OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 22:53 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
I have been working with a coach on improving my game, especially my offense and despite being able to attack a lot better than I used to as also losing over 70 lbs weight, I can't seem to get back to the level that I used to play..
Just 2 weekends, I played a tournament and I was #6 seeded player in a giant round robin.

I lost to the #1 of the tournament (rated 2322) 2:3 after leading 2:1 in games..
I lost to the #2 of the tournament (rated 2309) 2:3 after leading 2:1 in games and 9:7 in the fifth (results show that He he was leading 2:1 but that is wrong. I was ahead 2:1 and could've been 3:0 for me at this point as I had game balls to make it 2:0 and then I won the next game..
I lost to the #3 of the tournament (rated 2270) 2:3 after leading 2:1
I lost to the #4 of the tournament (rated 2239) 2:3 after leading 2:1
I lost to the #5 of the tournament (rated 2232) 2:3 after leading 2:1 and changing sides at 5:3 for me in game 5.

Beat #7, #8, #9 and #10 with only problems against #7 as it was my first match of the day (I didn't have my timing yet) and then I lost to #11 who had a great tournament, upsetting 4 players and getting a large adjustment. It was also my last match of the day and after 6 5 game matches, one 4 game match and 2 3 game matches, I was also pretty worn out...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 23:44 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
My experience is that these things tend to go in streaks .... however .....

Might it be that you have an unconventional style that gives you an advantage in the early parts of games until the opponents (if they can) adjust to it?

185g

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 23:56 
Super User

Brutal loses really, that must of been a terribly exhausting day, physically and mentally.

so_devo wrote:
Might it be that you have an unconventional style that gives you an advantage in the early parts of games until the opponents (if they can) adjust to it?

I have friend who plays a similar push blocker style I think he peaked around 2200+/-. He would always say when playing against strong opponents that if he couldnt win in 3 games he was toast. And would always try to win the early games with a limited shot selection as to be able to keep his opponents guess with more of his unorthodox LP strokes in later games.

Ill tell you what, his game looks so harmless against 1200 players, and then he plays a 2200 young looper and he drives them absolutley nuts!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 00:54 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I'd be happy. It's an indication you are just a few points off an amazing tournament. What did you do or what did your opponents do to sway the match in their favor?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 05:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
This tells me your game's effectiveness relies too much on being unconventional and not enough on speed or spin. In other words, most of your points are probably scored when your opponent misses your oddly hit ball as opposed to when you smack a winner. Before I developed my BH LP drive I suffered the same fate (i.e. win in 3 or lose the match), albeit at a much lower rating level.

I've seen your videos and recommend you develop an LP chop block right off the bounce as used by OX LP player Robert Shahnazari who was US2400+ a few years ago.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 06:34 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I think the chop block is there. It just has a very small motion. It's hard to analyze without seeing it. Just because a style is unorthodox doesn't make it less effective. It's probably a couple small things that could make the lost games wins... It's just figuring out what you did or didn't do . More motion on the block could be a variation but doing what you do best get you to 2300 so I have no valid suggestions.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 07:43 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
tabesamis wrote:
I'd be happy. It's an indication you are just a few points off an amazing tournament. What did you do or what did your opponents do to sway the match in their favor?

tabesamis right IMO.

Now it's analyzing what the opponent did right/what you did wrong in that final set. It probably will be something that occurs in all those matches. After finding the solution,s tart working to buil it into your game.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 07:48 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

so_devo wrote:
My experience is that these things tend to go in streaks .... however .....

In 3 of the 5 games, I had leads in the 5th game.. In one match, I was up 9:7 in the 5th and my opponent has 3 edge balls in the next 5 points (2 times table edge and 1 net edge)..

It's not so much about them adjusting.. I play most of those guys on a regular basis, so they know what to expect.. It's interesting that one of my 5 game wins (against #7 of the tournament) was a hard fought match while in training, I usually beat him 3:0...

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 07:57 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

tabesamis wrote:

I think that it came down to whoever got a 3 point lead in each game won it.. Most of those games started out with one of us leading by 2 or 3 points and carrying that lead to the end of the game. All those 5th games were competitive. In some of them, I just didn't have the luck my opponents had and in others, the opponent started out with a good lead and I couldn't catch up..

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 08:07 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

nathanso wrote:
This tells me your game's effectiveness relies too much on being unconventional and not enough on speed or spin. In other words, most of your points are probably scored when your opponent misses your oddly hit ball as opposed to when you smack a winner. Before I developed my BH LP drive I suffered the same fate (i.e. win in 3 or lose the match), albeit at a much lower rating level.

I've seen your videos and recommend you develop an LP chop block right off the bounce as used by OX LP player Robert Shahnazari who was US2400+ a few years ago.

Robert Shanazari is a friend of mine.. He plays very similar on the backhand like I do but he hits more against underpin. I push aggressive and he actually hits with the pips against underspin. His forehand is better than mine.. My forehand however is improving. My old videos are no longer a accurate reflection of my style. I have changed a few things on my game and it is a little different now, especially if I play opponents who do not take any risks.. I used to have problem with players who play it "safe" against me while I can beat those fairly easy now.. My problem now are flat hitters.. I can handle all the other styles but flat hitters give me trouble. In training, I hardly ever lose to anyone below 2200.. Usually only sub 2200 flat hitters can beat me. Sub 2200 loopers usually lose to me.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 08:09 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Here's the official results.. They got the scores against Dayanand wrong as I won game 3 and not him.. Other than that, it's fairly accurate.

http://216.119.100.169/history/rating/H ... 412&Blow=1

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 09:47 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I guess it's the break of the game. I believe you have what it takes to closed out a game especially you are in the lead. What is more frustrating is that if you have a large lead say 9-3 and you still lose the set.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 12:00 

CONCENTRATION is everything. Maybe you were feeling tired, physically or mentally.

I've seen your videos. Even if your forehand has improved, it's your backhand that is your greatest strength. If you win mostly by forcing errors with the long pips, neglecting your strength (long pips strokes) in favor of your improved forehand could be the wrong strategy at the higher level.

Leading 2-1 and loosing might mean, as mentioned, that opponents are adjusting to your game. Leading during a game and loosing (as you seem to remember so well) might mean that you are too focused on the score and that could distract you. One of my coaches would tell me to play each point as though it was 10-10. Only then, concentration starts to kick in.

James

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 12:34 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Red_lion wrote:
I guess it's the break of the game. I believe you have what it takes to closed out a game especially you are in the lead. What is more frustrating is that if you have a large lead say 9-3 and you still lose the set.

I only once lost with a similar lead in the 5th.. about 6 years ago... I was leading 8:2 in the 5th... and lost on deuce.. The opponent would just rip everything and did not miss a shot...

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 12:37 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Red_lion wrote:

As it was a local Florida tournament for me, I have played most of my opponents several times before.. Some even play at my club. They know my game and my pips and they are well adjusted right from the start.. One thing that stood out on why I lost was probably that I missed too many attacks trying to attack with my long pips side.. Against some of the opponents, I scored several points with my forehand but the critical points that cost me matches were often missed long pips attacks...