OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 00:19 
Super User

http://chroniclesofgossima.blogspot.com/

Thoughts from club play and what ratio to hit with long pips to inverted

Ever since going to this playing primarily long pip style on the forehand I've prepared myself mentally for when someone fishes up a float ball either because they're confused as to what spin is on the ball or because they're baiting me to attack. What would I do? I came to the conclusion that I would play more to the middle of the table where I can attack those easy balls with my inverted RPB. However I ran into a problem last Sunday.

That might be well and good for singles play, but in doubles, it doesn't work. Not as a lefty at least. You see when I play doubles as a lefty, usually playing with a righty, I'm hanging out in my back corner of the table. Not hugging the middle of the table. I had several balls throughout the night where one would smash but I was hesitant because I did not have confidence smashing with long pips.

Ultimately I feel I have to be quicker mentally to twiddle and simply forehand smash those balls away with the inverted. Problem was that going into that night, I don't think I had hit an inverted forehand for about two weeks. I had been playing just long pips all that time. Talk about feeling like you were hitting with a trampoline.

I simply must continue to practice also hitting with my inverted forehand for more aggressive shots. I think this will help me in the long run as I know my training partner at club is quite use to the long pips and my friend where at work I can see is starting to figure them out. You can only bank on simple errors from the opponent for so long. There will still be points you must win or put away.

Yes, it's more muscle memory for me to learn but I'm up for the challenge. I think my goal will be to hit roughly 50/50 on my forehand from inverted & long pips vs 100% long pips. This variation, if I can master it, should help keep my opponents off guard while giving me the ability to attack the easy balls.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 00:35 
Super User

Guai Jiao Huang Special Large Pips

I saw these long pips from ttnpp.com developed by probably my main table tennis idol Wang Jian Jiang. What's funny is I'm still not sure how his name is translated. You'll see it a million different ways. Technically it's 黄建疆.

Get a load of the size of these pips and base sheet? Just silly.

Definitely the longest pips I've seen... For the record I don't think I'll use these pips long term. I prefer sponged long pips. But the price was so good I had to give it a try. Will probably put them on my backup blade.

I'll report back with my impressions at some point.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 23:51 
Super User

Good close match from LTTA club last night

I had an entertaining match with Dong last night. He surprised me as he pushed me in this match going 5 games. The first game he clearly struggled with the long pip play but credit to him as he adjusted quickly.

He's fun to play as he also likes to laugh while playing and overall just have a good time. He's a great addition to the club as he's only been coming for about a month or two now.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 22:04 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
i am distracted by the cute girl on the 2nd table :lol:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2016, 07:31 
Super User

111Iceman111 wrote:
i am distracted by the cute girl on the 2nd table :lol:

Ha. That's fair. No judgement there. :)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2016, 07:32 
Super User

Help Support the LTTA via gofundme

The LTTA has started a gofundme page.

Check it out here.
https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-l ... ble-tennis

The goal is to raise enough funds to purchase two new ping pong tables. View the page on gofundme to learn more about our story and where we stand with our goal.

If you believe in Table Tennis, believe in all the benefits it can do for people young & old, please consider pledging what you can. Every dollar helps.

Also, like our posts about it on our social networks if you'd like to help spread the word.

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/LincolnTableTennisAssociation/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/theLTTA