OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 22:43 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Most people don't make attributions at all and aren't aware of physical explanations. They just feel what works better or worse. I tried all kind of blades and I always have a better feeling when I use heavier blades, especially for chopping. I don't know why exactly this is the case and frankly, I don't really care so much. It is kind of interesting to read some attributions or theories here at the forum but there are so many variables that all come into play... I can see that most professional choppers use heavy blades too. Recently, Gionis told me that he has customized heavy version (close to 100g) of Korbel Japan. That must be for some reason.

agenthex wrote:
In any case, players of all levels sometimes attribute physically impossible properties to their equipment. The human mind has a natural tendency to draw causality that often doesn't exist. For example, what is is actually caused by a somewhat faster blade here is automatically being attributed to extra weight because it's the more readily felt phenomena.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 23:25 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Pipsy wrote:
Most people don't make attributions at all and aren't aware of physical explanations. They just feel what works better or worse. I tried all kind of blades and I always have a better feeling when I use heavier blades, especially for chopping. I don't know why exactly this is the case and frankly, I don't really care so much. It is kind of interesting to read some attributions or theories here at the forum but there are so many variables that all come into play... I can see that most professional choppers use heavy blades too. Recently, Gionis told me that he has customized heavy version (close to 100g) of Korbel Japan. That must be for some reason.

agenthex wrote:
In any case, players of all levels sometimes attribute physically impossible properties to their equipment. The human mind has a natural tendency to draw causality that often doesn't exist. For example, what is is actually caused by a somewhat faster blade here is automatically being attributed to extra weight because it's the more readily felt phenomena.

True; most don't attribute. But even if they do... There's nothing wrong with it. They can be wrong, they can be right. It brought us to where we are now.

Hex, you are right, but only if you have one definition of one property. That's not how people are: the same label can mean (slightly) different things. It's the art of finding out what someone precisely means or at least come close to it.

Hex, you're attributing yourself. Nothing wrong with that, but you can also be wrong. Knowledge of a science doesn't make you immune to that. You have a human mind, don't you? Or are you not human?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 04:55 
Super User

Unless you have anomalous samples the Defplay is a 160mm and JSH a 165mm blade. Even if you somehow stretched the same rubber to slightly greater length the further distribution of the mass will make it heavier in rotation. You yourself describe it as heavier despite the otherwise minor ~5% or so gain. Trying adding the same 8/10 or whatever grams to the bottom of the handle and see how much "heavier" it becomes.

The physical momentum collision equations are also freely available and anyone can see for themselves marginal changes in the mass of the larger object vs smaller one has negligible effect. If you're actually curious about this, it's easy to simply add more weight to the racket (say, 100g) and see if it "bends the pips" even more. I'd predict it wouldn't at all, and if anything be less effective since it becomes much harder to swing.

Also, the amount of time the ball is on the racket is <1ms, far too short for any meaningful measurement by the human nervous system. What is being felt is characteristics of the resulting vibrations, which is dependent on the properties of the blade+rubber and not necessarily proportionate to the impact itself. There's a certain cultural institution in TT of describing properties of equipment using touchy-feely terms so it's not unique to this case.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 08:06 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

agenthex wrote:
Unless you have anomalous samples the Defplay is a 160mm and JSH a 165mm blade. Even if you somehow stretched the same rubber to slightly greater length the further distribution of the mass will make it heavier in rotation. You yourself describe it as heavier despite the otherwise minor ~5% or so gain. Trying adding the same 8/10 or whatever grams to the bottom of the handle and see how much "heavier" it becomes. The physical momentum collision equations are also freely available and anyone can see for themselves marginal changes in the mass of the larger object vs smaller one has negligible effect. If you're actually curious about this, it's easy to simply add more weight to the racket (say, 100g) and see if it "bends the pips" even more. I'd predict it wouldn't at all, and if anything be less effective since it becomes much harder to swing.

Also, the amount of time the ball is on the racket is <1ms, far too short for any meaningful measurement by the human nervous system. What is being felt is characteristics of the resulting vibrations, which is dependent on the properties of the blade+rubber and not necessarily proportionate to the impact itself. There's a certain cultural institution in TT of describing properties of equipment using touchy-feely terms so it's not unique to this case.

Listen Mr. Knowitall, the head of both my Defplays is 163~164mm, so either you have an anomalous sample or you're simply unable of measuring the length of an object. If the latter is true, start with mastering the use of a ruler before constantly stupifying us with your physical theories, arrogantly assuming you are the only one who is right about everything and treating everybody else (including the pro's) as a fool.

I'm sorry Auzcar to react this way in your thread, but I'm really getting tired of the attitude of that little man... (and I'm not the first one)

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 08:34 
Super User

I assure you I understand how a ruler works and so do these folks here who've measured it at 159mm or 161mm:

http://www.tennis-de-table.com/materiel ... play_Senso

If you're uninterested in how things actually work, that's fine, but there's no need to assume the same of everyone else.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 14:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
agenthex wrote:
I assure you I understand how a ruler works and so do these folks here who've measured it at 159mm or 161mm:

http://www.tennis-de-table.com/materiel ... play_Senso

If you're uninterested in how things actually work, that's fine, but there's no need to assume the same of everyone else.

I'm sure there are differing opinions on this, which some will find interesting and some will not. I don't think Auzcar's blog is the place to continue a physics discussion that is creating some heat though. If you wish to continue the discussion Agenthex, I suggest you start a thread of your own. However, I will warn that any thread which becomes over-heated is likely to be shutdown itself. Given this is Auzcar's blog, he is entitled to ignore what I've said here and continue the debate if he so wishes, but that is up to him alone, and he would need to indicate such.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 16:49 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I think you're absolutely right guys, so let's get this blog back on track!

I had another session last night, still with the JSH, Calibra and DG combo, this time against better opponents. Defense still felt very very safe compared to Defplay actually, chopping is the biggest improvement but blocking/chopblocking have improved as well, this setup actually handles harder attacks better. Attacking with the pips continues to feel better as well. The FH is what's taking time to adjust to, I was playing really well with FH during periods of times but I also played really bad with it as well. The throw is a lot lower compared to the same rubbers on Defplay which is nice on the BH but harder on the FH, this is mostly a question on me dialing in though since I've always used pretty high throw setups on my FH. My timing in the offense have been thrown off a bit as well due to the higher weight but that will also come back with more practice.

I feel really good about this right now, if the VKMO doesn't suit me I feel that the JSH is as good of a step up as I was hoping for. Oh boy am I glad I didn't put the JSH aside based on previous experiences with sponged LP's and other FH rubbers. I want to thank you Pipsy for suggesting JSH to me in the VKMO thread, otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought about trying the JSH again.

With that said of course I still hope that the VKMO will be even better, like always with new equipment :rofl:

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 20:30 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Pipsy wrote:
Listen Mr. Knowitall, the head of both my Defplays is 163~164mm, so either you have an anomalous sample or you're simply unable of measuring the length of an object. If the latter is true, start with mastering the use of a ruler before constantly stupifying us with your physical theories, arrogantly assuming you are the only one who is right about everything and treating everybody else (including the pro's) as a fool.

I'm sorry Auzcar to react this way in your thread, but I'm really getting tired of the attitude of that little man... (and I'm not the first one)

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I'm sure there are differing opinions on this, which some will find interesting and some will not. I don't think Auzcar's blog is the place to continue a physics discussion that is creating some heat though. If you wish to continue the discussion Agenthex, I suggest you start a thread of your own. However, I will warn that any thread which becomes over-heated is likely to be shutdown itself. Given this is Auzcar's blog, he is entitled to ignore what I've said here and continue the debate if he so wishes, but that is up to him alone, and he would need to indicate such.

You're right, Reb. My apologies to auzcar as well. I understand Pipsy's reaction. From now on I'm going to ignore the posts Agenthex makes. Better for the heart I suppose! :up:

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 20:41 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Lorre wrote:
You're right, Reb. My apologies to auzcar as well. I understand Pipsy's reaction. From now on I'm going to ignore the posts Agenthex makes. Better for the heart I suppose! :up:

Don't worry about it, I just thought that it would be best to not take the discussion any further since neither side would fold and thus it would probably snowball. To politely ignore is probably the best medicine in this case, even though it's hard as hell sometimes.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 20:51 
Joo Too
Joo Too

auzcar wrote:
Don't worry about it, I just thought that it would be best to not take the discussion any further since neither side would fold and thus it would probably snowball. To politely ignore is probably the best medicine in this case, even though it's hard as hell sometimes.

It's hard as hell sometimes, indeed, and it feels impolite for one or the other reason. I suggest Pipsy does the same for his heart, so he can eat some more King Big Bacon Deluxe Double Giants (other thread)... :D

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 21:53 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Lorre wrote:
It's hard as hell sometimes, indeed, and it feels impolite for one or the other reason. I suggest Pipsy does the same for his heart, so he can eat some more King Big Bacon Deluxe Double Giants (other thread)... :D

No worries, Lorre, my heart is not affected by it :). And I don't have any problems with the content of his story but I do think the attitude of possessing the one and only absolute truth and treating other people's opinions, feelings and findings as worthless undermines the whole idea of a forum.

auzcar wrote:
I think you're absolutely right guys, so let's get this blog back on track!

The throw is a lot lower compared to the same rubbers on Defplay which is nice on the BH but harder on the FH, this is mostly a question on me dialing in though since I've always used pretty high throw setups on my FH. My timing in the offense have been thrown off a bit as well due to the higher weight but that will also come back with more practice.

I feel really good about this right now, if the VKMO doesn't suit me I feel that the JSH is as good of a step up as I was hoping for. Oh boy am I glad I didn't put the JSH aside based on previous experiences with sponged LP's and other FH rubbers. I want to thank you Pipsy for suggesting JSH to me in the VKMO thread, otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought about trying the JSH again.

With that said of course I still hope that the VKMO will be even better, like always with new equipment :rofl:

Let's get back on track indeed! YW about the JSH suggestion. I think the low throw and the good speed of the JSH-blade is what makes it such a great chopping blade. Compared to many other blades I also have the best feeling/control over chops with JSH. FH is something to get used to. I believe it is quite a lot harder and faster than Defplay or VKM, with less vibrations and a lower throw. The increased speed can be an advantage though as it gives less time to the opponent to react.

I have the impression that VKMO has a little higher throw than JSH without being much slower so this might also be something for you! I do fear that the OX pimples might feel a bit odd on the VKMO since it has such a sharp and hard touch. Keep us informed!

Post subject: Re: Auzcar's Adventures
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 02:07 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Had my third session with JSH today and it continues to feel really good and really safe. I'm almost 100% sure that this will be my new blade if the VKMO doesn't work out. It actually feels so good that I'm contemplating cancelling the VKMO order to save some money. Especially since I already have a backup for the JSH. I'm not entirely sure I have that good control over my EJ virus though, on the other hand it would also feel like a personal victory if I just one time can have the upper hand on that illness haha. This needs some heavy thinking.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 09:37 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

auzcar wrote:
Had my third session with JSH today and it continues to feel really good and really safe. I'm almost 100% sure that this will be my new blade if the VKMO doesn't work out. It actually feels so good that I'm contemplating cancelling the VKMO order to save some money. Especially since I already have a backup for the JSH. I'm not entirely sure I have that good control over my EJ virus though, on the other hand it would also feel like a personal victory if I just one time can have the upper hand on that illness haha. This needs some heavy thinking.

Auzcar, focus on the Joo & the back-up Joo and cancel the VKMO. Beat that virus.. As you said yourself, it will feel like a personal victory and that's a great thing in itself!

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 17:18 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Pipsy wrote:
Auzcar, focus on the Joo & the back-up Joo and cancel the VKMO. Beat that virus.. As you said yourself, it will feel like a personal victory and that's a great thing in itself!

I actually cancelled the order and it felt very good. Will give the JSH some more time, if it doesn't work out in the end I can always test the VKMO later. Sorry guys if you waited for a review :(

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 20:05 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

It's going well with the JSH so far, it continues to feel very good in the defense. On the FH side I've lost a bit of arc compared to the Defplay and I'm contemplating testing a rubber with higher throw. I'm thinking about T05 or perhaps back to Rakza 7. I can't remember what throw Bluefire has but that might be an option as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 30  Next