OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 82  Next
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 00:35 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Yesterday I played for 6 hours, most drills but some matches. I started with Hellcat on BH for some drills. Very safe and easy, god for attacks and everything. But rather predictable and rarely any problms for the opponent. But I may return to that later if Aggressor feels too unsafe.

I made some multiball drills with Aggressor and I start to get a hang on blocking with it. I still struggle (of course) to have the right bat angle when using it, I still have my wrist programmed with the angle for anti. This will take some time. But I can handle most attacks now (unless I have the wrong bat angle).

Slow spinny loops I can either chop from a distance, block passive with closed bat or carefully hit the ball back with a very thin touch (just grace the ball). The last version takes the speed off the ball and results in unpredictable spin.

Fast topspins or smashes might require some speed dampening, but otherwise you just hold up your bat kn the right angle.

Drives or safe loops you can return in many different ways. You can attack (generates a fast, flat almost back spinnet stroke that mostly is a direct winner), you can chop block or use a sidespin chop block, or just a passive block (that will not be good, most opponnets will kill it). And you can slowly drive the ball back, making it curve some in the air :).

Back spin can be pushed back if you are very carful, it is easy to push too far. You can lift/flip it, but you need to have a more opened bat than with many other rubbers. You can also sidesweep. Bumps ar difficult with ABS-ball since it has almost no spin. But I will develop my flip and make it faster and more precise. Many opponents misread the spin, it has more topspin than you think. And I sometimes serves side/backspin, and when I lift/flip the push the ball curves a lot inte opponents body :).

I use Aggresor on a fast blade so chopping is not easy. But the best way for me, is to use a very opend bat, almost horizontal, when chopping. This way I don’t ad much speed and I can bend the pips better. If I chop more vertical the ball leaves the bat before I can impart spin, and it also tends to go long.

Returning fast serves is still a little difficult, I need to work on that.

But all in all, I am having lots of fun with this runner and I feel I have only discovered like a tenth of its potential. And even though it is diffucult to control I still feel rather safe with it, being able to contol the outcomming speed rather good (you can slow the speed down rather easily with Aggressor). But you can’t play it passively, you must be active with it and not just hold your bat up.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 02:57 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
good to read about it. I didn't play any LP or MP with fast blade. I can imagine that the touch is more difficult as the time reaction is very fast. Good for speed but more difficult for control. The result is the importance.

I play the VKM offensive blade. ( blue one). The faster of the 3 VKM. It is made of mohogany so it is a solid blade and can hit hard and go fast. Made for modern defense. I tried all around blade that was slower than the VKM offensive.

Do you hit sometime the push or the US of the opponant with you blade pointing toward the floor ? ( up side down.) Its kind of a pendulum swing from back to front. The move finished with the bat going a bit upward. It is very good if the ball is low on the table. It can be punch very hard and it flies at low strajectory with a skid on the table after that. Very difficult to counter attack that. The opponant has often no choice to just lift it. easy to kill. Chop will just send thee ball in the net. Block it and the ball did n't reach the net. Maybe high loop but you can kill it with the forehand then. Right or left at will. This my preferable shot.

I also use this shot to begin a rally against a fast low ball. To counter a fast serve is rather difficult for pimple as they can't grip the ball enough to send it over the net. Also a fast ball has a reversal that send the ball donward and because it is a serve it is boucing first on the other side of the table and the ball came afterthat very low on your side. Your lift move make the ball go over the net with usually a float. It is mush easier after the first return to then counter hit the secound ball as the ball has a higher bouce because it fly directly on your side from the opponant racket. This return often breack the automatic third ball attack from the opponant.

You probably notice that the pimples are vertically aligned. Practice a chop with the pimpe vertical and then with the pimples horizontal. The chop are then very different. Horizontaly, the pips really scrape more the ball so you can put your rotation with this. Also a more linear shot. Vertically the ball seems to just enter between the pips and lift more and have more a float effect.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 00:29 
Super User

played 3 matches yesterday.

One against a chopper bloker with inverted on both side.

Very easy win. His block was not working at all as my drive, lift make him send his ball in the net. He started to chop more. Inverted rubber can really put heavy su on its ball. But more he put backspin easier to hit it back with a top spin reversal. Some of the hit behind the base line just looks like heavy inverted top spin but it was not as his block still ended in the net or return high floating. I just smashed it back.

Def & attack, I read that you have problem with pushing without going long. I found that pip with vertical alignment have a more rougher touch for the push.it is different than the regular horizontal pips alignment. What work well for me is to push with a kind of harponing the ball with the tip of the racket going a bit forward down.The pips are aligned perpendiculary to the net. The bat at around 30 to 45 % angle. You will feel the ball going between the pips working inside and going out with less speed but of down topspin. Really smoother feeling. Often the ball drop so fast that the player is always late to hit the ball on time. A sensation that I rarely had before.

Horizontal chop VS vertical chop: " Doing the push with the pips parallelle to the net is rougher as the ball is hitting the big pips so the ball is more projected and create a float that goes long. You can do this little drill: stand far behind the table and send a ball upward. Let it bounced once on the floor and then when its coming back down again chop it with the pips horizontally to send it to the other side of the table. . After some try do the chop vertically. You will see the horizontal chop tend to go more downward where the vertical one tend to go more upward. I often send my ball into the net when I chop a light topspin as my chop is to heavy downward. If i chop vertically the ball slowly rise to the other side of the table. On the opposite on heavy topspin I used the horizontal chop dowward to keep the ball from poping in the air. The pips keeps the chop low and fast. (JSY chop) Chop block are way better reversal with vertical pip chop ( the tip of the blade going toward the table).

Let me know about this. If you feel the same.

The other player I play was a left handed looper.
( 2nd in my club)

I received most of the time with the pips. His underspin serves was a delight for me. I experienced a lot!!! of distorsion with insicive push. The ball just look like a butterfly. Sometime just falling down so fast that the opponant hit the edge of his racket very often. When he played safe with float ball I got my attack ready with strong backhand drive into his stomach. I did a few chop far from the table but its not my style. I prefer to fish to change the momentum and come back at the table.

The last one of an lp chopper.

suddently chopper doesn't bother me. Push then loop then drive or soft block with my pips. 3-0 The chops are not dangerous anymore. As he stand far for chopping, sending him drive with the pimples just send the ball to low impossible to return effectively.

So a great night. I need to practice more to not be afraid to be more incisive. It really change the dynamics of the game.

I got the 1.5 mm agressor today. I will put it on and give you my observation.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 11:40 
Super User

comparaison 1.3 vs 1.5 mm agressor:

This is a very brief comparaison as I was alone and just did some few actions. I'm playing the 1.3 mm for a month now. I just received the 1.5mm.

First, of course the weight is different. Nothing to reject the 1.5 mm but with my mohogany blade and my DHS skyline it is more heavy. The positive aspect of it is that the drive is more rapid of course.

By spinning the ball and then make it bounce on the pips rubbers there is no difference. The ball just continue its spin. The big pips just stop the ball to hit the sponge. ( it is just the speed of the gravity so it is very light.

Chop: it seems that you can do a bit of your own underspin with the 1.5mm. The speed is increased. The grip is better. The push are lower and really grip the ball compare to the 1.3 where it tend to roll over the pips abit and more arc is created on no spin ball. Can't compare the reversal as I idin't any one with me to feed me ball. Anxious to see how it will react with a real ball from the opponant.

Hit: the control is much better. Way much better. Because of this control I tend to hit more like inverted. with an angle on the blade. I was able to vrete top spin. I don't want to loose the traight hit that is so difficult for the opponnant. Is that control will help in my play and control of the top spin with counter hit ? I may succeed to make an even more variation on my hit between a flat hit and a " top spin" hit Witch one is better for me ?

the change of direction will be increased so it is a very good thing.

Good news, I still can do my bumps low. I don't know if they still will be skiddy on the table. But the lower part is similar. It need to be confirm with an opponant.

I tend to think that my position will make me a feet further from the table to balance with the speed of the pips.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 15:23 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Interesting. You should put your posts about Aggressor in the Aggressor thread so people can find it, no idea having them hidden deep in my blog. I will write there two when I have more to say.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 02:28 
Super User

It make sense. I just did that. go see about a very good lp/Mp player.
thank you.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 11:45 
Super User

Hi def-attack,

Go to my topic about agressor 1,3 vs agressor 1,5 mm. You will see a comparaison

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 11:45 
Super User

Hi def-attack,

Go to my topic about agressor 1,3 vs agressor 1,5 mm. You will see a comparaison

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 07:47 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I have been away from TT due to a heavy cold (perhaps the flu) for more than two weeks, but today I had my first session in 17 days or so. I have been playing a little during this time but not doing any drills. It felt really good to be back! And I have plenty to work on :).

The main parts to focus on now is BH blocking and attacking with Aggressor. Attacking back spin is working well but attacking pop ups are more difficult, I tend to send them to the net. So a little more opend bat at those attacks but otherwise i mostly need to close my bat on BH (comming from frictionless anti). Especially when blocking heavy top spin I need to close my bat. And be much more active than when blocking with anti. Also, I tend to drift away to FH side with my BH a little too much when returning serves and blocking. My spine needs to be re-programmed...

It will take a little more time before I have gotten rid of those minor fault I still do with BH or when I hesitate what stroke to do, but I must say that the transition has been very smooth so far. Thursday last week I played two singles and one doubles in our local league. I was not in shape for it but with some painkillers and suger I managed to get through it. I actually won the first match, against a fellow I have lost twice to the last year when using anti. Then I lost to another player who I beat when I had anti on BH, but I could blame it on the cold :).

So today I played rather good, winning 3 of 4 sets against my most common training partners (who I almost never got to beat with anti and ABS-ball). Here is a short clip from the last set, that I lost 10-12 or similar:

http://youtu.be/mP7oSGOEfRk

Not many points there where you can spot the effect of the pips. But when I flip against back spin and side spin the ball is very nasty. Also, when attacking against slight top spin the low ball can be very leathal, but I don’t think I ever did that in this clip.

I had some blocking problems, and I used my BH too far to FH side, and I missed a couple of FH smashes, but as a whole it was ok.

Oh, a little bonus is that I now again can serve with my normal grip. When I had anti I had troubles holding the bat between index finger and thumb due to lack of frip on the anti, but now I can do that again :).

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 03:49 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Glad you are enjoying the MP. I have put Dawei 388C-1 on my viscaria, and played a full night for the first time. In the past, I got too frustrated with it, and went back to double inverted chopping. In fact, I wouldn't have opted to play with the dawei had my defplay's Omega VII not start peeling away form the edge.

But last night was kind of promising...I managed to get some real good hits on the BH which garnered some "oohhhs" from on-lookers as well as my opponent. That being said, I put so many damn balls in the net. I mean...a LOT. And I also blocked many balls long...blocking is not working for we very well. I started getting the hang of it later by keeping a VERY soft hand and an open racket...kind of like LPs. Honestly, given how bad I've been with this in the past, I was happy to get a game off my practice partner, who is playing really well these days.

This MP is definitely more SP like in terms of hitting, but far more LP like in terms of blocking. At least, the 388C is. so, I'm struggling with angles and grip pressure.

I think, to be honest, I'd be more comfortable with either a thicker slower sponge, or an SP.

How are you dealing with blocks (I know we have different rubbers, but they are both MPs so...)

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 06:56 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I think a key is to use a stiff blade. I tried MP and SP on VKM a few years ago. Ok for chopping but blocking and hitting was difficult (different results every stroke). I think perhaps Hellcat could be more easy for you?

For blocking slow top spin now I tend to slow loop it back with BH, kind of brushing the top of the ball. For a faster loop with less spin I do a more normal block but with a slight upwards movement to light the ball over the net. Or I do a more passive block but with more closed bat than with anti, where I try to dampend the speed.

At 1:13 in the clip above I to the first kind of block and also makes the return very slow and short. My opponet managed to attack it but it was not easy for him :).

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 07:06 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I have now played with Aggressor 1,5 mm on BH for almost 2 months (but I was away two weeks due to illness). I think I am starting to get a hang on it. Spinny loops must be blocked either with a light touch and the right bat angle, or with upward movement, like a slow loop. Fast loops needs to be blocked passively, perhaps with dampening the speed a little since the rubber is rather fast on high impact.
Opening against back spin is very good once you find the right amount of force and bat angle. You do it like a flip. If you serve back/sidespin andopponent pushes it back, you should use this flip and aim at opponents elbow. Your attack will curve a lot in the air and make it difficult for opponent to hit the ball.

Today I also tried Neubauer KO for a few minutes on my spare blade. It was easier for passive blocking and pushing over the table, but once you tried to block more actively it was not as good as Aggressor. Many blocks went to the net and block that hit the table was not as weird as from. Aggressor. More odd balls and fun effects from Aggressor - I will not change.

Here are two sets from tonight’s session:

http://youtu.be/oIwctCFI7AA

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 07:46 
Super User

Great play DA. It certainly appears that Agressor suits your BH. The slow opening topspin rolls with Agressor are good and provides good opportunities for bringing your strong FH into play. Keep it up! :up:

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 16:08 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

TTbuddy wrote:
Great play DA. It certainly appears that Agressor suits your BH. The slow opening topspin rolls with Agressor are good and provides good opportunities for bringing your strong FH into play. Keep it up! :up:

Thanks! To me it has a lot of potential. I have only discovered the basics yet. I surley can learn to be more consistent, to do emergency blocks with BH, to make those rolls lower and harder, etc. In the two sets I played a few BH attacks rather hard, that is where I am aiming. My first step had been to feel somehow safe with BH, so I won’t be afraid when someone attacks to it (as was the case with anti and ABS-ball). Now I am starting to put preassure on opponent with my BH blocks by making them slow and odd or by keeping them fast and low with slight backspin.

But I have been forced to work on my whole game plan and how I move, from what positions I can use my FH and so on. The game is more physical demanding and I need to strengthen my back and legs (and loose some weight) to be able to play how I want. I get lots of attackable returns to my body or almost BH where I sometimes can step around and use FH, but that puts my lower back and other parts under a lot of preassure.

We had our last league gathering last weekend and we managed to end up 2nd, having only one more single match won than the third team (if we had won the last match 8-6 instead of 8-5 we would have ended up as third). Our second place gives us a chance to advance to a higher league, but there are qualifications first, next weekend (we face two oher teams in a short tournament where all three plays each oter and the best is moved to the higher division, the 2nd and 3rd are offered spots on a waiting list). So I need to get my sour lower back in shape before that...

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 17:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
you play well with the aggressor.are your results better with this rubber?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 82  Next