OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holy Chtchet!
PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 03:21 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Got the DTECS 9mm sponge in today. Will mount to the VKM and see how it goes.

So, the 2 setups in question are VKM + Dtecs + FH Rubber TBD and a Viscaria + FL3 + Hurricane 3 Max. Could they BE any more different?

Lately I am watching 2 players, Chtchetinine of course and Ruwen Filus. Also a little bit of Angela Guan. Watching Filus and Guan to gleam more insight into why i struggle so much with FL3 at times.

I wish they made a JSH blade that was actually 87-90 grams. That would be ideal for me. Not the 104, 105gram blades i got in the past. Too heavy.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 03:24 

This happened today in the Hospital Cafeteria, originally posted on Facebook:

Me: (points to the steak) can I just have the meat please?

Cafeteria Guy: It's part of the sandwhich...it's a french dip.

Me: Okay, but I just want the meat, not the bread.

CG: But then it's not a french dip.

Me: I get that, but I don't want the bread.

CG: Then you wouldn't be getting the French Dip, not sure how to do that.

Me: Forget the words "french" and "dip." Just serve me the meat that normally goes in the bread, but place it on the plate.

CG: How about this, I give you the meat in the bread, and you just take the meat out.

Me: Okay, I can do that, but it's a waste of a perfectly good bun, because I will throw it away.

CG: Why would you do that? Just eat it.

Me: (Sporting the "are you a F*** idiot" face) I don't want the bread.

Manager: What's the issue?

Me: No issue, he won't give me the meat for the French Dip by itself without the bun. I think this is a teaching opportunity.

Manager: Looks at CG, why don't you just put the meat on the plate without the bread?

CG: But then it wouldn't be a French Dip?

Manger: (looks at me)

Me: (Looks at manager)

Me & Manager: (Looks at CG like he ate paint chips growing up)

CG: Begrudgingly places steak on plate.

Me: Can I get a side of Au jus?

CG: What's Au Jus?

#DoNotProcreate #DarwinMightBeWrong

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 03:40 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Japsican wrote:
I wish they made a JSH blade that was actually 87-90 grams. That would be ideal for me. Not the 104, 105gram blades i got in the past. Too heavy.

My workaround for this is to use thinner LP sponges. YMMV but imho there is a noticeable weight difference between a P1R 1-1.3mm and a P4 in 0.3-0.6. The latter has a softer lighter sponge and there is less sponge too. Both of my JSH blades assembled are somewhere between 172 and 174g. I could probably save a couple more g by not using the edge tape but the risk of accidental damage would be higher.

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 03:19 

notfound123 wrote:
Japsican wrote:

My workaround for this is to use thinner LP sponges. YMMV but imho there is a noticeable weight difference between a P1R 1-1.3mm and a P4 in 0.3-0.6. The latter has a softer lighter sponge and there is less sponge too. Both of my JSH blades assembled are somewhere between 172 and 174g. I could probably save a couple more g by not using the edge tape but the risk of accidental damage would be higher.

I tried this. I have the 0.5mm P4. I'm just not a fan of it...not intuitive for me on other blades. The FL3 was far easier for me to figure out blade angles and such, particularly pushing push. I did play the P1R in 0.5mm on the blade as well. Both felt too shrill. Just a preference thing.

One thing I noticed is that the Flared handle version is far more forgiving than the ST. There is more flex and more dampening, and I think, in general it's a tad bit lighter. I've played 2 of them, one belonged to John Olsen (you might know him). It was VERY different than my 2 ST Joo blades. Very different.

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 04:49 

Japsican wrote:
Got the DTECS 9mm sponge in today. Will mount to the VKM and see how it goes.

So, the 2 setups in question are VKM + Dtecs + FH Rubber TBD and a Viscaria + FL3 + Hurricane 3 Max. Could they BE any more different?

Lately I am watching 2 players, Chtchetinine of course and Ruwen Filus. Also a little bit of Angela Guan. Watching Filus and Guan to gleam more insight into why i struggle so much with FL3 at times.

I tried the Dtecs 9mm on the VKM. I really liked how it plays, but it is indeed bouncy and fast as advertised. It's very passive, but sometimes it adds spin, and I don't think my technique or bat speed changed much, so I'm thinking there is something unique about the pips in that they sometimes are reactive to spin, and other times not so much. Chopping, not so much. You can add spin, but not a ton. When I pushed pushes, sometimes the returns were netted, sometimes popped up. I was paying attention too, so not sure why.

Also, there is something strange with the VKM I'm using. It's quite a bit more flexy than my other VKM, and I'm totally struggling with throw angle on chops and pushes. I might mount the to the other VKM or the defplay.

I really like stiffer blades for chopping and flexy blades for looping. I think part of the reason I keep searching is because I'd like both, but I know logically this isn't possible. BUT...I did like John's flexier flared Joo blade. In direct comparison with my ST blade, there was a pretty sizable difference.

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 02:29 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
I really like stiffer blades for chopping and flexy blades for looping. I think part of the reason I keep searching is because I'd like both, but I know logically this isn't possible. BUT...I did like John's flexier flared Joo blade. In direct comparison with my ST blade, there was a pretty sizable difference.

lol I actually prefer stiffer blades for looping and I absolutely love the feel of VKM with P1R for chopping.

Just a thought: if you are torn between the two, you may want to give VKMO a try. It is harder than VKM (less flex) but a tiny bit slower than JSH (thus easier to control ).

I played with it for 6+ months, just couldn't live with its tiny narrow ST handle.

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 03:12 

notfound123 wrote:
Japsican wrote:

lol I actually prefer stiffer blades for looping and I absolutely love the feel of VKM with P1R for chopping.

Just a thought: if you are torn between the two, you may want to give VKMO a try. It is harder than VKM (less flex) but a tiny bit slower than JSH (thus easier to control ).

I played with it for 6+ months, just couldn't live with its tiny narrow ST handle.

That's actually a very good suggestion.

However, last night I revisited an OX LP (Dornenglanz II) on a defplay (I usually play DG I on the defplay) and found it pretty awesome. Also been playing with H3 and really love how much spin I get on serves and chops. Have to re-learn to loop with it, but when I get it, it's super spinny. Still getting used to it and had to adjust my chop a bit against my practice partner. He beat me pretty handily the first 2 games, I won the 3rd, lost the 4th in 5. But the combo is new, so I have to adjust. The H3 is far better for my stroke on the Defplay vs. the Viscaria.

I may have found my new setup for the next season...either DGII or DGI with H3 on a defplay.

I also defeated my team mate, the 1800 level kid who I haven't beaten for several months.

The DG II is safer and more controlled but far less dangerous. I'll have to do more direct comparison, but I think I'm better with the DGII. I tried it before, liked it, but put it down because I didn't garner the same amount of netted balls vs. DG or P-1R. But you know how that goes, could have been the looper, or my technique with the new rubber, whatever. But last night, it gave me a lot of confidence. I don't care about "max underspin" anymore... like many of you I've learned that doesn't really matter. There are few OX pips that chop well, and can offer safety AND manipulation both. I think DGII does. But DG 1 is a monster (against the right opponents)! We'll see. Safety or leathality?

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 13:53 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
notfound123 wrote:

That's actually a very good suggestion.

So here is something funny. I liked my own suggestion so much that I decided to give VKMO another shot :lol: :rofl:
Since I sold last VKMO to pgpg.. I went ahead and got another one :) this time I purposely selected the heaviest blade I could find (94g) wanting it to be as close to JSH speed-wise as possible. Still not JSH-fast but okay for my experiment. I even had my first training session with it today!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 01:01 

I think I have finally settled on a pip. I have been really loving the DG2 lately in Ox. I know that Denis Kalachevskiy plays it in 1.0mm and 0.6mm, not sure which right now. I think 0.6mm these days.

So, I decided to buy 2 sponges from ColesTT, the 30-35 degree yellow Air lemon sponge in bought 0.6mm and 1.0mm. I have tried the 1.0mm sponge on the DG2, and in short, I absolutely LOVE it! It feels like just the right amount of grippiness and just the right about of spin safety. I can definitely add and manipulate spin, but without too much spin sensitivity. It's also fairly fast, which I like. Not too slow like FL3, but not too fast like DTecs. I'd say it's about as fast as Easy P, if you've every tried that. It's about as dampening as well when defending (Braking?) however, on active shots, like

But the feeling...it's so..."juicy." That's the only way I can describe it. Huge dwell time, and a nice 'springy' feeling...springy but not too bouncy. I fail to describe the feeling.

I played with it during league, and only against 1500 level or less players, but I won my group, and I felt comfortable right away. It isn't as dampening as P-1R. I can't speak to the top-end underspin, but it's manipulation and spin-adding properties are really good. And it's passive blocking is still there, something rare with 1.0mm grippy rubbers. My bumping game wasn't as good, not used to doing that yet. Of course, 1.0mm rubber makes that more difficult, but I think with some adjustment I can get it eventually.

I will be ordering another DG2 to put on the 0,6mm Air Lemon sponge.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 02:35 

Interesting double inverted chopper at my club. Around 1800, very controlled. Recently adopted a chopping style, maybe around a year ago. He is very controlled and patient. He makes full use the contact point and is cognizant of the poles with regard to spin. He is 1818 USATT, and in the video below playing a penholder who is between 1900-2000. I think he is in his 70s... funny enough, he plays with Viscaria! with Sriver on the BH and Tenergy 05 on the FH. I have a similar viscaria setup that I play with, but far less effectively.

BTW, does the penholder look like anyone to you?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 00:21 

Have you guys played with Gambler MechTek Predator? Holy monkey...people have been comparing it to Tenergy 05...i think in terms of grip it might be a little more. The feel and catapult are similar for sure. I have only tried it on a Defplay Senso which had 05 on the back. I think it's the GMTP might actually be spinnier on serves, and it might be a hair slower...However, the speed is so similar, that I change my mind each time I play with it as to which is faster.

At a mere 14 bucks, I might order 2 max sheets for my double inverted Viscaria setup to see how that feels vs. the Tenergy.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 03:19 

Wow...been a while. I'm just going to ramble...so forgive how disjointed and unorganized this post will be.

I have been in style limbo for the better part of a year. Partially because I have so little time to play that I know I can't improve. So, as a way to maintain my interest in TT, I have been goofing around with penhold and double inverted, short pips, yada yada. Also been rolling (Jiu Jitsu) more often than I had in the past...

I think I can settle down again now that school is over for me (yay), get back to playing maybe twice a week...if I'm lucky. IMO that really isn't enough time to "improve" much through training and coaching. So I want to maximize my effectiveness with the level I am currently at, but still have fun.

Chopping is fun. I like it. But there are some technical things about my backhand chop I don't think I can correct without a lot of training. My BH chop has gone ugly. I mean...ugly. Aesthetically it's god awful now, and it makes me not want to play chop. And I feel like if I'm going to be away from the table, I'm too much of a sitting duck.

I have considered being more at the table. I do this as my "B" game when "A" fails. I'm not the biggest fan of passive push blocking, of course I realize there is a place for it. I feel like the new ball has really marginalized this style, but at the same time I feel like I need to be at the table more. I do chop block pretty well...I like active LP blocking styles like John Wetzler.

The other issue I have is that my BH topspin is far better than my FH topspin. By a mile. So playing material on my BH kind of marginalizes my attacking possibilities. Again, I don't really think I have time to improve my FH...which by the way I have been working on for my entire TT career. My forehand is surprisingly good for opening. I can block on my FH. And I run around my back hand to loop under or drive top. But my loop vs. topsin is straight up sad. In those cases I chop..

I need a hack. Otherwise, I'm starting to lose interest due to the lack of time.

Last edited by Japsican on 05 Dec 2018, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 04:56 
Super User

Hey Japsican!

What do you mean, "I need hack"?

Some people use the same rubber and blade for their whole career. Maybe that takes a different kind of personality? [Like Gao Jun.]

Some people might experiment for some time, because "inquiring minds want to know", but are always drawn toward certain things, always ending up there. The trick would be recognizing those things you can never let go.

Some people try a style they admire (and the equipment supporting it), but are able to quickly decide that it isn't suitable for some reason, and they're able to move on with peace of mind. [Like after I "knew" I would never play like He Zhiwen, and was able to let it go.]

Some people might have a model player and a model style in their mind but have modified it to suit themselves (once they figure out what "suit themselves" means). An example would be playing like Chtchetinine but with thicker sponge.
Myself, the outline of the game of Zhou Xintong stays in my mind, but I'm using a lp OX with a little more grip, and inverted on the other side of my cpen instead of sp. (I play an inverted game half of the time, and "can't let that go".)

Some things are set deeply in the personality and psychology. [This affected the way I played chess, and the chess players I admired. So I've been aware of this issue, of needing to play in a way that does not satisfy something deep inside (i.e., leaving one unhappy with playing, despite winning games), because one recognizes that *the nature of a game* can place certain demands in reality, regardless of our feelings.] A good example is someone who is temperamentally suited to be a "positional player" (let's say) like Chtchetinine, Gao Jun etc, but who is ordered by a coach to use double inverted and drill the usual offensive game. Or one who recognizes (or believes he recognizes) an objective advantage in reality to double inverted, and thus decides to play that way, and in some sense is never happy with it. Maybe many people like that never know they aren't happy with it, because they never tried the niches, etc.

Are there some things you would never be happy abandoning, even though you know it costs you games?
Are you more interested in "self-actualization" and creativity and self-expression - via occupying a niche - than you are in winning?

It might be possible to find the things you love, and forever never care that you'll never be as good as your model.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 06:33 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Japsican wrote:
I need hack. Otherwise, I'm starting to lose interest due to the lack of time.

May be you can go in a really 'weird' direction, like putting antispin(LP?) on FH and instill fear into your opponents, while spinning up your BH. I played a guy like that at the Teams and FH was very disturbing. I did end up winning comfortably in the end, but your level is already much higher than his, so you might have even more potential there.

Or experiment more with LP at the table. There are a LOT of shots you can explore there, besides pushing and blocking. I'm still discovering some and they are fun.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 12:58 

Zhaoyang wrote:
Hey Japsican!

What do you mean, "I need hack?”

Typo. I meant I need *a* hack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!