OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47  Next
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 20:24 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
OK so I won another 3 games last night, against weaker opponents... but the SP-doubt is already back in my mind :D

I push better, and receive serve better, but I only chopped the ball about 3 times and succeeded in 0 of those efforts lol.

The problem I have with SPs is that they encourage me to stay close to the table. I can block with them pretty reasonably and I can hit with them well... so against weaker players in particular, I end up doing exactly that.

I'm now wondering if the middle ground - a soft LP like FL3 which I have more inverted-like feeling with - might be the answer. But when I last played with FL3 I got annoyed at how little backspin it produces on chops in comparison to P1-R.

So... what is the answer? I need a rubber with inverted-like feel which can produce nasty backspin on chops. GO :D

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 21:37 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
dunc wrote:
OK so I won another 3 games last night, against weaker opponents... but the SP-doubt is already back in my mind :D

I push better, and receive serve better, but I only chopped the ball about 3 times and succeeded in 0 of those efforts lol.

The problem I have with SPs is that they encourage me to stay close to the table. I can block with them pretty reasonably and I can hit with them well... so against weaker players in particular, I end up doing exactly that.

I'm now wondering if the middle ground - a soft LP like FL3 which I have more inverted-like feeling with - might be the answer. But when I last played with FL3 I got annoyed at how little backspin it produces on chops in comparison to P1-R.

So... what is the answer? I need a rubber with inverted-like feel which can produce nasty backspin on chops. GO :D

I've been down that road, ended up with TSP Millitall. Try it, same sponge as Spectol I think, easy to use but not much pimple effect and not very easy to attack with or block with (but it is doable). Great control though.

But... I ended up in another path because I wanted more effect and MP or SP gave me too many possibilities, I got caughtnin the middle not knowing what stroke to chose. The amount of back spin will not save you, but how you can control it and trick your opponent will. Spectol is among the best there but Millitall is also good, just a little more defensive and a little more bite in pushes.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 00:05 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Ah I dunno if I wanna go down the line of a MP, DA. I understand your thought process but I've tried Pimplemini in a few sponge thicknesses in the past and I never really got on with it. Very, very easy to use... but not very effective at anything.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 16:32 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

dunc wrote:
Ah I dunno if I wanna go down the line of a MP, DA. I understand your thought process but I've tried Pimplemini in a few sponge thicknesses in the past and I never really got on with it. Very, very easy to use... but not very effective at anything.

I understand that Pimpellini and Millitall are very similar, so you have done what you need to close that door. But you will continue to feel unsatisfied unless you find the ultimate allround weapon (don't think you will) or just accept that you won't have both attacking possibilities and safe chopping together. I also tried Spectol and ended up closer to the table and then had difficulties moving back for chops. I missed the spin reversal close to the table. And I could not really attack with it... With my anti I don't have many options, I can block topspin and attack back spin, and that is pretty much it... it helps me. And I try to twiddle.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 20:32 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I'm actually not bothered about being able to attack with my backhand. It's useful against weaker opponents but realistically it just hurts my game against better players if my mind thinks I'm capable of attacking. As you say, I end up staying far too close to the table then being in an awful position for trying to chop.

The 3 things I'm looking for are:
  • Inverted-like feeling on pushes, e.g. SP or reactive LPs like FLIII
  • LP-like feeling on chops, e.g. when the ball "grips in" to the pimples on heavy topspin loops
  • Good backspin on chops, e.g. Curl P1-R

FLIII does #1 for sure. It's not too bad for #2 either, I was chopping with it reasonably well... but it doesn't do #3 IMO (not in max sponge at least).

Does any such rubber exist?

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 20:45 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

dunc wrote:
I'm actually not bothered about being able to attack with my backhand. It's useful against weaker opponents but realistically it just hurts my game against better players if my mind thinks I'm capable of attacking. As you say, I end up staying far too close to the table then being in an awful position for trying to chop.

• LP-like feeling on chops, e.g. when the ball "grips in" to the pimples on heavy topspin loops

FLIII does #1 for sure. It's not too bad for #2 either, I was chopping with it reasonably well... but it doesn't do #3 IMO (not in max sponge at least).

Don't think there is one that does it all, but a few that might have a gold (for you) balance between these parameters. If you haven't tried Dawei 388D with at least 1,0 mm sponge you should do that (cheap rubber). Also FII could be an option here.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 03:43 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Def-attack wrote:
dunc wrote:

Don't think there is one that does it all, but a few that might have a gold (for you) balance between these parameters. If you haven't tried Dawei 388D with at least 1,0 mm sponge you should do that (cheap rubber). Also FII could be an option here.

+1 :P FL3 produces good backspin for me lol

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 04:43 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

FLIII backspin doesn't come close to P1-R I'm afraid

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 05:38 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
dunc wrote:

For me it depended on the opponent. Against low-spin opponents, FL3 can add more spin....by a lot.

But against anyone else that plays with spin (90% of the players out there) the P-1R was far more...by a lot.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 06:49 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Japsican wrote:
dunc wrote:

For me it depended on the opponent. Against low-spin opponents, FL3 can add more spin....by a lot.

But against anyone else that plays with spin (90% of the players out there) the P-1R was far more...by a lot.

I concur!

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 02:21 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
dunc wrote:

...doesn't exist. If it did. I'd be using it lol. I just abandoned the idea of having a loaded push because I can always twiddle the racket and use inverted for that. I know pushing with FL3 can get you some points because your opponent expects no spin....but that will work for about 3 points lol

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 03:38 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I'm actually not bothered about heavy pushes either LB - there's only so much backspin you can get with LPs, even from rubbers like FLIII. I learnt pretty quick that depth makes all the difference.

HOWEVER, the reason I moved to SPs then to FLIII is because I realllly struggle with losing points from stupid pushes when using the more LP-like LPs. With FLIII, because it's softer and more inverted-like, I find I'm really quite consistent with it and I can get the ball long.

With P1-R on the other hand, sometimes the ball just seems to drop off my bat. I feel like, to play an inverted-esque push, I have to really aggressively and firmly make contact with the ball. This doesn't come naturally to me! I've practised and practised pushing with my P1-R but it always feels different in a match (different incoming spin from different types of pushes/players, usually) and honestly it's my #1 frustration in table tennis. As soon as I moved to SPs, I got 3-4 points per end better against similar level or weaker opponents purely because I wasn't making stupid mistakes pushing with LPs.

So I was hoping to find a softer more inverted-like LP purely for that purpose. FLIII meets this requirement, but its backspin on chops is really underwhelming when you've played with P1-R for so long.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 05:22 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
dunc wrote:
I'm actually not bothered about heavy pushes either LB - there's only so much backspin you can get with LPs, even from rubbers like FLIII. I learnt pretty quick that depth makes all the difference.

HOWEVER, the reason I moved to SPs then to FLIII is because I realllly struggle with losing points from stupid pushes when using the more LP-like LPs. With FLIII, because it's softer and more inverted-like, I find I'm really quite consistent with it and I can get the ball long.

With P1-R on the other hand, sometimes the ball just seems to drop off my bat. I feel like, to play an inverted-esque push, I have to really aggressively and firmly make contact with the ball. This doesn't come naturally to me! I've practised and practised pushing with my P1-R but it always feels different in a match (different incoming spin from different types of pushes/players, usually) and honestly it's my #1 frustration in table tennis. As soon as I moved to SPs, I got 3-4 points per end better against similar level or weaker opponents purely because I wasn't making stupid mistakes pushing with LPs.

So I was hoping to find a softer more inverted-like LP purely for that purpose. FLIII meets this requirement, but its backspin on chops is really underwhelming when you've played with P1-R for so long.

Apparently, Curl p4 chops have a little bit more backspin; I have no idea if that's true though.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 05:32 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Mmmm, I hadn't thought about P4. That could be an option!

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 06:00 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
dunc wrote:
Mmmm, I hadn't thought about P4. That could be an option!

P4 leans more towards P-1R than FL3. It's not as grippy in my opinion. I have black and red (acquired the red from Pgpg).

I just can't break up with P-1R for chopping.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47  Next