OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 16:31 

Hello, im currently a high school senior. I use my long pips to annoy most of my opponents in matches. But the thing is, whenever I see myself in videos during practice or even competitions, I kind of get bored at my playstyle. (No offense to other lp users). There isnt much thrill to it, since my game is very slow paced. The only lp user I've actually been fascinated by is none other than Joo Se Hyuk.

This is only my opinion of course, i know that many people out there still like using lp to win points by making their opponent's shots go over the table or crash into net. But right now, i would want to play an inverted/inverted game. I want to win points because I made a faster forehand toward my opponent, and he wasn't able to catch it. Yes, i still beat other people in my school with my lp, but i'd really want to play the game with a fast pace, and not since I made him misread the spin. Whenever I go out and play matches with other student-athletes, I usually have a hard time beating them (3-2), or even lose. I think that I only beat the players in my school is because I know their weaknesses very well.

One thing more about lp is that I have never really seen a lp user in my age group dominate another player. In other videos or matches that I see live, lp players usually have a disadvantage when it comes to creating spin, and this is one of my huge problems. This leads to offensive players aiming at my backhand with more spin, and would wait until my chop goes off the table.

The thing about my place here is, when i go and ask out for coaching lp, not many are available. I currently have a new coach, but unfortunately he's not interested to teach me my chopping, and instead focuses on my offense on the forehand and backhand. This made me more want to switch styles, since he is very reputable for making people better on offense. Ive even heard of a student of him change from lp to inv, and now is currently the top in his high school.

My point here is, if anyone knows a story of another guy whos had success changing from lp to inv, can you please reply it here? It would motivate me greatly on my ongoing process. I would also continue posting a timeline about my progress.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 18:31 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
What you need is a coach for lp.
How strong are your forehand attack? And how fast do you move? Maybe you can take advantage of your current coach by improving your forehand (be a modern defender).
I am an inverted user on both wings and I am confident againts LP defenders. But there is one guy I have a hard time beating ( in fact I was swept 3-0 ). He moves fast enough like Joo, and he positions himself very well. And can attack on LP too. He has mastered all the aspects of his LP ( blocking, chopping, attacking! ).

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 22:04 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Yes, a coach who teaches you the asspect of LP and patience, a lot of patience. Don't expect to play topspin to topspin rallies when changing, like you are now experiencing a lack of good rallies. I think the problem is the level of play in your high school and of yourself. Therefore: patience, a lot of patience, considering the develoment of LP player is steeper than that of inverted players.

If you still want to change to inverted, then there will be a couple of players here who have done that succesfully (or not). Expect, however, that your account on OOAK will expire soon if you change. :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 22:57 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
My friend who was my teammate for many years used to play LP combo and changed to dual inverted around the age of 40. I'm sure you would consider his level fairly high (~1800US equivalent). I'm sure if he can do that at his age you can do it in high school if you set your mind and practice to it. You do also have to consider that if you stick with LP and become aggressive with it (or perhaps even try SP) that you can become extremely skilled with it if you stick at it for many years. We have a young guy at our club who has done that and would be ~2200US level with it now at age 18, playing with SP combo (first changed from dual inverted to LP combo and still can play with that too).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 22:57 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
My friend who was my teammate for many years used to play LP combo and changed to dual inverted around the age of 40. I'm sure you would consider his level fairly high (~1800US equivalent). I'm sure if he can do that at his age you can do it in high school if you set your mind and practice to it. You do also have to consider that if you stick with LP and become aggressive with it (or perhaps even try SP) that you can become extremely skilled with it if you stick at it for many years. We have a young guy at our club who has done that and would be ~2200US level with it now at age 18, playing with SP combo (first changed from dual inverted to LP combo and still can play with that too).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 23:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

I have done just this in my late 40s. Double inverted (IMO) is easier and actually requires less footwork.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 23:03 

I might start posting about my progress next week, if there is any (lol)

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 10:40 

Aloha, having switched from Inverted to LP, I would say it isn't boring at all. Ever since I started, it was iverted all the way until last year. My setup was Timo Boll Spirit, FH Tenergy 05 & BH Tenergy 64. I'm an aggressive player and attacks from both wings. Est rating (unrated) is between 1800-2000.

Made the switch to LP since I found out during a Large Ball Tournament using pips that I can still play my BH like inverted. Its not a slow game for me at all. I get a kick when my opponents get jammed because they do not expect a LP player to attack alot, especially when I attack the serve. My setup is Joola MC1 (balsa), FH Andro Shifter Powersponge (soft like FX) and BH KTL Stranger Attack (1.2 mm). My BH with pips can push, flick, sidespin flick, loop, hit, counterhit, block incoming loop or topspin, etc. With the sponge, the racket angle is a little closed for incoming topspin, and nearly closed for loop drive/slow loop returns, just like how you would return with inverted. I'd suggest staying away from OX if you are bored with the speed and want a more active game with LP.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 23:35 

Hello there! Wow, a lot are really encouraging me to stay into pips. Im thinking i might give it a swcond chance with 2-3 more sessions and finally decide.

Ive been only practicing with improving my forhand, but as for as it goes, I dont have enough power to do it. I can however, place the ball very well on the table, but whenever I put extra force on the swing, the ball will go crashing into the net or hit the white part of the net and go over the table. I realize that I have been hitting the too early, and that if i want to put more force into the ball, i should hit it at its peak height. Being a pure chopper before, i havent been taught of this (lol)

However, i have been trying to improve my loops against chops (my shoulder and back hurt really bad!) for my third ball game. I thin i hit about 30/100 balls on the table. Hopefully will improve to atleast 50-60% next time.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 03:05 

Under spin from robots, especially Newgy, are unbelievably heavy which is why your back and shoulder probably hurt. What LP do you use?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 15:46 

alohajakeLP wrote:
Under spin from robots, especially Newgy, are unbelievably heavy which is why your back and shoulder probably hurt. What LP do you use?

I use 1615 ox.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 06:05 

I use 1615 ox.[/quote]

The first LP I tried coming from an inverted setup was the 755 OX on a Timo Boll ALC. Didn't like the feel on the blade, especially the fact that it was not an easy transition. Had issues with returning balls (very different from Tenergy 64 on BH, lol). I was subsequently introduced to Balsa wood, specifically the Joola Kool blade as a loaner, and this time around it was the BTY Feint AG 1.3 mm (attacking pips). This was a perfect match that pretty much complemented my inverted playing style. Unfortunately, the Kool blade or the R1 are no longer being sold. Finally, I found the Joola MC1. The Feint AG was retired after a club member (plays like Ma Lin in serve and power strokes) broke my long pips. KTL Stranger attack 1.2 mm was the immediate replacement and I feel it even plays better vs the Feint AG 1.3 mm at a quarter of the price. Like I previously said, I play my current setup like inverted with very occasional chopping (only because I cannot counterattack with BH long pips beyond mid distance).

Have you tried any LP with sponge? Maybe give it a try especially if you want a faster game but don't mind the moderate loss of deception/disruption with a sponged LP.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 06:19 
Super User

aloha, ive seen you post a few times about the KTL Stranger 1.2. I played with it for awhile, and just want to say that I think that it plays differently than just about every other LP. It truly is its own animal. Like you have said, you can play strokes near identical to inverted in many instances. I think its plays like a weird combo between LP, anti, and inverted, really very "strange" (a very fitting name).

I just dont think most LP rubbers play anything like it what so ever. It seems like you may have not had a chance to try that many LP and should take into account how different KTL stranger plays from other LP when talking about LP.

That being said, I am glad you love the stranger, and you are making me want to slap it back on a blade and give it another try, because I was playing pretty well with it, it just wasn't anyhthing like the normal game I have been training to play.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 06:35 

townhousecrackers wrote:
aloha, ive seen you post a few times about the KTL Stranger 1.2. I played with it for awhile, and just want to say that I think that it plays differently than just about every other LP. It truly is its own animal. Like you have said, you can play strokes near identical to inverted in many instances. I think its plays like a weird combo between LP, anti, and inverted, really very "strange" (a very fitting name).

I just dont think most LP rubbers play anything like it what so ever. It seems like you may have not had a chance to try that many LP and should take into account how different KTL stranger plays from other LP when talking about LP.

That being said, I am glad you love the stranger, and you are making me want to slap it back on a blade and give it another try, because I was playing pretty well with it, it just wasn't anyhthing like the normal game I have been training to play.

Aloha, Townhousecrackers, ya, slap that LP back on....true, I've only tried a handful of LP rubbers, mainly the 755 OX (6 hours of play), DHS C-8 (6 hours), and Feint AG (6 months before it broke). I'm not the type who tests new rubbers mainly since I only play once or twice a week, and I want the consistent feel. The highest rated player I used it against is 2000. I hope to get more exposure and play higher rated players. When the Stranger Attack breaks a pip, the next rubber I'll definitely try is the TSP Curl P/H with sponge. Hope to play against some of the forum members when they visit Hawaii.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!