OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holy Chtchet!
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 05:18 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Japsican wrote:
As for my terrible FH, I've been working on this for 2 years so it's always on the training regimine. Nobody has really been able to crack the code. I'm too stiff, and I know it when I watch video, but while playing I am as loose as I can be. So, if it comes it comes otherwise I'm done obsessing about that. Just like my FH chop, I couldn't get it, until one day it was there. I'm hoping the same to happen with my FH loop, because intense training has not done the trick. It's gotten better, but still far below what it needs to be.

Congratz: you've just gave your body the opportunity to learn a FH loop. One question: did you ever loop a ball really well (during a game or practice)? Thinking like: this is it.

Japsican wrote:
Roy wrote:
So, if you play with LP and don't have consistency, you should really think about your equipment, your training or your mind set to play "boring" balls.

Are you implying I should change my equipment? I think that's really the first time someone's told me that here. LOL

I think he meant you don't need to use LP if you don't have that consistency.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 12:40 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Lorre wrote:
Congratz: you've just gave your body the opportunity to learn a FH loop.

Yep...working in sports medicine I understand the idea that neuropathways make connections during times of rest. So, I'm not going to force it.

Quote:
One question: did you ever loop a ball really well (during a game or practice)? Thinking like: this is it.

Yes, I have indeed done really good loops in practice, and while being coached...coaches and friends confirm it was to form. But even in practice I'd say that 20% are fine, 80% are either not good form, or good form but far too stiff. I'm fairly muscular and my friend Bryan (2300, coaches at the club) swears it's because I'm too muscular :lol: ). But in a game, I only do a decent loop when I'm opening (Which is rare when I play with LPs). Or if I have lots of time. Counter loop? nah. Counter drive or hit, sure.

Der Echte says I am doing something strange with my shoulders. It's all the above.

But there is good news.

Tonight I played with my old double inverted modern D setup: Defplay, Reflectoid 1.5mm...but I had a random FH rubber, this time it's was Air Defender 1.5mm (which I like, but I need a tensor instead).

I played very well. My practice partner was wondering if he was just used to playing vs. LPs and that's the reason for why it seemed to work better. I think I am just better at predicting throw angle with inverted. And since my backhand is far more consistent than my FH for topspin strokes, I was able to perform some opening shots, and had a lot of good fishing on the bh strokes. BH chops were good, except for the balls toward my body, which was the problem last time I experimented with double inverted. I have no idea how Satoshi Aida, Joanna Drinkhall, and Nikolay Telnoy do it. Crazy hard to accomplish a good BH chop vs. really spinny loops when they are aimed at your body.

What was really effective were BH blocks, BH flicks, and smashes. I attacked on both wings twice as much as when I play with LPs. I'm telling you it's all in my head.

That being said, I was happy with how I played. I didn't play anyone with unconventional sidespin serves though, which has been the issue in the past as well...with inverted.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 16:23 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Japsican wrote:

Haha, well...depends on how much money. Any cure for the stiffness other then telling me to "relax" like everyone else does? A lot of my problem stems from there...

Thanks Dr. NL, you're the best! 8)

As a coach once said, telling someone to relax is not technical advice.

Just have to look at your ability to facilitate whip mechanics and to find a motion that works for you. There isn't only one looping motion out there. Some are just more powerful than others and some are safer than others from a consistency standpoint.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 03:37 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I've only been playing TT for maybe 5-6 months, almost no formal training at ALL (except for 5 one hour beginner beginner sessions on Thursdays my 2nd month of TT), and relying on videos, the TT community and whatnot, looking into the mirror, etc. so I have almost no say at all, but I've found that having a warmup session helps a LOT before playing. Stretch your legs, your arms, waist, sides, neck, everywhere. Maybe jog in place for 20 seconds and get pumped. Personally, I find that doing this avoids bad performance in general. I know that men be you've already done this, but for me it works, so I hope it helps you too. I absolutely love TT, my love for this sport will never die out! :rofl: I hope you guys like it as much as I do.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 03:51 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Danthespearton wrote:
I've found that having a warmup session helps a LOT before playing. Stretch your legs, your arms, waist, sides, neck, everywhere. Maybe jog in place for 20 seconds and get pumped. Personally, I find that doing this avoids bad performance in general.

My old coach used to say that a warm up is worth 4-5 points over a match. Big big difference. Most people don't bother. When I do, I definitely play better.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 07:09 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Holy Batman it is 2x Inverted JASPICON FTW. At the club...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 08:12 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

By the way, Brett tried Defender S on someone's blade in NC and liked it for the price. He said that for something that costs less than 20% of Tenergy it sure played better than 20% of Tenergy in terms of value and was reasonable stuff.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 11:13 

NextLevel wrote:
By the way, Brett tried Defender S on someone's blade in NC and liked it for the price. He said that for something that costs less than 20% of Tenergy it sure played better than 20% of Tenergy in terms of value and was reasonable stuff.

Interesting you say that, because i played with Marder II today, and the rubber I removed from that blade was the Defender S. I really like it too, the only reason I took it off was that it was a thin rubber at 1.5 and I wanted a thicker rubber on the FH. That being said, I also liked the Marder II, which is what Telnoy plays with. I tried it a long time ago on the Sword 309 blade and hated it.. I couldn't recall why. At first, i was looping everything into the net because of the throw angle and was like "Oh yeah! That's why!" I adjusted and i think Gman can attest, I hit a lot of winners with my forehand...something I don't often but for the highest of pop-ups.

And for chops, wow I really loved it. Gonna stick with this for a while...Reflectoid (RED) 1.5 on the BH, Marder II (BLK) 2.0 on the FH. I DO have another Marder II 2.0 in Red that I might try on the BH....I love the Reflectoid for chopping, but I found I could actually use some added power on the BH for both chops and punches. But the block with the reflectoid, very disturbing.

I did lose to one 1400 level player, who has an awkward serve, they were all close games though. Otherwise I played very well today...lots of attacking and good defending, where as I tend to do too much defending as a LP chopper.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 11:18 

Danthespearton wrote:
I've only been playing TT for maybe 5-6 months, almost no formal training at ALL (except for 5 one hour beginner beginner sessions on Thursdays my 2nd month of TT), and relying on videos, the TT community and whatnot, looking into the mirror, etc. so I have almost no say at all, but I've found that having a warmup session helps a LOT before playing. Stretch your legs, your arms, waist, sides, neck, everywhere. Maybe jog in place for 20 seconds and get pumped. Personally, I find that doing this avoids bad performance in general. I know that men be you've already done this, but for me it works, so I hope it helps you too. I absolutely love TT, my love for this sport will never die out! :rofl: I hope you guys like it as much as I do.

Ha, yes I warm up every time...and for me it's a must. I need to warm up for at least 30min if I want to perform at all. That being said, you don't always get the chance so sometimes i'll purposely not warm up to condition myself how to deal with this in case it happens...and it will.

LordCope wrote:
My old coach used to say that a warm up is worth 4-5 points over a match. Big big difference. Most people don't bother. When I do, I definitely play better.

Probably more than that for me.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 23:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
One of my old teammates looks like a complete noob without a warm up. When he starts a warm-up he hits shots that look like he's almost never played TT, letalone play at the level he has played. He played with me about 2 years ago, and we went separate ways after just a season as he and the other teammate of that season won just 25% each. The season after he played in another team and beat me both times we played. Since then we haven't played, and he has only filled-in in some seasons (often in my team, but also in the grade below). Seeings as he hasn't kept his hand in so much, his game hasn't come along much..but there is still a stark difference between him with no warm up and him with a warm up.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 06:32 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

NextLevel wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Haha, well...depends on how much money. Any cure for the stiffness other then telling me to "relax" like everyone else does? A lot of my problem stems from there...

Just have to look at your ability to facilitate whip mechanics and to find a motion that works for you. There isn't only one looping motion out there. Some are just more powerful than others and some are safer than others from a consistency standpoint.

This is how you know whether you are sufficiently relaxed or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooOY8AqK60c

One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

NextLevel wrote:
Japsican wrote:

This is how you know whether you are sufficiently relaxed or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooOY8AqK60c

One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Duplicated.

Last edited by NextLevel on 13 Sep 2016, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Duplicated.

Last edited by NextLevel on 13 Sep 2016, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 06:33 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Triple post - must be a record... Unless it's a way to get your message across.

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next