OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 01:12 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
LordCope wrote:
This is my main challenge at the moment. There are four options:

1) Carry on the rally, returning with LP, varying pace and length.
2) As (1) but add a twiddle and use SP to vary or generate spin.
3) Twiddle and counter-attack with SP
4) Move around and play an attacking FH from the BH corner

The problem with 1 is that it doesn't place any pressure on my opponent, and unless I do start to introduce variations, it's a lottery who makes a mistake first. Or, the opponent gets a weak ball and attacks effectively. I don't have an easy attack against a weak ball, so statistically they're more likely to get one.

I'm working on 2 a little, but at present I find twiddling to be more risky than not twiddling, when the pressure is on.

For the same reason, I very rarely do (3). Additional reasons - I spend almost no time drilling and practicing a BH shot against push/float. It's not a core shot in my reportoire. And, and Adam and I were talking about this just yesterday, it seems that there's a psychological barrier too. Twiddling, getting the timing right, getting the bat angle right, and playing a good BH shot is a lot of pressure to overcome - the brain just says no, and plays safe.

Option 4 is the option I'm training. This is what Adam does too. Rationale - I train FH against chop/push/float, heavily. It's a strong and reliable shot. As long as I get into the right position, it's the best option. The risks are that a) you need to place the shot to make the opponent move, or you're just going to get nailed with a block down the line to the FH b) It's a big and fast move to get into the right position, leaving enough space to play the shot without getting "tucked up" c) You need a lot of strength and fitness to make that pivot and then get back to the middle of the table to handle the next shot. However, I'm working hard on this, and it's coming along.

Tonight's task at training is to play games with a one or two push rule. Any more than that and I lose the point - I have to attack from the BH, until the movement becomes second nature.

I think twiddling is an unnecessary risk, really. I do it... but only against "weaker" players where I can afford to potentially lose the point if I balls the stroke up. Frankly I'm inconsistent enough without trying to play twiddled backhand loops in a difficult environment. Saves a lot of effort against weaker players who try to pin me into my backhand though.

The way I get out of this situation against better players is the slow, spinny loop. Last year I used to play a cross-court powerloop. That's quite a hard stroke to play really, but I got good at it for a while. I stopped using it though because as I started playing against better players I found that they invariably had little difficulty blocking it down the line. If I didn't play an absolute belter of a shot, they could even punch/counter-hit the ball down the line for an outright winner - best case scenario they'd soft-block it on and I'd be able to run and play a half-loop as my next shot. However, when I spin it up, players generally *can't* play an outright winner and will often pop the ball up quite easily for me to powerloop the next ball. Also, because the slow loop is, well, slow, it means I have more time to get back into position.

I guess you can't really play that shot with the SPs (or, if you do, it'll not have enough spin on to stop players from punching it) so placement is absolutely vital. If you put it clean into their backhand or clean into their forehand, you've lost the point. If you get it into their playing elbow, or wide enough on their forehand, you've got a chance.

If you're fit enough, like I know you are, playing a FH from the BH corner is ALWAYS the right shot IMO. It's exactly what JSH does.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 01:40 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
dunc wrote:
I think twiddling is an unnecessary risk, really.

Definitely. As Adam said yesterday: I've got a good BH loop, genuinely. But in a match situation I'll almost never use it. It's just much much less riskier to move my legs, and much much easier to work on fitness and footwork.

Quote:
The way I get out of this situation against better players is the slow, spinny loop. Last year I used to play a cross-court powerloop. That's quite a hard stroke to play really, but I got good at it for a while. I stopped using it though because as I started playing against better players I found that they invariably had little difficulty blocking it down the line. If I didn't play an absolute belter of a shot, they could even punch/counter-hit the ball down the line for an outright winner - best case scenario they'd soft-block it on and I'd be able to run and play a half-loop as my next shot.

This is exactly what happens to me when I don't *think*. The easy and natural shot to play from the BH is cross court, but it's the worst option, tactically. The only three places where it's safe to place the ball:

1) At the elbow / hip
2) Very wide and short across court - needs a lot of spin, almost impossible to do with SP
3) Down the line to the very wide forehand

Anywhere else is just suicide against a decent player.

Quote:
I guess you can't really play that shot with the SPs (or, if you do, it'll not have enough spin on to stop players from punching it) so placement is absolutely vital.

100%

If I do play a "slow" loop or roll with my FH I just get killed with a punch, because there's no way enough spin. Found this to my cost against Debater. Nope, needs to be hard, fast, early, and accurate. None of which are easy, but I'm training hard, and it's improving.

Quote:
If you're fit enough, like I know you are, playing a FH from the BH corner is ALWAYS the right shot IMO. It's exactly what JSH does.

Yep. Again, exactly what Adam said yesterday. Yes, all the other options are options, and maybe he'll play them once in a while, but the right shot is always FH from the BH. Look at *any* top modern defender in the world. None of them twiddle and play a BH. All of them, without exception, make the FH from the BH corner a bread and butter shot.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 02:10 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

LordCope wrote:
Yep. Again, exactly what Adam said yesterday. Yes, all the other options are options, and maybe he'll play them once in a while, but the right shot is always FH from the BH. Look at *any* top modern defender in the world. None of them twiddle and play a BH. All of them, without exception, make the FH from the BH corner a bread and butter shot.

That's not entirely true mind - Ruwen Filus happily twiddles to play a backhand loop and both of the SP defenders (Hou and Yuto) hit with their SPs. BUT, and it's an important one, they all CAN consistently play a FH loop from their BH. However, it's pretty rare for opponents at that level to try and pin a defender into their BH corner with repeated pushes.

Another option that you can consider with inverted (but will likely be a little less effective with SP) is a twiddled push. It's not a hard stroke to play, and for me it isn't a new stroke to learn because I use it fairly regularly in the chop/push rally, but it can catch some players out, especially if you really get some dig on it. Another thing I do whilst playing this stroke is to raise my wrist a little (e.g. instead of playing flat bat push like _, play it more like /) to put some sidespin on the ball - often this will result in the push coming back more towards my middle or even my forehand, making it significantly easier to loop the next.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 02:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If fhs from your bh corner become a bread and butter shot I will be surprised if you don't switch to inverted fh at some point.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 06:47 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
LordCope wrote:
If I do play a "slow" loop or roll with my FH I just get killed with a punch, because there's no way enough spin. Found this to my cost against Debater. Nope, needs to be hard, fast, early, and accurate. None of which are easy, but I'm training hard, and it's improving.

Play the shot like an inverted shot using a lot of topsheet grip. You may be genuine surprised if you have the forearm and wrist speed.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 07:18 
LP Collector
LP Collector

NextLevel wrote:
LordCope wrote:

Play the shot like an inverted shot using a lot of topsheet grip. You may be genuine surprised if you have the forearm and wrist speed.

Yeah - this is how I play against chop and push and it's very effective. But slow looping seems much more tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 07:40 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
LordCope wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
LordCope wrote:

Yeah - this is how I play against chop and push and it's very effective. But slow looping seems much more tricky.

What other kind of ball are you trying to slow loop against with pips????

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 08:26 
LP Collector
LP Collector

I don't try to slow loop. My shot against push or chop with pips is a smooth but fast topspin with plenty of whip.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 20:08 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

You got any videos of you training that shot LC?

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 20:35 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Will do on Sunday.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 00:12 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Was going to go to training last night, but my team mate asked if we could practice together, so I agreed, on the understanding that our session be structured around some specific exercises, and not just a "knock".

Arrived at the club, and learned that a new player was also coming along - a relative beginner. I decided that the beginner would just have to do what Ricky and I were doing.

I started with a warmup drill - 2 mins of each:

- FH - FH
- FH down the line to BH
- BH - BH
- BH down the line to FH

I ran this such that everyone trained with everyone, so I worked with Ricky and the new chap. And Ricky worked with the new chap and me.

This worked pretty well. Once I set expectations that I was looking for control and consistency, and minimal movement, both Ricky and the new guy did quite well.

Next we did FH (middle) FH (wide), 2 mins per person. Again, this went well.

Next I did BH, Middle (FH), BH, Wide (FH), 2 mins per person. This was tough for the new person, as it was a lot to hold in his head, but he did well. Ricky struggled with efficient movement, which shows this is an important exercise for him.

Finally we did: Short serve, long push, open up --> free, 2 mins per person. This worked well.

I finished with best of 7 deuce matches. We managed three rounds of this. This worked very well indeed, as it did apply match-like pressure, and forced the better players to not be lazy. I lost 2-1 in matches to Ricky, but the middle one (4-3) was replete with edges, which really count at 10-10!!

Actually a very worthwhile session.

After Ricky left, I played on with the new chap, playing a best of 5 match up to 11 where if I played more than one "non-aggressive" shot in a row, he got the point. This was really worthwhile, and make a big difference to how I thought.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 00:20 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

LordCope wrote:
After Ricky left, I played on with the new chap, playing a best of 5 match up to 11 where if I played more than one "non-aggressive" shot in a row, he got the point. This was really worthwhile, and make a big difference to how I thought.

good plan :) I play games like this in practice matches pretty much every time I'm playing against a weaker opponent. makes practice that little bit more focused and less ego-based

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 04:05 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Good training session this morning. I managed to record a little of it. My battery wasn't as charged as I thought, so I didn't get a great deal, but I'll edit and upload. Worked very hard on attacking balls from the BH side.

Then went to Sunday practice for the first time in a while. Played as well as I can remember playing, losing only a handful of games. I gave 1 or 2 points handicap to most players, but still won - mostly strong division 3 players but some division 4. Only played one match against a division 1 standard player, and lost, but he played well.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 08:22 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Tuesday social tt today. Purely for experimentation I whacked some skyline 3 neo and OX dtecs on my p700, and played for a bit with one of the regulars. I don't know - maybe it's me - but try as I might I can't get on with that blade.

The skyline didn't feel right either. Too heavy and too hard.

Returned to the regular setup for the rest of the session.

Played a 'one push' match against my dad and lost 2-1, 11-9 in the decider. Gave 2 points away by pushing twice. Wasn't very happy with my play to be honest.

Played a match with RW - felt like I was hitting well, but service return was not pressuring enough.

Main problem in rallies was his counter hits which dipped deep into my BH. I needed to step back a bit.

Lost 3-0 but played ok.

Played pretty poorly in doubles. Was trying to stick to my aim to attack more, but slipped into hitting the wrong balls, and was often out of position.

Overall a bit frustrating today.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 23:18 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

LordCope wrote:
Played a 'one push' match against my dad and lost 2-1, 11-9 in the decider. Gave 2 points away by pushing twice. Wasn't very happy with my play to be honest.

This is another great idea for focused practice LC, nice job. Playing "one push" for some players is incredibly difficult. I've worked really hard with my regular practice partner to get him doing this and now he barely pushes a ball... until it gets a bit tight :) If I did "one push" with him, I reckon he'd get to 8, 9 or 10 points and then find it really difficult to only play one push. When he's nervous, his default approach is to push and block.

For a defender it's also quite good practice because you can essentially win points if you push well - push it deep and long into a player's crossover after they've pushed to you and watch how difficult they find it to loop a quality ball.

[Other gear I've used]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 68  Next