OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 82  Next
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 04:16 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
peterpong wrote:
Will you use your new set up blade & diabolic for the full season or is there a possibility that you may change something if you feel something isnt right?
Im curious as i changed something very slightly but immediately changed back for more security

There is always a chance for a change. Minor changes only takes a few sessions to get used to. But changing blade is something different. We have a long break the whole of December (and a few more weeks). This is when I first planned to change my blade. But that was because I did not expect to have to play with the new ball until after christmas. Now the club that arranges most of our team matches choosed to use it drom the start and that is the main reason I changed blade between thise two matches.

I will keep Invictus and practice with the new ball. But I also beed to test the setup with other balls to make sure it works. I might get back to Revolution later but not the next weeks.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 18:35 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Here is a clip from training last night. This was my first real session with DMS Diabolic 1,6 mm on the DMS Invictus blade. I also borrowed my training partner's BH rubber for my FH, a Xiom Omega V Pro max. This worked very good! Nice grip, good control and good speed at high impact. Also very controled at low impact, not bouncy at all. I have found that H3 does not rock well at all together with this blade and with this new ball that we are using (ABS-material, Stiga Perform) the spin decreases very quickly - most of it is gone after the bounce. So I do not have much help from the tackiness of H3 and I might as well go with more mechanical spin.

All together this means I hade an almost completely new setup for this session, and a new ball with very little spin. Very frustrating. The drills I tried earlier in the evening did not go well. But match game was actually ok. I guess it had to do with me being forced to play more active on both wings. Passive blocks israrely a good option with this ball (but there are still occasions when blocking is a good option and works good).

Now I will order a sheet of Xiom for my own. And then just keep practicing. And perhaps evaluate Diabolic. I am not sure it is a keeper, I feel that it is much more grippy after just a few sessions. But that might not be a problem since there are other things that are good. But I would like a little more control. Or perhaps that would just make me more passive? :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 21:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
I really appreciate your views and feedback on the diabolic,mega block and transformer and the various blades.The strange thing is is that its making me stick with traditional antispin.the best anti in 1.8 is perfect for me with the defplay.low throw,blocks anything.not much deception though. :)

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 23:51 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

peterpong wrote:
I really appreciate your views and feedback on the diabolic,mega block and transformer and the various blades.The strange thing is is that its making me stick with traditional antispin.the best anti in 1.8 is perfect for me with the defplay.low throw,blocks anything.not much deception though. :)

Good that you have found a setup that works for you :up:.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 00:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

for the moment ;)

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 06:28 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Today I had a short session using the new Donic ABS 40+ ball. It was very similar to Stiga Perform, perhaps a little slower. But just as little spin :(. At the moment I just feel like this is no fun at all. My whole game plan, or the possibility to execute it, is erased with this ball. Blocking with anti is a waste of time, serving with spin, looping with arc, pushing, everyting but full on attack is a waste of time. Whatever I tried to do it all went wrong.
I removed my Diabolic and replaced it with a wrinkled 1,5 mm Transformer. I feel the sponge of Diabolic is not working well, it is unstable and unpredictable to me. I hope Transformer feels better with this ball. Otherwise... eh... no idea. MP? Reflectoid?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 06:45 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Def-attack wrote:
Today I had a short session using the new Donic ABS 40+ ball. It was very similar to Stiga Perform, perhaps a little slower. But just as little spin :(. At the moment I just feel like this is no fun at all. My whole game plan, or the possibility to execute it, is erased with this ball. Blocking with anti is a waste of time, serving with spin, looping with arc, pushing, everyting but full on attack is a waste of time. Whatever I tried to do it all went wrong.
I removed my Diabolic and replaced it with a wrinkled 1,5 mm Transformer. I feel the sponge of Diabolic is not working well, it is unstable and unpredictable to me. I hope Transformer feels better with this ball. Otherwise... eh... no idea. MP? Reflectoid?

I feel you. :( I tried this ball against two good looping players and it was like they didn't have problem with my chops at all. When the ball hit the ground, it was full of backspin, though. They said, unlike with the seamless ball, this ball didn't stop due to the backspin. It felt very strange to me.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 07:56 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
upon closer inspection: i watched a few minutes of your last uploaded youtube video with the abs balls. what i see is not as horrific as you portray it. its actually quite ok! and some of your problems are self manufactured. first of all, 90% of the time you serve sidespin serves, for the obvious reason that you want to attack the next ball with your forehand. instead of doing that try to serve a semi long underspin serve with a lot of backspin so that the opponent cannot make a direct point but needs to loop with a lot of spin...thats what you should block with your anti even if its in the middle area of the table instead of playing forehand. the problem with your game is that you play a lot of forehand on the whole table. that as such is not wrong. but its bad for the anti if you are not making direct points, because if the opponent blocks your loops on the anti it will be no spin balls that are coming at you. so i guess if you really want to play such a strongly dominated forehand game you need to improve your forehand to make more direct points with your loops. or you find ways to get some massive backpin into the game that your opponent needs to loop and then allow yourself to block that with the anti instead of going for the forehand again.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 11:05 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I feel you as well on the balls as well. I messed up and EJd before a tournament so that was the main reason for my issue, however the new BTY ball is garbage and definitely hurt as well. The ABS is worse in some situations.

There is no spin, and people flat hit balls even when they were low...freaking weird. The SP players, and the hitter/drivers in our area are gaining ground on everyone. Flat balls...I have been losing steam with TT lately.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 16:18 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

AA wrote:
upon closer inspection: i watched a few minutes of your last uploaded youtube video with the abs balls. what i see is not as horrific as you portray it. its actually quite ok! and some of your problems are self manufactured. first of all, 90% of the time you serve sidespin serves, for the obvious reason that you want to attack the next ball with your forehand. instead of doing that try to serve a semi long underspin serve with a lot of backspin so that the opponent cannot make a direct point but needs to loop with a lot of spin...thats what you should block with your anti even if its in the middle area of the table instead of playing forehand. the problem with your game is that you play a lot of forehand on the whole table. that as such is not wrong. but its bad for the anti if you are not making direct points, because if the opponent blocks your loops on the anti it will be no spin balls that are coming at you. so i guess if you really want to play such a strongly dominated forehand game you need to improve your forehand to make more direct points with your loops. or you find ways to get some massive backpin into the game that your opponent needs to loop and then allow yourself to block that with the anti instead of going for the forehand again.

Thanks Amir.
I do play a lot more FH with this ball, and especially against this opponent (my regular trainingpartner who knows my game very well). I play this now because I have had very bad results trying to play the typical blocking style with pushes and back spin to invite the opponent to loop and then block and attack the push. I lost security and confidence in my blocks with this ball and therefore I do it less. And that might be ok with me but I still need to do those blocks when the opportunity occurs or when a more offensive game is not the best choice. I need to be able to rely on those blocks for my game to work as well as I need to be able to rely on my FH loop to work. If any of those are having a day off my whole game falls apart. And being able to rely on anti blocks is what I miss now.

But, I do agree on what you said about my game, surley I can work a lot more with back spin and block, I just need to practice blocks a lot more again, and also find security in pushes and semi long back spin serves. When I do block and place it well I almost always get a chance to attack.

Next session, whenever it is, I will try Transformer. I have had it on this blade but never tried it with this ball. I hope that the sponge of Transformer will feel more linear and stable. I think that the combination of the multi geared Invictus and multi two-geared sponge of Diabolic at this moment with this ball is just too many unknown factors for me. I hope to eliminate one with this change. If it feels good I will try Transfomer in 1,0 mm to keep the ball lower.

I can live with less spin ob blocks, bo problem. But then I must feel in control lf length and height of the blocks. I really hope this will help.

Thanks for the encouragements!

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 21:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Whats the best do it all "jack of all trades glanti"that gives reasonable results with all balls.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 22:53 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

peterpong wrote:
Whats the best do it all "jack of all trades glanti"that gives reasonable results with all balls.

No idea. They all have their pro's and con's. But it seems Diabolic has a good balance between control, speed and spin reversal, at least as long as it is fresh. Some reports that it changes quite s lot over time (but that is then deal with most fantis).

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 16:12 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Now I have had a few sessions with Transformer 1,5 on Invictus using the ABS ball and this is a little better. Returned back spin is about the same I think but control is better and more predictable, more linear (not dynamic). But I feel that a less mushy anti would be better with this ball so I will revisit Bison next session.

No matter what I am now sure I cannot build my game plan around blocking fast and heavy loops with anti. I need to put my opponent under more preussare so he/she cannot loop with full force to my BH (this I could allow with Mega Block and the old plastic ball).

I have identified two paths that I can choose to follow. The first one is to get an anti that is faster and thinner and try to use BH with anti more like Sriram Sushmit. With this style I need to build my game around aggressive use of the anti to set up for FH attack. I don't think I will be able to block many fast loops and land them on the table in the beginning. To see if this path is a good one for me I have ordered a sheet of Gorilla in 1,0 mm (not ABS version). I hope this will go well with my Invictus blade but I may start with the similar but slower Cubixx100 (also DMS).

The other path is to play more like Simon Huth and use the anti almost as little as possible or at least mix the game up a lot with twiddles. And not being all about staying close to the table. This is what I have been trying lately. And for this I will now test Bison again (I tried it half a year ago and it worked well but with the old plastic ball Mega Block suited my game, the way it was at that time, better.

And some interesting news: When I mailed Neubauer about what version of Gorilla to choose they offered me to try out their new version of Bison (not for sale yet). They also work on improvements for Rhino and Buffalo the make them better with this ball. And it is one of these new version I will try. I am really looking forward to this!!!! And I know DMS also is working on a new anti more suited for this ball.

So next up, while waiting for Gorilla and new Bison, is to revisit old Bison (a little wrinkled but probably ok).

Last edited by Def-attack on 22 Oct 2017, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 00:47 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
Why is there so much attention on that ball ? Don't you have many balls there ? Or it is the ball the tournament is playing with ?

In canada we usually play tournament with nittaku ( very solid and heavy ball ) or shoshofa. ( not sure of the speeling) a very good ball but a little bit lighter. Look more as the older size.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 01:56 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

maddrag wrote:
Why is there so much attention on that ball ? Don't you have many balls there ? Or it is the ball the tournament is playing with ?

In canada we usually play tournament with nittaku ( very solid and heavy ball ) or shoshofa. ( not sure of the speeling) a very good ball but a little bit lighter. Look more as the older size.

I rant about it because it is so different that I need to change my game.

I don't get to choose balls at league matches or competitions and this is the most common ball.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 82  Next