OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 47  Next
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 08:53 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Lorre/DA... what about 1.2mm D.TecS? How does that feel on pushes? Like inverted?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 09:32 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
dunc wrote:
Lorre/DA... what about 1.2mm D.TecS? How does that feel on pushes? Like inverted?

Lol, don't take my advice seriously (it isn't even advice, just speculation), but the pips on Dtecs are very soft from what I've read, almost jelly like. Assuming the springiness of the pips don't interfere with the pushing, I personally think it would feel very inverted-like :P

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 19:43 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
dunc wrote:

Nope. More like catapult-like with just enough friction to have a bit of control.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 20:36 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I can't imagine what a catapult-like pimple would feel like. Can you try and describe the feeling you get on pushing with D.TecS in comparison to P1-R?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 21:36 
Joo Too
Joo Too

dunc wrote:
I can't imagine what a catapult-like pimple would feel like. Can you try and describe the feeling you get on pushing with D.TecS in comparison to P1-R?

From what I remember (it's been a long time, you know) your pushing stroke needed to be short because if it was long and the contact was too full, the ball would go long.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 23:17 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
leatherback wrote:
dunc wrote:
I'm actually not bothered about being able to attack with my backhand. It's useful against weaker opponents but realistically it just hurts my game against better players if my mind thinks I'm capable of attacking. As you say, I end up staying far too close to the table then being in an awful position for trying to chop.

The 3 things I'm looking for are:
  • Inverted-like feeling on pushes, e.g. SP or reactive LPs like FLIII
  • LP-like feeling on chops, e.g. when the ball "grips in" to the pimples on heavy topspin loops
  • Good backspin on chops, e.g. Curl P1-R

FLIII does #1 for sure. It's not too bad for #2 either, I was chopping with it reasonably well... but it doesn't do #3 IMO (not in max sponge at least).

Does any such rubber exist?

...doesn't exist. If it did. I'd be using it lol. I just abandoned the idea of having a loaded push because I can always twiddle the racket and use inverted for that. I know pushing with FL3 can get you some points because your opponent expects no spin....but that will work for about 3 points lol

I agree with Leatherback. It's tough to get all 3 of those properties you describe. You might get close with a grippy, soft pip like FL3 or P4 on a thinner sponge (0.5ish). You might be better off learning to twiddle and push with inverted and/or doing the Chen Weixing "sideswipe" stroke against backspin rather than attempting to push it.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 23:13 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Clarification....P4 is more similar to P-1R than FL3. I worded that funny.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 00:22 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I think I need to try P4 and D.TecS. Anyone wanna lend me £75???

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 00:57 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Danthespearton wrote:
dunc wrote:

Lol, don't take my advice seriously (it isn't even advice, just speculation), but the pips on Dtecs are very soft from what I've read, almost jelly like. Assuming the springiness of the pips don't interfere with the pushing, I personally think it would feel very inverted-like :P

You didn't play with Dtecs, though - correct?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 05:47 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Just a quick update folks :) Haven't been on for a while because life has been incredibly busy. Some fairly horrendous stuff, some really nice stuff.

My girlfriend is pregnant, and she's now nearly 9 days overdue! We're going to hospital tomorrow to be induced. As such, I've played every match in our Summer league but won't be participating in the Winter. I've cleaned up my robot shed though and fully intend to "keep my eye in" by doing some drills on that as often as the little one allows :)

Lost 10 matches out of 34 this season, giving me just over 70% average: https://www.tabletennis365.com/northumb ... Division_1

Some of these were fairly poor losses, early on, that I probably wouldn't lose if I played again now. Finally got the better of my defensive counterpart Jimmy Scope, beating him 3-0 in the second half of the season. As the season went on, I played better and better.

The last match of the season was interesting - we had to play against our B team. Worse than that, if we won, we had a fairly strong chance of relegating them. So, I "forgot" my long pimples bat (I didn't really, it was in my bag). I didn't want to overtly throw the games as it isn't very sporting (though, I hasten to add, the only reason the B team were likely to be relegated was because an already-relegated team conceded to the other relegation-battling team, giving them 10 free points for no reason at all) so I thought that if I played with my normal bat (double inverted - Tenergy 05 forehand and 05fx backhand), they would probably win and it wouldn't look too suspicious.

Unfortunately, I won all three matches. I guess that sums up how well I use my pimples... :) At the end of the day, it's my serves and forehand that wins me points at this level. Oh well, it was an interesting experiment!

General game has improved nicely. Still need to get better at service receive and I still need to significantly improve my forehand chop. My looping is good, my backhand chop is reliable and I'm getting better at counter-looping on the forehand side but that side in general is still too much of a weakness which players can exploit.

Equipment-wise, I used Tenergy 80fx (1.7mm sponge, black) on my forehand and TSP Curl P1-R ("max" sponge, whatever that is, like 1.7mm?) on my backhand. I went to the slowest blade I own, Butterfly Innershield. After the season, I've stuck Hurricane 3 on there and I think I'll keep with that because I'm just addicted to it. Every time I move away from it, I end up going back. The 1.7mm sponge on the 80fx caused me a few problems in terms of bottoming out but otherwise it was great. Either way, I'm 100% comfortable with the pimples now and certainly won't be changing them.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 05:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Best of luck with the little one mate.
congrats on the average.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 06:08 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Congratulations in advance! My first kid (she turns 13 in a week) came out 3 weeks after she was suposed to... They had to use all their tricks to get her out. But eventually she did and then life was never the same (in a good way). Everything else kinds of fade in comparison. But there will always be time and need for something like completely different, like TT.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 22:56 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Congratz, dunc! :up:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 01:27 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

So.. er.. hi everyone :D

After the birth of my little baby boy Harry, who is now 24 weeks old, I was fully intending to give table tennis a rest for a full year.

However, the little one is now in a decent routine (asleep by 7PM), and my regular playing partner's teammate is injured so his team only has 2 players. I've therefore played a few matches, and more recently, managed to get some practice in too.

https://tabletennis365.com/northumbria/ ... ght/209702

His team is in Division 1 where I usually play in Premier, but there are still a couple of Premier-capable teams in that division this season. I've also played the maximum number of matches "up" for my other friend (and last season's teammate) as he's only got 1 player!

Playing pretty well, especially given my serious lack of physical fitness. One evening I played two matches and I was seriously blowing out of my ****. Then again, I've had the dreaded manflu for nearly 10 days now and that certainly doesn't help.

The last match I played was against Mount - two tricky mid-level Premier players and then our league's #2 rated player.
I beat Phil, who's an off-the-table retriever, fairly comfortably 3-0. He loves to vary the spin on his returns and he gets a lot back. At the home venue though he gets himself wound up (not enough space - true, bad lighting - untrue, other stuff - blah) and I think it curtails his thought process somewhat because in previous matches, when he's beaten me, he's attacked me fairly regularly and stopped me from getting in a rhythm. This time I just looped and slapped him off, no real drama.
I was 2-0 down to Anth, who's a very good close table blocker. His rubbers are roughly eight hundred years old and he deals with spin as if it doesn't exist. He can also hit through nearly every spin, and when he does, he does so with a horrible open batface which fades the ball wide down the line making it very difficult to deal with. When he blocks, the ball doesn't come through either, so it took me a good while to get used to. I ended up winning 11-9 in the fifth which I'm really happy with but I have to be honest, in one end in particular, I was unbelievably lucky and didn't really deserve to win.
I recently played against the #2 player Graeme in practice and lost 11-7 in the 5th. He had a pretty serious case of the manflu also so I was hoping I might be able to make a dent. I ended up losing -7, -7, -7. I just couldn't stop myself from running round like a blue-arsed fly making awful unforced errors.

Before the match I asked Graeme (who was my Summer League teammate) to watch my matches and give me some feedback. Here's what he suggested I need to work on:

1. Stay low - far too upright leading to slower, less reactive movement
  2. Maintain my forehand technique - it seems to disintegrate into a half-shot or slap at certain times
  3. Push long and to the middle especially against players who like playing their forehand from the backhand corner
  4. Play a proper push, from a static position - don't play a half push, then try to run backwards before I've even finished the stroke
  5. Practice forehand chop movement, and possibly practice twiddling to chop on forehand if not in position - stop allowing people to target this as a weakness

It's all stuff I've identified myself elsewhere on this blog - apart from possibly the forehand technique changing, which I wasn't consciously aware of. I haven't improved any of them at all in the 4 years I've been playing and a lot of this is because I don't have a coach now, nor do I often get a chance to drill these days. I'm going to try to change that, and continue working on these areas of improvement.

Equipment-wise I started off the season with:
  • Butterfly Innershield blade
  • Butterfly Tenergy 80FX 1.7mm (black)
  • TSP Curl P1-R 1.3mm (red)
As you can see - no Hurricane 3 :) It's just absolutely awful on such a slow blade :D The Tenergy/Innershield is a nice combination though.
However, I've changed a bit recently - almost purely because I can't push with LPs :( I'm so bad and irritates me so much. I've therefore gone to the most inverted-like LP I can find:
  • Butterfly Innershield blade
  • Butterfly Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm (black)
  • Butterfly Feint Long III 1.3mm (red)

I can basically loop with the FLIII which makes playing players like Anth much more "accessible". Probably a band-aid solution though, which I'm not usually a fan of.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 02:59 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Welcome to the forum, dunc. Seeing it's your first post here... Ow, never mind. ;)
Long time no read.
Glad little dunc is as easy going as his father.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 47  Next