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 12:02 
Super User

I ended up getting some inspirit from colestt as some suggested.

Now I am eagerly awaiting the acoustic. Of course, it'll be a week and a half till I get to play at the club anyway :p

I have been thinking about my style...I tend to drive and hit more than loop and rarely back away from the table. Considering trying short pips.

Would short pips work ok on acoustic?Looking at waran and 802-40 potentially. I still want the ability for some opening loops.

And I thought my EJism was over...

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 09:20 
Super User

The acoustic came in Monday (thanks again notfound123), and my rubber order from colestt came in today. I got Dawei Inspirit and LKT Pro XT. Makes for a heavy racket, but I'll live.

Can't wait to give the setup a try. Maybe I can convince my wife to have a hit here soon. I've been showing her the ropes at a table at my university. Though I won't be able to test the bat out thoroughly until next Tuesday, I'll at least get to "get the feel" of the bat.

Still considering trying out a short pips rubber on the FH at some point...I may hold off for a few months while I get a handle on the acoustic. It's a significantly faster blade than my Appelgren Allplay from what I've read!

Quick playing note:

Last time I played at the club, I still had some rust. Got beaten by a guy who somewhat new at the game, coming from tennis (he's been playing this for a few months). He had consistency...I just haven't played in a long time :P It was a VERY close match. We played till game 5, him winning that one 11-9. :headbang:

When I stopped a year and a half or so ago, I would give a very rough estimate that I was around a USATT score of 1200-1300.

By the end of the night, though (after the guy had left), I had warmed up more, and was getting some decent, and regaining some better footwork habits.

Was offered an interesting piece of advice from a better player in the club. He told me I needed to hit/loop faster. He said my shots just weren't dangerous enough, basically. I tend to be somewhat reserved with my shots, even on the offensive. I guess I need to have a bit more confidence.

Here's hoping the acoustic isn't too blazing fast for me!

I REALLY wish I could play more often at this point...later in life, maybe. :(

Anyway, happy thanksgiving to those celebrating it! :party: To those across either pond who don't tend to celebrate it, you're missing out on a grand opportunity for gluttony! :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 18:46 

Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: Donic Bluefire JP02
BH: Donic Bluefire JP02
Happy Thanksgiving GAMEr. Give my regards to the Turkey :D

Enjoy your blog. You seem to have a lot of fun.
You probably would receive quite some good feedback here, if you would post a video.
A smartphone and a cheap (mini)tripod is all you need.

Otherwise , Keep on posting ! :up:

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 00:45 
Super User

Happy thanksgiving to you too, hopper! May you eat and drink too much and sleep well tonight (i.e. pass out in a food coma).

I really should try video taping myself play. I may have the ability to do so. I'll work on that. Thanks for the idea. :)

Anyway, off to the in-laws... :party: (Unlike some, my in-laws are rather agreeable.)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 11:30 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
THE GAMEr wrote:
The acoustic came in Monday (thanks again notfound123), and my rubber order from colestt came in today. I got Dawei Inspirit and LKT Pro XT. Makes for a heavy racket, but I'll live.

Here's hoping the acoustic isn't too blazing fast for me!

I am glad it arrived safe. My advice is to try to stick with it for a while and not worry about winning or losing and not linking your equipment to your short-term results. This blade is a "do-it-all" blade and is something you can grow into. It is not too fast or too slow...at most OFF-. Compared to my Korbels, Acoustics have this soft forgiving feel and will play nice no matter what rubber you slap on them: Tenergy (05, 64), Dawei IQ, MXP, H3 Neo... Tried it all and it all played very well.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next