OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 82  Next
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 08:03 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Now I have had my first full session with neubauer Power Attack on BH (before I have had 30 minutes practice,
20 minutes with the robot and then 4 matches (singles) in my local league. This time I focused on returning back spin and returning serves. That worked ok in the sets. I did not practice blocking and that can be seen in the video :(. Also, my FH were for some reason very badly calibrated. I wanted to kill as soon as I could and that did not pay off. I played too aggressive in relation to how my shape was.

I noticed that the handle should be horizontal, not near vertical, when attacking with this setup. If I hold my bat with head pointing upwards instead of pointing to the wall, I missed a lot more of my attacks/drives.

Even thoug I made horribly many unforced errors, you can still see what Power Attack can do (and not do). And it is a lot of fun to use!

http://youtu.be/-2U7iKkJ5k8

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 09:40 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
honest opinion? the video makes clear that you are having trouble with the fact that the rubber isnt meat, but also isnt fish (as we say in german). on the one hand you are trying to attack loops with a slick surface (lands in the net) and when you block, the opponent has no trouble with the block. i think you would be better served playing with a classic anti (either fast or slow) if you are trying to pull off that type of style. you will have more control and have more speed to outblock or counterhit the loop.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 16:11 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

AA wrote:
honest opinion? the video makes clear that you are having trouble with the fact that the rubber isnt meat, but also isnt fish (as we say in german). on the one hand you are trying to attack loops with a slick surface (lands in the net) and when you block, the opponent has no trouble with the block. i think you would be better served playing with a classic anti (either fast or slow) if you are trying to pull off that type of style. you will have more control and have more speed to outblock or counterhit the loop.

Thanks! And that is a nice expression :).
I have been thinking about the same. And also if I should use a slow or controlled inverted in BH, like Reflectoid. And this is why I asked you about Master Anti. I also have been thinkng about Django and some other Antis. But with the little spin from this ball I realised how little effect I should get and then I might just as well go with inverted.

But this rushing ahead. With this rubber I still get some effect (not seen in this match because my opponent ised used to me with Transformer or Bison or Mega Block). And I can also think of this rubber as a middle between Bison and Gorilla. So I might choose Gorill after using this rubber. I am not even close to sure yet :). But for the first time with this ball, it feels fun to play with BH again.

Now, what the video shows is me trying to be as aggressive as I possible can. That is not the best way to play with that rubber. And not the best way against that opponent. A more balanced approach is needed where I attack back spin and loose shoths with slight top spin. Loops should be blocked. I did not do any really good block in the video, but they are actually quite nice, and difficult to read. Also, playing short on service returns, pushing against back spin (generating slight top spin), just guiding the ball back with a light touch and keeping the ball low, is stuff to work on. The feeling is very different from Bison or any other slick anti, so it will take some time to adapt. But I see potential.

With this change I kind of choose to adapt my playing style to the rubber, not the other way around. But also, I try to adapt my style more to my natural instincts. But if the rubber is the One for that I cannot tell yet, only that it is fun to play with and that is good enough for the moment :). But I will aslo try my new 0,6 mm Gorilla a little later.

Be well!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2018, 07:47 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Now I have a few more sessions and matches with my Dr Neubauer Power Attack on BH and it is slowly getting better. And I am getting to know what can be done and what can not be done. I often comes down to how hard you with the rubber. If you hit hard and precisw without hesitations, you can attack top spins quite well. If you hesitate on attacks the ball won't dig into the rubber and start to rise och not make it past the net, If you hit hard and activate the sponge you also need to be precise in bat angel through out the stroke. You should only use the wrist to ad speed at contact point, not to make the bat brush the ball (that should be done against back spin).

My biggest problems so far is returning fast serves to my BH, attacking back spin without making the ball go long or to the net, and blocking loops. So one might ask why the hell I am using this rubber :^) . Well, it makes my whole game better and more active. I tend to avoid my bH a little more, making room for my FH. And with the ABS ball my FH is a lot better (especially looping back loops is great). And I can attack slight top spins and back spins rather good (I will get better at this, I still need to get to know the rubber better and read spin better). Those attacks are often winners or I can go for a killer the next shot. I realized with Bison+ and the ones I used previous that I cannot rely on anti blocks with this ball and if I don't play that game I don't need to seek opportunities to block loops with anti any more. And if I don't seek those moments, I really don't need to be very safe at blocking loops. I won't let my opponent loop with full force to my BH anymore. And for some occasonal blocks this anti works well, I just need to adjust a little more to it and be more safe. But I am getting there.

All in all, I am having much more fun using this setup than the I had with Bison, Transformer, Diabolic and Mega-Block (since I am stuck with the ABS-ball). I am looking forward to the next competition (the day after tomorrow) and the next league gathering. After that I am to participate in Swedish veteran champinships and hopefully get to face some really good opponents.

Here are a few sets from the last match of today's session. We were not very focused :oops: and I made far too many easy mistakes (missing serves, missing the whole ball, over hitting FH attacks etc). But there are a few good points I think, like the one starting at 4:15, where I hit through a low spin loop with my anti 8) .

I really need to keep my serves lower, and one way is to hit the ball at a lower point when I serve.
I need to place my attacks closer to opponents base line.
I need to move better, especially now when my game is faster. This is something I was a little surprised by, that I would have troubles getting in position for FH at the right time (sometimes too soon, sometimes too late, like at 13:46, where I moved away too far from the table). But of course that will be a problem when I return the ball mcch faster from BH.

Be well!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 17:32 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Competiton this weekend was not good, too unfocused and the touch was not there. I met a young dude that I should have beaten with a more safe BH rubber. But the first match was good although a loss. Some really good points though.

I realized I gave up Diabolic very quickly when it was clear that it did not give enough reversal with ABS-ball. Then, in October, I tried to find another way to keep playing the blocking game with ABS-ball and after a month of testing I gave that up. And then I tried Gorilla and Power Attack and thenI also tried a more offensive style. I will keep to that path because it is more fun and I think it will pay off later. But it is a big step from slow anti to Power Attack. So next step is to try Diabolic again, but on my Stiga Carbonado. And I will try it for the type of game I have tried to learn lately, with a much more active and offensive Anti-BH. Tomorrow I will know more how Diabolic works for that game!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 19:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
You are a bit like me.You try lots of things and then go back to what you think is best.From your vids i definitely think that the slow blocking antis are for you.You can then get that good f/h in quick.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 20:57 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

peterpong wrote:
You are a bit like me.You try lots of things and then go back to what you think is best.From your vids i definitely think that the slow blocking antis are for you.You can then get that good f/h in quick.

It also that different material works better against a certain type of opponets and is more easy if you are a little off. A faster anti works against more passive and secure players while a slow anti that is not as good for attacks works better against aggressive players. I am not sure yet what will be the best in the long run. But at least I must test Diabolic on my favourite blade :)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 00:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
I certainly think that having 2 set ups is good.
i would like a very secure set up with megablock or diabolic on the b/h.the other set up would be NBA on the b/h(still very secure).
Have you ever tried toni hold anti.What did you think of juic neo??

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 01:18 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I am actually not thinkiing about having two setups, at least not at the same time. If I change it will take some time to get used to the new even if Indon’t need to change my game a lot.

I only tried neo anti for about one session before I tried any other anti. Nice feeling and control, but totally harmless, no spin reversal. Never tried Toni Hold.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 16:01 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Diabolic was ok, will need more tests against other opponnents before I can say more. Like said before, not enough back spin to build a game around short blocks, but it is safe enough and attacking back spin is good. I might try a thinner sponge if I buy a new sheet, the 1,6 mm is very mushy.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 07:21 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Today we had our first two league matches for the year. The arranging club had let us know a few weeks in advance that they would be using the old Stiga plastic ball (Optimum). So earlier this week I practiced with that ball and with Diabolic 1,6 mm on my Stiga Carbonado 190 blade. It takes s few sessions to get back to that game I play with that ball (and that game is difficult and less effective with ABS-ball). And next weekend I will be entering the Swedish Veteran Champs in my home town, and there we will be using the ABS-ball again. All this changing makes me dizzy...

Anyhow, today went well, I played five singles and two doubles, only lost one single and one double (we played horrible). The loss in singles was the first match of the day against a really strong player (not many in our league has beaten him). Not very good playing from my side, I wasn’t really awake (a year ago I lost to him 11-9 in deciding, now he won in 3 straight). But then I beat a very tricky player that I haven’t beaten before, it felt very good. I won 1st and 4th with 15-13, he took 2nd easy and I took third easy. Third single in that match was easier and that sealed the team match, a win 8-5 :).
After a short lunch break I was facing another I had not beaten before. But last time we met I used SP on BH, a few years ago. Now I won first two very easy and third with 12-10, it felt great. Second single was aginst a 78 year old semi-defender (born 1939). He is lefty and uses Anti Power on FH and some slow tacky Friendship on BH. He hits, chops and blocks on both sides and pushes with enormous back spin from inverted BH. In October I lost to him but this time I won 3-1 after very close games i first and fourth. And later on we won that team match as well :).

I am very satisfied with the outcome of this day, it felt great being able to play that style again. So now it is back to the spinless ABS-ball again. But for my FH that works better and I use my FH a lot more than my BH, at least for winning points. But I am curious how ABS-ball and Diabolic on Carbonado will work, I only practiced one hour with that combination and it felt rather ok.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 06:41 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Today I continued my training with Diabolic 1,6 mm on BH on Stiga Carbonado 190 with the ABS-ball. I have been busy with work and a cold the last week. Today I played with my son and we used the club’s new robot (BTY Amicus Pro). I made a few drills and filmed this one where I tried how hard and spinny the robot could hit. I programmed three shots rather hard and not spinny, and one shot a little looser and with max spin. Also I used a random function so placement and speed (I think?) and perhaps spin (?) differed from time to time. So also it was a reaction time practice :). Notice the lack of back spin from blocks and also how much the ball grips the anti when max spin was used.

There is a pause after first round where I restarted the robot, then I used my inverted for a few blocks, just to show how much spin it generates at max.

http://youtu.be/Xz297yFTrws

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 22:15 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Def-attack wrote:

Can't open the link. :(

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 23:21 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Lorre wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Can't open the link. :(

Now? Made public.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 23:42 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
I can see why you are having so much fun with this play style. It looks incredibly difficult though tbh, so many things to think about and not slow paced either.
I miss your chopping though :( have you fully given up on the modern defence style?

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 82  Next