OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 13:01 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Well, so I've finally decided to start my own blog, much to the chagrin of all you readers. I'll try to keep my stuff brief. Maybe the occasional bit of not-funny humor (it's the kind I'm best at). Without further ado:

So tonight (I play only on Tuesdays due to a lack of having a ride), I did okay. Lost every game, like usual, but everyone said I'm getting better. I guess I'll believe them. Not hard to improve from where I'm at :oops: . My main thing tonight was that, toward the end, I got to practice actual chopping straight for about 20 minutes (What a patient clubmate....thank you), and got to where I almost did okay at it. He didn't throw me around too much, but he did hit it fairly fast.

Of course, I just ordered a set of rubbers from OOAK, reflectoid in 1.5 for my BH, and hurricane 2 in 2.0 for my FH. I suppose reflectoid will be WAY better then 729 super fx for chopping. I can only hope!

That's all for now....

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 14:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good on you THE GAMEr! :up: :up: :up:

The Reflectoid should be considerably less sensitive to spin compare the 729 FX, and it should also feel slower, so those two things combined should give you more control I think, if that's what you're after...

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 14:58 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Good on ya, GAMEr! Nice to see another blog and one that keeps itself brief. Good to hear that you're a determined player and, as you suggest, you can only improve. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger! It'll be interesting to see how you progress, especially with your chopping experiments. :clap:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 22:27 
Super User

Thanks guys. And yes, that's what I'm looking for haggisv...my main problem was keeping them on the table, not netting them. I only netted them when trying to chop a push.

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 00:16 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

Glad to see your not giving up. I used inverted for chopping a few times and I think it was 729 Cream 1.5 red sponge. Its a little harder to work with if your chopping with inverted, but it can happen. I am curious if you chop both FH and BH and if you
use your chops to set-up attacks. I found that chopping with a little side contact instead of chopping veritcle also helps. Keep in mind while training with someone that can loop to work on your chopping does look great and is cool to do..in the real work of tactics you must look at the field of competitors and see just how many really have a strong loop and those that just pick hit with the BH or block and counter. If I decide to chop from mid distance and can find someone that is consistant in doing so, it looks and feels great. But in a game match will I use those skill-sets often enuf to make the training worth my time. I can if I must play mid-distance to return shots from players that really attack and loop. But my "CORE" game is to use my LP to set-up my FH attack or LP attack. I will mix up my BH return using my LP to chop,chopblock,punch and attack within 3 feet of the table. If I need to back off I will. But MY "core" game is not mid distance chopper. I would say please do a video so we can look at what your doing. These guys in this forum have great suggestions and ideas and would love to look and give you some ideas how to improve your game. **YOU want to chop start with a controlled LP on the BH or some anti like Neo. followed by a devistating FH drive that will knock there socks off....IMHO

Peace GIG will be posting video this weekend

:rock: :Chop: :topspin:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 23:15 
Super User

I don't chop to much on FH, no....I try to to counterdrive or block mostly. And once I get better at my chopping, I plan on adding more sidespin chops to my game. Sidespin actually fascinates me. I would like to really incorporate it into my rallies.

And yes, I wait for a weaker ball, then attack. (Mostly a FH attack)

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 00:36 
Super User

Got to play some yesterday. I'm starting to get a decent reverse pendulum serve and a tomahawk serve. Also trying that pendulum serve where the ball comes off the table, then back on with the spin.

Other than that, my chops are starting to look a little better, and my BH in general is getting better. Took a while....a jpen backhand is quite a bit different than a SH backhand.

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 13:03 
Super User

Got my new rubbers in! Can't play for a little while though... :( oh well. Hurricane 2 is TACKY!!!!! And oddly, so was the reflectoid. Hmm......can't wait to feel them in action.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012, 14:56 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Hurricane 2 is hella tacky! My sheet was also brick hard, and it played great, albeit it having not much feel

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2012, 23:38 
Super User

Well, I got to play with the new rubbers, and I have to say, I really like them! The hurricane is a little unforgiving, but that's probably a good thing while I'm developing. The reflectoid is GREAT at chopping.

I actually started off pretty well last night. Beat a guy one game that I usually can only get 7 at the most.

Also played a friend a couple of days ago and beat him 3 out of four4. The only other time I had played him was probably almost a year ago, and he KILLED me then. So I guess I'm improving quite a bit.

And lastly, I have a resolution to jumprope 100 times a day now, to improve footwork.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2012, 05:29 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

THE GAMEr wrote:
Well, I got to play with the new rubbers, and I have to say, I really like them! The hurricane is a little unforgiving, but that's probably a good thing while I'm developing. The reflectoid is GREAT at chopping.

I actually started off pretty well last night. Beat a guy one game that I usually can only get 7 at the most.

Also played a friend a couple of days ago and beat him 3 out of four4. The only other time I had played him was probably almost a year ago, and he KILLED me then. So I guess I'm improving quite a bit.

And lastly, I have a resolution to jumprope 100 times a day now, to improve footwork.

For footwork, a fun drill I saw Xu Xin doing on a video was the coach would throw balls and Xu would try to footwork to them and hit the ball with his foot... Looked really cool, fun and challenging!

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2012, 10:08 
Super User

Haha that sounds awesome, ILP. Especially considering Xu Xin's footwork :O

Unfortunately, I don't have a coach. I don't live in a bigger city. I am lucky to have a club even.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 04:56 
Super User

Well, as evidienced from my play tuesday night, Either chinese rubber isn't actually for me or my rubber is too fast. Probably both. I think I will buy one of my clubmates old rackets for about 7 dollars from him. I think it's a Joola tango (FH) on Donic perrson powerplay. Juic 999 on the backhand. Maybe still a bit fast, but I was playing better with it than with H2 on the FH He also has one with rapid tibhar on the FH. Is that slower than ultra? Not sure what the blade is.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 14:18 
Super User

Decided to dig out the old (a few months?) blog again.

So just recently I revamped my FH loop. I had a bad tendency to try to fix my stroke on the middle, almost moving my bat in a semicircle motion. i now just straight stroke through the ball, resulting in more consistency and power! :party: :party:

I've decided to stick with LKT rapid sound on the FH for now, but I'd like to try galaxy neptune pips on the BH, and a donic appelgren allplay....

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 23:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Glad you dug it out, its the first time I'd seen it :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.